• Network: HBO
9.2

1. Apr 27, 2011
    The relationships of the book are well realized and the telling of
    much with subtle and nuanced performances all adds up to an intriguing
    show. As a personal preference I might have liked a slight toning down of the nudity but it's no major detraction and to be fair it is in good keeping with the source material. Importantly wherever there is vulgarity the acting is good enough to justify
    The relationships of the book are well realized and the telling of
    much with subtle and nuanced performances all adds up to an intriguing
    show.

As a personal preference I might have liked a slight toning down of
    the nudity but it's no major detraction and to be fair it is in good
    keeping with the source material. Importantly wherever there is
    vulgarity the acting is good enough to justify it by virtue of sheer
    personality.

The entire cast feels well chosen, particular favorites so far that
    have caught my attention by their emotionally loaded portrayals are
    Arya and Tyrion, but also John, Rob and Eddard which bodes well for
    the series at large since they are all such major characters.

The dire wolves and the medieval vistas are presented with a haunting
    level of authenticity that captures the imagination and stays grounded
    all at once.

The ill hid contempt of the Queen for her dwarf brother and the
    protectiveness of family both amongst the Starks and their rivals are
    portrayed easily and captivatingly. It's also what lays a solid
    foundation for the action.

Motivations, loyalties, ambitions, passions and embitterments are done
    pleasing justice with a script that suits the tone and atmosphere of
    a chaotic and embattled medieval society with teeth of corruption and
    claws of bravery, the series gives its own enhanced perspective and
    for as long as everyone is fighting out of their own hearts all is
    well in the lands of Westeros.
  2. Apr 30, 2011
    This is a brilliant transition from book to film thus far. I have never seen a movie or TV series follow the book so well. The high production value and great casting just adds to the immersion. It would be best to watch the whole season one episode after another to get the full effect, And now with HBOGO available we can do it on our iphones/ipads! Can't wait to see how they handle 3This is a brilliant transition from book to film thus far. I have never seen a movie or TV series follow the book so well. The high production value and great casting just adds to the immersion. It would be best to watch the whole season one episode after another to get the full effect, And now with HBOGO available we can do it on our iphones/ipads! Can't wait to see how they handle 3 very interesting characters that appear at the very end of the first book! Expand
  3. Mar 13, 2013
    Turning a set of epic fantasy novels as complex as George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series was always going to be a daunting task that could easily have ended in disaster. Fortunately the creators of Game of Thrones have not only lived up to expectations but excelled them. Featuring multiple story lines, each packed with numerous important characters, most viewersTurning a set of epic fantasy novels as complex as George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series was always going to be a daunting task that could easily have ended in disaster. Fortunately the creators of Game of Thrones have not only lived up to expectations but excelled them. Featuring multiple story lines, each packed with numerous important characters, most viewers who haven’t read the novels will find the opening few episodes tough to follow (I know I certainly did!) but stick with the show and you will be rewarded. Featuring a fantastic cast including the likes of Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey Game of Thrones biggest achievement is in maintaining a narrative pace that keeps you engaged even during long scenes of dialogue, of which there are a lot. All of it always feels as though it is required though with much explanation needed to lay out the geography of the seven kingdoms, as well as the various families and dynasties that are fighting for control of this world. In amongst all the explanation there is plenty of, sometimes unnecessary, sex and violence but unlike many shows it is usually there to advance the plot and the ten episodes set things up perfectly for what is sure to be an epic second season.

Throwing all the established television rules out the window Game of Thrones is the best original series in a long time. If you haven’t yet watched it ignore those short sighted critics as this is a must buy.
  4. May 3, 2011
    As Game of Thrones was filmed very close by to where I live, I felt that it would be a great idea to watch this programme. Although the plot is fantastic and in great depth, with a large variety of characters within, the strong use of sexual scenes, violence, nudity and swearing closes this to a large part of the audience. Sean Bean's performance as Edd Stark is very believable, along withAs Game of Thrones was filmed very close by to where I live, I felt that it would be a great idea to watch this programme. Although the plot is fantastic and in great depth, with a large variety of characters within, the strong use of sexual scenes, violence, nudity and swearing closes this to a large part of the audience. Sean Bean's performance as Edd Stark is very believable, along with many of the other characters. Definitely a show worth watching, although slow at the start, I would recommend that you should be over 15 before considering watching this. Expand
  5. Jun 2, 2011
    Really nice series so far; brilliant and entertaining and without compromises - should you compare it to the book. Also it's becoming clear this thing will rock your world even more as the second season starts off! I'm sure the show will grow up to be COLOSSAL in the best ways possible!
  6. May 4, 2011
    A Game of Thrones asks the question: "What if the War of the Roses was fought not by two families, but over half a dozen? The show does justice to the extremely popular book series that it's based on. HBO has done a fine job of recreating the much loved characters, as well as the various sub-plots that they're involved in. While at the time of this review the different layers of conflictA Game of Thrones asks the question: "What if the War of the Roses was fought not by two families, but over half a dozen? The show does justice to the extremely popular book series that it's based on. HBO has done a fine job of recreating the much loved characters, as well as the various sub-plots that they're involved in. While at the time of this review the different layers of conflict haven't fully emerged, the stage is being well set for the chess game that is coming, with different characters as the pieces.

