• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 6, 2005
  • Season #: 1
3.7

1. Aug 28, 2014
    After seeing "Category 6" just a few days ago... what a disappointment.

We have a new set of characters, whom you start to familiarize with only in the second part (who they are, names, family members, ideals, connections...)

The plot is weaker. It dashes forwards, and the scenes just keep flying back and forth. I especially hated the camera work during the action (few seconds from
    here, few seconds from there) and strange, "artistic" decisions that really made the scene not better, but worse.

It's also strange to me how a city-wide black out actually saved Washington DC when Chicago, in the previous part, was destroyed when it was powered out already. Maybe they explained it at some point and I didn't catch the difference, but that really seemed like a big inconsistency.

The special effects were, if possible, worse. I can live with that in a movie like this, but when the general structure, plot, and acting were so much worse than in "Category 6", I was utterly disappointed.

Not a total waste of time, but it feels so much worse next to its stronger prequel.

Overwhelming dislike - based on 11 Critics

1. Accidentally ridiculous. [4 Nov 2005, p.69]
  2. As bad as the original was, the sequel is even worse.
    It has moments of being so-bad-it's-good, which is to say it's at its best when it's a near-satire of the genre. But it drowns in redundant action scenes and sentimentality.