• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 17, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
9.2

1. Mar 4, 2013
    Although ignorant of the original literature, GoT proves godly in all stages of production. Never in the history of shows have I witnessed such a plethora of character portrayals and development. How many shows have the capacity to allow you to truly feel for both sides; in a word, how many shows have the capacity for such emotional investment?
  2. Mar 13, 2013
    Turning a set of epic fantasy novels as complex as George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series was always going to be a daunting task that could easily have ended in disaster. Fortunately the creators of Game of Thrones have not only lived up to expectations but excelled them. Featuring multiple story lines, each packed with numerous important characters, most viewersTurning a set of epic fantasy novels as complex as George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series was always going to be a daunting task that could easily have ended in disaster. Fortunately the creators of Game of Thrones have not only lived up to expectations but excelled them. Featuring multiple story lines, each packed with numerous important characters, most viewers who haven’t read the novels will find the opening few episodes tough to follow (I know I certainly did!) but stick with the show and you will be rewarded. Featuring a fantastic cast including the likes of Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey Game of Thrones biggest achievement is in maintaining a narrative pace that keeps you engaged even during long scenes of dialogue, of which there are a lot. All of it always feels as though it is required though with much explanation needed to lay out the geography of the seven kingdoms, as well as the various families and dynasties that are fighting for control of this world. In amongst all the explanation there is plenty of, sometimes unnecessary, sex and violence but unlike many shows it is usually there to advance the plot and the ten episodes set things up perfectly for what is sure to be an epic second season.

Throwing all the established television rules out the window Game of Thrones is the best original series in a long time. If you haven’t yet watched it ignore those short sighted critics as this is a must buy.
  3. Mar 13, 2013
    Yes, this is my favourite TVShow, and i have seen a lot of seriues such as Lost, Breaking Bad, White Collar, Greys Anatomy and many others, but still this is my favourite one. No i have not read the books but my cosuin have told me that´s the same thing. I love Game of Thrones becauseof it´s story, the scenarios, the actors, the visual effects. I mean this series has everything anyoneYes, this is my favourite TVShow, and i have seen a lot of seriues such as Lost, Breaking Bad, White Collar, Greys Anatomy and many others, but still this is my favourite one. No i have not read the books but my cosuin have told me that´s the same thing. I love Game of Thrones becauseof it´s story, the scenarios, the actors, the visual effects. I mean this series has everything anyone could lovo of any Tv Show. The story at first is a little bit strange and you may not get anything but after at leas t5 episodes of the first season you know very good the story and how is it going. And if you relate with a specific charachter it may be killed, yes in this tvshow many main character got killed but i thik this makes the series more special, it´s completly different to other shows when the main character never gets killed. The custome its another thing that makes game of thones very special, its absolutly awesome and perfect, again, even more than other series such as lost or NCIS. I can´t simply wait for more of this series. Expand
  4. Mar 20, 2013
    I don't care much for TV shows. This is the only show I've been genuinely excited for in a very long time. There are a lot of characters and names to remember, but I can't think of a single character from the show that is boring or dull. I didn't think a TV show could have so many character that are all so interesting.
  5. Mar 23, 2013
    This show is great. Way easier to follow than the books, which i find to be long winded and confusing; though i am sure there is a great story buried in all those pages, the TV show cuts off the fat!
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    Amazing show. In the middle of all the mediocre television shows being produced in recent years Game of Thrones is an exception and a must watch. The show is filled with action, and fast-paced (in my opinion, when compared to other shows I've seen recently such as the Walking Dead).
  7. Jul 14, 2013
    Fantastic show, it has wonderful character development, and a sense of moral ambiguity in relation to every character on the show. This is quite good because, you can decide who your hero or "protagonist" is, it's a world that is utterly and completely gray as opposed to the black and white that is portrayed on the vast majority of television programs. This is a thinking man's epic.
  8. Apr 30, 2014
    One of the best medieval, fantasy stories I have experienced since Lord of the Rings. It's compelling world is filled with interesting and well-acted characters. The plot-lines here are fantastic and sets up season 2 for what looks like some big battles up ahead. This is a show that isn't afraid to shock you. It will kill off big characters to help further the plot in believable ways.One of the best medieval, fantasy stories I have experienced since Lord of the Rings. It's compelling world is filled with interesting and well-acted characters. The plot-lines here are fantastic and sets up season 2 for what looks like some big battles up ahead. This is a show that isn't afraid to shock you. It will kill off big characters to help further the plot in believable ways. Honestly it's one of the best shows that HBO has ever aired. Well, at least this first season is.

The only real complaint I have here is the excessive amount of nudity. Now I know HBO shows are known for their gratuitous nudity, and often that is one of the biggest appeals of their shows, but here the majority of it just feels out of place. Now I like naked women as much as the next guy, but often it can come across as an immature move for a show that prides itself on it's mature story and world. Nudity has worked for shows like Starz's Spartacus series, but here it often doesn't.

Overall though that complaint means nothing when faced with the epic story-lines and backstabbing characters that are so entertaining to watch unfold. It's an absolutely riveting first season, and season 2 looks like it has the promise to top it. I give season 1 a near-perfect score of 9.9/10.
  9. Aug 30, 2017
    Unlike the rest of the series, I really loved Season 1 of Game of Thrones. I am a huge fan of the books, and I am actually able to watch Season 1 fully immersed. Outstanding cast, bravo to Mark Addey, Sean Bean, Jason Mamoa, and Harry Lloyd's contribution to the season. While seasons 6-7 move closer and closer to endless action and pure excitement, they lack the down to earth, seriousUnlike the rest of the series, I really loved Season 1 of Game of Thrones. I am a huge fan of the books, and I am actually able to watch Season 1 fully immersed. Outstanding cast, bravo to Mark Addey, Sean Bean, Jason Mamoa, and Harry Lloyd's contribution to the season. While seasons 6-7 move closer and closer to endless action and pure excitement, they lack the down to earth, serious backbone that made all of this matter in the first place. Expand
  10. Apr 24, 2011
    You have to give HBO credit for not only attempting to put this on the screen but also remaining faithful to the source material. Although I think "The White Walkers" sequence could have been handled better and that the Khal Drogo parts were a bit too stylized for my taste (They should have been dirtier and more brutish), overall HBO has done an amazing job. I'm looking forward toYou have to give HBO credit for not only attempting to put this on the screen but also remaining faithful to the source material. Although I think "The White Walkers" sequence could have been handled better and that the Khal Drogo parts were a bit too stylized for my taste (They should have been dirtier and more brutish), overall HBO has done an amazing job. I'm looking forward to watching it all unfold and seeing (as well as reading, if he ever decides to finish the book series) how it ends. Expand
  11. Apr 22, 2011
    So far, so good--honestly, it's a relief. The showrunners have really translated the books well (with both the book's strengths and weaknesses) and aside from a few casting decisions, I'm beyond satisfied so far. Hopefully i can say the same after this first season ends!
  12. Apr 23, 2011
    Awesome show! Never read the the books but know someone who has and said it's pretty accurate so far.
    Has that Gladiator Lord of the rings feel to it. A must watch if your a fan of the two movies!
  13. Apr 27, 2011
    It is very rare that an adaptation can live up to the images we keep in our heads from a book. Often I hear "the book was better". Occasionally I hear "the adaptation was better". This is quite literally the first time I've seen an adaptation that is simultaneously not the story I imagine from the book and yet still hits every note I think the story should have had. Extra scenes feel likeIt is very rare that an adaptation can live up to the images we keep in our heads from a book. Often I hear "the book was better". Occasionally I hear "the adaptation was better". This is quite literally the first time I've seen an adaptation that is simultaneously not the story I imagine from the book and yet still hits every note I think the story should have had. Extra scenes feel like added bonus material. Cut scenes feel like bonus information for book readers. Performances are fantastic. Sets are gorgeous. The music is awesome. Even the opening title sequence is inspired. Is it for non readers? I can't judge that, the biggest problem for them is avoiding spoilers on the net. All that said. This is a politics and power piece. This won't bring in the action fans, but it will have elements interesting to fans of horror, thrillers, suspense, mystery, historicals, and preludes to war. Those who demand shows adhere to their particular belief systems will also find many elements of the show distasteful. There is sex, violence, and squick, but they all serve the plot or symbolism rather than just be placed to titillate. If shots of pumping blood, disembowlment, or unpleasant sex so engross your mind that you can't pick up the quality of the rest of the performances, this show won't be for you. It's for people who like to eat steaks from sacred cows.

