Dexter : Season 6

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
6.4

1. Dec 19, 2011
    Despite a convenient, sloppy, and predictable ending, the season had some twists that were intriguing, and it thoroughly explored the minds of serial killers both religiously and personally. Although I'm still excited for the seasons to come and the show is still great at cliffhangers that make you feel obligated and excited to see future episodes, the series is not at the same calibre asDespite a convenient, sloppy, and predictable ending, the season had some twists that were intriguing, and it thoroughly explored the minds of serial killers both religiously and personally. Although I'm still excited for the seasons to come and the show is still great at cliffhangers that make you feel obligated and excited to see future episodes, the series is not at the same calibre as it once was. For the most part it's more creative and interesting than most of television, but I can't help but compare it to the earlier seasons, which were far more clever and unpredictable than what the show is today. Expand
  2. Oct 3, 2011
    The season six premiere of Dexter was very funny and entertaining. I don't know if the rest of the season will be as good as the premiere, but i'm hoping for the best.
  3. Feb 14, 2016
    This sixth season of Dexter takes a little while to gets its feet under itself. There's almost two completely different story arcs here, with only a sprinkle of crossover. Still, you can feel things getting a little more out of hand for Dexter Morgan and, when the curtain finally falls, you're left with the "oh... crap" that hooks you into season 7. This show has been prettyThis sixth season of Dexter takes a little while to gets its feet under itself. There's almost two completely different story arcs here, with only a sprinkle of crossover. Still, you can feel things getting a little more out of hand for Dexter Morgan and, when the curtain finally falls, you're left with the "oh... crap" that hooks you into season 7. This show has been pretty consistently paced, but only sometimes throttles up the actions/intensity/plot development, and I can't help but think there's more to be brought out of this progressing story than what already has. Expand
  4. Dec 19, 2011
    How can a season of a television show be reviewed before the entire season has aired? I'll never understand that. You have to view the season as a whole before juding it. You wouldn't review a book after reading the first chapter, would you?

Personally, I enjoyed this season from beginning to end. Some intriguing characters were introduced, interesting elements explored, and a serious shocker of an ending. The surprise of this finale compares to that of season four.

I thoroughly enjoyed this season as Dexter did indeed seem to return to his roots. I liked how they worked elements of past seasons into this one.
  5. Feb 1, 2012
    Well, since I love the Dexter series, and critics rate Homeland 1 ( which I loved too) a perfect 10, I have to rate Dexter 6 an 11, like season 5. (The first season of Dexter may have been a 15, in retrospect.) Dexter is above regular series, but it has been noticed by the mainstream, bored viewers and critics. Keep going your own way, Dexter. Don't compete with the middle masses.
  6. Nov 13, 2011
    Dexter has yet to develop or change. This season he tells killers to forgive themselves adding a new layer of criteria to his kills. But he cannot practice what he preaches. Since he feels no guilt he can't forgive himself. He is clearly a sociopath now: The risky sex, getting things "he wants", and lying and stealing. In some effect he's devolved into an emotional, self centeredDexter has yet to develop or change. This season he tells killers to forgive themselves adding a new layer of criteria to his kills. But he cannot practice what he preaches. Since he feels no guilt he can't forgive himself. He is clearly a sociopath now: The risky sex, getting things "he wants", and lying and stealing. In some effect he's devolved into an emotional, self centered sociopath, where before, Harry's "code" had almost transformed him into a high level psychopath (with little risk of being discovered). I fear that since he feels no guilt for his own actions that his new philosophy may turn out to be a vanity and a hypocrisy: He still seeks out the most moral way possible to please his dark desires. Right now the only thing I've realized is how far the audience will go to empathize with a serial killer; someone with no chance of reciprocating that empathy. In order for Dexter to develop he'll have to actually change his behaviour and not just preach like his dead mechanic friend. Right now the religion and the added responsibilities of fatherhood are merely window dressing to his sociopathic mistakes, and mistakes of the writer's. Expand
  7. Oct 2, 2011
    I agree that the mainstream critics have thus far rated this opening too low. It was excellent, and the new "badies" are chillingly sinister. This looks to be an awesome season!
  8. Mar 18, 2016
    After a rather disappointing, but still enjoyable 5th season, Dexter gets back on track. The show once again tries something new with the formula. There's still serial killers causing trouble for the department that Dexter must deal with, but the majority of the season doesn't focus on that. Instead we witness Dexter's struggle with religion and huge changes in Debra's life.

