From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.0

1. Apr 16, 2014
    Its both like and completely unlike the movie. I saw the film as a kid, and enjoyed it for a guilty pleasure. The series is something I am proud to enjoy. Its kept the thrilling breakneck pace that makes me hold my breath, waiting to see what comes next. But it grew past that annoying Tarantino "ooh, its so shocking" style. I LOVE this. I love the inventive use of Mesoamerican myth. As aIts both like and completely unlike the movie. I saw the film as a kid, and enjoyed it for a guilty pleasure. The series is something I am proud to enjoy. Its kept the thrilling breakneck pace that makes me hold my breath, waiting to see what comes next. But it grew past that annoying Tarantino "ooh, its so shocking" style. I LOVE this. I love the inventive use of Mesoamerican myth. As a lover of mythology I am happy with the inventive way its invoked…In episode 6 I bet a few people caught Carlos' reference to Tezcatlipoca, the Aztec god also called the dark mirror. I love the reference to the Aztec myth of the two brothers who escape Hell, too. Its so fitting! Amazing research. Sadly most people just don't know enough to catch that, but then this series has something for anyone with an open mind. Expand
  2. May 21, 2014
    i love this series so much been a fan of the film since i was 9 :) and i love richie even more in the series he's crazy and lovable just want to cuddle him lol amazing cast and the series has everything i wanted to happen in the film :) cant wait for season 2
  3. Jun 11, 2014
    I am currently on episode 8 and so far the show is great, it has expanded upon everything that is in the movie and done it very well.

The casting is excellent and besides expanding upon the story and characters of the movie they are delving deeper into the supernatural elements in some interesting ways.
  4. May 5, 2014
    Great series. It has all the big dumb schlocky charm of the original movie, only expanded to fill about 10 hours worth. Rather than just padding out the runtime with filler, the show actually adds new content that fits into the existing framework without wrecking it. Dare I say, in some cases is bolsters it, for example explaining why Ritchie is a little off without resorting toGreat series. It has all the big dumb schlocky charm of the original movie, only expanded to fill about 10 hours worth. Rather than just padding out the runtime with filler, the show actually adds new content that fits into the existing framework without wrecking it. Dare I say, in some cases is bolsters it, for example explaining why Ritchie is a little off without resorting to "because he's crazy, duh" like the film did.

The casting for the various parts is actually pretty well done. While nobody can be George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino except Clooney and Tarantino, the Seth and Ritchie in this series are different enough that you don't really miss them past the end of the first episode. D.J. Cotrona's Seth is a dashing rogue that sits a little closer to the rogue side than Clooney's turn as the character, while Zane Holtz's Ritchie leaves you simultaneously afraid of and feeling sympathetic for him.

If you're looking for a 1:1 recreation of the movie, this isn't if. If you're looking for an updated re-interpretation of the material that still hits all the same key points while adding a few new ones, you will be pretty damn happy.
  5. May 23, 2014
    Well i've seen a lot of negative mentions about the series, and mostly they were from fans of original film.
    Okay i watched original film when i was kid and i liked it. But let's be honest, the original film was pretty stupid and i can't call it a serious film, it was just a trash horror with a touch of humor.
    And now look into the series, it's well conceived. There are a really
    And now look into the series, it's well conceived. There are a really structured setting, characters with history and smooth storyline. So you can't simply compare series with film or vice versa, because these two products represents two completely different genres.
    I liked the series, it's interesting, it looks like something familiar but still new. And hey, it's a fresh vision on the vampire stuff, among all of current TV-shows about the bloodsuckers =)
  6. Feb 13, 2016
    This is well made diligently following the movie events but with a twist. Keeps you wanting to watch the next episode. I've not seen season 2 yet which moves the story out of the movie events but so far its good to watch.
  7. Feb 24, 2016
    Rarely does a movie derived show come along where the deviation takes a more entertaining path. Jessie Garcia outshines every role until this show, where he portrays Freddie Garcia, there is believable conviction, spot on. Eiza Gonzalez, this is the first time I've ever seen her acting, honestly, not that bad. Zane Holtz plays it perfectly suited in the Richard Gecko role, precise andRarely does a movie derived show come along where the deviation takes a more entertaining path. Jessie Garcia outshines every role until this show, where he portrays Freddie Garcia, there is believable conviction, spot on. Eiza Gonzalez, this is the first time I've ever seen her acting, honestly, not that bad. Zane Holtz plays it perfectly suited in the Richard Gecko role, precise and haunting. In the midrange you have Jake Busey who is has, to some extent made Gary proud. Quite possibly strongest role worth watching for is Wilmer Walderrama, he shows enormous potential as an actor, I was quite pleasantly surprised. Weakest role, D.J Cotrona, he seemed more like a tertiary character for the most part.