I find complaints about stereotypes in this show hilarious. One can't show people bucking a stereotype without setting them up as one to begin with, and one can't show people bucking an oppressive system without having that oppressive system to begin with.
  14. Apr 27, 2011
    The relationships of the book are well realized and the telling of
    much with subtle and nuanced performances all adds up to an intriguing
    show. As a personal preference I might have liked a slight toning down of the nudity but it's no major detraction and to be fair it is in good keeping with the source material. Importantly wherever there is vulgarity the acting is good enough to justify
    The relationships of the book are well realized and the telling of
    much with subtle and nuanced performances all adds up to an intriguing
    show.

As a personal preference I might have liked a slight toning down of
    the nudity but it's no major detraction and to be fair it is in good
    keeping with the source material. Importantly wherever there is
    vulgarity the acting is good enough to justify it by virtue of sheer
    personality.

The entire cast feels well chosen, particular favorites so far that
    have caught my attention by their emotionally loaded portrayals are
    Arya and Tyrion, but also John, Rob and Eddard which bodes well for
    the series at large since they are all such major characters.

The dire wolves and the medieval vistas are presented with a haunting
    level of authenticity that captures the imagination and stays grounded
    all at once.

The ill hid contempt of the Queen for her dwarf brother and the
    protectiveness of family both amongst the Starks and their rivals are
    portrayed easily and captivatingly. It's also what lays a solid
    foundation for the action.

Motivations, loyalties, ambitions, passions and embitterments are done
    pleasing justice with a script that suits the tone and atmosphere of
    a chaotic and embattled medieval society with teeth of corruption and
    claws of bravery, the series gives its own enhanced perspective and
    for as long as everyone is fighting out of their own hearts all is
    well in the lands of Westeros.
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Attempting to create A Song of Fire and Ice into a successful television show was an impossible task for two reasons. Not only is it an adaptation of a novel, but it's an adaptation of a -fantasy- novel. As the creators of Legend of the Seeker or almost every high fantasy film ever can tell you, it's incredibly difficult to attract an audience to the genre. However, as tends to be the caseAttempting to create A Song of Fire and Ice into a successful television show was an impossible task for two reasons. Not only is it an adaptation of a novel, but it's an adaptation of a -fantasy- novel. As the creators of Legend of the Seeker or almost every high fantasy film ever can tell you, it's incredibly difficult to attract an audience to the genre. However, as tends to be the case with HBO, the creators have managed to pull it off. Breathtaking scenery brings Westeros to life in ways I never could have imagined. The characters, perfectly cast, are just as endearing, charming, and terrifyingly deceptive as they are in the novels. This truly is the "Lord of the Rings" of television, and a perfect placeholder for whatever portion of your heart misses Peter Jackson's epic trilogy. Expand
  16. Apr 20, 2011
    Game of Thrones achieved something I didn't think was possible. It managed to capture the essence of the books, but in such an amazing way that even someone who hasn't read the books is able to follow the story.
    One thing I especially loved was the way they made show's intro a piece of an explanatory process. It shows you the world and the places the story is taking place so that you can have an idea of where exactly the characters are located.
    Being a huge fan of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series I'm extremely glad show lived up to all my expectations and I'm anxiously awaiting the upcoming episodes and am also extremely glad it already got renewed for the second season!
  17. Apr 23, 2011
    Well plotted and paced; excellent, has taken the fantasy genre to another level. Excellent masterpiece. I should also say that if this show is a commercial failure, or even a commercial mediocrity, I will never forgive society.
  18. Apr 22, 2011
    An extremely well-executed show. While deviating only a small amount from the books by George R.R. Martin, the series is able to make Westeros and Martin's universe seem more complicated and, paradoxically, more accessible at the same time. Excellent acting from the massive ensemble cast is impressive, and Peter Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in particular deserve praise for reallyAn extremely well-executed show. While deviating only a small amount from the books by George R.R. Martin, the series is able to make Westeros and Martin's universe seem more complicated and, paradoxically, more accessible at the same time. Excellent acting from the massive ensemble cast is impressive, and Peter Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in particular deserve praise for really making their characters come alive. Beautiful scenery and sets, and excellent costume design are simply icing on the cake. The show is not perfect. It receives low points in Special Effects (the dead wildlings at the beginning looked like they were made by B-Movie horror movie fans) , and the size of the case and similar appearance of many related characters makes keeping track of all the characters, especially the the Older Starks, Theon Greyjoy, etc. difficult. Expand
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply stunning for a tv series. The costumes and scenery are spot on and really give the sense of gritty reality that permeates the show. While not exactly like the book, it is very close and it is obvious George the pirate (George Arr Arr Martin) has had a guiding hand in the production. It is great to live in a time where fantasy can finally be brought to the screen in all its glory.Simply stunning for a tv series. The costumes and scenery are spot on and really give the sense of gritty reality that permeates the show. While not exactly like the book, it is very close and it is obvious George the pirate (George Arr Arr Martin) has had a guiding hand in the production. It is great to live in a time where fantasy can finally be brought to the screen in all its glory. I pity the small minded individuals without any imagination that think the fantasy genre is just for kids. This series is going to be truly magnificent and we can only hope they will continue production with the second book once this is completed (which might actually make him finish writing the series finally) Expand
  20. Apr 23, 2011
    When I first heard of Game of Thrones, I was intrigued. I started reading the first book in the series and I love it. I say something on Gameinformer that said something like "Not as many noobs as Aseroth, ans not as eno as Middle-Earth." I think that quote fits perfectly. For anyone who enjoys fantasy, this should be a must watch.
  21. Apr 23, 2011
    I really enjoyed the entire episode. I am happy to finally have a show that reminds me of D&D and doesn't look like a $2 production or a kids show. The town was realistic looking and the characters behaved as I would expect them to in the dark ages. The way the episode started I thought wtf. I was on the edge of my seat awaiting a great sword battle. It didn't come but the White Skins madeI really enjoyed the entire episode. I am happy to finally have a show that reminds me of D&D and doesn't look like a $2 production or a kids show. The town was realistic looking and the characters behaved as I would expect them to in the dark ages. The way the episode started I thought wtf. I was on the edge of my seat awaiting a great sword battle. It didn't come but the White Skins made the scene just as exciting. I have never read the books and I'm not sure if I will. Thanks HBO for creating a show that us original D&D players and DL Chronicle readers can enjoy. Expand
  22. Apr 24, 2011
    Pace was always going to be difficult when trying to introduce this many characters, but under the circumstances they did a good job, its only going to get quicker from here. Really enjoyed the first episode.
  23. Apr 22, 2011
    Game of Thrones is the TV adaption from the books of George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire. Where television adaptions usually fail, Game of Thrones succeeds. The characters, cast, scenery, costume, etc., all looked incredible and had the feeling I was really a apart of this world. Although not every little detail was translated perfectly from the books, and some scenes I would haveGame of Thrones is the TV adaption from the books of George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire. Where television adaptions usually fail, Game of Thrones succeeds. The characters, cast, scenery, costume, etc., all looked incredible and had the feeling I was really a apart of this world. Although not every little detail was translated perfectly from the books, and some scenes I would have like to have seen were missing, the pilot episode was still grand achievement in setting down the main story.

