• Network: Syfy
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 17, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
7.9

1. Feb 9, 2011
    "A ghost, a vampire and a werewolf walk into a townhouse..." Yeah, that's a hard sell. Sounds more like the beginning of a joke. However, Being Human manages to pull off the difficult task of making us suspend our disbelief for an hour a week with really... human... stories. Not your usual paranormal thriller. Being Human is much more complex and more fun.

I was a fan of the BBC
    series, and am enjoying the SyFy version just as much. Great casting and true to the spirit of the show. If I weren't such a fan of "Sugar Rush's" Lenora Crichlow, I'd almost have to say the USA version was better. As it is, both versions are delightful. Expand
  2. Jan 23, 2011
    I've never seen the british version but considering how hokey some of the original Syfy shows can be, our family thought it was well written, directed and acted and felt the plot was a very good beginning.
  3. Jan 31, 2011
    If you have never seen the BBC original series (currently in it's third series, or season to you Americans), then please make the effort to watch that rather than this pale imitation, your efforts will be awarded in a way you will not be by watching this version. Having seen the the opening 2 episodes, with high hopes I was amazed how similar they were to the original. There is nothing original here (so far). The cast/acting are miles away from the quality of the original, with the best acting coming from the supporting cast members and not from the trio (who should be the heart beat of the show). It's a real shame. I just can't understand why the re-make. Is the accent and location so important to US audiences? Expand
  4. Jan 31, 2011
    Let's face it, the Syfy channel is not HBO nor AMC. That's why I was pleasantly surprised to see Being Human is a very enjoyable show. The acting is solid and the cast mesh well with each other. I also appreciate the witty dialogue and nicely done special effects. On the minus side, the show has yet to really hit its stride. The plotline is so far a total copy from the British show, making the show predictable for those of us who watched the BBC version. Also, it suffers a little too much from "Grey's Anatomy syndrome" - characters brooding into the camera while adult alternative music plays in the background. Still, this show is one to watch for any speculative fiction fan. Expand
  5. Feb 10, 2011
    Even though I am English I have never actually seen the English version but I have gotten into the American version. The acting is good, the writing is good and as some have already said this is a great addition to SyFi who do show some crap!
  6. Aug 19, 2011
    I'm not even into the vampire craze and I watch this! Another one of my favorites I intend on keeping up with. @Robster who asked, "Is the accent and location so important to US audiences?" Umm, yes. Haha. I know...I hate remakes too! But yes, there is no way in hell I could get through this show in an English accent, and I simply don't get British humor. It really sucks and, as an American, just does not compute. This is a really gritty, suspenseful show. Love Syfy's programming. Expand
  7. Sep 3, 2012
    Being Human US (in my opinion) is a pretty good remake that provides solid acting, humour, likeable characters (just as likeable as the characters from the original) and full of suspense. A great first season that both remakes some of the old episodes in the British series, and creates new ones as well.
  8. Apr 28, 2012
    I myself haven't see the original British version of Being Human, but the first season of the US version was pretty damn good. It was thrilling, shocking, well-acted and filled with jaw-dropping twists! It is occassionally frustrating though, but in a good way, due to suspense overload. I really enjoyed this first season, and I am currently half way through season two, which is pretty on par so far. Expand
  9. Apr 2, 2013
    This show has gotten better with age and has now surpassed the UK version by way of better storytelling. Killing off the main characters in the UK version has massacred the show. The US remake has taken its own road and the actors and actresses have found their own footing...Definitely worth the watch.
  10. Mar 11, 2014
    can't believe it's been cancelled. not enough gore to keep the macho audience going, is that it? this is one of the best shows on right now - funny, witty and all around enjoyable. love all the actors, especially after i found out how little money they've had to make this show happen.
    disappointing that syfy is not listening to a broader viewership opinion.
  11. May 19, 2011
    A enjoyable show with good acting, and enjoyable characters that really compliment each other, while it can be a little cheesy at times, it's still really unique, this show won't be good for others, but it will gather a lot of fans.
  12. Feb 25, 2011
    Hmm. It's not bad but with so much else to watch I gave it up. Why DID Scyfy have to attempt a remake of the BBC America version, which frankly is so much better. At least the American version of BH is an improvement over the US version of Top Gear. Now that really sucked on it's own exhaust pipe.
  13. Feb 11, 2011
    A poor man's True Blood. Dialog: average. Writing: below average. Creativity: below average. Plausibility: poor. Effects: average. Suspension of disbelief: below average. Acting: average to above average. The overall direction of this show is significantly lacking, as is the writing. It was hard for me to assess the acting as since they are given such a poor script to work with, it sort of dumbs down the actors. I get the feeling that the writers met in a coffee shop and fleshed out the reality of their world on a napkin -- and those few notes now forms the basis for the setting they have created.

