• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.6

1. Sep 27, 2010
    This would have been one of the two or three best movies I saw all year. The fact that it's a pilot bodes extremely well for the series, and I'm glad I resubscribed to HBO if only for this show.
  2. Sep 21, 2010
    The first episode was truly fantastic, and in fact so much more than most mafia movies. The music, atmosphere, setting, seemed truly authentic, and very entertaining. In comparison to many other modern good series, this appeared to be really entertaining after the first 20 minutes, while for others you have to wait for at least two first episodes to get into. I only wish there was more "Omar"..
  3. Sep 22, 2010
    As a fan of the mafia film genre I would say that Boardwalk Empire does not disapoint. The sets, cast and costume design give the series such an authentic look and feel. I would say that we are only seeing the beginning of what will be a historic series.
  4. Ted
    Oct 5, 2010
    Buscemi, who is an interesting guy in general and who has been terrific in the right part, just doesn't have the charisma and gravitas for a part like this. This make the whole show sag. I found myself wishing for James Gandolfini. I am trying to muster up the gumption to watch the second episode, but my gut tells me don't bother. Doesn't bode well for the series.
  5. Oct 11, 2010
    Loving the show so far, best piece of television since The Wire, . Just good to have a break from reality television and procedural police shows. Steve Buscemi is outstanding and almost unrecognisable as the Steve Buscemi you would be expecting.
  6. Jun 27, 2011
    I've heard a lot of people complain because Boardwalk E. Didn't have good enough action, but bad dialog? No way, I personally think that Boardwalk empire is a very well written and entertaining series, and one of my all time favorites! And obviously the writers were trying to make this a series with a deep story along with great actors, not a fast pace action. That's what Spartacus is for : }
  7. Dec 8, 2010
    I am amazed at these poor reviews. Boardwalk Empire is one of the best shows I have ever seen in my life. And when I look at their dates, most are right after the FIRST episode. How can you even write a review when you have seen ONE HOUR OUT OF TWELVE? This is insane. Boardwalk Empire is one of the best acted shows of all time. Right up there with Breaking Bad. And although some episodes are slower then others, the season overall was filled with amazing moments. Take the character Richard Harrow for instance. Who was a sniper in World War 1, and survived a rifle round to the face... left completely disfigured, and now wears a tin mask over half of his face and can barely talk. All of his twitched and body language seem so believable... You would think the actor portraying him was actually missing part of his face. The only thing I can compare it to is Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight... The Joker felt so real, and so scary... because Heath had so many tiny details he added, like how he licked his lips all the time... And Richard Harrow is obviously a VERY different character, but the same amount of detail went into his performance, and he is only a minor character.

Boardwalk Empire is amazing, And all of these bad reviews were mostly done after the very first episode... So please ignore all the idiots.. You cannot judge an entire season ON ONE EPISODE.
  8. Dec 14, 2010
    this show in my opinion is after breaking bad the best of the year,great acting,great story way better than the sopranos I saw the whole season is just amazing HBO is done it again
  9. Jan 16, 2011
    This series is related to the Award Winning Australian Series Underbelly & it could take some time to get used to it but once you've settled in you will really enjoy it
  10. Jan 17, 2011
    HBO style. Drama, Mafia= sopranos (also from HBO) It appears they needed another new hit to recover from the ending of sopranos... and they got it!!! Very original dialogue and storyline. HAVE TO WATCH
  11. May 23, 2011
    This is mafia at its best! Great level of detail in decors and really engaging storyline. Buscemi is a very convincing crook and I like the detail on Al Capones rise. Great to see a story without giants explosions, car chase and gunfights every three minutes! I love the way you get to look back in American history, before the internet and the car society...
  12. Jun 20, 2011
    Unbelievable!
    Won't drone on, but I will say it raises the bar for TV! HBO have struck gold with this. The best series they have ever produced! Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt and Kelly Macdonald lead this brilliant series.
  13. Jul 14, 2011
    Boardwalk Empire is one of the best shows on tv. I don't think it disappoints at all. I don't see why it gets so bad reviews. It's a brilliant show
  14. Sep 6, 2011
    Have you ever marinated or slow-roasted something to eat? Sure, it gets annoying that you have to wait longer, but it's always worth it at the end. It's practically the same with Boardwalk Empire: The show doesn't have build things up just to blow it off the end. They have on-going stories that build week after week and then finally get blown off at its apex. Granted this show isn't for people who have ADHD or cannot wait until things unfold, but for a patient viewer who like an interesting plot, intriguing sub-plots, excellent cliff-hangers, well-established characters, characters fitting into their roles, with a well-structured and writer, a great cast, and the best director to ever step foot into the movie business, this show is without question for you. Expand
  15. Dec 21, 2011
    One of the best tv series ever. The plot and character development are better than the Sopranos. The 1920s sets and costumes are beautiful.

