Dexter : Season 6

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
6.4

1. Mar 18, 2016
    After a rather disappointing, but still enjoyable 5th season, Dexter gets back on track. The show once again tries something new with the formula. There's still serial killers causing trouble for the department that Dexter must deal with, but the majority of the season doesn't focus on that. Instead we witness Dexter's struggle with religion and huge changes in Debra's life.

To make

To make things even better the whole thing kicks off with a sense of newly invigorated dark humor. I found myself laughing out loud several times throughout this season. Dexter has always had some humorous moments, but this time it really feels like it's part black comedy. A bold and wonderfully successful move.

Like I said, the serial killers aren't getting most of the attention here. It's all about Dexter's struggle with religion. It's personal, deep, and yet even more exciting looks into the mind of a serial killer. The season as a whole carries religious tones. The serial killers are taking pages straight from the Bible for their kills.

One would think that this would make the whole serial killer vs serial killer aspect of the show, which has always been one of the series strong points, more interesting. Unfortunately that isn't the case. When the season does start to put all of it's focus on the actual case it loses some steam. It's still highly entertaining. Just not as much as watching the new humorous side of the show and Dexter's deep, dark struggles with whether or not there is any good in him.

It's a return to form for the show that lost it's way in the previous season. A new sense of humor and focus keep things strong and some mind-blowing plot twists and developments make the next season look all the more promising. Season 6 gets things back on track.
  2. Feb 14, 2016
    This sixth season of Dexter takes a little while to gets its feet under itself. There's almost two completely different story arcs here, with only a sprinkle of crossover. Still, you can feel things getting a little more out of hand for Dexter Morgan and, when the curtain finally falls, you're left with the "oh... crap" that hooks you into season 7. This show has been prettyThis sixth season of Dexter takes a little while to gets its feet under itself. There's almost two completely different story arcs here, with only a sprinkle of crossover. Still, you can feel things getting a little more out of hand for Dexter Morgan and, when the curtain finally falls, you're left with the "oh... crap" that hooks you into season 7. This show has been pretty consistently paced, but only sometimes throttles up the actions/intensity/plot development, and I can't help but think there's more to be brought out of this progressing story than what already has. Expand
  3. Dec 19, 2015
    Having seen the entire series, this is the 2nd weakest season in my opinion. It's almost completely worth it to just skip this one and jump right to season 7, where the quality hits its last high point in the series
  4. Sep 1, 2015
    Dexter's sixth season takes some rather bizarre turns with its story, characters, and overall sense of self. And unfortunately, this time around, Hall's brilliant performance is not enough to make it right.
  5. Feb 22, 2014
    Talvez seja a hora do fim, Dexter já não impressiona como antes, o esforço para manter o fôlego é vã, e o que era um colosso aos poucos vai se transformando em um pequeno busto.
  6. Dec 10, 2013
    I am a big 'Dexter' fan. The fifth season was a little let down but was still a good season. But the new killers for this season and the new tone were very boring and uninteresting. But I will say that some of the episodes were pretty good. Maybe season 7 will get better and change my opinion that this and the 5th seasons are mixed.
  7. Oct 19, 2013
    on the fifth season the series dropped slightly its high quality in this sixth season its quality increased again, this time the series has another great villain and another ending creepy.
  8. Sep 24, 2013
    The infamous season 6. This season is known by fans for being terrible. In my opinion its not nearly as bad as people say. The religion theme was very cool, and brother Sam was a great supporting character. But this season was still far from perfect. It has one of the most predictable twists of all time, and of the villain played by Colin Hanks was just awful. The characters did veryThe infamous season 6. This season is known by fans for being terrible. In my opinion its not nearly as bad as people say. The religion theme was very cool, and brother Sam was a great supporting character. But this season was still far from perfect. It has one of the most predictable twists of all time, and of the villain played by Colin Hanks was just awful. The characters did very stupid things. and the sideplots for the side characters were terrible. But being said this is still an enjoyable season. Its definitely not the worst though, that is reserved for the atrociously bad Season 8. Expand
  9. Aug 15, 2013
    The weakest effort in the show thus far, season 6 of Dexter pushes its way into deeper religiously inspired territory with great potential, yielding mediocre results due to its poorly casted main antagonist (his performance is cringe worthy), and weak writing plagued (no pun intended) with predictability.
    It seems as though the writers are straining to maintain the surprise effect they've achieved a few times in previous seasons by implementing one last "shock twist" that is so overused and so badly implemented it's more of a tack on than a story telling mechanic.
    Michael C. Hall's performance is our only redemptive factor remaining.
  10. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although this season was still interesting and a lot of fun to watch it was just much less interesting than the previous seasons. Unlike every other season the writing appeared to be lacking some on all fronts. The contrast of Dexter's brother appearing to him and Travis seeing the professor was interesting but other than that and Deb finding out Dexter's secret at the end of the season there's not too much to say on the interesting or innovative aspect for this season. Expand
  11. Jul 19, 2013
    over rated and falling apart. this season really stretched the disbelief past breaking point. the show got back some of its intrigue, but its hard to take it seriously as anything but melodrama at this point.
  12. Jul 5, 2013
    don't get me wrong i love Dexter and is my favourite tv show ever. michael c. hall jennifer carpenter are genius. the first seasons were masterpieces with the perfect combination of dark and fun. and the show was special because it was Different to all the others ones you have the point of view of the "bad guy" for starters a bad guy who was "in our side" so you can relate; thisdon't get me wrong i love Dexter and is my favourite tv show ever. michael c. hall jennifer carpenter are genius. the first seasons were masterpieces with the perfect combination of dark and fun. and the show was special because it was Different to all the others ones you have the point of view of the "bad guy" for starters a bad guy who was "in our side" so you can relate; this season is the start of bad writing they are trying too hard in making a polemic storyline and they lose the point, please i beg to the writer don't screw this up is a great show, put more attention to the writing!
    pd: sorry the english is not my language
  13. Apr 2, 2013
    Guest starring Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks Dexters sixth season finds Dexter Morgan on the hunt for a pair of serial killers, known as the Doomsday Killers, who are seemingly being inspired by stories from the Christian Bible. In fact these religious overtones are very much the theme of a season which, while not quite the train wreck some fans would want you to believe, undeniablyGuest starring Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks Dexters sixth season finds Dexter Morgan on the hunt for a pair of serial killers, known as the Doomsday Killers, who are seemingly being inspired by stories from the Christian Bible. In fact these religious overtones are very much the theme of a season which, while not quite the train wreck some fans would want you to believe, undeniably continues the shows decline into mediocrity.

