• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
8.1

1. Apr 8, 2011
    This was my least favorite season, besides season 5, but it's still a 10! Another great plot, great acting, great twists and lots of tension. Loved every minute of it and the new characters they added.
  2. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dexter season 3, while being the least interesting season of the show thus far, still has some highlights (there is no such thing as a "bad" season of Dexter, but it does not quite stand up to seasons 1 and 2.)

Starts out interesting enough-Dexter kills the wrong guy! Who happens to be the brother of the ADA. That's the good part. The bad part is this ADAS is played by Jimmy Smits-who I had trouble buying into all season long.

The rest of the cast shined brightly in season 3-although Batista's romance with the vice-cop seemed forced, and vanished as soon as the season ended.

But, the centerpiece of the season is Dexter's relationship with Miguel Prado. I did find it difficult to believe that Dex would be so quick to let him in to his dark world-and he indeed learned at the end that it was a very bad idea. The red-herring of the bachelor party kidnapping was perfectly done, as we knew the Skinner was on his trail. Speaking of that though-I had a VERY difficult time believing that Prado and the Skinner would be in cahoots. That may have been the low-point of the season crow-barred in just to keep the tension going throughout the 12 episodes.

I did like the storyline about Deb and Anton. She did seem happy there for a short time. Quinn came across as a jerk, but not nearly the total a%$hole that Doakes was.

All in all-the least amazing of all of Dexter's seasons I would say. It was hard to buy into Jimmy Smits as the "big bad" but still lots of good fun to be had. The show MORE than redeemed itself 10 x over with the following season.
  3. Dec 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this season was awful: a stupid plot, bad characters, anything transcendental. Dexter appears to be retarded in this season. The worst season of dexter for sure. Expand
  4. Independentopia
    Oct 16, 2008
    Bar none, the best show currently on Television. Michael C. Hall is one of the more underrated working actors today...he's brilliant.
  5. DanielS.
    Nov 9, 2008
    The best show I've ever seen.
  6. PaoloD
    Dec 2, 2008
    A little slow at times, nonetheless is still terrific brainwork in relating to the main character. Plus, there is all the emotional extras of a "maybe" father and spouse.
  7. MichaelM
    Dec 6, 2008
    This show amazes me. At the end of each season I think "wow, they will never top THAT" and yet each season only gets better. Definately the best show on TV.
  8. ZackaryS.
    Oct 7, 2008
    One of the best shows on TV. If you miss this then you really do deserve to have your foot chewed off by a dog... or better yet get butchered by dexter and thrown in the ocean.
  9. DougS
    Jan 2, 2009
    Dexter raises the bar season after season. In his showdown with the 'Skinner' Dexter shows that he is the biggest bad ass there is. And Deb has gone from a damsel in distress in Season 1 I can't wait for season 4!
  10. KrisR
    Feb 26, 2009
    Possibly the best show I've ever seen. I couldn't see this lasting more than two seasons, how wrong I was! Thank you to the writers and actors for the stunning work.
  11. GiaT.
    Nov 14, 2008
    This season has got me on edge... all the road blocks popping up, slowing Dexter down... I'm feeling the anxiety, and holding on to the edges of my seat waiting for the next show every time. I cannot wait to see how this one will end!
  12. DougS.
    Nov 2, 2008
    Best show on TV...maybe ever!!!
    Oct 14, 2008
    Good show. But why did CBS drop it? that's really weak. and proves cbs is the worst network ever. besides hallmark, i guess.
  14. AlexK
    Dec 2, 2008
    Amazing show. But why the hell are there reviews for Season 3 already when the season isn't even over yet?
  15. MR.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Better than ever!
  16. RhettD
    Jan 21, 2009
    Great show starts off slow in season 3 but it picks right back up, critic on this site sucks his rating is more personal.
  17. DreH
    Jun 25, 2009
    This show has it all.... or rather had it all Season 1 and 2 were great. Awesome story, storyline, plot twist, character development, this show is probably one of the best things... that was until season 3 aired... which consisted of a bunch of random incomplete half-ass ideals and plot-lines.
  18. EtharV
    Sep 24, 2009
    Smart, witty, clever, fantastically acted and brilliantly written. Dexter has pushed the bar up from season two and is by far my favorite show on television. Like watching an unique, daring and engaging film every week
  19. ElginW.
    Nov 12, 2008
    Dexter is one of the best most original shows I have ever seen.
  20. NasreenS.
    Nov 17, 2008
    Amazing! Every episode gets better! I can't wait for the next.
  21. NickH
    Dec 16, 2008
    This show makes you laugh, cry, cringe and shout with joy. The edited version on CBS is crap comparatively, but I'd still watch it. Better than Weeds, Californication and Entourage.
  22. MarissaD
    Jan 14, 2009
    Michael C. Hall & Julie Benz have great chemistry. I was hoping for much more development there. The show is almost perfect. Despite that, it's still the best thing on.
  23. AndreaW
    Jun 29, 2009
    Season 3 start-to-finish was Amazing! I cannot wait until August so I buy it on DVD... (I own Season 1 & 2 already.)
  24. Oct 8, 2010
    Season 3 is by the far the best so far, obviously you cant beat the greatness of the original series, BUT you can appreciate how dark and deep this one gets keeping you on the edge of your seat really badly at some moments. Rita is developing into the most annoying character. the situations that dexter is caught in are white knuckle rides of anticipation of the result.
  25. Aug 20, 2011
    I honestly felt like I had to sit through most of the season and I lost interest a couple of times. Dexter seemed to jump the shark a little bit, coming off more as an action hero and the new characters, especially the main villain, didn't do it for me. That being said, it still had plenty of good moments that make it worth watching all the way through.
  26. Sep 28, 2010
    Its such a great show, i'm always on the edge of my seat. every episode feels like a roller coaster, and i've never felt that with any other show before. Micheal C. Hall deserves every award he gets for this show and more, it is the best acting i've seen in a long time.
  27. Feb 1, 2016
    Season 3 of Dexter is the best-yet, offering the most variety the series has ever seen. Dexter having to juggle a "partner in crime" with personal life changes is what makes this a great season. The show continues to grow on me, and I think it's going to become classic for me soon.
  28. Nov 2, 2010
    Probably the weakest Season of the show, but that just tells you how good Dexter is. The poorest season is better than most of the crap in Network TV. Still a very enjoyable season with Dexter dealing with his "student" and the troubles that creates for him.
  29. Nov 1, 2010
    Fast becoming my favorite tv series. Can't wait to see season 4. I noticed the critics ratings dropped a little between series 2 & 3. I disagree. I think the show just keeps getting better.
  30. Sep 29, 2015
    The best parts of this show center around Dexter struggling with realizing just how human he actually is. This season explores those elements even deeper. His love/family life takes some shocking turns and begins to develop an actual friendship with someone who is in on some of his dark secrets. Yet even when Dexter's life is at it's most interesting, side-characters new and old are ableThe best parts of this show center around Dexter struggling with realizing just how human he actually is. This season explores those elements even deeper. His love/family life takes some shocking turns and begins to develop an actual friendship with someone who is in on some of his dark secrets. Yet even when Dexter's life is at it's most interesting, side-characters new and old are able to steal the show from time to time.

