• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.6

1. Dec 21, 2011
    One of the best tv series ever. The plot and character development are better than the Sopranos. The 1920s sets and costumes are beautiful.

There are no true "good guys" and "bad guys" here. Everyone has some major faults, yet the story makes you sympathetic to all (except, maybe, the commodore -- that guy is a jerk!). I really love the complicated character of Margaret Schroeder. Her feelings of guilt and need for forgiveness make the perfect foil to Nucky.
  2. Jun 27, 2011
    I've heard a lot of people complain because Boardwalk E. Didn't have good enough action, but bad dialog? No way, I personally think that Boardwalk empire is a very well written and entertaining series, and one of my all time favorites! And obviously the writers were trying to make this a series with a deep story along with great actors, not a fast pace action. That's what Spartacus is for : }
  3. Oct 29, 2010
    Boardwalk Empire looks and feels like a fresh wind from the past. The main roles, are based on fact. With Terrance Winters(Soparanos) as lead writer, we will be guided into a interesting and seductive tale of the roaring 20s ala Atlantic City. Steve Buscemi is great as Nucky, the corrupt boss of the Boardwalk and all of AC. His brother the police chief, gives him the protection andBoardwalk Empire looks and feels like a fresh wind from the past. The main roles, are based on fact. With Terrance Winters(Soparanos) as lead writer, we will be guided into a interesting and seductive tale of the roaring 20s ala Atlantic City. Steve Buscemi is great as Nucky, the corrupt boss of the Boardwalk and all of AC. His brother the police chief, gives him the protection and latitude to conduct business as he sees fit. The other gangsters of the day, young Al Capone, Lucky Lucciano and others are shown to be climbing the ladder of crime. Plus the under belly of life, gambling, prostitution and graft bring a new level of truth and expose the dirty little secrets of our grandparents time. This show is a slow brewing hit, and should be watched by all those who like the other side of the coin! Expand
  4. Nov 19, 2010
    Ok one word for you, Phenomenal! This show is the one to watch its a very interesting and educational program. Even though sometimes i get lost and can't recognize some characters in it i believe this one deserves recognition. That's why i give Broadwalk Empire a 9 out of 10.
  5. Jan 3, 2011
    "Boardwalk Empire" is a long, roller coaster ride of Atlantic City's liquor trade that takes you round and round without letting you walk away. Each and every episode grabs you more and more, so much to the point that you can't help but to watch. Week after week another puzzle piece is taken out and laid on the table---each character serving as its own piece of the puzzle with a mystique"Boardwalk Empire" is a long, roller coaster ride of Atlantic City's liquor trade that takes you round and round without letting you walk away. Each and every episode grabs you more and more, so much to the point that you can't help but to watch. Week after week another puzzle piece is taken out and laid on the table---each character serving as its own piece of the puzzle with a mystique and sense of unknown that can't afford to be missed. Expand
  6. Jan 8, 2011
    One of the best shows that came out this year. I think that the acting is just amazing, and the script is really interesting! The set and the clothes are really accurate, and the characters are really well structured. I think this show has everything to succed and be (even more) huge!
  7. Jan 16, 2011
    This series is related to the Award Winning Australian Series Underbelly & it could take some time to get used to it but once you've settled in you will really enjoy it
  8. Jan 17, 2011
    HBO style. Drama, Mafia= sopranos (also from HBO) It appears they needed another new hit to recover from the ending of sopranos... and they got it!!! Very original dialogue and storyline. HAVE TO WATCH
  9. May 23, 2011
    This is mafia at its best! Great level of detail in decors and really engaging storyline. Buscemi is a very convincing crook and I like the detail on Al Capones rise. Great to see a story without giants explosions, car chase and gunfights every three minutes! I love the way you get to look back in American history, before the internet and the car society...
  10. Feb 15, 2011
    Great show! It starts off a little bit slow, which may have put off some viewers (and which is why I've taken a point off in the rating), but it really picks up and turns into a fantastic thriller. No, it's not quite The Sopranos, but I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison as this incorporates historical elements with nods to true events. The action ratchets up at the end andGreat show! It starts off a little bit slow, which may have put off some viewers (and which is why I've taken a point off in the rating), but it really picks up and turns into a fantastic thriller. No, it's not quite The Sopranos, but I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison as this incorporates historical elements with nods to true events. The action ratchets up at the end and promises an exciting second season. A must watch! Expand
  11. Sep 6, 2011
    Have you ever marinated or slow-roasted something to eat? Sure, it gets annoying that you have to wait longer, but it's always worth it at the end. It's practically the same with Boardwalk Empire: The show doesn't have build things up just to blow it off the end. They have on-going stories that build week after week and then finally get blown off at its apex. Granted this show isn't forHave you ever marinated or slow-roasted something to eat? Sure, it gets annoying that you have to wait longer, but it's always worth it at the end. It's practically the same with Boardwalk Empire: The show doesn't have build things up just to blow it off the end. They have on-going stories that build week after week and then finally get blown off at its apex. Granted this show isn't for people who have ADHD or cannot wait until things unfold, but for a patient viewer who like an interesting plot, intriguing sub-plots, excellent cliff-hangers, well-established characters, characters fitting into their roles, with a well-structured and writer, a great cast, and the best director to ever step foot into the movie business, this show is without question for you. Expand
  12. Jan 4, 2012
    The first season of Boardwalk Empire seemed to develop slowly and admittedly, I was a tad bored in the first few episodes. The pacing of this second season was also a bit uneven. Put that aside and the show has lush sets, increasingly worrisome behaviors on the part of the main characters, and an incredible finale. Definitely worth watching.
  13. Jun 19, 2013
    Wonderful show. Great acting, writing, all the way around. HBO does it again with this show and Episode 01 in this season is one of the best on TV thanks to Martin Scorsesse directing. A must watch.
  14. Aug 7, 2013
    Most underrated TV show on television period. The acting is exceptional.(Come on Steve Buscemi.) Cinematography and the Prohibition period is represented in it's finest.
  15. Dec 13, 2012
    Where the pacing slowed, I found myself immersed in the style. Jimmy Darmody grabbed my attention from the outset and kept me engaged through to the end, even though he wasn't supposed to be the main character. I learnt a few things about the Mob. The plot was highly fictionalized and turned some real life gangsters into mere supporting characters, unable to hold their own against someWhere the pacing slowed, I found myself immersed in the style. Jimmy Darmody grabbed my attention from the outset and kept me engaged through to the end, even though he wasn't supposed to be the main character. I learnt a few things about the Mob. The plot was highly fictionalized and turned some real life gangsters into mere supporting characters, unable to hold their own against some upcoming politician. I guess that was to be expected if the show had to avoid becoming predictable. I think they should have cast someone more original and engaging for Al Capone, given that he was not a second rate hit-man but arguably the most successful crime boss in history. I liked the portrayals of Luciano, Rothstein and Nucky Thompson. Jimmy's sidekick is also someone to look out for. Expand
  16. Feb 24, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant TV show. Easily in my top 10 favorite TV shows of all time. Scorsese proves that he is the best man to bring us into the fascinating world of crime and gangsters. The characters are probably the best written of any show I've seen. The setting and atmosphere of the show are also amazing, crafted with true skill and finesse, and manage to bring us from the 21st centuryAbsolutely brilliant TV show. Easily in my top 10 favorite TV shows of all time. Scorsese proves that he is the best man to bring us into the fascinating world of crime and gangsters. The characters are probably the best written of any show I've seen. The setting and atmosphere of the show are also amazing, crafted with true skill and finesse, and manage to bring us from the 21st century in the beginning of the 20th. The story is complex, compelling, and full if unexpected twists. My ONLY complaint and the reason I can't give Boardwalk Empire a 10/10 is because whenever they need to kill off characters, they will die very easily, whereas when they want to keep other characters around, they will survive every assassination attempt thrown at them (ahem Nucky). Expand
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    It has a well composed cast, and an intoxicating set. The props seem to match the period of the 1920s. Even though Scorsese doesn't direct all of the episodes it has the feel of a Hollywood production. I like the story and think touches on some great themes of the time: Jazz, alcohol, and organized crime
  18. Jul 19, 2013
    incredibly rich milieu of gangsters, politicians and players, from a bygone age, animated by genius and imbued with vitality and immediacy once more. simply a time portal to another world.

