• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 10, 2014
7.3

1. Mar 13, 2014
    I am pretty disappointed by the pilot. Maybe it is just not what I expected but I feel like I've seen this before. It reminds me of "Touch", which I did enjoy, but I don't think I am ready for something similar. I will give it another try but I fear that I won't become a "Believer".
  2. Mar 12, 2014
    I have looked forward to Believe for a long time, I was disappointed by the Pilot as it did not explain what had occurred previously or what was to come. The acting was not good and the female assassin was dreadful. I will watch the next couple of episodes. On its present performance there will not be a season 2.
  3. Apr 24, 2014
    Darn. I started out really liking this show. The little girl is great; the relationships worked. By the 3rd episode, though, I realized I wasn't looking forward to it, and I was tired of it before the episode ended. The entire plot seems to consist of we-nearly-got-'em-this-time chases, combined with, oh, suprise, the girl risked everything yet again to run off an help a stranger. Plus,Darn. I started out really liking this show. The little girl is great; the relationships worked. By the 3rd episode, though, I realized I wasn't looking forward to it, and I was tired of it before the episode ended. The entire plot seems to consist of we-nearly-got-'em-this-time chases, combined with, oh, suprise, the girl risked everything yet again to run off an help a stranger. Plus, I've lost count of how many shows (Crisis, Intelligence, 24, Person of Interest, etc.) rely on the worn-out all-knowing surveillance net as the key driver of the plot -- come on, people, Enemy of the State already did that better back in 1998, it's boring. Expand
  4. Mar 17, 2014
    There is something about the premise of this show that seems so familiar to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, oh wait yes I can -- there was a movie called 'Firestarter' (1984) that was about a little girl who had telekinetic powers and was on the run with her father, because people wanted to use her as a weapon. The film was '80s campy and didn't take it's self too seriously. ButThere is something about the premise of this show that seems so familiar to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, oh wait yes I can -- there was a movie called 'Firestarter' (1984) that was about a little girl who had telekinetic powers and was on the run with her father, because people wanted to use her as a weapon. The film was '80s campy and didn't take it's self too seriously. But I didn't get that vibe while watching 'Believe' I think NBC actually thought they'd successfully made some "good television". Epic fail! If I had to site one thing as being the proverbial nail in the (should this be renewed coffin), I would say the pacing killed me. Some of the scenes seemed minutes too long. I'm looking at the main characters anticipating that someone will do or say something worthwhile. Waiting for that final beat that would pull the scene together and just like the Christmas Eve I waited up for Santa...it never came. The little girl is okay as far as child actors go, she's no Drew Barrymore but good enough to play a convincing super kid in today's television landscape. Now her costar on the other hand...Jake McLaughlin's character comes across as a dim witted stoner. He never quite gets out of first gear -- his performance is phoned in or should I say emailed in, on the old AOL servers that took minutes to load. It's obvious that he and the girl are going to escape these situations, if they got caught that would be like time leaping ahead 12 hours on '24' -- so showing the bad guys and playing dramatic music isn't fooling anyone. Come on it's her show, she's gonna live to run another day. The story isn't engaging, the characters aren't memorable. The only thing worth watching on this show is the special effects. Now those blocks, when the kid made the lion. Now that was impressive. The car moving on it's on, bring it on. Get rid of the actors and rehashed plot and lets see some stuff move around on it's on for an hour. Now that's a show. No premise, no rhyme no reason just stuff moving. I do not believe in 'Believe'. I can not believe that it made it through the crazy process that getting green lit has been known to be. Seeing NBC's new line up really makes me question what cards they were dealt this pilot season. Should I be shopping a reality show starring my 10 year old Yorkie who knows seven verbal commands and has not had an accident indoors for the past 3 years?? Now that's talent if ever such a thing existed. If anyone has connections at NBC let me know. I think 'Pepper Don't You Pee' may be a hit. He could be the next Kim Kardashian or at least Honey BooBoo. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Mar 27, 2014
    What’s extremely effective is the relationship (and chemistry) between Sequoyah and McLaughlin. You will find yourself rooting for them and hoping nothing comes between them.
  2. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Mar 14, 2014
    Believe substitutes mawkish sentiment for character development and thinks mysterious incidents and procedural beats constitute a story.
  3. Reviewed by: Darren Franich
    Mar 12, 2014
    Sequoyah is an appealing presence, doing what she can with an impossible wonder-kid role. And Cuarón is incapable of creating a boring shot. But he won't direct every episode. The only actor in the pilot who seems to be having any fun is Sienna Guillory as a hitwoman.