• Network: HBO
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
9.2

Universal acclaim- based on 2032 Ratings

1. Apr 17, 2014
    This is the best thing on TV at the moment. It's not flawless, but I gave it a 10 because it is an absolute masterpiece. The cast is consistently excellent, working in harmony with the sharp writing. The action is definitely movie-level, but not too frequent to become boring. Everything aspect of this show is at the top of its game, and more. Game of Thrones is not just TV, it is an experience, and one work experiencing. I would recommend this to lovers of fantasy or just those who want a good tale. Expand
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    Game of Trones is the best series ever. I just cannot think of any other to compare with. Wonderful. I recently started to read the books and I started to love them at once. I think they have been making a beautiful film out of a beautiful book. Looking forward to new pieces!
  3. Mar 30, 2014
    IMPORTANT: To get the full 'Game of Thrones'-experience you need to get through season 1 - you have to invest time in to it but I can promise you it'll give it back to you x100.000.000!

As much as I love and adore Game of Thrones - pretty much every aspect of it - I've got to admit that for most people season 1 can get pretty heavy. This is simply because the plot of GoT is so huge and
    elaborate that you need to spend ages getting in to it.

Season 1: introduction season - can get boring at some points with a lot of dialogue and 'explaining'. You need to get through this - no shortcuts.
    Season 2: beginning to get badass. This is the season where things begin to light up and you'll see the potential of the series.
    Season 3: PURE **** AMAZING, MINDBLOWING, BADASS AWESOMENESS! All the hours spent understanding the relations, houses and lands lead up to this. If you're not hooked after s3e10 this is not for you.
  4. Mar 29, 2014
    One of the best tv series ever produced. Based on amazing material (books). Excellent dialogues, characters, settings, clothes, music....I can go on... Not to be overlooked!!!An absolute must.
  5. Mar 23, 2014
    I'm so excited the big anticipated wait for season four of Game of Thrones is near. One thing I don't like about this show is it seems the good die young and the show is full of villains. That's why I cant until the blonde beauty 'Calisi (mother of dragons) comes to kicks azz (I HOPE) and knock a few off their high horses!!
  6. Mar 20, 2014
    I don't give this a 10 lightly: this is bar-none the best TV series I have ever seen in my life. So much so that I actually buy multiple DVDs to gift to family members just to support it. The atmosphere, the complex character relationships, and the sheer magnitude of the story just make this something to sink into. I haven't been able to "feel like I'm part of the universe" when watching media since I was a teenager. This is one show that lets me do that. I turn off all external sensory items and just get absorbed into the piece, enjoying every minute. There's only two flaws so far: they couldn't dye the eyebrows blonde (you get used to it), and the first few episodes are very heavy for people who cannot handle far-arching stories and characters. This is the only show where when someone is in danger (and sometimes not even in danger) I feel the threat and cannot just assume everything will work out alright (looking at you serial shows where the main characters survive everything several seasons in). I sure hope media in general learns from GoT and this is not the only piece of such great caliber in my lifetime. Expand
  7. Mar 17, 2014
    This is the best television programme ever created. The acting is the best in the business. There are a lot of characters in this, and it should be difficult to flesh out each person and give them depth, but they have no problem with that here. Each episode leaves you wanting more, and each episode has you at the edge of your seat. Expect the unexpected. The writing is the best I've ever seen. This is television at it's finest. Expand
  8. Mar 11, 2014
    The best piece of literature or entertainment ever created. One of the most impressive productions ever and is worth every second of your time. Not to be a fan boy but nothing else touches this show in character, story or presentation. All perfected to the smallest detail
  9. Mar 11, 2014
    Esta primera temporada de Game of Thrones fue brillante, la lucha de las familias por el control del trono de hierro no es solo eso, es sobre la historia de rodea a varios personajes y la situacion que deben enfrentar en un mundo plagado por la traicion y la corrupcion.
  10. Mar 4, 2014
    I have to say that the series are simply the best series I have watched in my entire life. I really like how they include a lot of characters, and have many main characters. This makes the series very exiting. I have not personally read the books, but I've begun, and as far as I can tell, I like them a lot. With a wide range of great actors, and an amazing story, the series get you really hooked and addicted to watching. It contains a lot of sex, so to be honest, the series are not for people who easily get offended and feel harassed by the scenes. A lot of people I know say that the "Game of Thrones" series in a nutshell, is basically: sex, dragons and violence. This I do not personally agree with, as it also contains an awesome story, great actors, and the fact that it's easy to get addicted. I would recommend this series to people who are mature enough, and who also have watched The Hobbit movies, Lord of the rings, Atlantis, Harry Potter and other fantasy movies/series. Expand
  11. Feb 14, 2014
    Really, really, really good. More of a 9.5, but hell, this show is so well built and interesting the difference is insignificant. Try an episode or two, very much worth a shot.
  12. Jan 28, 2014
    Game of Thrones was something I frowned upon at first, friends told me what it was and I kind of shrugged it off. Biggest mistake ever.