this is getting a 9 by default. it isnt as good as the sopranos or the wire, but giving it anything other than a 9 would be a lie.
  19. Oct 3, 2011
    Even though it is at times, dull as hell, it still manages to attract me to my couch on Sunday nights. Mayeb it's the fact that there is some compelling ass stuff towards the end of each show. Or the marvelous acting and wonderful period flavor, It's just kick-ass
  20. Dec 14, 2010
    this show in my opinion is after breaking bad the best of the year,great acting,great story way better than the sopranos I saw the whole season is just amazing HBO is done it again
  21. Oct 10, 2011
    This is probably the best tv show today. Impeccably written, finely photographed, sharp performances by Buscemi, Pitt and Macdonald and brilliantly directed by Scorsese.
  22. Apr 2, 2012
    First and foremost, the writing on this television program is some of the best I've ever personally seen on the small screen. It's simply prodigious in both quantity and quality. The acting is fantastic. There really isn't a single performance throughout the entire season that I disliked. Perhaps my only criticism of the first twelve episodes is the overall slow, almost snail-like pace inFirst and foremost, the writing on this television program is some of the best I've ever personally seen on the small screen. It's simply prodigious in both quantity and quality. The acting is fantastic. There really isn't a single performance throughout the entire season that I disliked. Perhaps my only criticism of the first twelve episodes is the overall slow, almost snail-like pace in which the story-lines are uncovered. Everything else about the show is great though, the costume & wardrobe departments should hopefully win A LOT of awards! Expand
  23. Sep 11, 2013
    A wonderful new series by Martin Scorsese.I love the dialogs which are dramatic and thrilling.Based on a very good plot the first season is just awesome.
  24. Apr 19, 2014
    This is just television at its best. Steve Buscemi gives the performance of a lifetime. Terrefic performances by the colorful cast, smooth directing, gorgeous writing. A must-see for fans of the mafia genre!
  25. Oct 19, 2014
    There are so many twists, each new season is better than the last. The Roaring 20's is one of the most interesting periods in American History. Boardwalk empire does an amazing job of recreating the feeling one would have during that era. I've just finished Season 3, and there hasn't been a boring filler episode yet.
  26. Aug 8, 2015
    The pilot was a serious disappointment, especially after all the money spent , $20m, and Scorsese at the helm? The writing for the first few episodes is a bit clunky but it improves as the season progresses and after episode 5 really starts to gel. A nice directorial touch is each episode has a very deceptive red herring scene which is carried off every time. Everyone (bar a few over theThe pilot was a serious disappointment, especially after all the money spent , $20m, and Scorsese at the helm? The writing for the first few episodes is a bit clunky but it improves as the season progresses and after episode 5 really starts to gel. A nice directorial touch is each episode has a very deceptive red herring scene which is carried off every time. Everyone (bar a few over the top stereo types) does a great job especially Pitt and Shannon. His character Van Alden is seriously disturbing. The only weakness is Buscemi, an actor I like a lot, He is the least convincing. Doesn't appear immoral enough. Looking forward to season 2. Expand
  27. Dec 8, 2010
    I am amazed at these poor reviews. Boardwalk Empire is one of the best shows I have ever seen in my life. And when I look at their dates, most are right after the FIRST episode. How can you even write a review when you have seen ONE HOUR OUT OF TWELVE? This is insane. Boardwalk Empire is one of the best acted shows of all time. Right up there with Breaking Bad. And although some episodesI am amazed at these poor reviews. Boardwalk Empire is one of the best shows I have ever seen in my life. And when I look at their dates, most are right after the FIRST episode. How can you even write a review when you have seen ONE HOUR OUT OF TWELVE? This is insane. Boardwalk Empire is one of the best acted shows of all time. Right up there with Breaking Bad. And although some episodes are slower then others, the season overall was filled with amazing moments. Take the character Richard Harrow for instance. Who was a sniper in World War 1, and survived a rifle round to the face... left completely disfigured, and now wears a tin mask over half of his face and can barely talk. All of his twitched and body language seem so believable... You would think the actor portraying him was actually missing part of his face. The only thing I can compare it to is Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight... The Joker felt so real, and so scary... because Heath had so many tiny details he added, like how he licked his lips all the time... And Richard Harrow is obviously a VERY different character, but the same amount of detail went into his performance, and he is only a minor character.

