• Network: Starz
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 1, 2011
5.3

1. Jul 17, 2011
    I wanted to love this show, and really get into it. I have watched all 10 episodes, and i am disappointed. This show has a lot of potential, good actors, and good premise. Its King Arthur, that is enough just to get people to tune in to it. All they have to do is just have a good story. Maybe it will get better with time...
  2. Apr 2, 2011
    The show fails to live up to the Arthurian legends. Overall Morgan La Fey resembles too much on the original character of Queen Mab from the Merlin movie, especially her silly tries to imitate her voice. The rest of the cast is pretty much the same - boring and unoriginal. The plot is even worse, the way Merlin acquires Arthur from his foster parents its so "seen before" moment that willThe show fails to live up to the Arthurian legends. Overall Morgan La Fey resembles too much on the original character of Queen Mab from the Merlin movie, especially her silly tries to imitate her voice. The rest of the cast is pretty much the same - boring and unoriginal. The plot is even worse, the way Merlin acquires Arthur from his foster parents its so "seen before" moment that will make you cry. Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and any other similar books and films include this introduction. "You are a King", "You are a Wizard", "You are a Greek demigod", "That's not me I am just an ordinary boy", "No you aren't, you are special and destined for something even greater"... Dialog SO REPETITIVE in the modern fiction that makes you wanna die. The only reason I give this show a grade so high is because of the Camelot castle itself and the great visuals. Overall not the worst show on earth, but only because its based on something very popular... Expand
  3. Apr 4, 2011
    Lightweight is the only way to describe this re-telling of Arthur. I was expecting Son's of Anarchy medieval and instead we got BBC's Merlin with boobs and swearing. Oh! Joseph what did you sign up to?
  4. Apr 6, 2011
    As a huge fan of all Arthurian myths and legends I am hugely disappointed at the lack of any mythology above and beyond what you can find in the disney movie. I was hoping for either a modern retelling ala Jack Whyte's the sky stone or a true to the roots once and future king mythology soaked epic, instead we get main characters that seem better suited to the disney version as well, onlyAs a huge fan of all Arthurian myths and legends I am hugely disappointed at the lack of any mythology above and beyond what you can find in the disney movie. I was hoping for either a modern retelling ala Jack Whyte's the sky stone or a true to the roots once and future king mythology soaked epic, instead we get main characters that seem better suited to the disney version as well, only the villains really shine as intriguing and well acted whereas the rest of the cast and writers seem to squander what is some amazing potential with the budget and channel they have at their disposal. I will watch a few more episodes in hopes that it will blossom into something more mature and deep but in the meantime a have a gut feeling that in terms of acting/writing we should expect more BBC's Merlin than the station's previous Spartacus series or even HBO's upcoming Game of thrones which I think I will be watching instead come April 17th. Manage your expectations accordingly. Collapse
  5. Apr 3, 2011
    I watched the first episode streaming at the Starz website and was pleasantly surprised. I am more Walking Dead than The Tudors -- I assume the latter's is the target audience -- but this is a fun watch so far!

1. Reviewed by: Nancy DeWolf Smith
    Apr 8, 2011
    Some fans apparently don't think the sloe-eyed blond actor Jamie Campbell Bower is studly and thrusting enough for Arthur. But boyishness gives him room to grow, and there is plenty that's masterly about Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, who is occasionally seen in a studded hoodie and always shrouded in mystery, but other otherwise all man.
  2. Reviewed by: Phillip Maciak
    Apr 7, 2011
    It's not easy, with all the silly one-liners, oddball plot twists, and frat-party ambience, to get terribly invested in who will win the power struggle that Camelot dramatizes. But if Fiennes and Green could stage a coup, wresting control of the show from its tawdrier impulses, then that might just be something worth watching.
  3. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 7, 2011
    Starz, however, has re-imagined the doings of Arthur, Guinevere and the gang as a bloody, bodice-ripping medieval soap opera, and the result is surprisingly satisfying.