This show is absolutely everything I wanted in a TV series for such a very long time. Absolutely amazing photography & cinematography, brilliant music & audio plus the amazing actors and crew which build one hell of a story to tell. The 3 seasons of
    this so far have kept me gripped and interested the entire journey, and the fourth season is only just around the corner now!

I highly recommend this!
  13. Jan 24, 2014
    An epic medieval fantasy with incredible action, gory and intense action, and a a brilliant and engaging storyline, coupled with fantastic writing. Despite the ensemble, the breakout is Peter Dinklage, who has found the perfect role; the sardonic, clever, and persuasive dwarf Tyrion Lannister, who by far is the most captivating of all with his schemes and clever and powerful insults and overall look at life, all make him the character who will leave you laughing. Normally, I'm not a fan of fantasy, but this has changed my mind. Expand
  14. Jan 14, 2014
    I read the novels several times in the past few years, then finally got to watch most of the HBO series. The acting is superb, and the feel is true to the novels, which are as much a history lesson on the brute vileness that was Medieval Europe as a fantasy series.
  15. Jan 3, 2014
    A tremendous adaptation of Martin's novels, it probably helps that he does control many aspects of the television series; Season 1 of GOT is nearly a replica of the actual novel. And like the novel, it succeeds tremendously as an entertaining, violent, and epic success.
  16. Dec 3, 2013
    The critics on this site are borderline retarded. Season 1 of Game of Thrones gets a lower rating than Dexter Season 7. No GOT seasons are below a 90. Breaking Bad/Game of Thrones/The Sopranos/Walking Dead/Boardwalk Empire are +90 shows. And Homeland from what I hear. But I've only seen about 6 episodes of Season 1. But the "fans" have much better judgment than the critics, sadly.