There are no true "good guys" and "bad guys" here. Everyone has some major faults, yet the story makes you sympathetic to all (except, maybe, the commodore -- that guy is a jerk!). I really love the complicated character of Margaret Schroeder.
    Her feelings of guilt and need for forgiveness make the perfect foil to Nucky. Expand
  16. Jun 19, 2013
    Wonderful show. Great acting, writing, all the way around. HBO does it again with this show and Episode 01 in this season is one of the best on TV thanks to Martin Scorsesse directing. A must watch.
  17. Aug 7, 2013
    Most underrated TV show on television period. The acting is exceptional.(Come on Steve Buscemi.) Cinematography and the Prohibition period is represented in it's finest.
  18. Dec 13, 2012
    Where the pacing slowed, I found myself immersed in the style. Jimmy Darmody grabbed my attention from the outset and kept me engaged through to the end, even though he wasn't supposed to be the main character. I learnt a few things about the Mob. The plot was highly fictionalized and turned some real life gangsters into mere supporting characters, unable to hold their own against some upcoming politician. I guess that was to be expected if the show had to avoid becoming predictable. I think they should have cast someone more original and engaging for Al Capone, given that he was not a second rate hit-man but arguably the most successful crime boss in history. I liked the portrayals of Luciano, Rothstein and Nucky Thompson. Jimmy's sidekick is also someone to look out for. Expand
  19. Mar 7, 2013
    It has a well composed cast, and an intoxicating set. The props seem to match the period of the 1920s. Even though Scorsese doesn't direct all of the episodes it has the feel of a Hollywood production. I like the story and think touches on some great themes of the time: Jazz, alcohol, and organized crime
  20. Dec 11, 2013
    I see the first two seasons of "Boardwalk Empire" as a whole. The first season is the introduction that slowly develops the story to the point where season 2 can just do whatever it wants. The highlights of season one are the Martin Scorsese directed pilot, "Anastasia" (episode 4), "Home" (episode 7), and "Paris Green" (episode 11). The visual style and direction of this show are one of the best I've ever seen. Collapse
  21. Mar 16, 2014
    Boardwalk Empire is a period drama set during the 1920's prohibition era with Steve Buscemi starring as the corrupt treasurer of Atlantic City Enoch "Nucky" Thompson. Steve Buscemi is amazing as Nucky Thompson and gives the best performance of his entire career which is saying something. The ensemble cast is terrific, the cinematography is beautiful and the set pieces are always on point. Boardwalk Empire was created by Terrence Winter who deserves a lot of credit for delivering such an ambitious television show. Martin Scorcese is also an executive producer of the show which speaks to the it's quality and he even directs the pilot. I cannot praise this show highly enough, it is in my opinion the best show on television. Boardwalk Empire is another home run hit for HBO. Expand
  22. Apr 19, 2014
    This is just television at its best. Steve Buscemi gives the performance of a lifetime. Terrefic performances by the colorful cast, smooth directing, gorgeous writing. A must-see for fans of the mafia genre!
  23. Jul 20, 2014
    "Boardwalk Empire" is just simply amazing television. The music, cinematography, acting, directing and writing all deserve to be singled out as fantastic.
  24. Sep 22, 2010
    Seems like HBO has another winner on its hands with this one. It all starts with the stellar casting - too many greats to bother mentioning. The premise is fertile ground for some great stories, and the writing is rock solid. It's the way you tell a story that matters, and I didn't want to blink during this first episode. I've certainly dropped my fair share of HBO series (Rome, Carnivale, Deadwood) in the past, but I think I've got a Sunday Night keeper here. Expand
  25. Sep 22, 2010
    http://tvtastic.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/boardwalk-empire-hbo-sundays-900-p-m/ Apparently HBO has decided that they are sick of playing second fiddle to Showtime for having the best drama on premium cable. After watching the pilot episode of Boardwalk Empire I feel rather ashamed. I feel like a crook, in fact. I feel like I robbed HBO of the $10.50 that I should have paid them to see this show in the theater. Because it's not a TV show, it's a Martin Scorcese Academy Award winning film that comes into your living room once every seven days for twelve weeks. There is only word to describe this monumental television excellence: Epic.