I like the fact that the writing, production and execution has not been wasted in going over the top, there are some moments where in typical Rodriguez style, there's a moment shown to remind you that this is a TV show, however, it never seems to take much away from the overall presentation. The slow paced moments do seems a little longer compared to other shows, however enduring these scenes you will find some humorous moments.
  8. Apr 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 9 out of 10 i have to see what the second season does with the story, since season one is the expansion of the film. But man oh man what a great show that this is. big surprises with the acting of Richie, wow he is amazing like a cross of Cillian Murphy crossed with Michael Shannon, and Fez from that 70's show is so hammy and amusing. Robert Patrick outshines Harvey Kitel. its fun and intriguing with the expansion of the mythos how these vamps are like snakes with scales cobra fangs instead of the usual pointy teeth. and seth does his very subtle George Clooney inspired performance, with head bobs and shakes, inflections and tone. i'm very surprised by the show and cant wait for more, it has to be better then the direct to video movie sequels. Expand
  9. Apr 14, 2014
    Come on people, i think this is more structured than the film, anyway many people compare the film to the series, i thinks is a good job, more dark and much a deep history.
  10. May 13, 2014
    I think the series is amazing, a lot of differences between the movie (which was more fun) and the series. I'm waiting to see the end of the first season and i'm sure the second is going to be even more interesting. Good job.
  11. Mar 22, 2014
    Antes que nada, no he visto la película y creo que mas que nada es por eso que el piloto me pareció totalmente genialmente, porque la mayoría de los que le dan criticas desfavorables es porque comparan con el film.
    Espero que el resto de la temporada se mantenga tan entretenido como fue el piloto.
  12. May 21, 2014
    At first, with the hallucinations and such, I was not sure if I wanted to keep watching, But by the 4th episode I was hooked. These people attempting to critique the series based on the first couple episodes don't have anything going for them. A well thought-out series with the only downside being the wait for the next season!
  13. May 1, 2014
    I truly like this show, it has its own version of the movie. The actors are good and I love Eiza Gonzales. If anything they need to add a little sex into it. Other than that. Thumbs up!!
  14. Aug 24, 2014
    A different spin on the first movie. It's got a more serious tone and provides some interesting twists on characters and events from the first film. While I felt the movie was more of a turn your brain off and enjoy the carnage and craziness, the show has got a little more going on. The plot is deeper and there's an overall theme that something more sinister is going on in the background.A different spin on the first movie. It's got a more serious tone and provides some interesting twists on characters and events from the first film. While I felt the movie was more of a turn your brain off and enjoy the carnage and craziness, the show has got a little more going on. The plot is deeper and there's an overall theme that something more sinister is going on in the background.

Much like the movie the vampires don't show up until the second half. Also much like in the movie the show takes on a different feel and tone, although here it's not quite as noticeable. The show can feel like it's being stretched out a little too much at times. Like the writer/writers are trying hard to take one plot element and try to fill the episodes running time with it. It can lead to a feeling like there just isn't enough content in the movie to make for a show, even with the new inclusions. Speaking of new inclusions it feels like the new character played by Jesse Garcia was created only to help fill the void. Unfortunately I feel his character and plot-lines fall short.

So this first season gets a little rocky at times, but overall it's still a lot of fun. Fans of the movie should enjoy this new take on the material, and those who found the movie a little too goofy for their tastes should enjoy the more serious tone. The show does get better as it progresses, and the ending hints at greater things to come in season 2. As it stand now it's an enjoyable first season, and I give it a 7.8/10.
  15. Aug 21, 2015
    The acting is not always good and the CGI effects are sometimes horrible but this series is interesting, gory and really entertaining.No it's not a big carnage with a lot of blood like the movie and some fans of the original movie might be disappointed but it's still a great TV show.
  16. Sep 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It resembles the original movie in many ways and also un-resembles the movie in many ways, for example the vampires are snake vampires and have venom in their fangs,instead of vampires I refer to them as snakepires, I've watched episode 1-7 so far and the snakepires seem to tolerate sunlight pretty well, except one of the main snakepires played by actor Wilmer Valderrama from that 70's show wears a pair of gloves or a hat when he is out in direct sunlight, also after drinking blood he can take the forms of various people morphing into them. I also enjoyed seeing actor Jake Busey who is the son of Actor Gary Busey in this TV series, Jake plays a professor and goes undercover as "sex machine" at the bar and has a loaded gun for his private parts playing off of the character "sex machine" from the original movie played by actor Tom Savini, Jake Busey also stared in the movie starship troopers (1997) so it was interesting see Jake in this movie ! The Tv series also takes the madness of Richard Gecko further than the movie did, in the TV series it turns out to be snakepire queen Santanico Pandemonium playing on Richards enter thoughts and driving him to the brink of madness with various hallucinations ! Also actor Don Johnson pays a visit to the Tv series playing the character Earl McGraw who is a Texas ranger, of course the TV series as fun as it is, is not as good as the original movie, it does have some cheese to it, but over all I must say I'm enjoying the series thus far ! Expand
  17. May 30, 2015
    "From Dusk Till Dawn" was a 1996 movie starring George Clooney, Quentin Tarantino (who also wrote the movie), and Juliette Lewis. The basic premise is the Gecko brothers go on a crime spree and end up south of the border in some VERY unexpected consequences.

Season 1 of TV show (also directed by Robert Robert Rodriguez) follows the same path as the movie and then continues elsewhere. A season 2 is also in the works. It originally aired on the El Rey channel (which I dont get) and then went to Netflix.

Visually the show is beautiful. There were also some standout actors including Wilmer Valderrama as Carlos Madrigal and Eiza Gonzalez as Santánico Pandemonium. Don Johnson and Robert Patrick also make appearances.

I wont give away any more of the plot since the big reveal is what's so much fun. Dont expect to completely follow the story. It's not important. We're here for fight scenes, frightening hallucinations, and fun eye candy. If you like your horror with a side of camp, this is a series for you.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Mar 11, 2014
    It's probably enough to say that if you like this sort of thing, this is just the sort of thing you'll like. (If the tautology fits, wear it.) Rodriguez knows how this machine works as well as anyone alive. Whether such sensationalist kicks are good for us "as a people," or indeed as people in particular, is a question the culture and its guardians and gadflies have been batting around for years. A decision is not due any time soon.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Mar 11, 2014
    Fans of the film will devour the TV series, and nonfans might give it a shot. Just be forewarned that it’s not “Blue Bloods.” It’s more like cold blood.
  3. Reviewed by: Sonia Saraiya
    Mar 11, 2014
    The original film’s strengths are washed out in this version, which is instead mining it for televisual drama.