The first episode tries it's best to set down this complex storyline. Some people might feel a little lost, or uncomfortable with this new world at first. You also have to keep in mind that this story is an adult story, and as I said, it is complex. For those who have never read the books and found the pilot interesting, trust me it gets better and better with each episode. Stick with it, and you'll get to witness one of the best stories ever told!
  24. Apr 23, 2011
    This review is a response to the review by marquis_de_vaux .

This review is a response to the review by marquis_de_vaux .

The pilot cover the first 7 chapters of the book and when I was at that point in the book, the story felt very "typical fantasy" to me, as well. After the pilot, the standard tropes of fantasy begin to be subverted and the story begins to differentiate itself from "traditional fantasy". The story at this point is very rushed and it is a shame that HBO only gave them 10 episodes when 12 would have let them taken a slower pace to tell the story. I think a 2 hours pilot would have given the producers room to tell the story in a less hurried way. Also, the dwarf in the TV show is not a member of a race of diminutive people, but an actual human suffering from dwarfism. There are no Elves, Dwarfs or Orcs as depicted in LOTR.
  25. Apr 21, 2011
    A brilliant adaptation of George R. R. Martin's fantasy masterpiece. The book's cast of hundreds has been necessarily reduced to a cast of dozens, but this series will satisfy both devotees and newbies. The cast is excellent (particularly Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister Sean Bean as Eddard Stark), the sets and camera work are stellar, and the whole production brings a breath of freshA brilliant adaptation of George R. R. Martin's fantasy masterpiece. The book's cast of hundreds has been necessarily reduced to a cast of dozens, but this series will satisfy both devotees and newbies. The cast is excellent (particularly Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister Sean Bean as Eddard Stark), the sets and camera work are stellar, and the whole production brings a breath of fresh air to a stale genre. Expand
  26. Jun 22, 2011
    Only HBO could make a show like Game of Thrones, and make it excellent.

I have not read a single page of George R.R. Martin's series of books. Considering the quality of story on the small screen, I may just hold out and wait to see HBO's (apparently very faithful) adaptation. This first season is fascinating. It has to create a fantasy world, for those who have read and not read (such
    Only HBO could make a show like Game of Thrones, and make it excellent.

This first season is fascinating. It has to create a fantasy world, for those who have read and not read (such as myself), that actually feels real. Through its course, it achieves this by building characters, relationships, and strong underlying themes, with the quality of production that is exclusive to HBO. To keep this brief, what makes this even more compelling: the first season is, essentially, prologue. It breaks the rules of television without being pretentious; it all builds layers that matter. I cannot wait for season 2 and beyond. Perhaps the wait alone will make me reconsider my decision not to read the books.
  27. Apr 18, 2011
    I can only comment on the first episode, but if this was a sign of what's to come, I will definitely be tuning in for the rest of the series. Great acting by the entire cast and quality of set design and costumes are through the roof. I can't wait to see more of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion.

Having read the novels, my only detraction would be they squeezed far too much plot in the first episode... the pacing seemed too frenetic and, really, the content should have been broken up across two episodes. There were some elements missing in terms of character development, and some plot pieces subtly altered for effect, but all in all, it seems to be true to the core of the novel. The only other ding is they are definitely leaving hints that Jaime Lannister has a more sypathetic side and is not as dastardly as superficially apparent -- something that does not come out in the novels until much, much later.
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic! I'm an avid reader of the books and, while scenes have been added, dialogue changed and other things altered, this adaptation, so far, remains very faithful.

The episode opens dramatically and closes even more dramatically, finishing with one of my favourite lines of the entire Song of Ice and Fire series of books. The CGI in places was a little off (for example when Bran is

The CGI in places was a little off (for example when Bran is clambering around the towers of Winterfell) but, on the whole, it's very well produced.

Overall, a fantastic start to what I hope will be the best season of television ever!
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    Deep, noir, more alternatively historical then traditionally fantasy tv-show. Acting is just brilliant. Especially young Arja and Tyrion are exact match. Great job HBO!
  30. Apr 25, 2011
    Magnificent, Game of Thrones is by far the best series I have seen to this day. Each episode so far has been packed with a rich and intriguing story that keeps you glued start to end, the only downsider is having to wait another week to watch the next episode ! For any of the uninitiated, I highly recommend the series but don't go into the show thinking of classical goblins, dragons etcMagnificent, Game of Thrones is by far the best series I have seen to this day. Each episode so far has been packed with a rich and intriguing story that keeps you glued start to end, the only downsider is having to wait another week to watch the next episode ! For any of the uninitiated, I highly recommend the series but don't go into the show thinking of classical goblins, dragons etc throw those used notions away and allow the series to absorb your interest you won't regret it.

My only regret is that I haven't read any of George R R Martins novels yet.
  31. Apr 26, 2011
    From all apects i found the show a breath of fresh air, with is no holds barred approach and decent acting i really look forward to its progression and seeing how it can continue to push the envolope and hopefully make the other networks work to have some shows that arent do it yourself renovation, cooking, celebrity crap, talk shows or the how hum CSI/COP/oh its a mystery that will go noFrom all apects i found the show a breath of fresh air, with is no holds barred approach and decent acting i really look forward to its progression and seeing how it can continue to push the envolope and hopefully make the other networks work to have some shows that arent do it yourself renovation, cooking, celebrity crap, talk shows or the how hum CSI/COP/oh its a mystery that will go no where show, such as LOST.

Well done keep the season moving.
  32. May 4, 2011
    A Game of Thrones asks the question: "What if the War of the Roses was fought not by two families, but over half a dozen? The show does justice to the extremely popular book series that it's based on. HBO has done a fine job of recreating the much loved characters, as well as the various sub-plots that they're involved in. While at the time of this review the different layers of conflictA Game of Thrones asks the question: "What if the War of the Roses was fought not by two families, but over half a dozen? The show does justice to the extremely popular book series that it's based on. HBO has done a fine job of recreating the much loved characters, as well as the various sub-plots that they're involved in. While at the time of this review the different layers of conflict haven't fully emerged, the stage is being well set for the chess game that is coming, with different characters as the pieces.

My only real concern is the level of back story new audiences are being asked to take in; the solution of which HBO is addressing through their Game of Thrones website which provides a great deal of explanation. This is a good solution to the commonly used tactic of having characters discuss back story that the involved characters are fully aware of.

