Arrow : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 10, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.2

1. Oct 12, 2012
    It's the best series premiere of this fall season. Everything is right and it has a thing that reminds me of Batman Begins. I only hope they keep it that way.
  2. Feb 19, 2015
    Great first season which just gets better in the second. The action is on par with shows like the walking dead and 24. The acting gets better with every episode.
  3. May 19, 2013
    Truthfully an amazing superhero show, that is perfect, since Smallville said farewell in 2011. The action scenes are brilliant, and the actress who plays Felicity, is my favorite. I am scared about how this will fare, when ABC airs Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. in the fall. I have faith though, and I believe this show is gonna stick around for a while.
  4. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Arrow is a a fresh and new show with a different, and edgy theme. I think its dramatic, and action mix keeps us viewer on the edge of our seat, and restless for more. It fits in the trend of giving a twist to a story commonly told, and the plot is well sequenced. I truly think it is a show with a long and prosporous future Expand
  5. Mar 2, 2013
    Surprisingly well written and produced show from what is generally a teen soap trash network (CW). I was expecting Good lucking young actors in a poorly acted and written soap with more romantic intrigue than mystery, emotional depth or character development. What I go tinstead was only a few of those, which I can stomach. The acting is still subpar and leave much to be desired, but theSurprisingly well written and produced show from what is generally a teen soap trash network (CW). I was expecting Good lucking young actors in a poorly acted and written soap with more romantic intrigue than mystery, emotional depth or character development. What I go tinstead was only a few of those, which I can stomach. The acting is still subpar and leave much to be desired, but the writing is very tight and the moderation of romantic fluff is appreciated. Yes, it is still filled with hotties making the the whole thing less believable, but a female viewership is always on the CW's mind. Expand
  6. Feb 7, 2013
    Very good depiction of one of DC's main characters. I love this version of Oliver Queen and despite many people's opinions, I love this show. I have followed DC comics from my early years and have watched almost everything by DC (movies/shows). The plot is intense and the flashback to his days on the island are very insightful and very well incorporated into his life on a day-to-day basis.Very good depiction of one of DC's main characters. I love this version of Oliver Queen and despite many people's opinions, I love this show. I have followed DC comics from my early years and have watched almost everything by DC (movies/shows). The plot is intense and the flashback to his days on the island are very insightful and very well incorporated into his life on a day-to-day basis. The writers reference others in the Green Arrow's comic book world very well. They foreshadow characters like the villains Dark Archer and Merlin or even a potential side kick "Speedy", very important characters in Oliver's comic book universe. The pilot of kind of rocky but improved exponentially as each episode passed. Looking forward to a season 2. Expand
  7. Feb 8, 2013
    As a porting from a comic I think is wonderful. Many people in these reviews either don't know the subject or know it too much, so the first make comparisons with Batman, others complains about not being enough true to the comic.

Green Arrow can actually be similar to Batman... it's a rich man that turn vigilante... but it's also very different because his alter ego is born from a desire for redemption (for being a careless playboy) and not revenge for the death of his parents. So it's a more "flamboyant" hero (his inspiration is Robin Hood), but is also a survivor and a "ex bad-boy" so has less moral ties than Batman (he has no problem killing villains). It's darker than Batman as setting, with more "city crime" (Italian, Chinese, Russian Mafia, white collars criminals, etc...) and less "freaky" villains.

The show is in the middle... this Ollie only pretend to be a playboy (the comic version character retains some of these traits) and the introduction on the show of (impossible?) love affairs keeps him away from the hill. And then there is relationship with the family, that make the series also more "family drama".

I think it's a good compromise, and I like it.

Amell has the right body and attitude for the playboy super-hero... maybe not (yet) the right acting skill... but he can improve... the others are good, especially the mother.
    I like also the flashback of his 5 years on the island... maybe all the show filmed in the city would be a little boring, and it help understand the character.