+ The Wire. And The Wire.
  17. Nov 29, 2013
    Uma grande e estrondosa série de intrigas políticas e psicológica, eriçada com personagens vivos, unidos pelo enredo tentador e temperado com um toque de fantasia, isso Game of Thrones.
  18. Nov 25, 2013
    I am falling in love with this show. It is interesting and the costumes and set designs are great still. Can't wait to finish seasons 2 & 3 before season 4 in the Spring.
  19. Nov 25, 2013
    almost everything is here excellent, it stays true to book, very good acting, well directed etc.
    only downside they had to cut parts from the book. Buy it!
  20. Nov 16, 2013
    There is nothing you can dislike about game of thrones, every episode is interesting and every character is important. I think it's one of the best tv series ever created.
  21. Nov 14, 2013
    There is no weakness to this show. Whoever had the idea to make A Song of Fire and Ice into a TV series was a damn genius. The acting is unreal and the story heavily revolves around the complex relations between the characters rather than unrelenting action. Of course there is action where there needs to be and its amazing. Luckily for the viewers, it appears their budget for this show it quite high so we get to enjoy good special effects and robust settings. I doubted the hype around this show for quite some time. I've never been so wrong... Expand
  22. Oct 31, 2013
    Incredible. Just incredible. As much critical praise as this series has received, it hasn't received enough. It is not merely highly entertaining junk food like I thought it was before I started watching. It is incredibly deep and technically flawless. The cinematography, the acting, even the sound editing: it's all top-notch. The only series I have ever seen that were better than this were The Sopranos, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad. I think a strong argument can be made that this is the 4th-greatest television program of all time, and as funny as that may sound, I don't think most people consider Game of Thrones to be the 4th-greatest show in history. It is woefully underrated. It may well come in first place as far as characterization is concerned. In almost any television program, there are "good" characters and "bad" characters. But this is not realistic. Even in a show as great as the Sopranos, the viewer was gently nudged by the writers toward making a normative assessment of a character's morality, i.e. nudged toward despising Richie Aprile or Ralphie Cifaretto vs excusing the sins of softer-hearted mobsters like Tony and Paulie. Game of Thrones has the most believable and realistic characters in television because they are incredibly morally complex, as are real human beings. They are all self-interested in ways that the viewer can understand and empathize with. It would not be ridiculous to say that Game of Thrones, both as a book series and a show, is equal in quality to The Lord of the Rings (both as a book series and a movie franchise). In fact, in my opinion, while the books have equal artistic merit (in diametrically opposite ways), the GoT series has the LOTR film trilogy beat by a country mile. LOTR in print form was admirable for its allegorical, neo-biblical juxtaposition of pure good versus pure evil, and there are parallels to the New Testament and to 20th century wars and political struggles. It is a literary triumph in the Apollonian tradition, but GoT in print is Dionysian triumph. The characters are not morally stark (no pun intended) mannequins meant to represent ancient archetypes and values, they are human beings, reflections of the reader. I could go on forever, just watch the show. Expand
  23. Oct 27, 2013
    Wow. Having put off watching this series for so long, I was more than pleasantly surprised with what it had to offer. In short; Top actors, lovely British accents, wonderful world of Westeros, Sean Bean, "A Lanister always pays his debts", shocking events that spring up quickly, well paced, funny, action packed, mythical politics, Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage brilliant portrayal of the "Imp" gripping television. Expand
  24. Oct 25, 2013
    wow amazing..feels real....very good background score .....screenplay adaption from novel is excellent..because of this I am curious to read all the books of game of thrones .....peter performance ..main highlight of the season..epic ,lavish,fantastic
  25. Oct 10, 2013
    The most entertaining, big budget, awesome book based fantasy you could wish for. As a person that read all aSoIaF books, this show does them justice.
  26. Oct 10, 2013
    Winter is coming, and I couldn't be happier... The series is masterful and the acting is fantastic. The series stays true to the books and really pushes across the feel of 'war of the roses' meets 'lord of the rings'.
  27. Sep 29, 2013
    They're doing a great job adapting the books to the screen. This season was very well paced and very well written. On top of that, the acting and scenery were phenomenal. Great show for anyone that likes a good epic fantasy.
  28. Sep 25, 2013
    Having just watched ep 10, I truly feel this series gets it just right. Acting, production values, plot, intrigue are all in line with the feel and tone of the book
  29. Sep 16, 2013
    Magnificent. I never read the books, so the story was quite amazing to me, and the twists and turns caught me completely off guard. What is very great about the story is how fully realized the complex world is, and how the different plot lines intertwine together into one massive saga that surely still has much to offer in the coming seasons. I read that there are 7 novels in total. Will be exciting to see how they are played out. Another great thing about the story, is how it relates to many historical elements in medieval Europe. Yet the story feels original. Overall, it is a beautifully crafted TV show that is definitely worth checking out. Expand
  30. Sep 16, 2013
    Cómo la web me pide un mínimo de 150 caracteres, y necesito hacer el review para poder tenerla archivada en mi perfil, pues suelto este rollito y mi votación es de 9. Un saludo.
  31. Sep 5, 2013
    I cant explain in words how happy I am they finally made this series, and they did it right. The level of production, the sets, locations and the top actors they've gotten to do this makes this easily one of the best first seasons in HBO cable TV history. Throw in the fact that this show stays very close to the source material, and you have the best "thing" on TV. If the end of this season proved to those unknowing of this series anything don't get attached. Expand
  32. Aug 30, 2013
    With beautiful and expensive production design but even better, with good acting and great writing and direction, Game of Thrones is one of the best TV shows of the year.
  33. Jul 29, 2013
    Best tv show ever,- Why anyone would vote it down I don't know, maybe they didn't watch it but this is the best thing ever... I have watched it all, and I will continue to watch it all.
  34. Jul 27, 2013
    An extremely good first season. Game of Thrones is a fantastic show with fantastic performances by near the entire cast. The writing is good in the first season and the writing does a great job of following the first book very closely.
  35. Jul 14, 2013
    Fantastic show, it has wonderful character development, and a sense of moral ambiguity in relation to every character on the show. This is quite good because, you can decide who your hero or "protagonist" is, it's a world that is utterly and completely gray as opposed to the black and white that is portrayed on the vast majority of television programs. This is a thinking man's epic.
  36. Jun 19, 2013
    There is not much that I can say that hasn't already been said. This is one of, if not the best, show on TV today. Characters are great and wonderful writing. A must watch
  37. Jun 13, 2013
    Novel adaptations like this are made for television. Many times epic literary works are reduced to the bare bones because people aren't willing to sit through a film longer than 3 hours. Game of Thrones is an excellent adaptation of Martin's work, with exceptional acting and beautiful visuals. If you have to pick one series to follow, it should be this one.
  38. Jun 11, 2013
    In this TV show, you never know what's going to happen next, you can only guess. It's such a fantastic peace of work(actually pieces). You follow different troop through Westeros and watch them battle for the Iron Throne, AMAZING.

I don't really know what to say wothout spoiling.
  39. Jun 11, 2013
    This show. WOW. I just can't get enough of it. It's plot twists, wars, and etc.. Just MIND-BLOWING. Normally I don't go for these type of shows.. I go for mysteries, or science fictional powered shows for example once upon a time but Game of Thrones.. It's one of the top of my favorite shows and let me warn you I watch a lot of shows. I mean it A LOT. I'd place Game of Thrones 4th of my very long list. Expand
  40. Jun 9, 2013
    Amazing show. In the middle of all the mediocre television shows being produced in recent years Game of Thrones is an exception and a must watch. The show is filled with action, and fast-paced (in my opinion, when compared to other shows I've seen recently such as the Walking Dead).
  41. Jun 4, 2013
    Brilliant show with very well written storyline lines which continue to grip you every episode without ever losing interest. I would highly recommend that everyone give GoT a watch.
  42. May 25, 2013
    Outstandingly realized adaptation of one of the best fantasy novel of our generation. Cast is well chosen, except for Renly. Acting is amazing (Peter Dinklage fits the role of the Imp perfectly). Let's hope that HBO will be able to adapt all "Song of Ice and Fire" saga. Great start
  43. May 20, 2013
    The most satisfying TV-series I have watched.