HBO has also done a great job at finding ways to reduce costs while putting together a fine story; I only mention this because many fans are afraid of the show being cut due to costs. We can only hope that interest will remain high as this is a show that far surpasses the plethora of mind numbing sitcoms that are so popular amongst audiences today.
  33. May 9, 2011
    I have never read the book that this is based upon(Song of Ice and Fire I believe). But I will now. This is probably one of the best television series that I have ever watched. There is no sugar coating for the kiddies but a realistic portrayal of a dark gritty fantasy world complete with Shakespearean dramatics. The visuals and cinematography are some of the best I have seen for thisI have never read the book that this is based upon(Song of Ice and Fire I believe). But I will now. This is probably one of the best television series that I have ever watched. There is no sugar coating for the kiddies but a realistic portrayal of a dark gritty fantasy world complete with Shakespearean dramatics. The visuals and cinematography are some of the best I have seen for this genre. The acting is superb and draws the viewer into this realm like no other. If I could go higher than 10/10 I would. Expand
  34. May 16, 2011
    I've never cared much for fantasy, In fact I'll go as far to say that a lot of the time, I giggle at fantasy geeks, and their fantasy gibberish (oooh, a fancy gold ring that needs to be tossed into a volcano; oooh, a magical world with... dragons?) Granted, I have next to no knowledge when it comes to fantasy, but I love this show. The characters are so polished, and the worlds are soI've never cared much for fantasy, In fact I'll go as far to say that a lot of the time, I giggle at fantasy geeks, and their fantasy gibberish (oooh, a fancy gold ring that needs to be tossed into a volcano; oooh, a magical world with... dragons?) Granted, I have next to no knowledge when it comes to fantasy, but I love this show. The characters are so polished, and the worlds are so intensely immersing, that believing in a world of make believe becomes effortless. Almost as believable of major news networks, maybe even more so... *clears throat*. So bring on the dragons and the magic, I'm so heavily invested in the story that I'll believe it still even if at some point aliens are introduced. Okay, maybe not, so lets keep Mr. Spielberg away from this. Expand
  35. May 19, 2011
    Started with a bang and follows through perfectly. HBO has done the books a great justice. Not too over the top with adult subjects but just enough to pull you into it. The vast amount of background and lead-up knowledge the books provide isn't as much needed as you straight away get an idea of what characters are like. In a make-or-break genre this has come out roaring. We want more!
  36. Jun 5, 2011
    I came into Game of Thrones without knowing anything about it or the books behind it. I only heard about the series from the guys at machinima.com. I'm glad now I bothered to look it up as I have never enjoyed or watched a series quite like this. Each episode is more intense then the last and will leave you swearing at your TV when it finishes, it's no surprise that the series as earnedI came into Game of Thrones without knowing anything about it or the books behind it. I only heard about the series from the guys at machinima.com. I'm glad now I bothered to look it up as I have never enjoyed or watched a series quite like this. Each episode is more intense then the last and will leave you swearing at your TV when it finishes, it's no surprise that the series as earned the nick name "Game of Holy F#cks". Do yourself a favor and check it out... there's boobs ;) Expand
  37. Jun 19, 2011
    Recently, after repeatedly bullying and trolling the site winter is coming, the poster known as the smiling knight was banned from the site. As a retaliation, TSK decided to post here many reviews, and in all of them give the score 0. Check out his reviews. They are all written in the same tone, and all the user names he used have only that single review to them. He also takes care toRecently, after repeatedly bullying and trolling the site winter is coming, the poster known as the smiling knight was banned from the site. As a retaliation, TSK decided to post here many reviews, and in all of them give the score 0. Check out his reviews. They are all written in the same tone, and all the user names he used have only that single review to them. He also takes care to mention winter is coming, so the active members will understand that was an act of revenge. What a douche.

Don't mind him. This show is one of the best thing you can watch on television nowadays.
  38. Jun 19, 2011
    I've read the book and I can say the television stays true to the book. It is amazing how the producers were able to portray the geographical locations in the introduction, the myriad of unique and interesting characters, and combine the separate point of views of characters in a cohesive tapestry. The subtle details whether from facial expressions or the lifestyle of characters provide aI've read the book and I can say the television stays true to the book. It is amazing how the producers were able to portray the geographical locations in the introduction, the myriad of unique and interesting characters, and combine the separate point of views of characters in a cohesive tapestry. The subtle details whether from facial expressions or the lifestyle of characters provide a deeper understanding of George R.R's world. I give this a ten because I could not think of any better fantasy show with mature content and some ounce of realism Expand
  39. Jul 30, 2011
    I was slightly skeptical about this show's ability to realise anything as ambitious as Martin's vast fantasy world on a TV budget, however large. Yet here it is: every penny spent with wit and panache. The week of waiting between episodes became almost physically painful. Yes, there's quite a bit of nudity (I haven't heard so much prudish wailing in years) but sex sells and there's a greatI was slightly skeptical about this show's ability to realise anything as ambitious as Martin's vast fantasy world on a TV budget, however large. Yet here it is: every penny spent with wit and panache. The week of waiting between episodes became almost physically painful. Yes, there's quite a bit of nudity (I haven't heard so much prudish wailing in years) but sex sells and there's a great deal of exploitative and cruel sexuality in the books. The script is tight and gripping, the sets astonishing, the acting of the highest level (with every part filled by some RADA luminary like Julian Glover or Aiden Gillan). The children are to be singled out for praise; both Arya and Bran are wonderful, and Joffrey is possibly the most loathesome person under 18 ever to appear on film or TV (Draco Malfoy is an angel by comparison with this little serpent). And Peter Dinkage. Lovely Peter Dinkage as the louche, drawling, smirking, boozing, wenching, witty, shifty, ironic, scheming and fundamentally decent Tyrion Lannister. If everyone else wasn't so excellent, I'd miss him the moment he disappears from the screen. Thankfully, the show shares that amazing quality that the books have; every story thread is as gripping and enchanting as the next. BACK to King's Landing. BACK to the Wall. Back to Winterfell. BACK to Pentos. The reader and now the viewer just keeps gettign fed course after course of the swiftest, gutsiest political fantasy I've ever seen. The tital sequence alone is enough to give me gooseflesh now. In my opinion, TV just got better than the movies. Expand
  40. Apr 21, 2011
    A great adaptation of the books. They changed just enough to make it a good tv experience, keeping the spirit of the books. The first chapters will be a bit slow, but it will only get better as all the characters are introducted, and the exposition isn't as needed for the non-readers.
  41. Apr 23, 2011
    Fantastic series with extraordinarily high production values. The show does a sterling job in introducing some of the very large cast and making emotional connections early on. The story is fantastic and I cannot wait to see what the show has in store. This blows everything currently on television out of the water.
  42. Apr 25, 2011
    I will state from the beginning, I am a fan of the original book series. I went into the premiere having never seen an HBO show before, and I will admit, my expectations were low. To be able to condense all of the information from the book into a television series seemed like an impossible feat, but after watching the pilot I am confident that they can do it. The production quality wasI will state from the beginning, I am a fan of the original book series. I went into the premiere having never seen an HBO show before, and I will admit, my expectations were low. To be able to condense all of the information from the book into a television series seemed like an impossible feat, but after watching the pilot I am confident that they can do it. The production quality was astounding, the casting unbelievable, and altogether I believe this is a fantastic start to something greater. The action is convincing enough to keep viewers entertained, the subject material different enough to pull in people who haven't read the books, and the series as a whole is faithful enough to keep those who have read the series happy. It started strong and I am confident that it will stay that way. Expand
  43. May 13, 2011
    I have never read the books, so I thought I might get lost initially - my fears were unfounded however, this show is building something great that's equally brilliant in pace of story and character development.

Every episode gives more insight into the large character pool which is comparable to the excellent 'The Wire'. The depth of the various groups and individuals in Westeros blows me away more each week, and you get glimpses of what each focal character's potential has in store for them... I can only imagine how great this show is for readers of the books.... I really can't say enough about the quality and class of spectacle on show here - 10/10 with a big red cherry on top!
  44. May 17, 2011
    This show is just amazing. It features one of the best put together cast in recent times. Most of the actors are unknown; but boy can they act! Especially the young actors (Arya and Bran for example), they do a terrific job of playing their roles.
    As the show goes on you sympathize with their characters, you feel what they are going through. The show is full of deceit, backstabbing, violence, outstanding dialogues, intriguing characters and much more. I would even go as far as putting this show up with the likes of The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood and the Shield. It's by far one of the best shows in recent times.

Of course this show won't appeal to everyone. If you're not into the genre then there's a chance you will not enjoy all other amazing aspects of Game of Thrones.

A special note should go to the performances of Ned Stark (Sean Bean) and Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage). Especially the Imp :). He plays his character with so much wit and style that he even outclasses Sean Bean. He's by far the best actor in this series.
    He owns every scene he is in.

