Avatar: The Legend of Korra : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.4

1. Feb 13, 2016
    Usually it doesn't get to a point where a show somehow like this becomes just sat right next to the original. If you want the best kind of Avatar show for our generation, this is it.
  2. Jun 24, 2012
    This show has struck me as an even more powerful storytelling show than the original series. I always adored the original series as a visual marvel and this one is no different. Its pure art.
  3. Jul 5, 2013
    "The Legend of Korra" is visually stunning, and has almost of the the "elements" from the first series to match its wit and spunk. The first season shows us the next avatar Korra, who is the opposite of Aang, and struggles with the spiritual side of being the avatar. Korra must face Amon, a nonbender who can take a bender's bending away, and he is frightening. With a vicious antagonist"The Legend of Korra" is visually stunning, and has almost of the the "elements" from the first series to match its wit and spunk. The first season shows us the next avatar Korra, who is the opposite of Aang, and struggles with the spiritual side of being the avatar. Korra must face Amon, a nonbender who can take a bender's bending away, and he is frightening. With a vicious antagonist and his army, "The Legend of Korra" is full of suspense and has a great plot. When the season closes, the situation though feels closed too fast, and almost everything feels done, but Korra's next season proves otherwise. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2013
    Legend of Korra is not Avatar, there I said it.
    This series should be taken on its own merits and not compared to the original series, it's a wonderfully entertaining first series expansion of the Last Airbender universe, which up to now we've not seen anything else(discounting the comics, which are brilliant btw) it shows what happens after saving the world.
    As of now Season 2 is just
    Legend of Korra is not Avatar, there I said it.
    As of now Season 2 is just around the corner, so catch it on DVD or any local available download service, it's worth it.
  5. Jul 10, 2012
    My only complaint is the fact that Nick only ordered a total 26 episodes for the ENTIRE SERIES of The Legend of Korra, only a little over a normal TV season like that of The Last Airbender, but is deciding to cram two whole seasons worth of plot into it. I don't think people realized how much actually happened in the season compared to The Last Airbender. No filler episodes actuallyMy only complaint is the fact that Nick only ordered a total 26 episodes for the ENTIRE SERIES of The Legend of Korra, only a little over a normal TV season like that of The Last Airbender, but is deciding to cram two whole seasons worth of plot into it. I don't think people realized how much actually happened in the season compared to The Last Airbender. No filler episodes actually happened, which is why I'm only giving the show a 9. "A point off for NO filler episodes? Wouldn't you actually WANT them?" you must be asking yourself. Well, in the case of Avatar, the filler episodes can actually be the best standout ones that fans actually love. The Southern Raiders, Ember Island Players, Tales of Ba Sing Se, and The Puppetmaster are some of my favorites, and they were just filler episodes! So yes, The Lgend of Korra is a fantastic show, but it's incredibly rushed because of the season orders it was given by Nick. Expand
  6. Jun 7, 2013
    It didn't have the same magic that The Last Airbender had, but the show was still enjoyable. The characters were likable, although the development was lacking when compared to its predecessor. The ending of the season also felt a bit rushed. The animation itself was top-notch. Some of the characters, namely Tenzin and Lin Bei Fong, were very well done and were given good backstories.It didn't have the same magic that The Last Airbender had, but the show was still enjoyable. The characters were likable, although the development was lacking when compared to its predecessor. The ending of the season also felt a bit rushed. The animation itself was top-notch. Some of the characters, namely Tenzin and Lin Bei Fong, were very well done and were given good backstories. I also found the history between the two series to be interesting. I'm still not fully sold on the Avatar herself, but based on the last scenes I am confidant that she will become an even better character. While not as good as the original, it is still better than many cartoons today. Expand
  7. Oct 17, 2014
    70 years have past, and Aang, the previous Avatar incarnation who was the last airbender has passed on. A waterbender from the Southern Water Tribe is the now the new Avatar. Her name is Korra, a girl who is rebellious, alone, and ready to take on whatever issues or battles she must face. It is Korra's destiny to protect the world as it was for her predecessors. She has three elements70 years have past, and Aang, the previous Avatar incarnation who was the last airbender has passed on. A waterbender from the Southern Water Tribe is the now the new Avatar. Her name is Korra, a girl who is rebellious, alone, and ready to take on whatever issues or battles she must face. It is Korra's destiny to protect the world as it was for her predecessors. She has three elements mastered: water, earth, and fire. The trouble is, she needs to master air while there are very few airbenders left. Tenzin, Aang and Katara's son, is the only person who can teach Korra how to airbend and it is her mission to find him or risk losing the new world's industrial melting pot, Republic City, to crime and anti-bender revolts. Expand