Game of Thrones is a low fantasy medieval setting series based on the A Song of Ice and Fire books.
    It starts out a bit slow in an apparent non-magical fantasy world where people seem to have common medieval-ish superstitions.
    When magic is introduced, it is most often subtle, dark and/or unsettling, and sometimes you're left to wonder if
    it's a just a parlor trick within the Game of Thrones world.

The episode focuses on many main characters, each surrounded by the enemies they call friends and the friends they believe to be their enemies, spies and allies.
    The characters are very well-made, some easier to like than others, and the plot unpredictable unless you have read the books.

For once, we are looking at a series that actually is (mostly) true to the books. While it does take some shortcuts with the approval of the author of the books they don't contradict nor ruin the plot from the books.

This is the first TV-series I believe I will be able to bother tracking and watch every time it airs.
  44. May 18, 2013
    A very great show. Interesting storylines, interesting characters, great acting, story just a very good show. It takes a lot of attention to get every detail but the show is still very great. Kind of like a TV version of Lord of the Rings.
  45. May 6, 2013
    BEST MEDIEVAL FANTASY TV SHOW FOR ME only complain from me that they release only 10 episodes every year...They could had add way more episodes and expand the story based on the books of Martin
  46. Apr 27, 2013
    Many of the early critical reviews have just dismissed this as a TV version of 'The Lord of the Rings'. I feel that is extremely unfair analysis of the show. Game of thrones is by far one of the best programmes on TV now, next to Breaking Bad. One of the brilliant aspects of the show is even though it is filled with magic and fantasy creatures, at its heart it is a thrilling political drama.
  47. Apr 25, 2013
    I love this show in a way that I seldom love any type of media. I look forward to each episode airing and am sad when it is done. As spring approaches each year I know that winter is coming and cannot wait for it.

The first season starts in a way that almost immediately grabs your attention and lets you know that it will never let go. The elements that keep me coming back are not the
    dragons or the infrequent battles, or any of the normal fantasy elements that some people seem to think the books or this show are about. The appeal is the brilliantly devious nature of many of the characters and almost naive nature of others in addition to the fact that Peter Dinklage is flat out awesome. There are very few adults I know who are not fans of this show, and generally it is because they have not seen any episodes.

I didn't actually read the first book before the first season aired so I went into it without knowing the progression of events and actually kind of loved how that worked out. As the first season progresses you have hopes based on the characters you find to be the most honorable and likable and then you quickly realize that the world of Westeros does not take kindly to honorable people who do the right thing because it is right. In fact the first season pretty much breaks your heart in the greatest way possible as it virtually guarantees you will want to watch it until the bitter end. Previously Deadwood was my favorite show that HBO aired, Game of Thrones has now probably taken that spot.
  48. Apr 17, 2013
    As a fan of the books, I first started to watch the series with some sense of caution, as I felt truly disapointed to the treatment the Harry Potter series received from the 3rd book onwards.

This time, however, HBO did exactly what Warner Bros. should have done with the Harry Potter series. Instead of tightening every book into 2 1/2 hours, Home Box Office offered us a well detailed
    and perfectly paced 9 hours(aprox.) of a excellent fantasy series.

The make up, dressing and setting look like an exact replication of everyone's mind when reading A Song of Ice and Fire. The characters are well established, everyone has an importance, and everyone's actions have their own consequences attached.

Which leads us to the acting. Sean Bean is perfect as Lord Eddard Stark. Mark Addy seems to be the real King Robert. Lena Headley does the acting so well that we even hate her and Cersei. And Peter Dinklage steals the show as Tyrion Lannister. There are also great perfomances from Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as the arrogant Jaime, Charles Dance as Daddy Tywin, Emilia Clarke as the noble-hearted princess Daenerys Targaryen.

To sum up, this is a must see show. A unique experience that shows us that Good not necessarily triumphs over Evil, but there's always balance in this exceptional world of Westeros.
  49. Apr 16, 2013
    Game of Thrones provides that Lord of the Rings epic with superb storylines and acting. In its first season, it's hard to imagine how this show could go wrong. Sean Bean is fantastic as always, as are many of the other actors cast in this sure-hit series. It's not geared for the younger crowd in any way, which is why you'll find this only on HBO, but if you can stomach the mature content you'll be in for quite an experience. This may be the best thing on TV right now. Expand
  50. Apr 14, 2013
    Game of Thrones Review