To make

To make things even better the whole thing kicks off with a sense of newly invigorated dark humor. I found myself laughing out loud several times throughout this season. Dexter has always had some humorous moments, but this time it really feels like it's part black comedy. A bold and wonderfully successful move.

Like I said, the serial killers aren't getting most of the attention here. It's all about Dexter's struggle with religion. It's personal, deep, and yet even more exciting looks into the mind of a serial killer. The season as a whole carries religious tones. The serial killers are taking pages straight from the Bible for their kills.

One would think that this would make the whole serial killer vs serial killer aspect of the show, which has always been one of the series strong points, more interesting. Unfortunately that isn't the case. When the season does start to put all of it's focus on the actual case it loses some steam. It's still highly entertaining. Just not as much as watching the new humorous side of the show and Dexter's deep, dark struggles with whether or not there is any good in him.

It's a return to form for the show that lost it's way in the previous season. A new sense of humor and focus keep things strong and some mind-blowing plot twists and developments make the next season look all the more promising. Season 6 gets things back on track.
  9. Oct 2, 2011
    As good as ever. Ignore the mainstream critics! This is going to be an Epic season. So glad its starting now, because Breaking Bad's season ends next week. Walking Dead+Dexter = Pure TV watching goodness!
  10. Dec 17, 2011
    This season has its ups and it's downs. We can all agree that season 4 was the best, but season 6 isn't bad. Don't see why it's getting scored so low. Some things in this season are very weird making me only give it a 8.
  11. Dec 19, 2011
    The season was great but final episode was a big bust. But I still loved this years season. In order of seasons I like from best to worse it have to go 1,4,2,6,5, and 3. Can't wate for 7 how will everything turn out u think??
  12. Oct 18, 2011
    It's a great show. It has great actors, a great plot, and great character development. Season 6 of Dexter is just as good as any other, and possibly even better.

That's all there is to say.
  13. Oct 6, 2011
    Great premiere. That's all I'm rating here though. At the time of this critique that's the only episode that has been on. So, really, don't be ignorant people and predictably bash on the critics. You've only seen one episode so far. The critics have seen more than that. And they've always liked Dexter. Them going from really liking the show to giving a mediocre score should at least makeGreat premiere. That's all I'm rating here though. At the time of this critique that's the only episode that has been on. So, really, don't be ignorant people and predictably bash on the critics. You've only seen one episode so far. The critics have seen more than that. And they've always liked Dexter. Them going from really liking the show to giving a mediocre score should at least make people wonder that maybe future episodes of this new season aren't up to par. Expand
  14. Oct 4, 2011
    This is a great show, I agree ignore the critics. Season 4 was a great one, this one should beat it for sure. The premier was great and funny, very entertaining Tv. I love it and can't wait for more!
  15. Dec 11, 2011
    The season is as good as ever. A must see. Don't believe the critic in the yellow.
  16. Oct 4, 2011
    Coming off of season 5, which so many people seemed to hate, I actually enjoyed last year. I didnt like the Dexter & Lumen ending but nonetheless good season. On to this season, I really enjoyed the season premiere. I liked the humor at the high school reunion. I think the bad guys are certainly going to be interesting, and different to say the least. I thought it was overall solid andComing off of season 5, which so many people seemed to hate, I actually enjoyed last year. I didnt like the Dexter & Lumen ending but nonetheless good season. On to this season, I really enjoyed the season premiere. I liked the humor at the high school reunion. I think the bad guys are certainly going to be interesting, and different to say the least. I thought it was overall solid and cant wait to see where its going. Expand
  17. Oct 17, 2011
    I personally think that the new season is amazing. It is definitely as good as ever, Michael C. Hall is in the first episode amazing, especially in his high school 20th anniversary reunion.
  18. Oct 19, 2011
    Dexter always seems like it will be hard to enjoy barring the majority of the cast is very unlikeable. Perhaps Michael C. Hall has the ability to overshadow his counterparts. Can't imagine the minds of the writers who develop the wild villains of Dexter and if it's an inside joke to see how many times "Deb" can say F in a season. Regardless, Dexter has continuously been one a compellingDexter always seems like it will be hard to enjoy barring the majority of the cast is very unlikeable. Perhaps Michael C. Hall has the ability to overshadow his counterparts. Can't imagine the minds of the writers who develop the wild villains of Dexter and if it's an inside joke to see how many times "Deb" can say F in a season. Regardless, Dexter has continuously been one a compelling drama for six straight seasons. Expand
  19. Dec 21, 2011
    Great great last episodes of year 2011. It took some time for this rather uneven season to reach cruising speed. Yet not at the quality level of season 5, season 6 is now mature and showing very good and very promising things. Looking impatiently forward to next episodes
  20. Oct 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season of Dexter explores the theme of religion with talented guest actors and a familiar, gritty feel to it that makes it well worth your time. With the exception of Deb (and maybe Masuka), the other character arcs are put on hold in the beginning of the season to allow more time for the main plot, which remains gripping. Expand
  21. Oct 26, 2011
    Snakes in the tummy? You had me at the stitches...It inspired my "hommage" blog post today...Dizzy with pain, I turned to my fictional TV hero for help with the blood work. Please check it out and comment, for better or worse...on SinusSister.com