Good story and camera don't hurt either...
  8. Feb 24, 2013
    I went into this show while desperately looking for something replacing the feeling I had watching other hero/vigilante movies/series. I had to eat a lot of bad apples to find this one good one, but it was worth it.
    The story starts off a bit hard to follow, but when you know the characters it's just one amazing web of links between flashbacks, modern day-story and deep psychological brain-food.
    If you like action in between the typical 'I'm a rich guy I do what I want', there's no reason not to watch it. It's amazing and anyone who says otherwise just doesn't get the thoughts behind it.
  9. Jun 18, 2013
    This is an outstanding show. DC Comic fans are given a show the almost entirely made for them and them alone. A very Smallville like show, Arrow follows the story of Oliver Queen, aka, the famous Green Arrow! The shows brings characters to life, such as the Huntress, Black Canary, Deathstroke, and Deadshot.
  10. Nov 13, 2013
    I like big Hollywood comic book movies, but they should all be ashamed on the amount of money they spend on production compared to what this show accomplished in it's finale. It was phenomenal.
  11. Oct 11, 2012
    The pilot episodes does what's it suppose to do, draw us in to the episode. The episode itself is well done and David Nutter is directing. Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen does good in this episode and I am going to follow this series for now....
  12. Oct 12, 2012
    WOW! Good beginning for a superhero. Arrow really proved to be a better series than I thought it would be. It has that vibe, that potential and moreover, the storyline can be really good if written and edited properly. Although there were few mistakes in the pilot and editing sucked at times but I hope the future episodes will be better and well crafted.
  13. Dec 15, 2012
    What a great show. Once you "get it" it's hard to let go. While some have a hard time jumping in and watching bits and pieces the show is full of good action and a consistent storyline. The acting has been consistent, mixing fun and serious tones together frequently. Given that the show is on the CW, hopefully it'll stay on for a long while, although I'd love to see what could be done withWhat a great show. Once you "get it" it's hard to let go. While some have a hard time jumping in and watching bits and pieces the show is full of good action and a consistent storyline. The acting has been consistent, mixing fun and serious tones together frequently. Given that the show is on the CW, hopefully it'll stay on for a long while, although I'd love to see what could be done with a huge budget. Expand
  14. Dec 30, 2012
    I love this show! It is so interesting!! And the guy who plays Oliver is SUPER attractive!:)
    Every episode I watch just gets better and better! I am super excited to see what happens when it comes back!
  15. Jan 1, 2013
    This show rocks. It is darker and deeper than Smallville. The new Oliver has a darker persona than the one in Smallville. The CW hit this one out of the park.
  16. Mar 17, 2013
    What do you get when you mix Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy with 'Gossip Girl'? You get one of this season's surprising hit: a version of super hero Green Arrow, brought to live in a typical Nolan-esque fashion. It reminds me a lot of another excellent (albeit short lived) TV series based on the Flash, released several short years after Burton's Batman. Sure, it tries to pander to the CW'sWhat do you get when you mix Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy with 'Gossip Girl'? You get one of this season's surprising hit: a version of super hero Green Arrow, brought to live in a typical Nolan-esque fashion. It reminds me a lot of another excellent (albeit short lived) TV series based on the Flash, released several short years after Burton's Batman. Sure, it tries to pander to the CW's usual target market: containing hearthrob such as Steve Ammel and Katie Cassidy, but hey..it works. It also brought one of DC's B-Grade super hero into the limelight. Great stuff. Expand
  17. Oct 16, 2012
    Wow.. I wasn't expecting that! I know violence shouldn't be used to prop up a show but it works! People actually get shot and killed in full view. Yeah sometimes there's clever editing but Oliver Queen actually kills bad guys!? That's a first! (For TV any way). You have to suspend belief for a super hero show by the way... I see some reviewers complaining you see... If you call forWow.. I wasn't expecting that! I know violence shouldn't be used to prop up a show but it works! People actually get shot and killed in full view. Yeah sometimes there's clever editing but Oliver Queen actually kills bad guys!? That's a first! (For TV any way). You have to suspend belief for a super hero show by the way... I see some reviewers complaining you see... If you call for reality then a lot of human supers would die in issue 1 or episode one! And the Batman comparison... The character is from from the same universe! And also.. You could always say the Batman model of the last 20 years was stolen from ninja's no? There's a lot of Michael Mann in Nolan's Batman.. He ain't that original.. Face it a lot of things are going be like Batman.. It's freakin comic book world! When you are an edgy Green Arrow what else can you do? Back to the review... The acting is Smallville standard, everybody is hot and the pacing is good. Don't expect comic book Green Arrow though.. Just like how Smallville is different to comic book Superman.
    Anyway if you liked all the other super hero TV shows then you'd like this.
  18. Oct 13, 2012