Now that I just finished the first two seasons I'm seriously surprised. This TV show is truly something to be amazed about! Right now I'm really trying to find a flaw in it but I just can't. I thought of everything, the pacing, the cast, the direction and I even dared to question the amazing production value! But i couldn't find a single main thing, maybe the
    occasional out of pace scene but nothing to distract you if this amazing journey.
    Let's start with the plot, it is an adaptation of the famous series of novels A Song of Ice and Fire from George R. R. Martin. Like you guessed I haven't read them but I'll congratulate George for such a deep and rich universe and characters! But you are gonna ask, can this show really pull you into this story and make you like the protagonists? The answer is: ABSOLUTELY!
    I found myself cheering for Tyrion as he led his forces in Blackwater Bay! I liked hating Joffrey's guts and seeing what other horrible things he could do! And I liked immersing myself in Jon Snow's journey to the mysterious and wild lands that lie North of the Wall!
    The story is so engaging and it never gets lost in the overwhelmingly big cast of characters. There were a few times where I said "woah, who was this?" or "what was this dudes name?", but nothing overly complicated.
    The actors are great, they are full of charm and fit the characters. The ones that really stood out where Peter Dinklage as the smart and cunning Tyrion Lannister, Sean Bean as the honorable and loyal Ned Stark and last but not least, Jack Gleeson, playing the and sometimes chilling Joffrey Baratheon! Another thing I want to talk about is the astonishing and amazingly crafted presentation. It takes you in... no, it sucks you into this world and makes you care about it and feel part of it. I swear every time I see it I just sit back and enjoy my time in Westeros.
  51. Apr 13, 2013
    Never have I seen a show make you so interested in all the characters, and the show really pulls you into the world where these kingdoms are being ruled. Just amazing show!
  52. Apr 5, 2013
    It is the best show on TV. It's one of the first shows to show respect for the viewer and have a giant cast of round characters around the globe. It is a great show and a great fantasy. A must for people who love TV, Drama, Fantasy, or stories.
  53. Apr 3, 2013
    One of the best shows out there... Some would say that the books are better but having read them I can assure you that the show is great and you can still enjoy it... The characters the plot the betrayals and most of all the mortality of all the characters even the protagonists will keep you company for a long time to come...
  54. Apr 2, 2013
    King in the North! When I first saw this season I had never read the books. But after I had read them, I came back to this and honestly, it is probably one of the most faithful adaptions of a book (a real book, not your weak 300 pagers) I had ever seen. Long live The Bean! For he is a true actor. Dinklage is also perfect, but Sean Bean anchors the show for the first season before letting it go free, so that newbies, like myself, were deftly introduced to the show and the Starks before the chaos ensnared. Expand
  55. Mar 23, 2013
    This show is great. Way easier to follow than the books, which i find to be long winded and confusing; though i am sure there is a great story buried in all those pages, the TV show cuts off the fat!
  56. Mar 20, 2013
    I don't care much for TV shows. This is the only show I've been genuinely excited for in a very long time. There are a lot of characters and names to remember, but I can't think of a single character from the show that is boring or dull. I didn't think a TV show could have so many character that are all so interesting.
  57. Mar 14, 2013
    Never read the books, but I am hooked on this show. Wow, wow, and wow again!

Great acting and very engaging story. Love the plot twists and the uncertainty that exists about any of the characters whether we are talking about their morals or even whether they'll be alive in the next episode! Do yourself a big favor and watch this show from the start. I went out and bought all the dvds.
  58. Mar 13, 2013
    Yes, this is my favourite TVShow, and i have seen a lot of seriues such as Lost, Breaking Bad, White Collar, Greys Anatomy and many others, but still this is my favourite one. No i have not read the books but my cosuin have told me that´s the same thing. I love Game of Thrones becauseof it´s story, the scenarios, the actors, the visual effects. I mean this series has everything anyone could lovo of any Tv Show. The story at first is a little bit strange and you may not get anything but after at leas t5 episodes of the first season you know very good the story and how is it going. And if you relate with a specific charachter it may be killed, yes in this tvshow many main character got killed but i thik this makes the series more special, it´s completly different to other shows when the main character never gets killed. The custome its another thing that makes game of thones very special, its absolutly awesome and perfect, again, even more than other series such as lost or NCIS. I can´t simply wait for more of this series. Expand
  59. Mar 13, 2013
    Turning a set of epic fantasy novels as complex as George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series was always going to be a daunting task that could easily have ended in disaster. Fortunately the creators of Game of Thrones have not only lived up to expectations but excelled them. Featuring multiple story lines, each packed with numerous important characters, most viewers who haven’t read the novels will find the opening few episodes tough to follow (I know I certainly did!) but stick with the show and you will be rewarded. Featuring a fantastic cast including the likes of Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey Game of Thrones biggest achievement is in maintaining a narrative pace that keeps you engaged even during long scenes of dialogue, of which there are a lot. All of it always feels as though it is required though with much explanation needed to lay out the geography of the seven kingdoms, as well as the various families and dynasties that are fighting for control of this world. In amongst all the explanation there is plenty of, sometimes unnecessary, sex and violence but unlike many shows it is usually there to advance the plot and the ten episodes set things up perfectly for what is sure to be an epic second season.

