Dexter : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
9.1

1. Apr 16, 2017
    Dexter is an amazing show. He is definitely my favorite serial killer. This season was awesome. Michael C. Hall is perfect. It is a great show and I love watching.
  2. Apr 11, 2017
    The story behind Dexter made me an addict right after finishing the first episode. The interpretation from Michael C. Hall is amazing and i wouldn't find anyone else better to represent that role. The biggest problem i've found on this TV Show is the amount of seasons. One of the main problem of this industry is keep selling what we want to see and they ended up ruining it a bit. The lastThe story behind Dexter made me an addict right after finishing the first episode. The interpretation from Michael C. Hall is amazing and i wouldn't find anyone else better to represent that role. The biggest problem i've found on this TV Show is the amount of seasons. One of the main problem of this industry is keep selling what we want to see and they ended up ruining it a bit. The last seasons are poor and unfortunately changed the valuation i wanted to give to Dexter. Although, it deserves a positive note in my opinion Expand
  3. Apr 2, 2017
    It is hard for me to get sucked into a TV show so quickly but Dexter had no trouble doing that right away. Through its dark and mysterious plot line, Dexter leaves viewers in anticipation of what happens next. The character development goes in depth every season and only gets more interesting. Dexter is a must watch if you love anticipation, suspense, thrill, and a little bit of darkness.
  4. Mar 22, 2017
    The first season of Dexter is by far my favorite season out of the show, as it's consistently tense, thrilling, and wonderfully dark all the way through. It definitely had me invested, and i wish the quality and impact the first season had stayed consistent throughout the series.
  5. Dec 30, 2016
    Great first season. This show, to be honest, started out a bit boring for me. I watched the first couple of episodes and I actually was so bored I didn't watch the show again for about 2 years. But I was trying to find a show to watch, and I came across it and decided to give it another go. There were a few plotholes/conveniences (killing the psychiatrist in his office, for instance,Great first season. This show, to be honest, started out a bit boring for me. I watched the first couple of episodes and I actually was so bored I didn't watch the show again for about 2 years. But I was trying to find a show to watch, and I came across it and decided to give it another go. There were a few plotholes/conveniences (killing the psychiatrist in his office, for instance, without anyone coming in or trying to find out where he was at, or at the end, the police leaving Deb without any police protection when the guy who kidnapped and almost killed her was still on the loose). However, the show still shines despite these. A very thrilling watch.

8.75/10
  6. Dec 18, 2016
    Первая половина сезона скучна, порой даже слишком, вторая намного лучше, но всё же иногда проседает.
    На некоторых персонажей просто наплевать, хотя их подают как основных, но когда сцены с ними ещё и затягивают, то хочется просто промотать.
    Из плюсов: Хорошая картинка, неожиданный поворот в конце, Декстер, музыка. В целом неплохо.
    Из плюсов:
    Хорошая картинка, неожиданный поворот в конце, Декстер, музыка.
    В целом неплохо.
  7. Jun 27, 2016
    Centered on a forensic technician/vigilante serial killer,the first season does not disappoint.It's a bit chilly and
    some cases might be boring but all of it is well compensated by Dexter's character and his views on those cases
    Do watch if you are into a good yet dramatic psychological study .
  8. May 8, 2016
    Amazing season with an amazing antagonist, full of shocks and surprises, twists and turns. The main protagonist Dexter is an amazing character who is not your typical protagonist.
  9. Feb 1, 2016
    Dexter's first season thrives on an intriguing central character with a dark secret that constantly threatens his well-being. The whole serial killer that kills people that get away with awful things is a great premise, but while Dexter is certainly a winner, its first season doesn't scream "instant classic". It's a jumping off point that gets carried for its unique spin on TV, and its aDexter's first season thrives on an intriguing central character with a dark secret that constantly threatens his well-being. The whole serial killer that kills people that get away with awful things is a great premise, but while Dexter is certainly a winner, its first season doesn't scream "instant classic". It's a jumping off point that gets carried for its unique spin on TV, and its a show that doesn't apologize for its occasional grit. After years of being told to watch this show, I'm finally getting my feet wet, and I'm glad I have. Expand
  10. Jan 12, 2016
    The show is unique, different, witty, gruesome and scary. A great show to watch with your friends and fam. Very original, who thinks of a serial-killer hero.
  11. Nov 13, 2015
    So I have heard about this show for years, and in my experience it was a sleeper hit. (Sort of like Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" -- I never understood what the big deal was until I feel down the rabbithole and became a rabid fan. Same experience, very different genres lol.)

I sort of thought it would be like a superhero/vigilante thing, and I guess the premise didn't really sound that interesting to me.

But on a lark last weekend I gave it a try--I'm only in the second season now, but I have been SO impressed. Firstly, Michael Hall is brilliant. I also think Rita's type of character could have very very easily been one I found boring or annoying, but the way that actress does Rita is just spot on. I'm not sure if it is the acting, the writing, or the masterful pitch that infects every show, but they did a great job. I also really never expected the plot to be so complex or unexpected. I am not a person that gets surprised a lot--I'm usually that jerk that gives away the ending--but Dexter keeps me guessing. (With the aside that I did guess about his brother in the first season, but I think it is safe to say they foreshadowed enough that the intent was for the audience to know more than the characters in the final plot arc.)