    For the comic book action drama types for the local tv this one hits the nail on the head. In terms of its production quality, acting and story line it is much better done than many other shows that is attempting to get into the sci fi, comic book, fantasy type genre. Yeah I know you could each of these into separate categories but face it were talking about this appealing to the sameFor the comic book action drama types for the local tv this one hits the nail on the head. In terms of its production quality, acting and story line it is much better done than many other shows that is attempting to get into the sci fi, comic book, fantasy type genre. Yeah I know you could each of these into separate categories but face it were talking about this appealing to the same demographic. The guy who watched smallville and thinks revolution is cool. Is the same guy that will like this. However this is much better done. Granted with any comic book flicks there are some unbelievable things like dodging machine gun fire. But this is a action show that you and your 10 your old son could watch together without it being over the top with violence and blood. Honestly I don't see my self watching this but if this type of genre is your thing this is surly going to be a hit for you. Expand
  19. rah
    Nov 1, 2012
    First and foremost, this is a comic based tv show, and one I find hugely entertaining. It is not an exploitation of batman, it is a separate series that has been established for decades. It does however ask us to suspend our disbelief, but that is what all great comics do. Arrow is able to hold my attention from beginning to end and gives me something to look forward to week after week. IFirst and foremost, this is a comic based tv show, and one I find hugely entertaining. It is not an exploitation of batman, it is a separate series that has been established for decades. It does however ask us to suspend our disbelief, but that is what all great comics do. Arrow is able to hold my attention from beginning to end and gives me something to look forward to week after week. I highly recommend watch this incredible tv show. Expand
  20. Feb 14, 2013
    The last episode (14) was unwatchable because of the flashbacks (ad nauseam), Too bad. Most of the show was our Arrow boy hurt or showing how he became tough. Non of this added to the story even though it is a comic...
  21. Nov 10, 2012
    This could have been a spectaclar show it has a great story which maintains a balance between comic world and reality but its flaw is its choppy and stupid editing the fight scene are i mean gr8 but seriouly bullets went through him in two episodes but he was not hit and in many other scenes finishing was very choppy u want to love this show but u cannot get beside the fact of editing yesThis could have been a spectaclar show it has a great story which maintains a balance between comic world and reality but its flaw is its choppy and stupid editing the fight scene are i mean gr8 but seriouly bullets went through him in two episodes but he was not hit and in many other scenes finishing was very choppy u want to love this show but u cannot get beside the fact of editing yes it is true it does not ahve that deep of a story as dexter breaking bad the wire etc but its a very enjoyable well written comicbook story suitable for all ages i say i am impressed by the show especially the way they are showing him being trained on the island that is gr8 i wud say this show is gr8 gud action, gud story,welldirected,well acted i hope if there is a next season which most probably will be they get rid of there mistakes especially get a better editor Expand
  22. Oct 30, 2012
    Don't expect Arrow to be the next great thing. But if you put your mind on the right setting, it may be a pretty enjoyable show. The action sequences are very fun to watch and Stephen Arnell is a solid lead as Oliver Queen since he's likeable and believable as a badass antihero. The acting is decent, but the corny and contrived dialogue doesn't help you to take the show any seriously.Don't expect Arrow to be the next great thing. But if you put your mind on the right setting, it may be a pretty enjoyable show. The action sequences are very fun to watch and Stephen Arnell is a solid lead as Oliver Queen since he's likeable and believable as a badass antihero. The acting is decent, but the corny and contrived dialogue doesn't help you to take the show any seriously. Specially the unnecessary pop culture jokes, which get annoying after a while and will be dated in 3 years. Even though the plot has every single superhero story cliche you can think of, it keeps you interested to know what happens next. Arrow isn't as cheesy as Smallville, nor as dark and gritty as the Christopher Nolan Batman films, it's somewhere right in the middle, which is a nice place to be. Expand
  23. Oct 26, 2012
    "Arrow" is a great production to bring to life the crime-fighting Green Arrow. It keeps you wondering and questioning, while also including action and other D.C. characters.
  24. Nov 16, 2012
    Think of this show as a made for TV version of Batman Begins. By that I mean the plot, characters, somewhat dark tone (music and style) are very similar to Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. The quality of each hour long episode is of course not the same as that of a 70 million dollar blockbuster but the show is very solid and surprisingly addictive. Perhaps more than anything else, whatThink of this show as a made for TV version of Batman Begins. By that I mean the plot, characters, somewhat dark tone (music and style) are very similar to Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. The quality of each hour long episode is of course not the same as that of a 70 million dollar blockbuster but the show is very solid and surprisingly addictive. Perhaps more than anything else, what makes this show good is Stephen Amell who is very likable and a legitimately talented actor. The rest of the cast is not bad at all either.