There is however one thing that I dislike about the show and that's King Robert (Mark Addy). I'm sorry but he's the weakest link here.
    Other than that, there's not much to dislike about Game of Thrones.
    I'm always a little sad that I have to wait another week for the next episode! haha.

oh and I like this show so much that I even went ahead and ordered the books :)
  45. May 8, 2011
    Long story short. This show is really good. If your looking for a typical fantasy with orcs, dragons and wizards along with sensless violence then game of thrones isn't for you. Overall great characters and great story! I strongly recommend this to anyone who doesnt watch desperate housewives.
  46. May 8, 2011
    If your somewhat a fan of fantasy stories and games, whats not to like? Really enjoy the story thus-far and I only hear from people who have read the book that it only gets far better. Really excited to see how the season will pan out!
  47. May 10, 2011
    Condensing GRRM's HUGE books into a doable HBO series, while also providing enough time for character development was a daunting task to say the least, but so far the characters are shining and I'm extremely impressed and excited. Well done, HBO. So very excited for this show!
  48. May 15, 2011
    Epic, amazing - hadn't read the books so I went out and bought them all. Making my way through the first one now and there are a few differences - mainly that they have cut some characters, which I guess makes sense as there is a load to remember in the book. I'm wondering now whether I should continue to read past where the show is up to - I think I will, from what I heard it only adds toEpic, amazing - hadn't read the books so I went out and bought them all. Making my way through the first one now and there are a few differences - mainly that they have cut some characters, which I guess makes sense as there is a load to remember in the book. I'm wondering now whether I should continue to read past where the show is up to - I think I will, from what I heard it only adds to the value. This is how fantasy should be done on TV. Expand
  49. May 26, 2011
    Simply amongst the best TV I've ever watched. In one word, Epic. The story, the characters, the drama, the darkness, this show has it all. It might be fantasy which is not to everyones tastes but the world of Westeros is so real and believable. The fact that a lot of this was shot in Northern Ireland makes me so proud. I must point out how dark this is however and my shock some people, forSimply amongst the best TV I've ever watched. In one word, Epic. The story, the characters, the drama, the darkness, this show has it all. It might be fantasy which is not to everyones tastes but the world of Westeros is so real and believable. The fact that a lot of this was shot in Northern Ireland makes me so proud. I must point out how dark this is however and my shock some people, for me that's a good thing. It makes Lord Of The Rings feel like its for kids. Real must watch TV. Expand
  50. May 27, 2011
    This is most definitely the best fantasy show of late. When looking at the user Score of 9.0 it is clear that the show is receiving fantastic feedback from a wide verity of viewers. I for one agree with the positive feedback i have seen here. Well done. TV show quality reaching better and better highs. Congratulations in order for producers & such :)
  51. Jun 1, 2011
    I love this show, it is intriguing, provocative, entertaining, and enjoyable. It's production is on a massive scale that one has to appreciate. It's also just fun to watch. The story has many subplots that tie into one another that most people should want to watch through to the end.
  52. Jun 28, 2011
    I have read the books and I have seen the show. I am here to report good news, that the show is good. The actors are good. The story is good. The sets are good. HMmm. Well, it's good, there you have it. It's not just a show for fantasy fans, also for normal people. I liked it and I am a girl. HBO is so great. I want to buy Game of Thrones on DVD and Blu-Ray. And T-Shirts. Also people whoI have read the books and I have seen the show. I am here to report good news, that the show is good. The actors are good. The story is good. The sets are good. HMmm. Well, it's good, there you have it. It's not just a show for fantasy fans, also for normal people. I liked it and I am a girl. HBO is so great. I want to buy Game of Thrones on DVD and Blu-Ray. And T-Shirts. Also people who didn't like it are trolls, you should ignore them. Expand
  53. Apr 27, 2011
    The first episode did not live up to my expectations. I was worried. Then I got to thinking, most of my favorite HBO shows had somewhat rough premier episodes, especially compared with the later episodes once the series had hit its stride. It's easy to try to compare this against great shows like The Sopranos, but it's not a fair comparison. You'd be comparing the pilot episode againstThe first episode did not live up to my expectations. I was worried. Then I got to thinking, most of my favorite HBO shows had somewhat rough premier episodes, especially compared with the later episodes once the series had hit its stride. It's easy to try to compare this against great shows like The Sopranos, but it's not a fair comparison. You'd be comparing the pilot episode against all of your memories of an entire series of great television.

My worries vanished after the 2nd episode. It was great and really set the direction for the series. Now I see the first episode as "the meet and greet" -- getting to know the setting and the characters. In Episode 2, the series really began for me.

My chief complaint is the british accents. I understand that stereotypically, fantasy characters tend to have british accents, but I still don't like it. The author (George RR Martin) isn't british. In my head when I read the books no one had a british accent. I just find it distracting and I think the show would have reached a wider audience without the accents.

In conclusion, I hope everyone realizes that one or two episodes really is too early to accurately rate a TV show, particularly one of this scope. How it develops over the rest of the season will determine its success. To me, it looks like it's heading in the right direction.
  54. May 18, 2011
    Well Acted, scripted and directed. The story is Engaging and enthralling , this show has renewed my faith in television as an entertaining medium after years of being subjected to waves of drab mediocrity
  55. May 22, 2011
    I saw this in a magazine and because it was fantasy, I wasn't really bothered. I took the time to watch it and was amazed by the amount of effort HBO put in. It is as good as, if not better then Band of Brothers, the characters and their actors are amazing and it has a great story. I wouldn't recommend this to children though, its not like Lord of the Rings in any way and is much darkerI saw this in a magazine and because it was fantasy, I wasn't really bothered. I took the time to watch it and was amazed by the amount of effort HBO put in. It is as good as, if not better then Band of Brothers, the characters and their actors are amazing and it has a great story. I wouldn't recommend this to children though, its not like Lord of the Rings in any way and is much darker and grittier. The best TV series I have ever seen, truly outstanding work. Expand
  56. Sep 16, 2011
    I had never even heard of G.R.R.M before HBO brought out the teasers, but boy am I glad I got educated. I absolutely loved Season 1 Game of Thrones. The characters, twists, turns, backstabbing, maneuvering, sex, battles, comedy, mystery, mystique, guts & glory. It's everything I ever wanted in a show, and everything I expect from HBO's quality programming. These guys know how to pick andI had never even heard of G.R.R.M before HBO brought out the teasers, but boy am I glad I got educated. I absolutely loved Season 1 Game of Thrones. The characters, twists, turns, backstabbing, maneuvering, sex, battles, comedy, mystery, mystique, guts & glory. It's everything I ever wanted in a show, and everything I expect from HBO's quality programming. These guys know how to pick and create winners. As much as I would like to go out and start reading Martins books, there is no way in hell I'm going to ruin this ride with spoilers. Until the curtains close on this outstanding series, I'll be content in my ignorance having never read a single page, all the while tuning in weekly to see what happens. HBO.... I'm pickin up what you're puttin down. Expand
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have not seen any of the series. However, I have read and am a big fan of the books. So believe me when I say if the series is ANYTHING like the books, then get ready for lots and lots of graphic nasty cruelty and violence, rape, and incest. One of the main character relationships in the books is incestuous. That being said, it's a tough pill to swallow but doesn't detract from Martin's amazing ability to storytell, and in a dozen different places at the same time... and THEN effectively tie them together. He has an uncanny knack to mix politics and military strategy to get everything to make sense and have a purpose. Again... if the series is half anything like the books, then this series is definitely worth a look. Expand
  58. Apr 22, 2011
    needed more monsters and less nudity how can I make that at least 150 characters long? ok it also needed less incest and more actual politics strategy and fighting. and maybe a real plot
  59. May 15, 2011
    Through the first 5 episodes, I have watched A Game Of Thrones unfold much as the source material had done. Thus far, I have agreed with few of the alterations but much of the casting and abridgement. These of course are subjective, as is any criticism. For instance, I noticed early on that nearly every actor appears older than the characters in the book, and I liked this. In such aThrough the first 5 episodes, I have watched A Game Of Thrones unfold much as the source material had done. Thus far, I have agreed with few of the alterations but much of the casting and abridgement. These of course are subjective, as is any criticism. For instance, I noticed early on that nearly every actor appears older than the characters in the book, and I liked this. In such a setting, people would weather and age more quickly than they do in the here and now. Overall, the show has done well capturing the brutal, bare-knuckled style of George RR Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series.

