Big Love : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
7.5

1. Madeleine
    Mar 13, 2006
    Polygamy ain't great; neither is this show. Although there seemed to be some reasonably good acting, it is hard to see why one would take the time to develop an "acquired taste" for a show based on lives that are so excruciatingly mundane, as if mundane X 3 might make it all the more compelling. Additionally, the token shots of Salt Lake City and vicinity in this first episode lacked Polygamy ain't great; neither is this show. Although there seemed to be some reasonably good acting, it is hard to see why one would take the time to develop an "acquired taste" for a show based on lives that are so excruciatingly mundane, as if mundane X 3 might make it all the more compelling. Additionally, the token shots of Salt Lake City and vicinity in this first episode lacked geographic continuity. Expand
  2. DerekT
    Apr 15, 2006
    Bill Paxton, like Kevin Costner, is only a decent actor when not speaking. The petty squabbles on this show are impossible to sit through, and the young wife (Maggie?) is like a little child. The ancillary characters are all simple caricatures. It's all just ridiculous, but not in a way that makes me look forward to it. "The Sopranos" as a lead-in is the only thing keeping this show Bill Paxton, like Kevin Costner, is only a decent actor when not speaking. The petty squabbles on this show are impossible to sit through, and the young wife (Maggie?) is like a little child. The ancillary characters are all simple caricatures. It's all just ridiculous, but not in a way that makes me look forward to it. "The Sopranos" as a lead-in is the only thing keeping this show on the air. Expand
  3. Alexandra
    Jul 26, 2006
    I did not like the show very much. All the characters seemed pretty crazy to me. People in their right mind would not act like that. It's very "different" in a way that makes me sick. I will just watch my Desperate Houseviwes, a much better show to waste your life with.
  4. SusanC
    Nov 9, 2007
    HBO has a track record for making good shows about things that the American public has a delicious, shameful curiosity about (the mafia, funeral parlors) and polygamy should be no exception. But there comes a point where, no matter how compelling the curiosity, you have to actually *like* the characters for the show to work. Despite the fantastic acting, most of the characters feel a HBO has a track record for making good shows about things that the American public has a delicious, shameful curiosity about (the mafia, funeral parlors) and polygamy should be no exception. But there comes a point where, no matter how compelling the curiosity, you have to actually *like* the characters for the show to work. Despite the fantastic acting, most of the characters feel a little flat to me. Ho-hum, lots of petty in fighting. Once I got used to everybody, the show's appeal waned and I turned to "Mad Men". Expand
  5. JessiB
    Mar 10, 2009
    It's an interesting idea. I was fascinated to see what polygamy looked like in our society, but as it turned out, the wonder wore off quickly and I was left watching a random family drama that really didn't bring much excitement to my tv watching life. I think I'll sit this next season out.
  6. JohannH
    Mar 18, 2006
    I was pretty interested when I heard about the show's theme the first time and so I had high expectations on it. But after 30 minutes watching it I got so bored that I turned it off... This show won't become a classic, this show needs a STORYLINE.
  7. Josh
    Mar 18, 2006
    The show has adequate acting, but the strain of the polygamy plot is made worse by including the main character's mother and father living in a cult. Credibility was immediately lost, and I don't feel the need to tune in next week after the Sopranos. Too bad Deadwood didn't come back instead.
  8. KevinL.
    Sep 24, 2007
    Brilliant Show. It isn't the best show on television but it has the strong base that holds itself up on its feet by the end. Don't be fooled when you don't like the beginning of the series but after you really start to see its outstanding performances, writing and acting throughout. Its ideas are well executed with such a captivating tone.

Big Love... is in no hurry to unfurl its plotlines or push its charms. Give it a couple of episodes, though, and you'll be snared.
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Lisa Schwarzbaum
    The casting is so good and the production design so sophisticated that the series' pull toward baroque psychosexual doings is, so far, pleasurable. [7 Apr 2006, p.51]
    There are elements of this new series that have a quirkiness that might seem deliberate or overly clever against a different backdrop, but that feels natural in its own gracefully odd environment.