22. Nov 2, 2011
    Amazing season, I don't know if they are doing it on purpose but the even seasons (2,4 and now 6) are amazing, Dexter season 4 was by far the best on all dimensions and this season is shaping up to be quite as good if not better
  23. Nov 9, 2011

this guy writes some really good reviews, check it out. give it a chance!, if you like it give it a follow, and support him!
  24. Dec 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome, just awesome!!
    Unbeliavable theme of the season, that mixes thriller with action, what makes the story incredibly captivating.
    C.Hall and the usual cast are good as always, and the new characters of the season like Edward James Olmos, and Colin Hanks played a beatiful job as well.
    In my opinion one of the best dexter's seasons of all, being in the second position under of the first one only.
  25. Jan 5, 2012
    Great season, not sure what all the hate is about, after 6 seasons it is still staying fresh.
    The killers are as interesting as ever, Definitely Cannot wait for season 7
  26. Dec 1, 2011
    Critics say that Dexter it's not what it used to be. I disagree. However, I must say it's, at this point, the worst season of Dexter. It's not the worst, it's the less good.
  27. Dec 19, 2011
    This is one of the most exciting shows on television, showcasing limitless amounts of talent from Michael C. Hall, as well as a roughly interesting chemistry between the rest of the main cast. The course of events taken, are seeming to unfold as one of the most interesting, and captivating seasons of an already scalding hot show. The news of the 7th and 8th being the last seasons areThis is one of the most exciting shows on television, showcasing limitless amounts of talent from Michael C. Hall, as well as a roughly interesting chemistry between the rest of the main cast. The course of events taken, are seeming to unfold as one of the most interesting, and captivating seasons of an already scalding hot show. The news of the 7th and 8th being the last seasons are disappointing, however the act of unfolding what's been thrust into the arc of the story will likely take that amount of time, while at the same time eliminating any questions left to be answered. In the ultimate climax, we will eventually be revealed the true fate of dexter, and I don't think 8 seasons is enough, especially when mindless shows like "Weeds" and "Californication" have somehow lasted as long, and longer than the projection of texter. I sense a possible attention and acclaim strategy, set up by numeros executives to garnish curios viewership. There's no way Showtime could just allow such a money machine as Dexter to end while the notes are high, but we'll see what happens over the next two years. Who knows, maybe we'll all be tired of Dexter soon, but I just don't see it happening. Especially when each season breaks Showtime viewership records. The company isn't stupid. Expand
  28. Dec 21, 2011
    like always... ended at suspense!!
    GRAND FINALE....!!
    enjoyed watching it...
    my first tv series of any foreign country...
    made me a fan of hall and carpenter...
    waiting for the next season before the world ends(2012) ;) :P :D
    wana see wat the writers r planning to do next
    gonna be fun,i know it!!
  29. Dec 28, 2011
    My conclusion about the sixth season is that though it is a little better than five I know that this show can still do a lot better. It is a shame they did not go for a more refreshing story but instead safely followed their formula, which overall makes for not a very outstanding season, even being a little predictable. The season will probably be remembered by fans as that mediocreMy conclusion about the sixth season is that though it is a little better than five I know that this show can still do a lot better. It is a shame they did not go for a more refreshing story but instead safely followed their formula, which overall makes for not a very outstanding season, even being a little predictable. The season will probably be remembered by fans as that mediocre religious season, but mostly it will be remembered by the daring cliffhanger it had, which hopefully brings us a brilliant seventh season next year. Read full review here: http://777.webklik.nl/page/dexter Expand
  30. Jan 9, 2012
    The fist half of this season was amazing. BUT, the second half, with perhaps a few expectations was such a missed oppurtunity, and a big let down. Brother Sam was a great character though, and his story was great.
  31. Dec 31, 2011
    In my opinion absolutely without a doubt the best show ever! , and i'm telling you, I've seen great TV shows and movies for more than 7 years, Dexter is the best, it definitely has brilliant acting and great story. Dexter Rules !!
  32. Mar 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would like to say, this is not season 4, it was a great season, dont compare every season that comes after it to it. At this point in the show, Dexter has really become more human now with his son, Harrison. the big thing about this season is Dexter is staring to think about what will he pass down to Harrison, since hes getting older and starting to understand. So the little things with Dexter and Harrison are cool. And there is the serial killer of the season. this time "they're" driven by by god to bring about the end of the world. Still interesting as ever and really creepy. This is a great season. Is it season 4? No. but that doesn't mean the show will be bad from now on. Expand