Throwing all the established television rules out the window Game of Thrones is the best original series in a long time. If you haven’t yet watched it ignore those short sighted critics as this is a must buy.
  60. Mar 4, 2013
    Although ignorant of the original literature, GoT proves godly in all stages of production. Never in the history of shows have I witnessed such a plethora of character portrayals and development. How many shows have the capacity to allow you to truly feel for both sides; in a word, how many shows have the capacity for such emotional investment?
  61. Feb 19, 2013
    I went into this skeptical. The premise really didn't seem like it would interest me. But after a bit of peer pressure from some friends I sat down and watched it. I loved it! Well, most of it. I found that some of the later episode tended to drag on a bit, and weren't as good as the earlier episodes. Overall: This is a very good series that is far better than I would have imagined.
  62. Feb 14, 2013
    started reading this series 20 years or so ago with the release of the first novel. ive found the show to be a brilliant visual companion to one seriously well written series. not sure how well it would play out to someone who hasnt read the books as there are probably too many characters and plotlines to explore in a way to brief a season. as along time lover of the books i have no complaints. especially impressed with lena headey's portrayal of the twisted cersai. im not one to give 10's, but for me this is flawless tv. if only there were more hours in a season Expand
  63. Dec 15, 2012
    it's based on a book, and if there's one thing that is excellent as books is: character development is always good in them, as well as the drama, Action is seldom and when it happens, it's explosive, that's how these books roll, and I expected no different from the TV series, excellent adaptations and great acting.
    Although, at some points, the excessive talk, does kind of bore you a
    little. Nothing too bad, I rarely ever watch TV, but when I do, I kind of expect to be entertained with action, and sometimes this bores me a little bit. As I said, nothing major Expand
  64. Dec 13, 2012
    Love this show, once you start watching you truly can't stop. I loved the story of the Starks, and you will really start to care for the characters. Everything is so well done.
  65. Dec 10, 2012
    Quite possibly the best TV series on at the moment, and in TV history. Both seasons 1 and 2 have incredible acting, genius scripting, a tight and exciting story, the spectacular and ridiculously complex and realistic fantasy world of George RR Martin, is brought to life almost perfectly. It has basically a Hollywood movie's production value and spot on directing.

What more can I say? I
    recommend it to all over the age of 15, as long as you can take some sex and blood, and complex politics. You will be drawn completely in and then taken on the roller-coaster of your life. Watch it! Expand
  66. Dec 9, 2012
    Bloody, violent and engaging just the way I like it.
  67. Dec 8, 2012
    This show is nothing less than a masterpiece. It follows the books quite well, deviating a little here and there for artistic sake, but nothing major I've noticed (though I bet some of you ASoIaF lovers will probably pick up some I missed). The acting on all fronts is superb, though I was most impressed by Peter Dinklage and the child actor playing Arya Stark, both of whom deserve some sort of award if they haven;t got one already.

This show is an alternate universe medieval type action/drama. It's set in a place called Westeros and revolves around the different leaders of the respective areas and outlying areas, and their religious beliefs and throne-hunger driving them to war. The show features supernatural elements as well, including magic and mythical creatures. It's very much everything you'd expect from an adult medieval drama, and a lot of things you wouldn't. It surprises, and astounds around every corner. The visuals and sets are beautiful, and the story is one you must experience to truly enjoy.
  68. Dec 8, 2012
    It completely blew me away. I was hooked through to the end, and couldn't wait for the next season, and bought the next volume and read through it, and the next until there were none. This is one of those adaptations where you cannot complain. The show did what was essential to bring the book alive on TV. Apart from a few elements (which I would not spoil here), this is a show rooted in reality, as much as it could be for a fantasy. What I mean is that magic plays a very little part and does not serve as a plot device. The show has some truly amazing characters. The last time I saw a show that comes even close to handling so many characters so well was Lost.