  8. Jun 15, 2012
    Not nearly as good as The Last Airbender, but this new series is definitely superior to many new animated series' and is emotionally involving and greatly written as well.
  9. Jun 18, 2012
    Better than A:TLA, Korra is very cool and the story is very very good, it will be interesting to find out who/what Amon is in the Finale and if Korra will enter the Avatar State, much more grown up, so more to my age now (16), very good, I was of the right age to watch A:TLA (in that it is what they said kids should be to understand all of it properly) and that was amazing, but this is 70Better than A:TLA, Korra is very cool and the story is very very good, it will be interesting to find out who/what Amon is in the Finale and if Korra will enter the Avatar State, much more grown up, so more to my age now (16), very good, I was of the right age to watch A:TLA (in that it is what they said kids should be to understand all of it properly) and that was amazing, but this is 70 steps above that :) (like this if you get the reference!!) Expand
  10. Jul 22, 2013
    I never thought I'd say this, but Avatar: The Legend of Korra is superior to the original series. Everything about it is just awesome. Korra is a far more interesting character than Aang, the setting is cooler, and the story is shorter and sweeter. It takes everything great about the original series and just amps it up, creating one hell of a show.
  11. Jun 7, 2012
    Mike and Bryan have done it yet again. The Legend of Korra is one of the greatest animated series of all time much like its predecessor;with its sharp writing,beautiful animation,breathtaking action sequences it is sure grab you from its very first episode! Episode 8 is my favourite so far and i can't wait to see all the old characters and also see where the story is headed after our BookMike and Bryan have done it yet again. The Legend of Korra is one of the greatest animated series of all time much like its predecessor;with its sharp writing,beautiful animation,breathtaking action sequences it is sure grab you from its very first episode! Episode 8 is my favourite so far and i can't wait to see all the old characters and also see where the story is headed after our Book 1 Finale which im sure will be amazing! Expand
  12. Jul 11, 2012
    i know its different from ATLA but i still loved it because in this series there older so there's more complexity to there stories because theirs more to tell and we might actually find out what happened to zukos mom plus the season finale was amazing the best was korras air bending all in all if you havent watched this series i think you should
  13. Jun 5, 2015
    Just an Amazing first season! I personally though that this show would be complete garbage compared to "The Last Airbender" but I was wrong in every way. The time setting for "The Legend of Korra" is great. The show has a great plot, tons of action and Incredible characters! TLOK is very interesting and unique! A great sequel to ATLA!
  14. Jun 21, 2012
    Visually it is breathtaking, and the plot is clever and original. This is one of the few shows that I have cried in one scene and in the next wanting more. Nickelodeon has outdone its self again. Although it will never be as good as the original, Korra is pretty damn close!
  15. Mar 17, 2015
    The story is perfect, the quality and sounds are incredible, the chars are deep. This is even better than the first one. This can't be a child cartoon, it is very mature and full with good lessons and teachings about life and the world. At the same time it is a lot of action. This is a masterpiece!
  16. Mar 8, 2014
    Legend of korra isn't as good as ATLAB but its a nice sequel if you can call it that) for lovers of the first avatar. i like how you get to see how the future shaped up after the end of last airbender and how some of the characters descendants lives turn out. the animations/artwork are gorgeous and well done. acting was good the only thing i have against the show is the story isn't as wellLegend of korra isn't as good as ATLAB but its a nice sequel if you can call it that) for lovers of the first avatar. i like how you get to see how the future shaped up after the end of last airbender and how some of the characters descendants lives turn out. the animations/artwork are gorgeous and well done. acting was good the only thing i have against the show is the story isn't as well done as the first one and the characters are a little more static.but besides that i like follow up and thought season 2 was well done. Expand
  17. Jun 9, 2012
