Banshee : Season 1

• Network: Cinemax
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 11, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4

1. Sep 6, 2013
    Cinemax's newest gentle tough guy show is easy to watch. The gratuitous scenes are almost laughable, but it is Cinemax. At its root, it is fun tv. Nothing wrong with that.
  2. Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It took me about 16 hours and multiple extended pauses, and 8 hours of sleep, to finally finish the first episode. It was engaging enough to make me finish the episode, but stalled often enough that I was distracted and surfed the web at times for no apparent reason. Banshee has potential, which is why I finished the first episode. There are so many bad guys in this show. The two main bad guys are Kai Proctor, town boss, meat plant owner, and Mr. Rabbit, NYC crime lord, and all their henchmen. The main character is the new brand of American hero. A bad guy with a good heart that does bad things for good reasons. The antihero. I'll watch the second episode, eventually. Expand

While it's emphatically not a great show, it is an overheated yet intriguing one, driven more by visuals than words--and if you don't mind that its gory action and soap-opera plots aren't yet matched by dialogue and performance, it's worth a look.
  2. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Jan 11, 2013
    It does what it sets out to do reasonably well without breaking my brain in the process.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Jan 11, 2013
    Banshee has has elements of "Justified," "Big Love," Ball's "True Blood" and, of course, the film "Witness." What it doesn't have, at least in the first two episodes, is anything new to say, about small towns, power, corruption, fear, crime or love.