The grand scale and visually stunning aesthetics are like nothing that's been on TV since 2001's Band of Brothers. The pilot alone cost $50 million and it's perhaps the best $50 million spent on a television series ever. The sets are absolutely amazing and the level of detail is like none I've ever seen for a period piece outside of Titanic. There really is no question that you are in Atlantic City circa 1920 and this show does what I've pointed out that other quality dramas do and that is make the city as integral pf character as the politicians and gangsters.

The story and depth of characters are rich and engaging and you're hooked from the opening scene and the role of "Nucky" Thompson... well, let's just say the Steve Buscemi was born to play him.

Thompson is the epitome of the corrupt community leader for the prohibition era. He's an institutionalized pillar of the community and gangster rolled into one. He's the city treasurer who has built his power through graft and payoffs and is the most powerful man in town, controlling the police department and mayor's office who hang on his every order. Like most crooked politicians in bed with organized crime he views as himself as morally superior to the gangsters he regularly does business with and he does his best to keep them at arm's length. This is very interesting to note about his personal character because unlike most corrupt politicians, he truly does care for the citizens of his community and goes out of his way to help those who need it the most with no ulterior motives and his magnanimous attitude and tenderness isn't out of guilt. As crooked as his empire his, he truly is a man of the people and believes in the virtue of public service. This dichotomy presents itself often as there appears to be a perpetual internal conflict between the noble and the nefarious going on inside of Nucky.

One of the more notable exchanges is between Nucky and his protégé, Jimmy, where he tells Jimmy, "You'd be very foolish to underestimate me, James. I could have you killed," right after he lectures him as a father would about going back to school and making something of himself for his wife and son. But, it's how he says it that's interesting... it's kind of like that he has to convince himself that he could have Jimmy killed and he isn't really comfortable with the idea even though we all know it's true, he could, but still, we don't buy it. Jimmy doesn't buy it either as his classic response indicates while at the same time serving to polarize Nucky's internal conflict. "Yeah, but you won't. Look... you can't be half a gangster Nucky... not anymore," and THAT is what Boardwalk Empire is all about.

It's about how Prohibition changed this country during an era of excess. It's about our own good and dark sides squaring off. We see the likes of Arnold Rothstein, Lucky Luciano and Al Capone as small time hoods, who we all know will become kings over the next ten years and rule their particular kingdoms through violence and terrorism but what's often forgotten is that it was the average citizen that made that reign possible. It's a part of our collective history as Americans that hasn't been told before and Boardwalk Empire shines a spotlight on it.