Part of the problem lies with the overuse of these religious overtones but the largest issue is that while in its earlier seasons the writers always strived to retain some sense of plausibility making for tense viewing as Dexter Morgan kept his dark urges from his closest friends and family much of this has been eroded with each passing season. In its place cheap plot devices, that often find Dexter quickly discovering and dispatching yet another criminal that the LAPD seem to have missed or on some occasions killing people on the spur of the moment, yet still getting away with it, are becoming increasingly common. There are plenty of other examples of lazy writing, including characters constantly talking out loud to themselves just to explain things to the audience, that simply where not present when the show first hit the air.

A once great show is now really no better than the majority of other drama series on air and I have come to expect more from Dexter. If it is ever to return to being essential television once again its seventh season needs to return its sense of believability (please stop putting him in situations in which he escapes at the last minute!) and recapture what first attracted its viewers. This season’s final scene certainly hinted that the show may be willing to shake things up a little so I still hold out hope.
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    Maybe critics gave it so much crap because this season is about religion based murders but I honestly think it's the second best season of the show (behind Season 4 of course). DDK (Doomsday Killer) is a very entertaining villain and gives Trinity a run for his money as the show's best villain.
  15. Nov 9, 2012
    It couldn't have gone any deeper than it did since Hanks' character is a bit too insane for Dexter to relate to; however, the show is compelling as ever. It's unmissable.
  16. Oct 28, 2012
    This season started with a lot of promise but had a hard time living up to it. With an episode halfway through, "Nebraska", that we could have easily lived without this season was just a bit of a let down, that is until the last 10 minutes of the finale. If the rest of the season was like the finale, we would have had another season 4.
  17. Oct 5, 2012
    I realize I'm a bit behind on the topic, but... we don't have Showtime so I am forced to wait for the DVD's. We have watched all of the prior episodes / season... and the last thing I remember watching is Dexter's wife being killed by Trinity and him walking into the bathroom to pick up the baby off the floor that was covered in blood.