Boardwalk Empire is amazing, And all of these bad reviews were mostly done after the very first episode... So please ignore all the idiots.. You cannot judge an entire season ON ONE EPISODE.
  28. Jun 20, 2011
    Unbelievable!
    Won't drone on, but I will say it raises the bar for TV! HBO have struck gold with this. The best series they have ever produced! Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt and Kelly Macdonald lead this brilliant series.
  29. Sep 22, 2010
    As a fan of the mafia film genre I would say that Boardwalk Empire does not disapoint. The sets, cast and costume design give the series such an authentic look and feel. I would say that we are only seeing the beginning of what will be a historic series.
  30. Sep 21, 2010
    I watched the first episode last evening. I am not sure that the time period is conveyed in a believable way. I am just not feeling it's quite right somehow. Maybe it is the acting or script? Anyway, I did still enjoy it and am hoping it will build from here.

[The first three episodes] contain no evidence that it'll rival or exceed season four, an intricately wrought and unexpectedly spare and bluesy batch of hours whose quality exceeded anything that Terence Winter's gangster saga had given us in seasons one through three.
    The show isn't easy to warm up to, to be honest; it's draped in--and at times stifled by--meticulous period detail and too-perfect lighting, especially in Scorsese's premiere. But in episode two, the characters and the script begin to prevail, and the drama becomes more emotionally distinct and fascinating.
  3. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    As with the best of these broad canvas series, the players and their allegiances become clear within an episode or two. And from that point on, Boardwalk Empire becomes everything that HBO (and I) had hoped for it.