There are those complaining of the nudity, the language, and the male-dominated society, and I wonder at their expectations. The show faithfully translates what a crude and barbaric world the source material describes. Of course, it is based on the European-style medieval times, which were very much like the books and the show. If you tuned into a World War Two movie/show, you should expect to see some awful violence.

More of the criticisms that (to me) seem reactionary and not well examined are those unsatisfied with how the shows compare to the critics' preconceptions of fantasy. Some deride the show for not having enough "proper" fantasy elements, while others feel it is indistinguishable from other fantasy. Interestingly, much of this is based on the first episode. Perhaps both groups might wait before summarily dismissing the project as unsatisfactory?

Fans of the books will probably be satisfied. People who haven't read the source material will probably discover (over time) that this series plumbs depths usually unseen in the genre. Thus far, I see much to like and a little to quibble with.
  60. Jun 2, 2011
    Really nice series so far; brilliant and entertaining and without compromises - should you compare it to the book. Also it's becoming clear this thing will rock your world even more as the second season starts off! I'm sure the show will grow up to be COLOSSAL in the best ways possible!
  61. May 22, 2011
    I haven't read the G.R.R. Martin books yet, but I definitely will now after watching the five episodes released so far. Excellent acting, engaging characters, darkly intriguing story, beautiful locations and sets with a somber gothic atmosphere. The soundtrack also does an awesome job of complimenting the tone without being a distraction. All in all awesome production values. I willI haven't read the G.R.R. Martin books yet, but I definitely will now after watching the five episodes released so far. Excellent acting, engaging characters, darkly intriguing story, beautiful locations and sets with a somber gothic atmosphere. The soundtrack also does an awesome job of complimenting the tone without being a distraction. All in all awesome production values. I will be buying the entire collection on dvd when it comes out. Expand
  62. May 22, 2011
    I loved the books, and at first I thought the show wasn't living up to its potential.

By the second episode I was hooked though, and it just gets better each episode. Even if I do remember what is coming the show still amazes.
  63. May 24, 2011
    Having seen six episodes so far, and being a huge fan of the books, I can happily say that this is the best fantasy series ever to appear on television, as well as a very faithful and excellent adaptation of the books. The acting is top notch, with stand-out performances by Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. My personal favorite among the cast is MaisieHaving seen six episodes so far, and being a huge fan of the books, I can happily say that this is the best fantasy series ever to appear on television, as well as a very faithful and excellent adaptation of the books. The acting is top notch, with stand-out performances by Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. My personal favorite among the cast is Maisie Williams as Arya Stark. The sets, costumes, and locations they use are all well designed and compliment the story. The music is good enough, but the only memorable tune I've heard so far is the opening theme (which is fantastic). If you go into Game of Thrones expecting typical fantasy fair (such as monsters and wizards) you will find a much different and 'realistic' take on a fantasy setting. Instead of spells and goblins you will find a gritty, politically charged world filled with intrigue and numerous compelling characters. This is a show everyone must see, regardless of whether or not you like fantasy. So far this is the best new TV show of the year, and as long as the next episodes and seasons remain high quality, it will be one of the best shows ever created. Expand
  64. May 25, 2011
    My initial reaction was 'meh'. After 2 and a bit episodes, I'm totally sold on GoT and am helplessly gripped after 6. This is the finest fantasy since Lord of the Rings to make its way onto film. Excellent.
  65. Jun 1, 2011
    Always been a casual fan of great fantasy literature - LOTR, Forgotten Realms, and even the occasional Dragonlance; GoT stands among them as one of the best, both in book and television form. Great characters, political intrigue and a hint of fantasy make for one epic story indeed. I'm glad I jumped on this series right away.
  66. Jun 6, 2011
    Excellent. The characters are rich, the plot twists and turns nicely. It's good to see something with the political intrigue and sophistication of some of the weightier HBO stuff nicely mixed in with some sword fighting and battles.... One of it's key strengths is building character and giving it all a palpable sense of danger. Plus, all the decent northerners speak with proper northernExcellent. The characters are rich, the plot twists and turns nicely. It's good to see something with the political intrigue and sophistication of some of the weightier HBO stuff nicely mixed in with some sword fighting and battles.... One of it's key strengths is building character and giving it all a palpable sense of danger. Plus, all the decent northerners speak with proper northern England accents like me! A BD purchase too I reckon... Expand
  67. Jun 20, 2011
    Having just watched ep 10, I truly feel this series gets it just right. Acting, production values, plot, intrigue are all in line with the feel and tone of the books. It has been over a decade since I started reading them and watching the series brought all of the major plot points right back as if I had just laid the books down. While the 9th ep is the best of the season, the last oneHaving just watched ep 10, I truly feel this series gets it just right. Acting, production values, plot, intrigue are all in line with the feel and tone of the books. It has been over a decade since I started reading them and watching the series brought all of the major plot points right back as if I had just laid the books down. While the 9th ep is the best of the season, the last one has set up the second season well and I can't wait for next spring. I just hope they plan more than 10 episodes! Expand
  68. Jul 18, 2011
    One of the best TV dramas made in years. Excellent characters, great suspense, the only thing that pushes it from 10 to 9 is the obvious lack of a proper budget for the first season. Hopefully the second season will ride on the success of the first one and become truly great :)
  69. Oct 2, 2011
    Easily one of the best series ever created!!! The critics who don't give this show at least 90% should not be critics because they suck!!!Awesome awesome series!!!
  70. Dec 27, 2011
    I haven't read the books (yet), but this series really intrigued me. Plot, characters and their development are all top notch. Best fantasy show I ever watched...
  71. Jun 5, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic. The acting is great, the scenery is great and the atmosphere created is absolutely amazing. It is backed up by a deep plot-line that will have you thinking for a long time. Just can't wait to see the next episode after watching one.
  72. Jun 9, 2012
    Game of Thrones is fantastic and a premium HBO triumph. The series drowns in its lore, in a good way, so that when each episode is over you'll be crying for more. From the stellar cast, the gorgeous imagery, to the fantastic soundtrack and the clinching story Game of Thrones triumphs in every possible way imaginable. Highly Recommended for Lord Of The Rings and Skyrim fans!
  73. Apr 27, 2013
    Many of the early critical reviews have just dismissed this as a TV version of 'The Lord of the Rings'. I feel that is extremely unfair analysis of the show. Game of thrones is by far one of the best programmes on TV now, next to Breaking Bad. One of the brilliant aspects of the show is even though it is filled with magic and fantasy creatures, at its heart it is a thrilling political drama.
  74. Apr 20, 2011
    The first episode started VERY slowly, but it absolutely picked up, and it teased some really interesting conflicts to be explored in coming episodes. At one point, though, I figured I had accidentally recorded the porn parody Game of Thrones: Doggy Style. I initially featured it might be tough to follow the various storylines, but like The Wire, I'm willing to let some of it develop inThe first episode started VERY slowly, but it absolutely picked up, and it teased some really interesting conflicts to be explored in coming episodes. At one point, though, I figured I had accidentally recorded the porn parody Game of Thrones: Doggy Style. I initially featured it might be tough to follow the various storylines, but like The Wire, I'm willing to let some of it develop in a deconstructed fashion as we go. This "7" may well jump up a point or two by mid-season, I suspect. Expand
  75. Jun 24, 2011
    Game of Thrones is a fun fantasy adventure series. It is similar in tone and substance to HBO series like Deadwood, the Wire, and the Sopranos. There are good people, bad people, people who simply will take advantage of circumstances, and so on. In other words, you have the whole broad collection of personalities. The set design, costumes, and special effects are all excellent. TheGame of Thrones is a fun fantasy adventure series. It is similar in tone and substance to HBO series like Deadwood, the Wire, and the Sopranos. There are good people, bad people, people who simply will take advantage of circumstances, and so on. In other words, you have the whole broad collection of personalities. The set design, costumes, and special effects are all excellent. The story arc is not overly complex, but it also isn't overly simplistic. You have a competition and jockeying for power among various noble families. Like with Julius Caesar, or the Prince, you can't say any of the nobles is purely good. But, the morality of the good ones is more follows a code, whereas that of the bad ones follows their own ambition. This show is vastly superior to awful "Madmen", simply because people are more realistic. They are not all egoistic individualists out of some crazy book like "The Fountainhead", instead they display the complex human emotion familiar to us all. It also has roles for both old and very young actors, and a real decent role for a midget rather than simply using him as a prop. Like the Wire it appreciates the aspects of minor characters. The reward for the audience is a fully realized world, that is much more organic and authentic than you would think possible. Considering it is made up world that is quite an achievement. While it is escapist fantasy, like any good drama it takes elements from real life. For example, there is a huge environmental danger looming in the series, a kind of ice age like winter lasting for at least a decade. Global warming is bringing just such a danger to our door in the coming years. Expand
  76. Dec 10, 2012
    Quite possibly the best TV series on at the moment, and in TV history. Both seasons 1 and 2 have incredible acting, genius scripting, a tight and exciting story, the spectacular and ridiculously complex and realistic fantasy world of George RR Martin, is brought to life almost perfectly. It has basically a Hollywood movie's production value and spot on directing.

