• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
5.5

1. Oct 1, 2013
    The worst season of Dexter, by far. It's like the writers, producers and actors didn't care anymore. The first 4 seasons made Dexter a very good/excellent series. The last 4 season, especially that last one, killed the legacy. What a let down.
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. It is very sad to see Dexter limp to the finish line. The end started after Rita was killed off it lost the opportunity to have Dexter try and balance his family life and maintain his ongoing commitment to the Code. And the way this season started out with Debra already having quit the police force and the murder of LaGureta was already solved. It would have made for better TV viewing if Debra was having to investigate her murder when she was the one who killed LaGureta as Dexter watched. But to no avail what we get is a mish-mash of new characters who don't have time to develop, etc... very sad to see a once great show where the writers, cast, etc.. have just mailed it in

On the other hand "Breaking Bad" is going out in a blaze of glory. Yea
  3. Sep 24, 2013
    A weak season overall with no sense of danger throughout. But it's still Dexter. The final episode was very powerful but as is often the case with finale's, very controversial. I do think Dexter should have ended a while ago but it's still a treat to watch.
  4. Mar 18, 2014
    I think they tried to cram too much into one season and it just did not work. The main serial killer was very lack-luster and no where near as good or compelling as the others. Adding all this backstory for Dexter, as well as other characters who stopped being useful many seasons ago (Angel and Masuka) now was pointless as well, Especially when they had 7 previous seasons to do so, It wasI think they tried to cram too much into one season and it just did not work. The main serial killer was very lack-luster and no where near as good or compelling as the others. Adding all this backstory for Dexter, as well as other characters who stopped being useful many seasons ago (Angel and Masuka) now was pointless as well, Especially when they had 7 previous seasons to do so, It was really unneeded. And as for the series finale, I didn't mind it but it definitely was poorly executed and was a huge disappointment to send off such a great series in a poor way.