So we get the first disc for S6, pop it in, and I

So we get the first disc for S6, pop it in, and I am COMPLETELY lost. Who's the blond chick?? Why is the baby suddenly a toddler? Did I miss a season? WTH? We turned it off within the first 5 minutes because I was certain we skipped discs or possibly an entire season.
  18. Aug 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An improvement over its messy fifth season. The sixth season of Dexter had a solid start and a solid ending. The main problems were the middle act of the season. While I liked how it was a new start in Dexter\'s life, Season 6 started to take a big stumble after pursuing unnecessary subplots that culminated in an uneccessary endgame towards the first half of the season. The episode 7 titled Nebraska is hands down one of the worst episodes this show has ever had. The result of these unecessary subplots was the poor development of its villains which are vital to a season\'s greatness. Instead of unnecessarily pursuing and combining the Ice Truck and Trinity Killer stories in the above mentioned disastrous episode, there could have been enough time to develop the new villains. The twist involving Gellar and Travis didn\'t work out well considering it was done towards the end. All that being said it had a strong start and it\'s finale was very good which could have been better considering the very week episodes that built up to it. Overall it\'s better than Season 3 and Season 5, but nowhere close to Seasons 1, 2 and 4 Expand
  19. Jul 30, 2012
    I finally finished this season to be officially caught up. Season 6 isn't as good as some of the past seasons, but I still enjoyed it. The big theme of this season is religion, and they pull if off very well. The Doomsday killers (or should I say killer) perform murders based on the book of Revelations, and they plan, "to end the world". On the other hand is Brother Sam (played veryI finally finished this season to be officially caught up. Season 6 isn't as good as some of the past seasons, but I still enjoyed it. The big theme of this season is religion, and they pull if off very well. The Doomsday killers (or should I say killer) perform murders based on the book of Revelations, and they plan, "to end the world". On the other hand is Brother Sam (played very well by Mos Def), who Dexter meets and even becomes friends with. Brother Sam is a great character who shows the positive side of religion, while the Doomsday killer uses religion as an excuse to murder. Colin Hanks and Edwards James Olmos are the Doomsday killers. EJO is great. He used to be a professor who is an expert on the book of Revelations and inspires Colin Hanks. While EJO does a great job, the show pulls off an unforgivable twist that might be the worst I've ever witnessed in any show or movie. The "big twist" is that EJO is only a figment of Colin Hanks imagination (much like Dexter's dad). In the 3rd to last episode it is revealed that Hanks killed EJO 3 years ago and has been carrying out the murders on his own. It's an absolutley terrible twist. In my opinion there are two ways that a twist can be ruined. One, the twist doesn't make any sense, and two, it's an unneccesary twist. Dexter fails miserably in both these regards. For the entire season it is very clear that EJO is real. At one point when Hanks is having doubts about carrying on their "mission", EJO confronts him, and hits him in the face with a shovel. When Hanks wakes up, he is CHAINED to the ground, and EJO admits that he murdered Hanks sister to keep him "on the path". This makes ZERO sense. How could Hanks chain himself to the ground and escape? There are numerous other examples (such as Dexter actually seeing EJO himself) that prove how senseless the twist is. The twist was also unneccesary. EJO was by far the more interesting of the two Doomsday killers, so to make him imaginary almost destroyed the entire season for me. Thankfully the last 5 minutes completely redeem the whole season. I'd go as far to say that this ending is better than the gut punch at the end of Season 4, which is a bold statement. The most interesting sub plot in this season is easily Deb. She eventually starts to see a shrink (the one she was ordered to see in Season 5 when she killed that one killer in the club), and the show digs deep into her pyshcology. It gives her character more depth than it ever had before, which is very important considering how vital she is to the show. She eventually comes to the realization that she loves Dexter, and by love I mean... LOVE. It's the reason all of her past realtionships have failed. The shrink brings this out of her by mentioning that they aren't blood related, and that it's more realistic than Deb may think. Deb comes to this realization at the very end of the season and decides to confront Dexter about it. She knows he is at the abandoned church where the Doomsday killer was holed up, but she thinks he is doing forensic work there. What she doesn't know is that Dexter has Hanks there, and is on the verge of killing him. Just as she arrives she witnesses Dexter kill Hanks, and is equally shocked and horrified. Dexter sees her, freezes and the show cuts to black. It's one hell of an ending that saved Season 6. Had is not been for the idiotic twist this season could have been much better. That being said, Season 7 should be phenomenal. Expand
  20. May 27, 2012
    Ohh my f... god.... this must be the WORSE season of a GREAT show that use to be, long time ago, very good... now I see how **** a show can become... don't know if it's fame/money... or simply a sentiment of WTF, WATHEVER... we are all famous, and rich... let's do whatever we want...