What more can I say? I

What more can I say? I recommend it to all over the age of 15, as long as you can take some sex and blood, and complex politics. You will be drawn completely in and then taken on the roller-coaster of your life. Watch it!
  77. Apr 30, 2011
    This is a brilliant transition from book to film thus far. I have never seen a movie or TV series follow the book so well. The high production value and great casting just adds to the immersion. It would be best to watch the whole season one episode after another to get the full effect, And now with HBOGO available we can do it on our iphones/ipads! Can't wait to see how they handle 3This is a brilliant transition from book to film thus far. I have never seen a movie or TV series follow the book so well. The high production value and great casting just adds to the immersion. It would be best to watch the whole season one episode after another to get the full effect, And now with HBOGO available we can do it on our iphones/ipads! Can't wait to see how they handle 3 very interesting characters that appear at the very end of the first book! Expand
  78. May 12, 2011
    Great series, only started reading the books after seeing the first episode, my only complaint, is it can sometimes be liberal with certain background stories ie changing what characters said and what character said what, but i understand some things have to be changed to fit the medium, hopefully they can keep it up to its current standard.
  79. May 25, 2011
    Great show so far, but very in-depth, and kind of tricky to follow with all the families and angles. Have not read the books yet, but do recommend watching the show
  80. Jun 1, 2011
    I've seen the first seven episodes of Game of Thrones and I can safely say that it's the most entertaining series on television at the moment. Nudity aside, GoT is well constructed - from the sets/atmosphere, to the costumes/cast, it's a beautiful piece of television. I have not read the books so I cannot attest to how well the show parallels them, but I've wholly enjoyed watching. TheI've seen the first seven episodes of Game of Thrones and I can safely say that it's the most entertaining series on television at the moment. Nudity aside, GoT is well constructed - from the sets/atmosphere, to the costumes/cast, it's a beautiful piece of television. I have not read the books so I cannot attest to how well the show parallels them, but I've wholly enjoyed watching. The most notable (and best acted) characters are the dwarf, the dude from lord of the rings, and the little girl who wants to learn swordplay. Check this show out if you have any inclination towards medievil fantasy. It's a good one. Expand
  81. Jun 26, 2011
    This is like the best show ever, but with swords, that is what Game of Thrones is. Like, everyone is so interesting and original. The music is extremely epic. And they did it so well what with the sword and all. I watched this show and everything, and it was like the best ever. Not just the best show ever made, but it is the best show ever made, of all time. You all seriously need to readThis is like the best show ever, but with swords, that is what Game of Thrones is. Like, everyone is so interesting and original. The music is extremely epic. And they did it so well what with the sword and all. I watched this show and everything, and it was like the best ever. Not just the best show ever made, but it is the best show ever made, of all time. You all seriously need to read the books, and the comics, especially if you are willing to invest this much and even more time in the show and websites, and books--you could also invest with money not just time. Buy the t-shirts. I don't understand many of the disappointments expressed, because they are meaningless to me, but I'm telling you all this is the best show ever. The show's just getting started. Anybody under 40 years old ever read "Dune"? If you take a look at the books, they are thousands of pages there! Game of Thrones has only showed the tip of the iceberg for this book. And the book shows the tip of the iceberg of the story. The show has been very faithful to the story, the story has been faithful to the imagined events. But you will find a better understanding of events if you buy miniatures. The books will make you appreciate the show less, but at least you will know more about the story. Expand
  82. Jun 30, 2011
    Game of Thrones has the optimal mix of suspense, drama, and action. Perfectly executed screen play and brilliant writing constantly leaves you begging for more.
  83. Jul 1, 2011
    While awake, I almost soiled my pants because of the show. The chase scenes were frankly the most telling. I drinked vodka everytime Sean Bean passed gas. The show is great and you might get depressed.
  84. Jul 17, 2011
    i've never been a fan of this type of tv series or movies...but this one got me hooked pretty much in the first 3 episodes. the show didnt really waste any time for the stories to progress. its not all drama, you sense something is coming, and just when you thought the story would be somewhat predictable, it took a turn... for the better though.... it is one of the most entertaining show on tv.
  85. pkd
    Oct 30, 2011
    I have read the novels and thought they were exceptional and fabulous. With high expectations I watched the pilot and ch. 2 and was disappointed - I had this strange feeling that the actors were not immersed in their characters, as if their acting was too mechanical. But from ch. 3 on this sentiment has been replaced by a total admiration to the acting as well as the successful adaptationI have read the novels and thought they were exceptional and fabulous. With high expectations I watched the pilot and ch. 2 and was disappointed - I had this strange feeling that the actors were not immersed in their characters, as if their acting was too mechanical. But from ch. 3 on this sentiment has been replaced by a total admiration to the acting as well as the successful adaptation of the novels. King Baratheon, Ned Stark, Arya & Sansa, Tyrion and all the rest - it's such an enjoying story and even more enjoyable acting. With True Blood & Game of Thrones HBO succeeded in creating two formidable adaptations which are equal to their source in the amount of generated pleasure. It's unique. Expand
  86. Dec 20, 2011
    i am so hooked on this show it really well done, hbo has really out done its self and i hope it does well and continues to make me want to watch more. the actor{s roles have been devloping quite nicly in a way that prompts mistery.
  87. Mar 11, 2012
    I entered this unaware of George R.R. Martin or the series. I've exited a huge fan. As a middle of the road, sort-of armchair fantasy fan I wasn't sure when I first heard about this series, maybe it would be too much fantasy, too far from life. Now, maybe that's a good thing. Maybe, that's what it's meant to be, but I never like fantasy that went too far from life. Luckily for me, it's notI entered this unaware of George R.R. Martin or the series. I've exited a huge fan. As a middle of the road, sort-of armchair fantasy fan I wasn't sure when I first heard about this series, maybe it would be too much fantasy, too far from life. Now, maybe that's a good thing. Maybe, that's what it's meant to be, but I never like fantasy that went too far from life. Luckily for me, it's not like that. Luckily, it's from HBO; a network who's shows have always dealt with reality. I may be a bad fan of fantasy. I may be doing it wrong, I probably am, but if this show had been purely dragons and such things I would surely have exited the show early; disappointed. But the real-life aspects have kept me enthralled, kept me relating to certain characters. It isn't up to The Wire in levels of realism, but it's the closest a show like this could get. Great acting, great writing and exactly what I wanted. Thanks George for writing, thanks HBO for adapting. Expand
  88. Nov 9, 2012
    Game of Thrones is a new breed of television, besting the futile attempts of previous HBO shows such as Rome and, though many did like it, The Tudors. No, Thrones is more. It's deeper. It's brilliant.
  89. Feb 14, 2014
    Really, really, really good. More of a 9.5, but hell, this show is so well built and interesting the difference is insignificant. Try an episode or two, very much worth a shot.
  90. Nov 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Seriously. **** you, Game of Thrones! I hate this show so much right now! But I also love it! I only hate it because of S1E9. Why did you that? Ned Stark was awesome! I did not watch further and I am nearly at the end of this episode but as far as I can tell: this TV show is ****ing awesome! I love it! Expand
