Battlestar Galactica (2003) : Season 2

• Series Premiere Date: Dec 8, 2003
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.2

1. Nov 29, 2012
    One of the more uneven seasons of this great show - the first half, culminating in the Resurrection Ship two parter, continues to be one of the best things that has ever been put on television. Some of the later episodes drag a bit just as the crew of Galactica begins to drag as well. The stunning ensemble cast pull us through some of the slower episodes (I found "Scar" to be a bitOne of the more uneven seasons of this great show - the first half, culminating in the Resurrection Ship two parter, continues to be one of the best things that has ever been put on television. Some of the later episodes drag a bit just as the crew of Galactica begins to drag as well. The stunning ensemble cast pull us through some of the slower episodes (I found "Scar" to be a bit unwatchable, but I have never been a fan of that kind of episode), and with the politcal nature of the two part finale, Galactica is right back on track. Amazing. Expand
  2. Dec 1, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second season of Battlestar Galactica is crammed full of action and adventure. These episodes continue the saga of the dislocated members of the 13 Colonies. Twisting and turning, the plot will often leave your head spinning as you try to catch up with the startling, space-bound events. Interestingly, most of these events pose questions of right and wrong, as the show attempts to grapple with some controversial ethical issues. President Roslin and Commander Adama struggle to define social morality, individual responsibility in reference to their present situation. Topics such as torture, abortion, patriotism and betrayal, punishment and forgiveness, honesty and deception are common place. Lurking behind this discussion is a very Mormonesque concept of deity. As the characters struggle to find a moral foundation, you will find yourself investigating your own conscience and ethical orientation. For myself, I agree with many of the final decisions, but disagree with the motivation behind them. For instance, President Roslin outlaws abortion, but only because the survival of the human race is at stake. I do not support abortion, but itâ Expand
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    Episodes 1 to 7, and 10 to 12, were riveting and had me on the edge of my seat. They were so awesome that if the season had ended here, as it did previously, I would have given it a perfect score. However, some lame ass filler episodes followed. But then it got better again from 17 to 20.
  4. Apr 23, 2013
    "Scar" and "Black Market" are probably the worst episode of the show; entirely pointless and nonsensical. I guess the writers didn't have their episode quota filled, so they decided to take an unused plot from some unrelated project they had worked on and cram it uncomfortably into the series. Aside from that, though, an good season of an excellent show.
  5. Mar 11, 2016
    As a fan of the original Battlestar Galactica, I had my doubts about this "re-imagining" as did many others. The old saying goes: "Don't knock it till you try it." Therefore, I did. Picking up the US Season One set (which includes the miniseries) I popped in disc one.

Three hours later, I was completely hooked. I popped in disc two and watched the first four episodes, then the next four on the following disc.

I am totally addicted to this show. The conflicts between and within the characters themselves, the fantastic visual effects, and the writing and direction totally immerse the viewer into their universe.

Olmos is brilliant as William Adama, and I truly believe he is a worthy successor to the role of Adama, originally played by the late Lorne Greene. It was good to see Richard Hatch (the original series' Apollo) back in action. He does a great job playing the reformed terrorist Tom Zarek. I was a little leery about having a female portray Starbuck at first, but I'm very glad they cast Katee Sackhoff. She really pulls off the part well. Jamie Bamber is a great new Apollo, and Mary McDonnell (no stranger to human disaster flicks--"Independence Day") does an admirable job playing the tormented President Roslin.

I have to say my personal favorite character here is Gaius Baltar, played to perfection by James Callis. He is both genius in his brilliance and extremely looney, and his interactions with the mysterious Number Six (Tricia Helfer, WOW) are funny and well-performed.

I'm just now wrapping up Season One. I have not seen any episodes of Season Two yet. Looking forward to it.

One thing about this series: Don't skip ANY episodes. These are not standalone episodes, to be sure. It's one continuous storyline, and missed eps can result in a degree of confusion.