    One of the best shows I have ever seen. When The Legend of Korra was announced I was tremendously excited because I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. But also, I was afraid that they might ruin the franchise. I was dead wrong. This show even surpasses the original in terms of action, animation, and even story sometimes. When I said that this is one of the best shows I have everOne of the best shows I have ever seen. When The Legend of Korra was announced I was tremendously excited because I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. But also, I was afraid that they might ruin the franchise. I was dead wrong. This show even surpasses the original in terms of action, animation, and even story sometimes. When I said that this is one of the best shows I have ever seen, I don't mean by cartoon standards, I mean this show is one of the best i have EVER seen. As season one is coming to a close. The voice acting is phenomenal and just like its predecessor, even though there is action and seriousness, there is always a feel-good value the show ends up delivering and I really like that aspect. The show is extremely creative and at the end of every episode, I end up wanting even more. This show is superb and I think everyone should be watching it. Expand
  18. Nov 18, 2013
    Absolutely perfect in every way. Pays homage to the fantastic original, introduces awesome characters and features a bad-ass villain with a truly scary voice. The action and plot developments are incredibly fast paced. Creators of the original learnt from their mistakes and now skip filler episodes!
  19. Jan 12, 2014
    Firstly, I want to say that this show is NOT bad. The world building is excellent, it has its funny moments and the characters are reasonably interesting, as is the story. However, when watching Korra, you can't help but compare it to the Legend of Aang, and unfortunately almost everything feels worse in comparison.
    The characters in the ATLA were developed, funny and you felt sympathy
    The characters in the ATLA were developed, funny and you felt sympathy towards some of their tales (especially Zuko). The world was as good as you will see in a tv show and the story, whilst cliche, kept me interested. In contrast, the characters in korra often come across as bratty and spoilt, the relationships they have together are rage inducing at times. However, the world is still fantastic, the show adds to the amazing lore of ATLA superbly, the animation is probably superior to ATLA and the jokes, whilst not as constant as ATLA due to the more adult theme of the show, are still funny.
    That being said, ATLA is one of the best tv shows I have ever seen, so this comparison may be harsh due to the high standards the creators of the show have set for themselves.
    In summary, The Legend of Korra is nowhere near as good as ATLA, but perhaps that is just a testimony to how good the first show is, meaning it is a must watch for fans of the show, and a good tv show for people who haven't seen the Legend of Aang yet.
    PS - watch ATLA whatever you do, it's truly amazing in every aspect.
  20. Jun 24, 2012
    I was a huge fan of the The Last Airbender series and this one just blows me away. If you haven't watched this, go and do so now. It is the best animated series on television. I can't wait for season two.
  21. Nov 3, 2013
    The Legend of Korra expands upon the rich mythology first explored in The Last Airbender in a new and fantastic way, and this first season is a spectacular entry into the ongoing saga of the Avatar. Fans of the The Last Airbender will be impressed as will newcomers. The writing and storytelling is wonderful and matches perfectly with the actors who come across as sounding very genuineThe Legend of Korra expands upon the rich mythology first explored in The Last Airbender in a new and fantastic way, and this first season is a spectacular entry into the ongoing saga of the Avatar. Fans of the The Last Airbender will be impressed as will newcomers. The writing and storytelling is wonderful and matches perfectly with the actors who come across as sounding very genuine and sincere. The art is fantastic; the visuals of the show are simply sublime. The animation is very fluid and intense and the depictions of the vast and inspiring world the show is set in are amazing. The characters are likeable, interesting and 3-dimensional The pacing of the story as well as its overall depth, the dramatic and intense action, stunning and fluid visuals, the very rich setting and atmosphere and its mature sensibilities combine to create a work of art. Expand
  22. Dec 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Legend of Korra has Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko—commonly known as “Bryke” as a duo—reintroducing us into the endearing, imaginative, and beautifully animated Avatar universe previously established on one of the most critically acclaimed animated TV series of the ‘00s, Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was influenced by Eastern mythologies and philosophies and confronted political and social issues, issues initially perceived as taboo within children’s entertainment or entertainment in general, to be honest. But the colorful animation, comical yet thoroughly developed characters, visually striking action sequences featuring its signature elemental bending, and heartwarming storylines made it as enchanting to Nickelodeon’s core demographic as it did to adults.