Overall, I wouldn't say it's the worst season of the show but it was definitely the most disappointing.
  5. Sep 14, 2013
    Dexter has taken a disappointing turn from its darker roots, turning Dexter from a ruthless psychopath into just another emotionally charged criminal, with a bizarre sense of justice. Dexter doesn't question our ethics like it used to, or take basic humane morality and flip it on its head anymore. Dexter Morgan is still a watchable character on his own, as is his foster sister Debra, butDexter has taken a disappointing turn from its darker roots, turning Dexter from a ruthless psychopath into just another emotionally charged criminal, with a bizarre sense of justice. Dexter doesn't question our ethics like it used to, or take basic humane morality and flip it on its head anymore. Dexter Morgan is still a watchable character on his own, as is his foster sister Debra, but every other interaction in the entire series from their co-workers to their closest friends are just as plodding and mindless to watch as ever, acting as padding to fill in the spots between the genuine points of interest.
    New characters act as interesting diversions, though the series as a whole seems to have lost its ethical edge. We're no longer seeing Dexter's actions as a cruel sense of justice and questioning just how necessary his actions really are in shaping a better world, killing is just something he does, now.
    Now note I'm writing this two episodes shy of the series finale, and it appears as though things are about to really pick up, but for now, I'm only writing from what I've seen so far.
  6. Jul 30, 2013
    To have a protagonist who always gets what he wants with little to no resistance is terrible storytelling. The writers of Dexter appear not to see it this way and it shows more than ever in this final season. Dexter and True Blood are in the same category now. Once great series that have fallen from grace and become utter garbage.
  7. Aug 10, 2013
    Wow, they really messed up this time. Its way too easy to see, that they just prolonged the series because of their financial gain. The story isn't like great shows, fx Game of Thrones, which has a real story with a beginning and a journey with a story to tell. Not just an obvious attempt to keep the viewers in their pocket. It's like they, when they found out they'd earn money on seasonWow, they really messed up this time. Its way too easy to see, that they just prolonged the series because of their financial gain. The story isn't like great shows, fx Game of Thrones, which has a real story with a beginning and a journey with a story to tell. Not just an obvious attempt to keep the viewers in their pocket. It's like they, when they found out they'd earn money on season 8, just conveniently made up this psychologist that made huge reports on Dexter as a child and youngster, even though we have never met her before. This season theme is, like in all other 7, the creation or reveal of Dexter's human side. This time though, it is with the eyes of an unrealistic and cynical psychologist. And like all the other seasons –except maybe for the first 2 there isn’t, so far at least, any development in this changing of Dexter. Really disappointing, they should have thought out this long ago, instead of this post financial security engineering. Really bad season, and by the way, how many serial killers can there be!? We have met countless so far, and... i won't even waste more time writing about this show, that was good in the first 2 seasons, horrible 8th season. Don't watch it. Expand
  8. Aug 13, 2013
    First of all I would like to start saying that I loved Dexter on the first 5 Seasons 5-7 I tolerated him and on 8th I hated him :P
    Why ?
    Why ?
    It's very simple. In my opinion Michael C. Hall doesn't seem to have the same energy and passion to the Dexter's role as he used to have in the first seasons. Also the rest of the cast are also mediocre. As a viewer this pisses me off. Seasons 5-7 had their moments but until now season 8th doesn't have anything as good as the previous.
    I'm going to continue watch it out of habit any way, but I'm irritated by the fact that a promising show like that has an ending season like this one.
  9. Oct 18, 2013
    Severe disappointment, especially after the season 7 comeback. It started off with a solid 4 episodes, then immediately began to veer off-track. Forget hoping for a good finale! The last year consistently disappointed fans with each succeeding episode. Our hopes were up for nothing. Where this show began as one of the greatest dramas in television history, it overstayed its welcome and hasSevere disappointment, especially after the season 7 comeback. It started off with a solid 4 episodes, then immediately began to veer off-track. Forget hoping for a good finale! The last year consistently disappointed fans with each succeeding episode. Our hopes were up for nothing. Where this show began as one of the greatest dramas in television history, it overstayed its welcome and has long since fallen from that status. Expand
  10. Oct 19, 2013
    What's happened to dexter? What was once a unique and incredibly interesting is now showing its signs of old age. After 8 seasons it is definitely time to end the show. A show that deserved to go out with a bang sadly disappointed and I feel underwhelmed.
  11. Oct 16, 2013
    Despite getting off to a fantastic start the eight season of Dexter began to fail around the 8th episode. The Dexter-Hannah dynamic did not work this season and the writing for the last couple of episodes was pretty poor. That said, Vogel was a very interesting character and did manage to fill in plot wholes and Deb's character progression throughout the season and her progression ofDespite getting off to a fantastic start the eight season of Dexter began to fail around the 8th episode. The Dexter-Hannah dynamic did not work this season and the writing for the last couple of episodes was pretty poor. That said, Vogel was a very interesting character and did manage to fill in plot wholes and Deb's character progression throughout the season and her progression of learning to trust Dexter was very interesting. Expand
  12. Sep 27, 2013
    The final episode of Dexter was poorly executed. I sort of felt the entire series was a bit cut and run to be honest but at least they took a final stab at it.
  13. Sep 28, 2013
    WORST SEASON IN DEXTER HISTORY! were the writers drunk? too romantic who cares who loves who and who hates who lets see some action instead of dexter becoming soft and talking about Argentina half the time and not even showing up. O hey Saxton i have a knife but its ok ill let ya go i dont wanna kill I'm retarded
  14. Oct 19, 2013
    the eighth and final season of dexter was the most disappointing of the series, this season uses things that did not make sense to use, the series had an ending for everything and it ended up disappointing me a lot, dexter had the potential to have a good ending.
  15. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't really know how I feel about it. It was OK before it became better. The final episodes picked up the pace. Not really sure about the finale, though. Dexter has always been more than just a human being. He's the perfect psychopath. Here he turned sissy which cost him very dearly. When Debra dies and he takes her out to the sea, I was expecting him to just sail on into the storm, but no. He throws her into the sea and then fakes his death. I don't get it. If this was the most important person in his life, he should have just died with her. And if she was replaced by someone else, he shouldn't have taken all the trouble of faking his death and just hopped on a plane to Argentina. Or, better (at least in my opinion), Hannah being cute and likeable notwithstanding, this was a show primarily about the Morgans. Dexter should have died, or turned himself in. Deb should have been discovered and fled the country with Harrison. As about Hannah, who gives a f***? The ending looked to be inspired by Dark Knight Rises.

