Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.1

1. Feb 27, 2013
    Based on the book and movie of the same name Friday Night Lights tells the story of the Dillon Panthers, a high school football team in a small Texan town where very little else of consequence takes place. With local radio stations dissecting every game in detail and virtually everyone in town taking an interest team members are treated like celebrities whilst new coach, Eric Taylor, findsBased on the book and movie of the same name Friday Night Lights tells the story of the Dillon Panthers, a high school football team in a small Texan town where very little else of consequence takes place. With local radio stations dissecting every game in detail and virtually everyone in town taking an interest team members are treated like celebrities whilst new coach, Eric Taylor, finds himself under pressure everywhere he goes.

Truth be told many of the storylines aren’t particularly original but the showrunners infuse proceedings with such a sense of realism and intensity that few other drama series can match that this isn’t really an issue. The excellent writing would of course would be nothing without some great performances whether it be from more experienced cast members, such as Kyle Chandler as coach Taylor and his wife played by Connie Britton, or younger stars, such as Zach Gilford as the initially shy Matt Saracen, who suddenly finds himself thrust into the limelight. Importantly the football scenes are also very well shot. Again this helps to maintain a sense of realism to the point where it is sometimes hard to believe you are not actually just watching a real game. All in all Friday Night Lights first season would rank amongst the best of any drama series and, whether or not you know anything about American Football, it is certainly worth a watch.
  2. Oct 13, 2016
    For five seasons, Friday Night Lights was the number one teen drama on television and I have yet to find a single person who didn't love this show. It's impossible to imagine that a show centered around a football team could be so successful, when TV shows centered around sports almost never succeed on television. Looking back, I can't find a single TV drama that was centered around aFor five seasons, Friday Night Lights was the number one teen drama on television and I have yet to find a single person who didn't love this show. It's impossible to imagine that a show centered around a football team could be so successful, when TV shows centered around sports almost never succeed on television. Looking back, I can't find a single TV drama that was centered around a sports team that lasted longer, so why was Friday Night Lights so successful? The answer is quite simple.

While the show was centered around the Dillon Panther football team, football wasn't the end all and be all of the show, it made up a quarter of the series. The other parts focused on the town of Dillon, the Taylor family, and the lives of the players. It's this mix that left something for everything. As a sports fan, I loved the football angle to the show and thought that Coach Taylor was on of the most realistic portrayals of a coach that I have ever seen. For the ladies, there is plenty of romance and teen drama involved with the show, surrounding the players, the high school, and the Taylor's young daughter. As for the adults, there is the family values aspect, as the Taylor's truly care and don't just take care of the students they are entrusted with, but they take an interest in helping the entire town that they are a part of.

The story lines run deep and the character development is as good as you will ever find in any television show. In binging five seasons of this show, I felt as though I knew some of these characters as if they were members of my own family.

As for the stars of the show, Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton had amazing chemistry, which they used to play off each other and the result is that neither of them have ever been better than this. The Taylor's were career defining roles for both actors and they aren't the only ones. This show also launched the careers of Taylor Kitsch, Jesse Plemmons, and Zach Gilford, all of whom have gone on to some very successful roles following Friday Night Lights.

If you're thinking that this show is just some MTV teen drama or a show about football, you couldn't be more wrong. This is one of the best depictions of life in small town Texas, Southern youth culture, and the struggles associated with life in a small town that you will ever find. I highly recommend this show for it's drama, it's exciting action, but most important of all for it's amazingly accurate portrayals and lessons associated with real life in small town America.
  3. Mar 29, 2013
    Friday Night Lights is one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. From the amazing chemistry, to the kind of show that just touches your heart. It's one of my favorite shows in quite a while.
  4. Aug 3, 2014
    Poignant writing, authentic directing, seamless producing, gorgeous acting, and realism & inspiration are all of the ingredients that make FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS one of the most beautifully executed shows in the history of Television.
  5. Aug 7, 2013
    An absolutely amazing series. I was put off initially by the football theme, but in essence this is just the backdrop to everything else going on. The entire cast are superb, but it is Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton that shine. Britton in particular should be an A list actress of the cinema with her stunning looks. Her performance is full of nuances and she is totally believable in everyAn absolutely amazing series. I was put off initially by the football theme, but in essence this is just the backdrop to everything else going on. The entire cast are superb, but it is Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton that shine. Britton in particular should be an A list actress of the cinema with her stunning looks. Her performance is full of nuances and she is totally believable in every scene. The shows writers are to be commended for the great restraint they show with their characters, and at times the show is extremely moving without being overly sentimental or mawkish. In its entirety (5 seasons) this has to rank as one of the greatest tv shows ever made. Expand
  6. Aug 9, 2016
    A bit too focused on high-school and real life drama, Friday Night Lights plays out like a football inspired soap opera. Hell that's probably the point of it. Great show that tugs at the heart, creates excitement in the fictional games, and paces itself nicely. I found myself binge watching, which is rare for me.

