Boardwalk Empire : Season 2

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.4

1. Apr 2, 2013
    The first season of Boardwalk Empire showed plenty of potential without ever really becoming part of my essential TV schedule and whilst this second outing arguably moves things forward at a quicker pace I continued to find it difficult to really become invested in the story or characters. The show certainly has plenty going for it with fantastic sets and acting, lead by Steve Buscemi, ofThe first season of Boardwalk Empire showed plenty of potential without ever really becoming part of my essential TV schedule and whilst this second outing arguably moves things forward at a quicker pace I continued to find it difficult to really become invested in the story or characters. The show certainly has plenty going for it with fantastic sets and acting, lead by Steve Buscemi, of the highest order.

Maybe I was just expecting a little too much from a show from Sopranos writer Terence Winter but many of the characters are lacking the subtle complexity of said show and despite the, sometimes unnecessary sex and violence, it rarely comes across that the stakes are particularly high. Right now I am on the still on the fence as to whether or not I will return for the now confirmed third season.
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Boardwalk 2 has an obvious problem. Nothing new is happening here. It's the same old jibber-jabber with more boobs and bloodshed to keep the audience watching.
  3. Nov 1, 2011
    I'm still unsure of what to think about this show. Sure its good but every episode gives you the impression that the next episode will be the one where things pick up and we see something actually happen. But then the next episode comes and what do you know, it's more talk and very little action besides the odd kill. Considering it's looking like there's meant to be a war over whoI'm still unsure of what to think about this show. Sure its good but every episode gives you the impression that the next episode will be the one where things pick up and we see something actually happen. But then the next episode comes and what do you know, it's more talk and very little action besides the odd kill. Considering it's looking like there's meant to be a war over who controls the flow of Alcohol into Atlantic City, i don't see much waring. Expand
  4. Nov 25, 2012
    Season 1= A wonderful, engaging plot. Character development that keeps you interested in whats going to happen to each of them. And pacing that keeps the story moving forward at just the right speed. Season 2= Less in every category. The plot doesn't seem to know where it wants to go. The characters seem to be becoming ever-less interesting as each episode arrives. And the story justSeason 1= A wonderful, engaging plot. Character development that keeps you interested in whats going to happen to each of them. And pacing that keeps the story moving forward at just the right speed. Season 2= Less in every category. The plot doesn't seem to know where it wants to go. The characters seem to be becoming ever-less interesting as each episode arrives. And the story just doesn't move forward with nearly enough 'umph'. Things happen, but slowly, and really not very interesting things at that. The main characters are becoming less and less relate-able and continuously more annoying. The premise of prohibition-era alcohol-bootleggers battling it out for turf in a budding Atlantic City is awesome, but somehow the writers of the show are managing to snuff out the huge possibilities that could exist here, and that I thought would exist after I had watched a really well-done season 1. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marisa Carroll
    Oct 4, 2011
    The Oedipal quagmire only enhances the political treachery.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Oct 4, 2011
    It's essential viewing. All of the promise of last season looks to be realized with impressively deft storytelling, beautiful cinematography and impeccable acting.
  3. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Oct 4, 2011
    Boardwalk Empire is doing what I wish Prohibition had done--it's tempting me to stick around for one more.