• Network: Cinemax
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 11, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
8.5

1. Jan 19, 2013
    I am on episode 2 and am having real trouble caring about any of these people. (Well, I care about the 14 year old girl who just got hit on by one of the adult bad guys. We are one step away from pedophilia.) Perhaps it's the wooden dialogue. Perhaps it's the lead who has mastered an American accent but doesn't walk like an American (moves more like a small time British film gangster,I am on episode 2 and am having real trouble caring about any of these people. (Well, I care about the 14 year old girl who just got hit on by one of the adult bad guys. We are one step away from pedophilia.) Perhaps it's the wooden dialogue. Perhaps it's the lead who has mastered an American accent but doesn't walk like an American (moves more like a small time British film gangster, although Australian). Perhaps it is because he is supposed to at least try to act like a sheriff but acts like a violent crook and never shaves, especially in uniform. And he seems like more of a sociopath than the bad guys. And needs a shower. Who would want to sleep with this guy (and there are a lot of women falling into sex with him..)

There is something wrong here in the sensibility at work. Something faintly perverse.
  2. Jan 14, 2013
    The dialogue is, Have you got a judge in your pocket or are you happy to see me. The main actor has only one expression throughout the entire episode a weak plastic forced smile. All the action scenes are jerky and being film from somebody on a trampoline. Watch the opening and wonder WTF why the truck fell over? I re-winded 10 times, and it was as pointless as this entire series. TheThe dialogue is, Have you got a judge in your pocket or are you happy to see me. The main actor has only one expression throughout the entire episode a weak plastic forced smile. All the action scenes are jerky and being film from somebody on a trampoline. Watch the opening and wonder WTF why the truck fell over? I re-winded 10 times, and it was as pointless as this entire series. The gunslinger in the opening is such a bad poser that in his stance it really is no wonder, why every shot he fires has missed. On the plus side there is a brief glimpse of **** but the town is Banshee a centre for the Amish community. In truth I watched 15 minutes before fast-forwarding hoping maybe this dreadful opener would improve, it really didn't at all. Maybe you might last the course honestly I doubt it very much so. Awful Collapse
  3. Dec 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. None of the characters are believable. The town deputies would have snatched his badge the first time he did the outrageous illegal stunts he pulled, especially the one passed over for sheriff. There's no reason for them to fear him, he holds no weight, he's an outsider. And an ex-con would show more sense than his brazen ways.

Many scenes scream "filler" and the overall acting is wooden at best. Gratuitous, stereotyped writing, especially the boxed in minority, LGBT and/or female characters. You knew the outcome of episode 3 from the moment the primary figures were introduced.

While it's emphatically not a great show, it is an overheated yet intriguing one, driven more by visuals than words--and if you don't mind that its gory action and soap-opera plots aren't yet matched by dialogue and performance, it's worth a look.
  2. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Jan 11, 2013
    It does what it sets out to do reasonably well without breaking my brain in the process.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Jan 11, 2013
    Banshee has has elements of "Justified," "Big Love," Ball's "True Blood" and, of course, the film "Witness." What it doesn't have, at least in the first two episodes, is anything new to say, about small towns, power, corruption, fear, crime or love.