If you liked the movie, you're going to at least enjoy the first season.

If you liked the movie, you're going to at least enjoy the first season. It has a lot of parallels. The second season is notoriously weak, but stick with it, it's a great show.
  7. Aug 17, 2010
    Without a doubt, Friday Night Lights is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The story is so well done and realistic that it makes you feel as if all these characters are real people who you could actually visit if you went to this small town in Texas. I highly recommend Friday Night Lights for anybody who is a fan of good TV.
  8. Oct 30, 2012
    Damn this show is tight. I am not really into the whole football culture that they have down there in Texas but that's not really the point of the show. Most of the characters are quite complex and what they have to go through feels very real. I don't remember seeing a show that painted rehab and the consequences of a serious injury like this before. It just felt right. I would definitelyDamn this show is tight. I am not really into the whole football culture that they have down there in Texas but that's not really the point of the show. Most of the characters are quite complex and what they have to go through feels very real. I don't remember seeing a show that painted rehab and the consequences of a serious injury like this before. It just felt right. I would definitely recommend it since it's nearly flawless. Expand
  9. Aug 16, 2013
    This was the worst 2 minutes of my life. I saw the worst acting ever, even I could do better than that. Also it's about jockeys and people who were retarded about football, it was just stupid. This has a score that was 9.1 too high. horrible.
  10. Feb 28, 2016
    It takes you whenever it wants you to go. From the characters and diolgue that seems more real and fleshed out than real life, to the way they all play off each other in this setting. Nearly flawless experience
  11. Jul 5, 2012
    A must watch for thoughtful people-----The most gloriously honest, compelling, intelligent show I've ever seen on network TV, and maybe beyond. It's poignantly scripted, unnervingly well acted (UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY. Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton are two of the best performers I've ever seen.), and gorgeously shot. I want to scream from the mountain tops about this show. ...REALA must watch for thoughtful people-----The most gloriously honest, compelling, intelligent show I've ever seen on network TV, and maybe beyond. It's poignantly scripted, unnervingly well acted (UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY. Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton are two of the best performers I've ever seen.), and gorgeously shot. I want to scream from the mountain tops about this show. ...REAL ART on TV... I didn't know it was possible before FNL. Expand
  12. May 28, 2013
    I loved this series. From one of THE best pilots ever written for television to the much deserved Emmy award winning series finale, Friday Night Lights is show that has a lot of heart and it is not about football.

It's about being a fly on the wall in the fictitious town of Dillon, Texas. And while the town is absolutely football crazy, it is about adversity and friendship and loyalty and a town that has to come together after a tragedy. The coming of age stories are told through the prism of high school football. The coach and his guidance counselor wife are the parents we all wish we could have. They have what has been described as 'the best marriage on television,' in that it is a true partnership. This rock solid marriage anchors the show and allows for teenage angst and turmoil to storm all around them and yet the drama is resolved and does not veer out of control.

There is a famous 2nd season storyline that is highly criticized, but in fairness to the show occurred during a long writers strike and a shortened season when the show was cancelled by NBC and luckily picked up by DirectTV. While on NBC, the show was moved around and not allowed to pick up a core audience.

Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton are stellar as Mr. and Mrs. Coach. And the younger stars: Adrienne Palicki, Scott Porter, Zach Gilford, Taylor Kitsch, Gaius Charles, Jesse Plemmons, Michael B. Jordan, Jurnee Smollett, and Matt Lauria are outstanding. You will see these talented actors in other roles again and again. Brad Leland, Louanne Stephens, Blue Deckert, Liz Mikel, and D.W. Moffett deserve shout-outs for their portrayals of the town's most flavorful character, as are other guest starts.

If you haven't seen the show, give it a 3 episode test and see if you don't become as hooked as I did. You won't be disappointed.

