• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 10, 2014
7.4

1. Feb 16, 2014
    The pilot episode of Enlisted featured some laughs and great casting. This being a late night comedy, I was expecting tasteless and dumb humour. The reality is that this show has a surprising amount of heart and is respectful to the military and its men. This meaning no homosexual army jokes -- thank god, since that dead horse has been beaten way too many times.

Ultimately though, the

Ultimately though, the pilot's reliance on its genre's tropes weighs it down. If Enlisted wants to be great, we have to see something new in the future.

UPDATE: This show isn't doing anything new or interesting.... at all. After being optimistic about the coming episodes, I learned that this seems to be an unambitious, run-of-the-mill comedy. It's not an awful show, but it's definitely mediocre.
  2. Jan 12, 2014
    I guess if I HAD to watch a network comedy about soldiers, I wouldn't complete mind watching this one. FOX's Enlisted is a light comedy about soldiers and brothers and other sentimental/relatable stuff. It has a huge heart, but that's about it. There are some laughs, but the hit-to-miss ratio is a little uncomfortable (soldiers train while chanting Bradley Cooper's name - what were theyI guess if I HAD to watch a network comedy about soldiers, I wouldn't complete mind watching this one. FOX's Enlisted is a light comedy about soldiers and brothers and other sentimental/relatable stuff. It has a huge heart, but that's about it. There are some laughs, but the hit-to-miss ratio is a little uncomfortable (soldiers train while chanting Bradley Cooper's name - what were they thinking?). The only truly entertaining character in the show is Parker Young's feebleminded but loyal younger brother. However, what the show suffers from the most is a lack of motivation. There is no straightforward storyline. No, "what will happen next?" The first episode feels like a tank stuck in a rut. The engines are running and the wheels are turning, but the show simply isn't going anywhere. If the show says anything, it's that FOX is willing to turn around its comedic image from abrasive (Family Guy) and awkward (New Girl) to something more heartfelt and compassionate.

FINAL SCORE: 55 (fine ----------o---------- a neat watch)

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    Enlisted is not groundbreaking comedy, but it's dependable and heartfelt--and sometimes that's all you need in your foxhole.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jan 27, 2014
    With its rugged leads displaying a light comic touch, the series has a fresh appeal. [3 Feb 2014, p.44]
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Dawidziak
    Jan 10, 2014
    If it's time for a new military comedy, this is a good one. It marches to the beat of its own dumb drum.