  33. Jan 3, 2012
    Not as good as the other seasons. Leaned more towards religion and the difficult subject about God, but sometimes a show calls for uncomfortable topics. I enjoy the routine Dexter of previous seasons. This season was more complex and dealt with sensitive issues, especially incest and religion. Experimental!
  34. Jan 10, 2012
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk. Great season. Great potential for the future. Dex and deb sittin in a tree.. k-i-l-l-i-n-g. Who doesn't want to see that.
  35. Dec 7, 2012
    Maybe critics gave it so much crap because this season is about religion based murders but I honestly think it's the second best season of the show (behind Season 4 of course). DDK (Doomsday Killer) is a very entertaining villain and gives Trinity a run for his money as the show's best villain.
  36. Jul 30, 2012
    I finally finished this season to be officially caught up. Season 6 isn't as good as some of the past seasons, but I still enjoyed it. The big theme of this season is religion, and they pull if off very well. The Doomsday killers (or should I say killer) perform murders based on the book of Revelations, and they plan, "to end the world". On the other hand is Brother Sam (played veryI finally finished this season to be officially caught up. Season 6 isn't as good as some of the past seasons, but I still enjoyed it. The big theme of this season is religion, and they pull if off very well. The Doomsday killers (or should I say killer) perform murders based on the book of Revelations, and they plan, "to end the world". On the other hand is Brother Sam (played very well by Mos Def), who Dexter meets and even becomes friends with. Brother Sam is a great character who shows the positive side of religion, while the Doomsday killer uses religion as an excuse to murder. Colin Hanks and Edwards James Olmos are the Doomsday killers. EJO is great. He used to be a professor who is an expert on the book of Revelations and inspires Colin Hanks. While EJO does a great job, the show pulls off an unforgivable twist that might be the worst I've ever witnessed in any show or movie. The "big twist" is that EJO is only a figment of Colin Hanks imagination (much like Dexter's dad). In the 3rd to last episode it is revealed that Hanks killed EJO 3 years ago and has been carrying out the murders on his own. It's an absolutley terrible twist. In my opinion there are two ways that a twist can be ruined. One, the twist doesn't make any sense, and two, it's an unneccesary twist. Dexter fails miserably in both these regards. For the entire season it is very clear that EJO is real. At one point when Hanks is having doubts about carrying on their "mission", EJO confronts him, and hits him in the face with a shovel. When Hanks wakes up, he is CHAINED to the ground, and EJO admits that he murdered Hanks sister to keep him "on the path". This makes ZERO sense. How could Hanks chain himself to the ground and escape? There are numerous other examples (such as Dexter actually seeing EJO himself) that prove how senseless the twist is. The twist was also unneccesary. EJO was by far the more interesting of the two Doomsday killers, so to make him imaginary almost destroyed the entire season for me. Thankfully the last 5 minutes completely redeem the whole season. I'd go as far to say that this ending is better than the gut punch at the end of Season 4, which is a bold statement. The most interesting sub plot in this season is easily Deb. She eventually starts to see a shrink (the one she was ordered to see in Season 5 when she killed that one killer in the club), and the show digs deep into her pyshcology. It gives her character more depth than it ever had before, which is very important considering how vital she is to the show. She eventually comes to the realization that she loves Dexter, and by love I mean... LOVE. It's the reason all of her past realtionships have failed. The shrink brings this out of her by mentioning that they aren't blood related, and that it's more realistic than Deb may think. Deb comes to this realization at the very end of the season and decides to confront Dexter about it. She knows he is at the abandoned church where the Doomsday killer was holed up, but she thinks he is doing forensic work there. What she doesn't know is that Dexter has Hanks there, and is on the verge of killing him. Just as she arrives she witnesses Dexter kill Hanks, and is equally shocked and horrified. Dexter sees her, freezes and the show cuts to black. It's one hell of an ending that saved Season 6. Had is not been for the idiotic twist this season could have been much better. That being said, Season 7 should be phenomenal. Collapse
  37. Feb 14, 2012
    Many people are giving Dexter the flac for the season 6 storyline and the trend that this series is following.