My advice, though, is to read the books first because if you watch the show before that, it would be too good for you to come back to reading the books, which would be a shame since ASoIF is the best written fantasy series IMO.
  69. Nov 20, 2012
    The best show ever! The sopranos has been demoted to second best show ever in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  70. Nov 9, 2012
    Game of Thrones is a new breed of television, besting the futile attempts of previous HBO shows such as Rome and, though many did like it, The Tudors. No, Thrones is more. It's deeper. It's brilliant.
  71. Nov 4, 2012
    Game of Thrones is one of the few times where a visual adaptation surpasses its source material - the A Song of Ice and Fire series. That's not to say the books are bad, on the contrary, up until A Feast For Crows they're extremely entertaining when the author isn't giving you a long-winded explanation on what someone had for breakfast! The show essentially takes the plots from the book, and delivers something with more adrenaline and more action, with the opportunity to expand on characters beyond the POV's from the books. Never before have I seen a show with such good acting, so many likeable characters - even female characters, and so many unforeseen plot twists. Usually you'd expect a fantasy based drama to suffer from the usual hammy acting and the like, but this is nothing of the sort. You'll care about characters, you'll be intrigued by the story, and you'll love the soundtrack. Its only real downfall is the unnecessary sex scenes in almost every single episode - even more so than the books. Expand
  72. Sep 23, 2012
    Everything good about this show has already been said. It's very enjoyable, though confronting at times, and not as predictable as one might think. Just watch it. I bought the books (all of them) halfway through the season.
  73. Sep 22, 2012
    This is one of my favorite shows/movies that I've ever seen. I was doubtful to watch it because I thought that it wasn
  74. Jul 30, 2012
    This is one of the best TV shows of all times. For those who love epic stories it is a gift, and for those who don't, too. The acting is exquisite, the detailed scenarios are completely convincing and the intensity of each episode leaves the spectator more than satisfied. Very well done. Congratulations.
  75. Jul 20, 2012
    Thrones is the fantasy epic to end all fantasy epics in my opinion. The world they'e created is so believable, as are the characters and their political wranglings that you'll be sucked into this universe for the duration of each episode. It's gritty, dark, brutally violent and very reminiscent of our own dark ages. That's why Thrones appeals to such a large target audience. Alhough it IS fantasy, dragons warlocks, zombies, etc, it doesn't bludgeon you with the nerdiness. My friend hates fantasy, Lord of The Rings drove him nuts, but he loves this as he says it's very realistic in terms of the ways things were. The action is awesome, the acting is perfect, the dialouge is spot on - just all-round brilliance really. If every TV series were like this we'd be laughing. Expand
  76. Jul 15, 2012
    There are some changes between the books and the show, but they are mostly due to either cost or background. Sometimes they add a scene to show things that were implied in the books indirectly. Sometimes, they take a scene away due to time or the aforementioned costs. All of that said, the show is dark and wonderful, and it tells a tale not unlike the books. My only complaint is that Renly never ate the peach! Expand
  77. Jul 14, 2012
    the worst part about this show is that i have to wait a week in between episodes. i haven't read the books, so i enjoy the show quite a bit

