Boss : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 21, 2011
Season #: 1, 2
8.3

1. Oct 24, 2011
    25 minutes in I thought I'd just stumbled across the best new show of the year. Unfortunately those thoughts had vanished utterly by the end of the hour.

Grammer is superb, the direction is incredible, and the general tone and setting is pitch perfect. Unfortunately the Writer (or perhaps Producer?) didn't seem to trust that a "straight" drama would be compelling enough and dips into the

Unfortunately the Writer (or perhaps Producer?) didn't seem to trust that a "straight" drama would be compelling enough and dips into the realms of the absurd resulting in a loss of all believability. Some of the things done would have been more at home in a comic book or superhero film portrayal of villainy / anti-hero. Adding insult to injury is a smoldering but incongruous sex scene utterly lacking in context. (and I have absolutely NO problem with gratuitous and graphic sexuality as long as it has even the merest justification)

Grammar may get a well justified Emmy nomination for his performance, I just wish that the writing was equally as worthy of acclaim.
  2. Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not getting it. It seems like something we've ALL seen before. Starz is probably hoping this a winner. I will continue watching, but I'm not a fan.
  3. Nov 10, 2011
    Kelsey Grammer does a great job as the morally conflicted Tom Kane, and the acting and storytelling is satisfactory. But unfortunately none of the characters are at all likable enough.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Oct 21, 2011
    Even at its worst, Boss radiates intelligence and toughness, and an appreciation of politics as a nonstop performance in an unscripted drama.
  2. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Oct 21, 2011
    Boss is electric with self-importance, and that is in itself is a hoot, given its particular combination of thematic pomp and expressionistic pulp.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Oct 21, 2011
    Its early episodes are a mix of power and disappointment.