crap... simply the BIGGEST DECLINE in a TV show QUALITY, EVER!!!!!!
  21. May 6, 2012
    What the hell happened?
    This season is superficial and hollow.
    The fresh idea to take religion as the central theme was good thinking, if it wasn't for that terribly bad execution. And all this bull about Dexter the Hero is retarded since they showed us in 5 seasons how much he isn't a hero. And for all of us original Dexter fans, that is inacceptable! So let's hope they wont **** up
    What the hell happened?
    This season is superficial and hollow.
    And for all of us original Dexter fans, that is inacceptable!
    So let's hope they wont **** up season 7 as well...
  22. Mar 28, 2012
    After watching this season again, I realize this is one of the most amazing seasons of Dexter. Probably the best behind 1, and 4, respectively. This season has been the most exhilirating, scariest, most disturbing, and darkest season yet. It also pushed the supporting cast forward to unknown territory. I loved the way Batista and his partner interacted. The killers were evil, the twist wasAfter watching this season again, I realize this is one of the most amazing seasons of Dexter. Probably the best behind 1, and 4, respectively. This season has been the most exhilirating, scariest, most disturbing, and darkest season yet. It also pushed the supporting cast forward to unknown territory. I loved the way Batista and his partner interacted. The killers were evil, the twist was effective, and the last ten seconds make up for the generic finale. I loved this season, loved the approach, loved the style, and can't wait for Season 7 in September! Expand
  23. Mar 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would like to say, this is not season 4, it was a great season, dont compare every season that comes after it to it. At this point in the show, Dexter has really become more human now with his son, Harrison. the big thing about this season is Dexter is staring to think about what will he pass down to Harrison, since hes getting older and starting to understand. So the little things with Dexter and Harrison are cool. And there is the serial killer of the season. this time "they're" driven by by god to bring about the end of the world. Still interesting as ever and really creepy. This is a great season. Is it season 4? No. but that doesn't mean the show will be bad from now on. Expand
  24. Feb 28, 2012
    This season was unbelievably silly. Gone are the days where Dexter actively tries to not get caught. Now he just sort of wings it and manages to stay under the Miami Metro's radar. The only good subplot of the whole season got killed off halfway through, and while I like Colin Hanks, his part was horribly miscast. I don't know if I've just grown up since I first started watching theThis season was unbelievably silly. Gone are the days where Dexter actively tries to not get caught. Now he just sort of wings it and manages to stay under the Miami Metro's radar. The only good subplot of the whole season got killed off halfway through, and while I like Colin Hanks, his part was horribly miscast. I don't know if I've just grown up since I first started watching the series or if it really has gone downhill, but I can say that I just didn't enjoy this season. Expand
  25. Feb 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this season was basically a parody of previous years and was another filler season like seasons three and five. The only redeeming thing this season has to offer is introducing us to season 8's bad guy, Louis Greene. There is a story arc that has begun, but wont be very parallel to Dexter's under your nose the whole time story arc unless it waits until season 8, so don't count on that until the final season.

in the meantime, other than that we could have skipped the whole season by having Deb find out he was a killer at the end of the also bland season 5.
  26. Feb 14, 2012
    Many people are giving Dexter the flac for the season 6 storyline and the trend that this series is following.

First and foremost, most agree that S1 and S4 were the best. I agree too. But that doesn't make the rest of the seasons the worst out there. When you compared them with 1 and 4, they might not match up, but in comparison to most other serials, they are way better. This season

First and foremost, most agree that S1 and S4 were the best. I agree too.

But that doesn't make the rest of the seasons the worst out there. When you compared them with 1 and 4, they might not match up, but in comparison to most other serials, they are way better. This season was many times slower than the previous seasons sometimes almost making me drowsy with all the talking talking talking and emotional stuff that was mostly centred on Debra Morgan (as always).

However this season has a great villain (though not as charismatic or creepy as the Trinity Killer or Ice Truck Killer) with his own dark story. Excellent ways of killing people on the villain's part (atleast the first 4) and almost every episode has an end that makes you want more! The season has a great ending just like season 4 (though nowhere as shocking!).

I watched 6 seasons of Dexter in a span of 1 and half week so it is also a possibility that my drowsiness was a result of the tiredness, but regardless I say this is a fun season.

However the producers and the rest of the crew would do 'Dexter' a service by making sure they come up with something ground breaking and WAY different in the next season!
  27. Feb 1, 2012
    Well, since I love the Dexter series, and critics rate Homeland 1 ( which I loved too) a perfect 10, I have to rate Dexter 6 an 11, like season 5. (The first season of Dexter may have been a 15, in retrospect.) Dexter is above regular series, but it has been noticed by the mainstream, bored viewers and critics. Keep going your own way, Dexter. Don't compete with the middle masses.
  28. Jan 10, 2012
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk. Great season. Great potential for the future. Dex and deb sittin in a tree.. k-i-l-l-i-n-g. Who doesn't want to see that.
  29. Jan 9, 2012
    The fist half of this season was amazing. BUT, the second half, with perhaps a few expectations was such a missed oppurtunity, and a big let down. Brother Sam was a great character though, and his story was great.
  30. Jan 5, 2012
    Great season, not sure what all the hate is about, after 6 seasons it is still staying fresh.
    The killers are as interesting as ever, Definitely Cannot wait for season 7

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Dec 8, 2011
    If there's a TV writers' version of Stockholm syndrome, Dexter is Exhibit A.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Oct 3, 2011
    After a lively and appealingly hilarious premiere, Dexter goes entirely off the rails with two episodes hobbled by clumsy victims-of-the-week and then crushed with endless repetition of the core theme.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Oct 3, 2011
    Having peaked a few seasons back in the amazing John Lithgow season, Showtime's hit Dexter at least seems to be enjoying itself as year six kicks off.