When will these shows that wanders into the realm of sci-fi (supernatural) begin to understand that you need to build up a set of plausible rules for your alternate reality, and stick to them. Most of their "variations" on the supernatural seem to be more for convenience sake, than for setting. Vampires that can walk in the sunlight -- it seems like it was just easier to write this in than to worry about trying to limit their episodes to night time encounters. Ghosts that can sit on furniture and can interact with any supernatural -- even living ones such as werewolves... *sighs*. This again seems to be a judgement call for convenience sake. I could go on, but what's the point. This show is crap. It even feels crappier if you have recently watched True Blood, or have any sort of allure to the dark and sinister settings that the supernatural live in as portrayed in True Blood, Underworld, or the World of Darkness RPG.

I have not seek the UK version, so I don't know if it was meant to be a campy or tongue-in-cheek sort of show, or if the UK version is equally as flawed.
  14. Mar 23, 2011
    One of the favorite new shows around the house. Great show, we watch this and Supernatural, AFV, Tosh.0 and Family Guy. Thanks Syfy for finally getting a show I can enjoy. And the British version is not nearly as engrossing at the american.
  15. Jan 16, 2012
    I had never heard of this show before I stumbled across it on Netflix last night. Figured what the hey, I'll check it out. Ended up getting really into the show, really enjoy it. And apparently just in time for season 2 which airs tonight. :)
  16. Jun 21, 2012
    The premise of this show sounds goofy: A vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost living together. However, the writing is really quite good and so is the acting. I feel like this show has been terribly overlooked by people. I haven't seen the BBC version so I can't compare them, but everyone at my house really enjoys this show.
  17. Sep 24, 2013
    I know some fans dislike this version because it came way after the UK version and it is said to be "not as good" but I truly love it. I think it's well written, emotional, and witty. The characters are insanely loveable even when they make huge mistakes and it always keeps going. I think it is exactly what a werewolf/vampire tv show should be.
  18. Nov 4, 2014
    I can't speak for the UK version as I've not watched it to this date, but this show is alright. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's definitely far from the worst that has aired. The first three seasons I think were much better than four, and of course five rather seemed dull to me. You definitely see some sad parts during the series and it's worth watching if you've yet to see it. The kind of back and forth can make the show hard to watch at some points, and of course I always hate when shows go back to black & white as I personally find those the hardest to watch. Overall it's a decent series and you should watch it if you've never saw it before. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Jan 31, 2011
    The ghost (Meaghan Rath), the vampire (Sam Witwer), and the werewolf (Sam Huntington) continue to work out their angst-addled yearnings to be human in this more neurotic version of the U.K. TV series.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Jan 18, 2011
    All in all it's a pretty deft mix of violence, pathos and ethos via a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost as roomies.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Jan 18, 2011
    For fans of the original, which is only a few years old, this Americanization may be a bit like going to see a road company version of a Broadway show: It's pretty good but definitely less morose (for some viewers that will be an improvement, for others it will be a betrayal).