That is why the show is enjoying a much deserved 2nd life on Netflix, Amazon and DVDs.
  13. Aug 11, 2014
    I really loved this show. I had expected not to like it as much because I thought it would be primarily about high school football. But it;s rich in psychological depth through a number of characters and relationships. It's really well crafted drama.
  14. Jun 14, 2015
    Lovely show. You get engaged with the characters, understand their feelings and their actions and get involved in their daily trouble. From the start point focused on American Football, the show diverges into the character, social status, racism and other topics as progresses, maturing with the time. Even if the focus changes, the quality goes up as the seasons progress until you finishLovely show. You get engaged with the characters, understand their feelings and their actions and get involved in their daily trouble. From the start point focused on American Football, the show diverges into the character, social status, racism and other topics as progresses, maturing with the time. Even if the focus changes, the quality goes up as the seasons progress until you finish the series with the feeling of fulfilment.
    The series achieves transmitting deep emotions, while offering extremely good entertainment.
  15. MattW
    Oct 4, 2006
    I like that it is directed by the same guy who directed the movie. And they seem to use the same kind of music as well. Very well done. 10
  16. JosephW.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Smart, well-written, infinitely watchable television that feels like NBC stole a page out of HBO's playbook (excuse the bad sports analogy; but see good storying and solid acting in: all HBO shows).
  17. KayaJ
    Apr 3, 2007
    This is the most consistently beautiful and moving show on network tv. It's a stunning achievement that deserves all the praise that it receives. Bravo and thank you!
  18. BrentH.
    Jun 5, 2008
    This is the kind of show that will build in popularity as the" word of mouth" about how great it is, spreads. I bet it's already number 1 in West Texas.
  19. NathanW
    Nov 2, 2006
    I simply love the show. I don't know why, but I really like it. I would have never thought that I'd like a sports drama, but I do!
  20. ReggieW
    Oct 30, 2006
    Best show ever put on tv in my opinion.
  21. lucas
    Oct 3, 2006
    Variety Brian Lowry "Friday Night Lights" ultimately feels like one of those family programs middle America and conservatives pine for that too few of them actually bother to watch -- a portrait of decent, God-fearing folks wringing joy from America's game as an escape from their hardscrabble lives. ---- That sentiment is why "Friday Night Lights" will be a huge hit! America (middle Variety Brian Lowry "Friday Night Lights" ultimately feels like one of those family programs middle America and conservatives pine for that too few of them actually bother to watch -- a portrait of decent, God-fearing folks wringing joy from America's game as an escape from their hardscrabble lives. ---- That sentiment is why "Friday Night Lights" will be a huge hit! America (middle or otherwise) is sick of crap TV!! Perhaps a program featuring scantily clad teens murdering one another in a reality show setting starring Paris Hilton is more to his liking! Expand
  22. BlancoA.
    Oct 4, 2006
    The first episode was a little slow for my taste. After the movie, and "Two-A-Days" on MTV, it feels like this is well-worn territory. I hope they go down some original paths.
  23. BrianT
    Oct 4, 2006
    Lots of potential, very good acting and I love the docudrama camera style the show uses.
  24. CameronS
    Oct 4, 2006
    Excellent new show! Its one of the new shows that I will definately keep watching. I really like the charectorizations in the show, the acting is really good and the show is actually family-friendly which is very rare these days!
  25. David
    Oct 10, 2007
    I love High School football but I am trying to be objective here. Anyone that expects absolute realism in a TV show and rates this accordingly is missing the point of entertainment and the shows apparent weaving of real life scenarios around HS Football to entertain. I am giving it a SIX because of the over use of sex in the series. The writers seem to obsessed with proving to us that I love High School football but I am trying to be objective here. Anyone that expects absolute realism in a TV show and rates this accordingly is missing the point of entertainment and the shows apparent weaving of real life scenarios around HS Football to entertain. I am giving it a SIX because of the over use of sex in the series. The writers seem to obsessed with proving to us that teens are engaged in sex at every turn. Regardless of the truth one way or the other, we don't need that in front of us or our children. I really enjoy the football drama but hate the sex scenes and tune them out. Some have complained about the camera work, but I think they miss the point there too. The camera shots bring us to a realism that escapes most shows and I for one think they are brilliantly done in putting us right there with the actors. If it were not for the sex scenes running rampant, I would have rated this show at least a 9. Expand
  26. DallinM.
    Oct 21, 2007
    As a high school teacher and coach in Texas, all i can say is they are getting it right.
  27. TonyT
    Feb 7, 2007
    I Tivo this show every week. It has to be the stupidest written show on TV. It is so unrealistic. It's been 35 years since high school but I doubt if it's anything like what is portrayed on this show.
  28. BillD
    Apr 7, 2007
    Definitely one of the best shows on television over the past few years. I can't believe how low it's ratings are. It's better than anything on right now. Get it out of the Idol time slot. The writing, acting, music, everything is just off the charts.. Incredible show.
  29. AnaA.
    Feb 7, 2008
    i love this show its the greatest i hope they don't cancel it. I'm not the only one who feels this way.
  30. MeatG
    Mar 15, 2009
    From the opening theme to the closing credits this show twists my emotions with such a skillful blend of hope and despair that by the end I have lost track of what I am supposed to feel and am instead riding along with the triumphs and defeats of these incredibly real characters.

1. The biggest and most pleasant surprise of the season.
    Surprisingly wise and moving.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Has the same quick-cut look, crisp dialogue and bone-crunching game scenes [ast the movie].