  91. Jun 14, 2011
    Playing as somewhat of a medieval, melodrammatic soap-opera too naughty for day-time television, "Game of Thrones" is a compelling series that captivates and demands of your attention, with each week discovering something new, shocking, or agitating. Each character has a story, and each one ties together gradually more and more---how much thread can this folktale keep unwinding?
  92. Jun 22, 2011
    I was sceptical at first if a fantasy tv show would be the right thing to watch. I had seen many bad examples in my childhood, like xena,... . but soon after starting to watch, the show had my full attention. the show has everything from bloodbath to zombies to sex. can't wait to see the next season.
  93. Jun 21, 2011
    I watched the entire season. I give it a 2 because there were 2 good episodes of out 10. My friends stopped watching around ep 7 which sucked since the last three episodes are finally 'not completely boring'. They are fans of the book and ubergeek board gamers. Please change score to 10 immediately.
  94. Jun 21, 2011
    Having not read the books, I was thoroughly surprised by the series and found myself enjoying it so far immensely. The show is good because the original author retains control, a "realistic" element runs strong and the backgrounds and extras are adequately fleshed out. Can't wait for more.
  95. Jun 21, 2011
    It was the great geek hope. A good friend of mine told me this would change my mind about fantasy. But it didn't happen. I thought it was a cardinal rule of fantasy to have bearded dwarves and this was different. But beardless dwarves is not enough to make me want to go play miniatures and dice in a basement. The nudity was obviously gratuitous [edit score changed to 10]
  96. Jun 21, 2011
    The first 5 minutes were atmospheric, cinematic (except for fake dead girl doll), but then it went downhill. It felt like I was flipping the channel between two late night cable shows and a national geographic nightmare. People talked a lot--idle chit chat. I had no problem getting the main characters, but I found them to be pre-made stereotypes. It was like I was peeking into theThe first 5 minutes were atmospheric, cinematic (except for fake dead girl doll), but then it went downhill. It felt like I was flipping the channel between two late night cable shows and a national geographic nightmare. People talked a lot--idle chit chat. I had no problem getting the main characters, but I found them to be pre-made stereotypes. It was like I was peeking into the fantasies of a 13 year old boy. And the narrative was telling me, not showing me, a bunch of information that I didn't care about, never helping care for any of these people or whatever situation they are in. The terrible editing was the final straw for me. The transitions between scenes were very disruptive, giving me no hope for immersion into the show. At last I became fully aware I was watching a show I didn't want to watch. I realized no amount of hype could get me to forgive the problems of the show and the fact that I am not in the target audience. I simply don't care for this world or its characters. I did see the last scene, the intended "wow, shocking, now you must come back" message but since I had absolutely no time to care for anyone, it felt like a great exit cue never to return. The episode was rushed. I think if they had slowed down and given me a sense of the world and what these people did, as if they were real and not just players on a stage, I would have been pulled in. I would give this show a score of 0 which I believe in metacritic terms equals a mixed review scoring 40. Expand
  97. Jun 21, 2011
    There is something sinister going on here. HBO is using an existing story/book franchise with an established reputation as some kind of human shield. The culprit holding it at sword-point as they shuffle along for ten hours is a t*ts & as* ratings-grabber. The opening scenes appear to be written by, directed, shot and edited by a completely different crew to the one responsible for theThere is something sinister going on here. HBO is using an existing story/book franchise with an established reputation as some kind of human shield. The culprit holding it at sword-point as they shuffle along for ten hours is a t*ts & as* ratings-grabber. The opening scenes appear to be written by, directed, shot and edited by a completely different crew to the one responsible for the rest of the first episode. Which is probably why I enjoyed the opening. It contained well-executed scenes and a promise of a story with intrigue and action to come. And there ended the budget. From then on, it becomes a domestic family feud soapie with bad dialogue and a story that leaves you drifting off and patting the cat. This costume test of a show is hacked up with laughably gratuitous sex scenes, and we all know what that really means in a program this immature - naked women scenes. Usually prostitutes. HBO loooves prostitutes in their shows - no time wasted introducing superfluous female characters there for one thing - instant boobs and bum shots, and [only] occasional full frontals. Let's not cheapen it. Some of the main actresses tend to pull down the show with the weight of their carefully casted boobs, too. But not very far - it's at no great height to begin with. But at least these actresses get three lines of dialogue and storyline invested in them before it's tops off. And that's just sad. If a show reeeaally is designed to be a camp, sexy ratings vehicle, at least be equal opportunistic. Clearly this is yet another old-fashioned fuddy-duddy-made show with double standards, where only women are portrayed gratuitously and there is a glaringly obvious disorder of sexynudemanphobia. I'll give the creators a tip here - perhaps that's why the sex scenes don't work? You need both/all parties to appear remotely sexy? Let's face it, how many juvenile homophobic males who don't understand that aspects of a show might not be aimed at them can there be? Maybe one day, these shows will grow some balls [pardon the pun], or even better - grow some story and action and lose the crotch altogether. I mean, crutch. Oh I know I've rambled on mostly about the gratuitous sex [naked female] scenes. But really - what else is there to this show? Promotion from an existing book? It's like a bad ad - if the audience can see they're being manipulated, it just doesn't sell. Expand
  98. May 1, 2011
    Having read the entire book series, multiple times, I had some concerns coming into the televised series. Thankfully they have been proven unfounded. The acting, writing, and set design are all excellent!
  99. Aug 16, 2011
    I would say that the episodes gained speed towards the end of its first season. Since its HBO, there is enough brutality, blood and boobs for 'mature' audiences. But as a few say, the plot line is a bit tacky (although imaginative) and the characters can be a bit repetitive. The whole 'Fantasy' genre is maybe pushing this on a bit too much - seems more like your average middle-agedI would say that the episodes gained speed towards the end of its first season. Since its HBO, there is enough brutality, blood and boobs for 'mature' audiences. But as a few say, the plot line is a bit tacky (although imaginative) and the characters can be a bit repetitive. The whole 'Fantasy' genre is maybe pushing this on a bit too much - seems more like your average middle-aged people and freaks than a 'fantasy' cast as such. BUT, this is coming from only a TV viewer as I have not read any of the Series. I would imagine the books are much better than the TV as TV/Movies has a hard time breaking the believable Fantasy barrier except for maybe L.O.T.R. Everything else seems like a cheap knock-off sometimes. Ironic how this genre of books and TV has exploded since The Trilogy (not to say they weren't great before ... but it LOTR definitely helped get viewers). In general, good stuff and good entertainment. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Apr 25, 2011
    The epic fantasy series is lavish, violent and often quite nasty. Most crucially, this adaptation of George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" book series is unnecessarily difficult to follow.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 18, 2011
    The gloriously bloody and depraved spirit of the novels is intact and even enhanced.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 18, 2011
    A grand soap opera of epic proportions, Game of Thrones can be a bit talky in some episodes, but the series draws a viewer in with well-defined characters and a multitude of simultaneous stories whose plot turns are generally unpredictable.