And in the second season at least so far they went in SUCH an unexpected direction-a serial killer experience performing issues--it seems brilliant and obvious in retrospect that it would be a great angle to explore, but I certainly never would have thought of it.

If you are a skeptic like me I would seriously recommend giving it a try, it is worth it.
  12. Sep 1, 2015
    Dexter is violent, dark, and showcases an unsettling side of humanity. With the titular character narrating his own life as the story progresses, this show adds an uncomfortable sense of intimacy to the mix, which the charming Michael C. Hall only uses to his advantage. That being said, those who can buy into its deliberately brutal tone and unconventional style will find season one fascinating.
  13. Jul 3, 2015
    Dexter isn't your average hero. Quite the opposite really. He's a serial killer. However the only people he kills are criminals. Particularly the ones that have escaped justice. The show is partially about that and how he tries to hide it in everyday life. He works in forensics, maintains a relationship, and is overall pretty good at hiding his true self. The other part of the show is anDexter isn't your average hero. Quite the opposite really. He's a serial killer. However the only people he kills are criminals. Particularly the ones that have escaped justice. The show is partially about that and how he tries to hide it in everyday life. He works in forensics, maintains a relationship, and is overall pretty good at hiding his true self. The other part of the show is an involving character drama with some good cases. Dexter may be the star, but the side-characters are just as interesting.

Watching Dexter struggle with who he is and who he wants to be is incredibly compelling and the fantastic voice-over work for the characters thoughts is well-written. The character is more like normal, everyday people than even he thinks. For a man who even himself believes he doesn't have any feelings, he sure does care a lot about the people around him.

The plotting of this season is pretty great. We deal with Dexter and the rest of the police force he works with trying to catch a mysterious killer. Meanwhile Dexter's personal life gets caught up in the mix and his past starts to come forward. The incorporation of flashbacks to his teenage years and earlier help flesh out the character more. It's exciting to see how the lessons he learned back then made him who he is today. All of it is well-written and enjoyable to watch.

Given the nature of it's set-up this is a very violent show. Many might be put off by all of the blood and gore. It doesn't feel terribly excessive though. At least not in the sense that the show is just going for shock value. On the contrary, all of the kills and horror that unfold feel relevant to the plots at hand.

By far one of the most surprising aspects of this show though is the inclusion of a dark sense of humor. It adds a sense of light playfulness that keeps the show from getting too dark. Overall "Dexter" is a fantastic dark drama show. One that is only suitable for mature audiences. Regardless of the nature of it's content this is some top-notch entertainment. I highly recommend giving it a chance.

I give the first season a 9.1/10.
  14. Jun 11, 2015
    A really great first season. Based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, this season is pretty unlike the others (mostly). Dexter, being based on the interpretation of Lindsay, is more cold and authentic sociopathic. Later in the series he becomes more empathetic and remorseful for his actions and how they affect those he truly does love. Personally, I prefer that Dexter -A really great first season. Based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, this season is pretty unlike the others (mostly). Dexter, being based on the interpretation of Lindsay, is more cold and authentic sociopathic. Later in the series he becomes more empathetic and remorseful for his actions and how they affect those he truly does love. Personally, I prefer that Dexter - but this Dexter is cool too. Just different. I'm glad the direction of the show and character changed though.