My recommendation? If you are a fan of Sci-fi in any way, and enjoy a good, briskly paced dramatic storyline, look no further than the new Battlestar Galactica. Pick this one up NOW.
  6. Mar 11, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I read every single review - negative and positive - several times before buying this set. I was doubtful whether I could like the new BSG. I watched the old one as a child and enjoyed the whole series on the Space Channel maybe 3 times as an adult. But I gave it a try, and - to be honest - there's no going back to the old one.

There are hundreds of reviews, so let me try to save you some time. Most of the negative criticism focuses on a handful of points: 1) it isn't exactly like the original, 2) women shouldn't be warriors, cylons, and politicians, 3) there's too much current or even old technology in the props, and 4) so-called "shaky" camera style,.

First, it really isn't the same as the original. It has the same premise, and hits the same major plot events, but manages to surprise even those familiar with the original. In the end, the original can't be re-made. Lorne Greene is dead and Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict (original Apollo and Starbuck) are much too old to pick up where they left off. And you know, it shouldn't be re-done. I loved the original, but it was lame. It was campy, and over-idealistic. The good guys were excessively good, which is why we love them, but they're only a fantasy. The original Baltar was inexplicable, and the women merely constituted a parade of, I must concede totally gorgeous, 70s babes with 70s hair. I notice that only my male friends like the original. My female friends and girlfriend just can't sit through a single episode because its social values, while fun for boys, are simply out of date for women.

Which brings us to number two: a few have expressed anger that women are suddenly pilots and leaders. There are still men out there who believe women shouldn't be in the military, but rather should stay home and look like pretty 70s babes from the original show. But, having spent a few years in the military myself, I can tell those who don't know better that women have been in the military for years. It's a dead issue, so get over it. In countries like Russia and Israel, for example, women do mandatory combat duty. They're not just cooks and secretaries. Anyway, this is a show about the last 47,000 humans from a civilization of 12 planets. They under constant attack. How could they afford not to have women in their military and leadership? Let's put this argument to bed permanently, shall we?

The third criticism is that there's too much "un-futuristic" technology in the show. Well, the show does explain that advanced networks and computers are susceptible to Cylon virus attacks. It should be blatantly obvious that this is credible. As anti-virus software improves, so do viruses. But the show does use a lot of present-day firearms and vehicles. At first, I wondered why they were "skimping" out on the future-gear. But I realized that this is not just a show about futuristic props, but a show that attempts to be as relevant to the viewer as possible. It really doesn't matter whether four-wheeled vehicles are Hummers or something more futuristic-looking. The endless props don't drive the show: the plot and characters do. There's more than enough technology in the show when it's needed. You'll see, unless you only care about seeing a constant display of nothing but futuristic-looking equipment. But I need more from a good show than cool gear ad nauseam.

Speaking of nausea, the fourth major complaint is the shaky or "reality" camera style, as if the action is being shot live. It is indeed reminiscient of NYPD Blue, and some people who are easily vulnerable to motion sickness don't like it. It's a style I appreciate, so that the show doesn't feel as "staged" as it would be with more contrived camera work, but I understand people's problem here. It works as well here as it does on NYPD Blue.
  7. May 25, 2013
    Following on from the well received mini-series the first full season of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica makes for fantastic viewing from start to finish. Opening with the superb '33' the survivors of the Cylon attack continue to find themselves under constant threat of extinction. Of course Battlestar makes use of its setting with epic space battles and huge robots but, as with allFollowing on from the well received mini-series the first full season of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica makes for fantastic viewing from start to finish. Opening with the superb '33' the survivors of the Cylon attack continue to find themselves under constant threat of extinction. Of course Battlestar makes use of its setting with epic space battles and huge robots but, as with all the best sci-fi shows, it also deals with real issues and relationships to build the tension to boiling point. Add to this a number of truly shocking and unexpected plot twists and you have one of the best opening series to a television programme in a long time. Expand
  8. Dec 30, 2015
    Season 2 has some seriously stellar episodes and a very few nonsensical.However the cast is amazing and it finishes with a brilliant cliffhanger. One of the best political dramas Ive seen to date

There are no critic reviews yet.