Jimmy Smits is awesome as the new character Miguel Prado. His backstory and relationship with Dexter makes him just as compelling as the title character. Every moment these two are onscreen together is incredible. They have fantastic chemistry and it's their stories that make this season so electric even if it is slower than the previous two overall.

Jennifer Carpenter is just as fantastic as ever as Dexter's sister "Debra." Her role in the show is only increasing and that's for the better. Debra is a fantastic character who's plots are just as interesting as the main character's even if they hit the same beats each season so far with a focus on relationship drama. The more from her, the better.

It's slower, sure. However the writing is still fantastic and has some shocking twists and turns in areas you wouldn't expect them. Some of the more minor side-characters are given a little bit more to do, but it's mostly still the main cast that shines. A lot of the more miniscule plots surrounding Dexter's coworkers don't really go anywhere. That's okay because with a dynamic as exciting as Dexter's and new character "Miguel Prado" you want every moment to focus on them. This season delivers something exciting and fresh with it's main plot, rather than falling back on what made the previous seasons a success. It's all the better for it.

Should we actually trust his actions over what he says as a true indicator of who he really is? It does not seem that the writers of the show have discovered this apparent problem in their storytelling, but it certainly could be something worth exploring in the coming season.
    Dexter is real, all right. Real good.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    With the larger narrative diminished, what remains are the smaller moments. There Hall's terrific performance--full of sly wit and contradictions--elevates the show