The reason I liked Dexter so much was he could take decisions no one can in real life, at least not legally. You don't let your enemies live. That is what Dexter should have learned after Rita's death. But no, he had to go and have his sister killed. Looking to build a life for himself, deserting his kid sister, who clearly would always need him, especially after what he had put her through. He should have just killed her immediately after she discovered him with the Doomsday Killer. Then he had the shamelessness to save himself and fake his death. Fake it. How lame? Could it not have moved more away from reality? He should either have sailed into the storm or confessed to his crimes, extolling Deb's virtue or something. How could you let yourself live on if you know you are the cause of your own sibling's death? I mean, what the f***? Or, he could have sailed on into the ocean until his fuel ran out. And due to the storm, no one would look for him, and there, he could starve to death, with Deb's body by his side, and reflect on how he ****ed up her life.

And... f*** Hannah Mckay. Did Dexter truly trust Harrison with her than with the boy's aunt, or his grandparents, or half-siblings for that matter? Some of the most mind-boggling decisions and plot holes. He always left Harrison with Jaime but he left him with a woman who everyone is looking for and could easily put the kid in jeopardy. So disappointing I do not have words for it. Completely ruined the show for me. I can't recommend it to anyone knowing how it would end.
  16. Jan 5, 2014
    This is a really good show for anyone who likes crime TV and a good drama/thriller. However, the last 2 seasons are really, really bad. You could skip them entirely and probably be fine with the ending of season 6. It's probably a better ending to the show than the actual ending. The last 2 seasons were obviously rushed and the writing suffered severely. Lot's of characters that shouldThis is a really good show for anyone who likes crime TV and a good drama/thriller. However, the last 2 seasons are really, really bad. You could skip them entirely and probably be fine with the ending of season 6. It's probably a better ending to the show than the actual ending. The last 2 seasons were obviously rushed and the writing suffered severely. Lot's of characters that should have never been introduced, terrible side plots, and main plots. Avoid the last 2 seasons, just watch season 1-6. Otherwise, the show is great, seasons 1-4 are really good, seasons 5 and 6 are okay but still good if you are a fan of the show. Expand
  17. Jan 21, 2014
    Boycotting Scott Buck forever. Worst series finale I have ever watched in my life. I feel like the should make another episode and fix it. Then Scott Buck should publicly apologize for that crap. I'd give the season a zero but the with the exception of the series finale it wasn't that bad.
  18. Jul 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even with some great tension that arises early in the season, the overall presentation is sloppy and a botched attempt at finding an ending that will be a slap in the face for most fans/viewers. Expand
  19. Oct 14, 2014
    It was the worst one. The show was dragging unimportant things and nothing good was happening at all. Got so bored watching this, had to watch all these episode to reach at an equally disappointing end.

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    Jul 1, 2013
    Interestingly, Dexter settled into a groove that suggested it could go on for years.... If Dexter regains its eerie footing (and it appears it will), look for it to explode in the final weeks. Sunday's edition says the surprises have just begun.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jun 28, 2013
    This could all pay off spectacularly. [8 Jul 2013, p.36]
  3. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jun 28, 2013
    Rampling brings her primly authoritative presence and a stern look to the task. Her scenes with Hall crackle with tension.