Best Episode(s): Dexter/Born Free.
    Worst Episode: Return to Sender.
  15. Mar 3, 2015
    Dark, spooky, and the biggest puzzle-solving show done right with unique twists and turns that are very hard to predict!
    Michael Hall fits the "psychotic" character better than anyone else! 10/10 for him just taking the role!
  16. Feb 9, 2015
    This show started so well, seasons 1-4 were all brilliant character studies of a deranged serial killer. They had great music, a brilliantly complex protagonist/antagonist in dexter and each season had an intriguing villain that made each season fresh.
    Then we got seasons 5-8.
    Then we got seasons 5-8.
    Dexter massively overstayed its welcome, with plot lines that started up and disappeared instantly, side characters that got too much screen time and unmemorable antagonists all made the show repetitive. It lost its edge, and became more about Dexter's relationships than it did his psychopathic tendencies. As Dexter was humanised, the show became another standard show. Lessons we learnt about Dexter in seasons 1-4 were constantly repeated and the ending, my god it is terrible.
    Check out seasons 1-4, amazing, 10/10 television, after that, well, I would leave it alone.
  17. Oct 23, 2014
    Top notch show in my books... although the last season was somewhat disappointing, and the final episode SUCKED in comparison to the shows that were popular/ ending around the same time. Much love to season 4 though, so epic.
  18. Oct 13, 2014
    This series Envelopes a dark side of humanity that exists in all of us...all of us have a desire to kill to some degree, whether it be when we hypothesize about avenging a family member or any other situation that would warrant us to kill we can all relate to the "dark passenger"
  19. Oct 13, 2014
    Dexter first season is smart from the begining to the end, it suprises you and keeps you awake with it's creativity and non-predictable story, it just introduces you the great actor that Michael C. Hall is, by his face you know that Dexter is empty inside, a hollow monster that lives a lie trying to share his feeling with someone that could possibly deal with his truth without wanting toDexter first season is smart from the begining to the end, it suprises you and keeps you awake with it's creativity and non-predictable story, it just introduces you the great actor that Michael C. Hall is, by his face you know that Dexter is empty inside, a hollow monster that lives a lie trying to share his feeling with someone that could possibly deal with his truth without wanting to kill him, Dexter is my new favorite one. Expand
  20. Sep 4, 2014
    It is mind captivating, and has a wonderful twist in each individual season. The seasons decline in terms of being well thought out, but even with that, it is still one of the best shows to have been ever made. Period. You are pulled in with a killer plot (pun) and a very well acted cast. You couldnt ask for a better, and well rounded show...
  21. Aug 2, 2014
    Season 1 was from the beginning till the end was my favorite season of all TV-series ever. The plot about the killer was characterized very detailed and the perfomance of the actors was breathtaking good.
  22. Jul 9, 2014
    I just started watching Dexter on Netflix and find it to be quite captivating. I like that it can be of suspense/thriller but still involve comedy. It is a good show and I shall continue to watch it.
  23. Jun 4, 2014
    The first was truly the best. Season 1 was Dexter at his darkest, a chilling monster with a demented moral code. It also ends perfectly, unlike all the seasons which followed it. Great television. If you're new to the series I would even go so far as to suggest you treat Dexter as a miniseries and only watch this season. (if not, at least stop after season 4.)
  24. Mar 28, 2014
    I didn't start watching this show until after it had ended. I never thought I would of liked it, but after watching the very first episode I was hooked. I finished all 8 seasons in about a week and I have to say this show was one of my all time favorites. The character of Dexter is absolutely excellent, and is portrayed exceptionally well by Michael C. Hall. It is a bit dark and I supposeI didn't start watching this show until after it had ended. I never thought I would of liked it, but after watching the very first episode I was hooked. I finished all 8 seasons in about a week and I have to say this show was one of my all time favorites. The character of Dexter is absolutely excellent, and is portrayed exceptionally well by Michael C. Hall. It is a bit dark and I suppose it falls under the genre of Crime Drama, but more than anything else is about the struggles of someone with a mental illness.

What I liked most about this show though is that it didn't follow the normal cliche character montages. Dexter's awkward sensibility and deranged perception really make the show what it is. Towards the later seasons things get a bit weird and there are a few episodes where it seems like the story is falling apart and hanging by a thread, but in the end it always redeems itself. Cinematography is also well done, and there is a great cast of actors.
  25. Mar 26, 2014
    Excellent first season - I read the books and this is definitely superlative to the source material - I'm sure even the author would agree... don't you?
  26. Feb 6, 2014
    Just watched the first season on Netflix. Hall's acting and the writing for his character, the dialog/monologue I mean, are brilliant. Some of the plot twists are a little far fetched, even if you accept the basic (highly unlikely) premise. Like Rudy/Brian was really able to scuba dive, find and bring up one of Dexter's victims? And I understand some people's discomfort with shows likeJust watched the first season on Netflix. Hall's acting and the writing for his character, the dialog/monologue I mean, are brilliant. Some of the plot twists are a little far fetched, even if you accept the basic (highly unlikely) premise. Like Rudy/Brian was really able to scuba dive, find and bring up one of Dexter's victims? And I understand some people's discomfort with shows like this pushing the envelope and perhaps desensitizing the audience. But it doesn't really help that problem if I don't watch it on Netflix, and I'm too old to desensitize! Expand
  27. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is by far one of, if not, favorite shoes ever. I was upset it ended at season eight. Very unique and interesting. It took me till this year (2014) to watch them. Once I started I continued to watch until I seen all episodes. I would even watch episodes during work. I would encourage those that put the show together to continue with the series and or make a movie. However, Great job guys on the work. Expand
  28. Jan 26, 2014
    No way to give a 10 after the last 8th awful season. It destroyed the myth of one of the best screenplays ever. The last episode then was the apotheosis of absurd. I can't describe all the incongruity in it. In few words: how to ruine a wonderful serie in one step. Crazy absurd awful... can't find other adjectives.
  29. Jan 21, 2014
    Dexter is one of those shows that will make you wonder about the people around you, a fantastic show. You will watch it non-stop guarantee that for sure.
  30. Jan 15, 2014
    From start to finish, this show has it all. It has a villain, a hero, and a victim just like most other shows, although what sets 'Dexter' apart is that all three of these characteristics can be found in Dexter himself. It draws you in and immediately makes you feel sympathy for him as well as adoration for the work that he does. Truly a great show.

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The morals of this provocative show are as intriguing as its cases.
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Michael Endelman
    Though his cliche hard-boiled voice-over doesn't work, much of this series... does. [29 Sep 2006, p.73]
  3. Dexter treats extreme violence much in the same way that GoodFellas did: as something horrifying, intoxicating, seductive and thrilling, all at the same time.