My advice, is manage your expectations and give the pilot a watch and it will give you a good idea of what to expect, i'd be surprised if you didn't tune in for another afterwards... (watch most recent episodes free on CW website).
  25. Nov 30, 2012
    Terrific superhero take. Much like Batman begins and Kung fu (the original TV series) with multiple flash backs pertaining to the current reality. Casting is well done, as Stephen Amell actually looks like an athlete capable of performing feats asked of an action star. So many times shows and movies have actors that in no way would be able to perform physically the feats asked of them,Terrific superhero take. Much like Batman begins and Kung fu (the original TV series) with multiple flash backs pertaining to the current reality. Casting is well done, as Stephen Amell actually looks like an athlete capable of performing feats asked of an action star. So many times shows and movies have actors that in no way would be able to perform physically the feats asked of them, I.E. Rodger Moore or Pierce Brosnan as Bond; Michael Keaton as Batman etc.

This show surprised me in a good way as it
  26. Dec 2, 2012
    This show is a testament to DC Comics ability to become real life action. Makes me think of how cool the Justice League movie will be. I believe CW is a seasoned DC comic live action provider from having small ville also. This is a show for someone who appreciates seeing their comics come to life like me but not for people who want to see another drama like Dexter or the coveted Homeland.This show is a testament to DC Comics ability to become real life action. Makes me think of how cool the Justice League movie will be. I believe CW is a seasoned DC comic live action provider from having small ville also. This is a show for someone who appreciates seeing their comics come to life like me but not for people who want to see another drama like Dexter or the coveted Homeland. If you like DC you will love this show. I am waiting for Oliver's sister to become speedy his sidekick because she already has the nickname so it is inevitable. Expand
  27. Apr 23, 2013
    Magnifica serie te atrae desde el principio y te obliga a seguirla hasta el final, Llena de accion, comedia, de todo un poco y sobre todo de mucho misterio sobre el protagonista
  28. Dec 8, 2012
    This is a well done take on the Green Arrow by the CW, though I must say I wish they'd have used Justin Hartley and kept it in the Smallville universe for cross overs (who wouldn't mind seeing Tom Welling kick some butt, right?). But then again, this is a great show on its own so I digress.

Stephen Amell is a great Green Arrow. He plays the arrogant, rich playboy quite well, and the action and atmosphere he creates in his scenes is quite true to form. The whole hiding your identity underneath some face paint and a hood thing is as ridiculous as super man's alter ego donning glasses and being unrecognizable, but overlooking that there's not a lot wrong with the show. If I really had to nitpick, I'd say that there's a bit too much going on away from the main plot (who cares about the billionaire best friend hitting on 'that one girl'? Not me...) and Willa Holland was dangerously under used. Other than that, this is my new Smallville equivalent super hero show. Not as good, but very good none the less.
  29. Mar 1, 2013
    I went into this thinking that it would be boring, but it proved me wrong. The show has a great plot that has so many twists that you never know what to expect
  30. Feb 12, 2013
    Arrow is not the best television show you will ever see, there are instances of pacing issues and certain action scenes are a tad disappointing but my word its great fun. The rebirthing of The DC Comic's character Green Arrow is rugged, stylish and swift and offers plenty of game characterisations. The acting is not groundbreaking but dedicated and charming. Arrow is plagued by the oddArrow is not the best television show you will ever see, there are instances of pacing issues and certain action scenes are a tad disappointing but my word its great fun. The rebirthing of The DC Comic's character Green Arrow is rugged, stylish and swift and offers plenty of game characterisations. The acting is not groundbreaking but dedicated and charming. Arrow is plagued by the odd filler episodes but it hits the target more often than not and I have great fun watching it every week. Reccomended. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Nov 12, 2012
    The CW's best show since Gossip Girl.... it has a forthright narrative seriousness, a respect for the gobbledy-gook that makes up any superhero's backstory--and a game cast performing with the correct degree of seriousness. [19 Nov 2012, p.35]
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Oct 23, 2012
    Your interest in Arrow depends on how much you miss the troubled-in-love, conflicted-by-family heroics of Smallville--it mirrors that series' setup.
  3. Reviewed by: Lori Rackl
    Oct 10, 2012
    This slick action-drama is based on the comic book superhero Green Arrow. Prepare to quiver.