The main protagonist, Avatar Korra, is a hot-headed, heavy-in-combat teenage girl who has learned the physical technique of water, earth, and firebending, but hasn’t learned airbending or the spiritual side of being the Avatar—in complete contrast to Avatar’s Aang. Based in the 1920s/steampunk-themed Republic City 70 years after the defeat of the Fire Lord and the 100 year war during the previous series, The Legend of Korra confronts social issues head-on with the introduction of its main antagonist, Amon, an intimidating, mysterious masked man who is head of the Equalist division of non-benders who feel “oppressed” by the benders of Republic City and demand, you guessed it, equality. Voiced by voice actor Steve Blum, who is notable for his distinctively deep voice, Amon is a refreshing and almost reasonable addition to the franchise’s antagonist due to his initially well-intentioned yet ultimately corrupted motives of fighting for equality. Also, he has the ability to take character’s bending away, which adds onto the intimidation factor.

The one-hour premiere episode (“Welcome to Republic City/A Leaf in the Wind”) also establishes the character arc for many more upcoming protagonists: Korra and chief of police Lin Bei Fong, the daughter of Avatar’s Toph, continue to re-enforce the Avatar universe’s theme of women empowerment without ever degrading its male cast, brothers Mako (the firebending handsome jerk) and Bolin (an earthbender who is comical and more naïve). Asami Sato, who later joins the new Team Avatar and is revealed to be the daughter of one of the Equalist’s main members, helps defeat the stereotype that rich, beautiful girls must be revealed to be conniving and apart of the antagonists. The overall charming cast of characters don’t disappoint and besides the series’ forced yet reasonably realistic love triangle, there’s chemistry between them.

But unfortunately, Book 1’s greatest disappointment comes when the season comes into its “Endgame”, where deus ex machine comes in in various forms—Korra’s character development comes to a screeching halt when Amon successfully takes her bending away and not only does she unexplainably manage to airbend, something she struggled to do even once throughout the season, but the rest of her bending is almost instantaneously rewarded back to her without any proper growth after losing it. Though Book 1’s ending-esque scenario could be due to Nickelodeon initially ordering the season as a mini-series before suddenly ordering three more seasons, it’s an overall half-developed, half-forced conclusion to an overall solidly told story.

Ignoring The Legend of Korra’s minor and less-minor mistakes can be easily mastered once you aim your attention at the series’ overall solid, satisfying re-approach to a familiar world we grew to love years ago during the first series. The animation is top-notch and one of the best in Western animation in recent years and its cast of characters welcomes a new approach at giving the spotlight to multiple characters, regardless of gender or age. The story is darker, grittier, and more politically-charged than its predecessor without losing the heart—and humor—and wears so suitably on its sleeve. If you avoided it for the sole basis that it’s on a popular children’s network, you definitely missed out on one of 2012’s freshest TV series.

Overall rating: 8.2
  23. Sep 29, 2013
    Sequels are always hard. While Korra has pops of humor it seems a very very different world from the original series that and the first season was way too short. I am 4 episodes into season two and am starting to see an bit of where this series is going with its emphasis on spiritual balance, I think it will be worth it just to sit back and let the story unfold and enjoy each episode as it comes.
  24. Dec 17, 2013
    After such an excellent run with ATLA, it's understandable that they have trouble getting their footing. Korra is in many ways the exact opposite of Aang. I'm cool with that. What I'm not cool with are all the temper tantrums and the idiotic decisions that she makes, particularly in Book 2.

Overall, the cast isn't as charming as the original series, but it's hard to beat the original cast.