First and foremost, most agree that S1 and S4 were the best. I agree too. But that doesn't make the rest of the seasons the worst out there. When you compared them with 1 and 4, they might not match up, but in comparison to most other serials, they are way better. This season

First and foremost, most agree that S1 and S4 were the best. I agree too.

But that doesn't make the rest of the seasons the worst out there. When you compared them with 1 and 4, they might not match up, but in comparison to most other serials, they are way better. This season was many times slower than the previous seasons sometimes almost making me drowsy with all the talking talking talking and emotional stuff that was mostly centred on Debra Morgan (as always).

However this season has a great villain (though not as charismatic or creepy as the Trinity Killer or Ice Truck Killer) with his own dark story. Excellent ways of killing people on the villain's part (atleast the first 4) and almost every episode has an end that makes you want more! The season has a great ending just like season 4 (though nowhere as shocking!).

I watched 6 seasons of Dexter in a span of 1 and half week so it is also a possibility that my drowsiness was a result of the tiredness, but regardless I say this is a fun season.

However the producers and the rest of the crew would do 'Dexter' a service by making sure they come up with something ground breaking and WAY different in the next season!
  38. Mar 28, 2012
    After watching this season again, I realize this is one of the most amazing seasons of Dexter. Probably the best behind 1, and 4, respectively. This season has been the most exhilirating, scariest, most disturbing, and darkest season yet. It also pushed the supporting cast forward to unknown territory. I loved the way Batista and his partner interacted. The killers were evil, the twist wasAfter watching this season again, I realize this is one of the most amazing seasons of Dexter. Probably the best behind 1, and 4, respectively. This season has been the most exhilirating, scariest, most disturbing, and darkest season yet. It also pushed the supporting cast forward to unknown territory. I loved the way Batista and his partner interacted. The killers were evil, the twist was effective, and the last ten seconds make up for the generic finale. I loved this season, loved the approach, loved the style, and can't wait for Season 7 in September! Expand
  39. Oct 28, 2012
    This season started with a lot of promise but had a hard time living up to it. With an episode halfway through, "Nebraska", that we could have easily lived without this season was just a bit of a let down, that is until the last 10 minutes of the finale. If the rest of the season was like the finale, we would have had another season 4.
  40. Nov 9, 2012
    It couldn't have gone any deeper than it did since Hanks' character is a bit too insane for Dexter to relate to; however, the show is compelling as ever. It's unmissable.
  41. Jul 19, 2013
    over rated and falling apart. this season really stretched the disbelief past breaking point. the show got back some of its intrigue, but its hard to take it seriously as anything but melodrama at this point.
  42. Sep 24, 2013
    The infamous season 6. This season is known by fans for being terrible. In my opinion its not nearly as bad as people say. The religion theme was very cool, and brother Sam was a great supporting character. But this season was still far from perfect. It has one of the most predictable twists of all time, and of the villain played by Colin Hanks was just awful. The characters did veryThe infamous season 6. This season is known by fans for being terrible. In my opinion its not nearly as bad as people say. The religion theme was very cool, and brother Sam was a great supporting character. But this season was still far from perfect. It has one of the most predictable twists of all time, and of the villain played by Colin Hanks was just awful. The characters did very stupid things. and the sideplots for the side characters were terrible. But being said this is still an enjoyable season. Its definitely not the worst though, that is reserved for the atrociously bad Season 8. Expand
  43. Oct 19, 2013
    on the fifth season the series dropped slightly its high quality in this sixth season its quality increased again, this time the series has another great villain and another ending creepy.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Dec 8, 2011
    If there's a TV writers' version of Stockholm syndrome, Dexter is Exhibit A.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Oct 3, 2011
    After a lively and appealingly hilarious premiere, Dexter goes entirely off the rails with two episodes hobbled by clumsy victims-of-the-week and then crushed with endless repetition of the core theme.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Oct 3, 2011
    Having peaked a few seasons back in the amazing John Lithgow season, Showtime's hit Dexter at least seems to be enjoying itself as year six kicks off.