Boardwalk Empire is going to be one helluva journey. This is the best show on television... period, and yes, it only took one episode to figure it out.
  26. Sep 25, 2010
    It definitely feels as though this show will be a winner. its got incredible writing and the actors are superb. so far the stories are very engaging and i will be sticking around 'til the end of the season.
  27. Oct 29, 2010
    Boardwalk Empire looks and feels like a fresh wind from the past. The main roles, are based on fact. With Terrance Winters(Soparanos) as lead writer, we will be guided into a interesting and seductive tale of the roaring 20s ala Atlantic City. Steve Buscemi is great as Nucky, the corrupt boss of the Boardwalk and all of AC. His brother the police chief, gives him the protection and latitude to conduct business as he sees fit. The other gangsters of the day, young Al Capone, Lucky Lucciano and others are shown to be climbing the ladder of crime. Plus the under belly of life, gambling, prostitution and graft bring a new level of truth and expose the dirty little secrets of our grandparents time. This show is a slow brewing hit, and should be watched by all those who like the other side of the coin! Expand
  28. Nov 19, 2010
    Ok one word for you, Phenomenal! This show is the one to watch its a very interesting and educational program. Even though sometimes i get lost and can't recognize some characters in it i believe this one deserves recognition. That's why i give Broadwalk Empire a 9 out of 10.
  29. Jan 3, 2011
    "Boardwalk Empire" is a long, roller coaster ride of Atlantic City's liquor trade that takes you round and round without letting you walk away. Each and every episode grabs you more and more, so much to the point that you can't help but to watch. Week after week another puzzle piece is taken out and laid on the table---each character serving as its own piece of the puzzle with a mystique and sense of unknown that can't afford to be missed. Expand
  30. Jan 8, 2011
    One of the best shows that came out this year. I think that the acting is just amazing, and the script is really interesting! The set and the clothes are really accurate, and the characters are really well structured. I think this show has everything to succed and be (even more) huge!
  31. Feb 15, 2011
    Great show! It starts off a little bit slow, which may have put off some viewers (and which is why I've taken a point off in the rating), but it really picks up and turns into a fantastic thriller. No, it's not quite The Sopranos, but I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison as this incorporates historical elements with nods to true events. The action ratchets up at the end and promises an exciting second season. A must watch! Expand
  32. Oct 10, 2011
    This is probably the best tv show today. Impeccably written, finely photographed, sharp performances by Buscemi, Pitt and Macdonald and brilliantly directed by Scorsese.
  33. Feb 24, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant TV show. Easily in my top 10 favorite TV shows of all time. Scorsese proves that he is the best man to bring us into the fascinating world of crime and gangsters. The characters are probably the best written of any show I've seen. The setting and atmosphere of the show are also amazing, crafted with true skill and finesse, and manage to bring us from the 21st century in the beginning of the 20th. The story is complex, compelling, and full if unexpected twists. My ONLY complaint and the reason I can't give Boardwalk Empire a 10/10 is because whenever they need to kill off characters, they will die very easily, whereas when they want to keep other characters around, they will survive every assassination attempt thrown at them (ahem Nucky). Expand
  34. Sep 11, 2013
    A wonderful new series by Martin Scorsese.I love the dialogs which are dramatic and thrilling.Based on a very good plot the first season is just awesome.
  35. Jul 19, 2013
    incredibly rich milieu of gangsters, politicians and players, from a bygone age, animated by genius and imbued with vitality and immediacy once more. simply a time portal to another world.

this is getting a 9 by default. it isnt as good as the sopranos or the wire, but giving it anything other than a 9 would be a lie.
  36. Feb 4, 2014
    Una temporada fascinante con una historia digna de llevarse un oscar, puede alguien controlar toda una ciudad y siendo tan solo un politico mitad gangster, ese es Nucky Thompson y este es su imperio del contrabando, entra en el mundo de la mafia en los años 20 y acompaña a Nucky y a Darmody en su travesia en Atlantic City. De seguro que esta serie no decepcionara a no ser que te guste el tema de la mafia. Expand
  37. Oct 19, 2014
    There are so many twists, each new season is better than the last. The Roaring 20's is one of the most interesting periods in American History. Boardwalk empire does an amazing job of recreating the feeling one would have during that era. I've just finished Season 3, and there hasn't been a boring filler episode yet.

[The first three episodes] contain no evidence that it'll rival or exceed season four, an intricately wrought and unexpectedly spare and bluesy batch of hours whose quality exceeded anything that Terence Winter's gangster saga had given us in seasons one through three.
    The show isn't easy to warm up to, to be honest; it's draped in--and at times stifled by--meticulous period detail and too-perfect lighting, especially in Scorsese's premiere. But in episode two, the characters and the script begin to prevail, and the drama becomes more emotionally distinct and fascinating.
  3. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    As with the best of these broad canvas series, the players and their allegiances become clear within an episode or two. And from that point on, Boardwalk Empire becomes everything that HBO (and I) had hoped for it.