Despite this, the series does a good job of showing what the world is like after Aang, and the struggles that they face. Usually it takes a few episodes to get rolling, but once it is, The Legend of Korra will not disappoint. Although the first season was more of a side story, letting us get introduced to Korra, the second season has much more impact and significance.

Hopefully, for season 3, Korra won't be such a loose cannon, as there is a lot of promise in series 3.
  25. Jul 14, 2012
    The Legend of Korra is incredible, it's not Aang anymore. With that tight plot, world paradox, could bear uneven parts. Let me tell you this, don't make M. Night Shyamalan ruin this.
  26. Jun 27, 2012
    A:TLA was virtually flawless from episode to episode, and this isn't quite the case with Korra. However it's still definitely worth a watch. The animation is much improved from the original, and it's much darker in tone than the original series (I can't believe how Nick let some of the stuff in the show slip pass) The show is constantly engaging and extremely intense, with the cliffhangersA:TLA was virtually flawless from episode to episode, and this isn't quite the case with Korra. However it's still definitely worth a watch. The animation is much improved from the original, and it's much darker in tone than the original series (I can't believe how Nick let some of the stuff in the show slip pass) The show is constantly engaging and extremely intense, with the cliffhangers at the end of each episode leaving you wanting more. However, this season really needed more episodes since there was a big lack in character development, the love triangle was insipid and the ending is just too convenient. By the time the smoke clears though, it's a worthy follow up to original series. Expand
  27. Jun 26, 2012
    Best show ever. The artwork is beautiful. The plotline is engaging and I like the addition of dark elements to this series, to approach a larger fanbase
  28. Jul 4, 2012
    While not near as good as Last Airbender, this is still very good. I would have to say the only downfall is the completely over emotional and under powered portrayal of the avatar. Ang was younger and had far less training and was able to destroy people without hardly a challenge, Korra just, well, cant.
  29. Jul 8, 2012
    The story of season 1 is an interesting exploration of a coming-of-avatar story against the backdrop of a reimagined sino-american progressive era city in the midst of counter-culture insurgency. Korra is certainly as good as the last airbender, possibly better, and I absolutely love this show. The story is wonderful; full of so many lessons for young Korra. The quality of the animationThe story of season 1 is an interesting exploration of a coming-of-avatar story against the backdrop of a reimagined sino-american progressive era city in the midst of counter-culture insurgency. Korra is certainly as good as the last airbender, possibly better, and I absolutely love this show. The story is wonderful; full of so many lessons for young Korra. The quality of the animation is superb; it's one of the few shining examples of anime made for an American audience. The attention to detail of the fighting scenes is astonishing; for example, it's clear the animators spent a studied many hours choreographing fight scenes with a wing chun artist guiding them- as if Donnie Yen himself were looking over their shoulders while they storyboarded. Expand
  30. Oct 19, 2012
    The main problem with this show is that when Avatar had serious moments,awesome fightings and sometimes jokes and characters backstory (that compared to the other things above wasn´t THAT good) tThis show is the exact opposite in almost everything. Dont get me wrong,its a good show but its not like The Last Airbender. The plot isn´t as original as the first one and the villainThe main problem with this show is that when Avatar had serious moments,awesome fightings and sometimes jokes and characters backstory (that compared to the other things above wasn´t THAT good) tThis show is the exact opposite in almost everything. Dont get me wrong,its a good show but its not like The Last Airbender. The plot isn´t as original as the first one and the villain is not as cool as the ones from the first show. Now the main characters are either cool,shy or simply annoying and that is a downside. Its not bad,but to be fair,compared to The Last Airbender its frustrating. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    May 22, 2012
    Visually, Korra is striking. It's full of little tricks and nuances that only true fans will notice and savor, but nothing prevents civilians from enjoying it as well. The same holds for the mythology.
  2. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    May 22, 2012
    When her Airbender training is postponed, Korra travels to Republic City, where Aang's son Tenzin lives, so he can teach her. And that's when the fun begins.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    May 22, 2012
    Mostly, the intrigue in the half-hour pilot proves a trifle head-scratching, but there's a fair amount of action and an impressive look.