i'm intrigued about what's going to happen
  78. Jul 10, 2012
    Yes, Game of Thrones is graphic. And it's obscene. And I love it. The acting, the writing, everything about this show proves Game of Thrones is really a winner. The production quality of this show is also really commendable. I recommend this to anyone, even people who aren't really into fantasy. Also, as an adaptation, this show is really excellent.
  79. Jun 27, 2012
    It's on HBO, so you can expect a lot of gore, violence and nudity. But other than those 'superficial' attractions, Game of Thrones is one of the best TV series to come in a long time. Great cast, superb storytelling and stellar production values. It brings incredible characterization and convoluted plotting into the forefront, something that can only be done in a TV series such as this. Highly recommended. Expand
  80. Jun 27, 2012
    Game of Thrones is an absolute treat! Everything about this show is marvelous. The first episode of the first season only was able to get my attention and interest me in watching the whole season. There is no doubt about acting or the brilliance of cinematography and when you watch it, you can tell that a lot of money has been spent on making this show look even more than great.
  81. Jun 22, 2012
    this show is simply amazing, i got hooked after season 1 and ended up buying all the books too. can't wait for season 3. i would advise any one who hasn't read the books yet but want to, i believe it's more fun to watch the season first then go back and read the book just because the series is so suspenseful.
  82. Jun 18, 2012
    Very very good tv show, a bit too brutal for my taste, but it adds to the realism of it which makes it very high quality! Love the character portrayals by everyone, all very good actors and actresses! Just, wow, Can't wait for Season 3.
  83. Jun 18, 2012
    Technically and artistically a wonderful piece of motion picture. It's a first-class, professional production. I really don't know what to criticize. The viewer is kept in suspense throughout the entire episodes.
  84. Jun 16, 2012
    One of the best adaptations I've ever seen made​​. This first season was able to excite me like never before. Can follow the spirit of the book and fabulous actors equal in all respects to the characters of the book. This is a masterpiece!
  85. Jun 9, 2012
    Game of Thrones is fantastic and a premium HBO triumph. The series drowns in its lore, in a good way, so that when each episode is over you'll be crying for more. From the stellar cast, the gorgeous imagery, to the fantastic soundtrack and the clinching story Game of Thrones triumphs in every possible way imaginable. Highly Recommended for Lord Of The Rings and Skyrim fans!
  86. Jun 5, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic. The acting is great, the scenery is great and the atmosphere created is absolutely amazing. It is backed up by a deep plot-line that will have you thinking for a long time. Just can't wait to see the next episode after watching one.
  87. Jun 2, 2012
    Recently I finally watched this series after being told repeatedly of how amazing it was, and I have to say I agree. I don't think I've ever seen such amazing production design for a television show, allowing the world of Westeros to feel very real and authentic. The cast is superb as well. Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage are the standouts in Season 1, but the whole cast does a good job of embodying their characters. Furthermore, the plot of the series is completely engaging, I found it hard to tear myself away from the screen. In fact I finished the first Season in just three days because I just couldn't stop watching. If you're a fan of medieval history or fantasy than this is definitely a show that you should watch. Expand
  88. May 30, 2012
    This was a really well written season. I was hooked right from the start. Excellent cast and intriguing story lines. The only flaw with the show is that it is too short. This is more noticeable in the second season where too many things are going on at once. This show either needs more episodes or to have lengthier episodes.
  89. May 30, 2012
    It is not easy trying to bring life in to all of the complex characters of G.RR Martins amazing books, but this show certainly has succeeded! You never know what is about to happen, who will die next and where the story ends up. It is simply brilliant!
  90. May 28, 2012
    As a fan of the books, I can honestly say this is a great transition from book to screen. The acting is very, very good. The show might be a little slow at some points, but if you stick around, the show gets very exciting. The only complaint I have is that It doesnt seem as epic and grand of scale as it could, and the action seems very unnatural and coordinated.
  91. May 22, 2012
    I had never read the books, but had heard people talking of this show. Once I started watching, I could not stop. Practically every character in this show is engaging and interesting, even if you don't like them (Cercei, Joffrey, etc.). Tyrion is a fascinating character as well as Arya. I found following each individual storyline quite easy, even when there is so many of them. The script and acting appeal to me and I truly don't see any flaws in this show as of yet. Expand
  92. May 17, 2012
    Game of Thrones succeeds both as an adaptation and as a great TV drama in its first season. The writing is great (the source material gives it no excuse to be otherwise), and there are some truly mesmerizing performances by the actors. Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon, Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister, and Coneleth Hill as Varys were the four that stood out for me. It takes some time to get into the world of A Song of Ice and Fire (I was unimpressed by the pilot, but after the second episode was hooked). Beyond all of this, it is a show that requires, no demand, repeated viewings as there is so much detail to the world and the characters. If there is a criticism to be had, it is that the budget is limiting for battle sequences and to capture the scope of the book series, but that is to be expected. For fantasy lovers, and lovers of quality television (so long as they can get past their biases against the fantasy genre) this is required viewing. Very impressive first season. Expand
  93. May 15, 2012
    I was close to finishing book 1 when a friend lent me this and I caved in, watching the first 4 episodes back-to-back. It is very good and they so far they have managed to capture the book down to fine details with a cast that is almost universally perfect. So if you are a fan of the books I'd say so far, so good. If you've not read the books I recommend you do so first then come back and see HBO bring them to life Expand
  94. May 8, 2012
    For me this is one of the best movie ever!! There You can find everything : fight, intrigue, amazing story, sex and mooore. I having not read this fantastic (guess) saga but I will do this in a week!!
  95. Apr 29, 2012
    Please don't die George R.R. Martin!! You don't look like you're in the best of health. The TV show is an amazing adaptation of the books. This show is full of deep characters, dynamic plotlines, and great writing. Keep it up HBO. Two more books to go GRRM!
  96. Apr 25, 2012
    My husband and I really loved season 1- and could not wait to see the next season--however we are soooo very disappointed in season 2....the violence and extreme obscenity is not necessary for the enjoyment of this series...we are as liberal as most but we really are not enjoying this season and will probably not bother to waste our time viewing the rest of the season.......We don't really see any entertainment value in the series any longer. ---It is actually rather sickening to watch. Expand
  97. Apr 19, 2012
    I love history, but most history book are boring to read. But this, this is what history should be, granted its a fantasy novel turned into a HBO show but wow, i wish all History Channels shows were like this. Awesome storyline, wonderful acting and just an overall nice looking piece of art! Go check it out if you haven't already and prepare to be hooked!!
  98. Apr 17, 2012
    Fantastic show. For quite awhile I've wanted an 'original feeling' medieval show to watch, and good god does it deliver. The production value is high, the scenes are well shot and it is absolutely worth watching on bluray (which I recently did).

Characters feel very real, you even start to love some of the 'bad' guys.

The only thing that keeps me from recommending this to my own family
    is the nudity, sometimes a bit too much. Other times though some purely stunning scenes of artistic nudity are acceptable, but the straight up porny elements make viewing sometimes a bit awkward. Still, it does not really detract from such a fantastic show and I hope they don't change the formula, its great. Expand
  99. Apr 13, 2012
    After watching the first season I am going to be forced to buy the next book. This story is building in epic fashion and the character development is brilliant. So many crazy things happen that you just can't feel that anyone is safe and that the next big plot point can come from nothing. To anyone who is reading the few poor reviews DO NOT believe them. Only a professional dork would criticize a show like this for not being a good enough "fantasy." For the average person it is a captivating show and I for one hope it continues through the existing and future series. Expand
  100. Apr 9, 2012
    A simply perfect season. Amazing characters, an interesting plot, twists and turns, a fantastic world created by George R.R Martin, great sets and, of course, really really really good actors, who bring the characters of the book to life. Bravo HBO, Bravo Producers, and the entire team!

1. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Apr 25, 2011
    The epic fantasy series is lavish, violent and often quite nasty. Most crucially, this adaptation of George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" book series is unnecessarily difficult to follow.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 18, 2011
    The gloriously bloody and depraved spirit of the novels is intact and even enhanced.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 18, 2011
    A grand soap opera of epic proportions, Game of Thrones can be a bit talky in some episodes, but the series draws a viewer in with well-defined characters and a multitude of simultaneous stories whose plot turns are generally unpredictable.