My only real concern is the level of back story new audiences are being asked to take in; the solution of which HBO is addressing through their Game of Thrones website which provides a great deal of explanation. This is a good solution to the commonly used tactic of having characters discuss back story that the involved characters are fully aware of.

HBO has also done a great job at finding ways to reduce costs while putting together a fine story; I only mention this because many fans are afraid of the show being cut due to costs. We can only hope that interest will remain high as this is a show that far surpasses the plethora of mind numbing sitcoms that are so popular amongst audiences today.
  7. May 8, 2011
    Long story short. This show is really good. If your looking for a typical fantasy with orcs, dragons and wizards along with sensless violence then game of thrones isn't for you. Overall great characters and great story! I strongly recommend this to anyone who doesnt watch desperate housewives.
  8. May 8, 2011
    If your somewhat a fan of fantasy stories and games, whats not to like? Really enjoy the story thus-far and I only hear from people who have read the book that it only gets far better. Really excited to see how the season will pan out!
  9. Jun 5, 2011
    I came into Game of Thrones without knowing anything about it or the books behind it. I only heard about the series from the guys at machinima.com. I'm glad now I bothered to look it up as I have never enjoyed or watched a series quite like this. Each episode is more intense then the last and will leave you swearing at your TV when it finishes, it's no surprise that the series as earnedI came into Game of Thrones without knowing anything about it or the books behind it. I only heard about the series from the guys at machinima.com. I'm glad now I bothered to look it up as I have never enjoyed or watched a series quite like this. Each episode is more intense then the last and will leave you swearing at your TV when it finishes, it's no surprise that the series as earned the nick name "Game of Holy F#cks". Do yourself a favor and check it out... there's boobs ;) Expand
  10. May 13, 2011
    I have never read the books, so I thought I might get lost initially - my fears were unfounded however, this show is building something great that's equally brilliant in pace of story and character development.

Every episode gives more insight into the large character pool which is comparable to the excellent 'The Wire'. The depth of the various groups and individuals in Westeros blows me away more each week, and you get glimpses of what each focal character's potential has in store for them... I can only imagine how great this show is for readers of the books.... I really can't say enough about the quality and class of spectacle on show here - 10/10 with a big red cherry on top!
  11. Jun 3, 2013
    Both sex and violence in this show feel forced and over the top with clear intention to attract weirdos and horny teenagers which somehow (together with slow pacing and tone of fillers-probably the trouble with source material) decrease the overall artistic value of this otherwise ambitious and interesting series.
  12. May 15, 2011
    Epic, amazing - hadn't read the books so I went out and bought them all. Making my way through the first one now and there are a few differences - mainly that they have cut some characters, which I guess makes sense as there is a load to remember in the book. I'm wondering now whether I should continue to read past where the show is up to - I think I will, from what I heard it only adds toEpic, amazing - hadn't read the books so I went out and bought them all. Making my way through the first one now and there are a few differences - mainly that they have cut some characters, which I guess makes sense as there is a load to remember in the book. I'm wondering now whether I should continue to read past where the show is up to - I think I will, from what I heard it only adds to the value. This is how fantasy should be done on TV. Expand
  13. May 15, 2011
    Through the first 5 episodes, I have watched A Game Of Thrones unfold much as the source material had done. Thus far, I have agreed with few of the alterations but much of the casting and abridgement. These of course are subjective, as is any criticism. For instance, I noticed early on that nearly every actor appears older than the characters in the book, and I liked this. In such aThrough the first 5 episodes, I have watched A Game Of Thrones unfold much as the source material had done. Thus far, I have agreed with few of the alterations but much of the casting and abridgement. These of course are subjective, as is any criticism. For instance, I noticed early on that nearly every actor appears older than the characters in the book, and I liked this. In such a setting, people would weather and age more quickly than they do in the here and now. Overall, the show has done well capturing the brutal, bare-knuckled style of George RR Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series.

There are those complaining of the nudity, the language, and the male-dominated society, and I wonder at their expectations. The show faithfully translates what a crude and barbaric world the source material describes. Of course, it is based on the European-style medieval times, which were very much like the books and the show. If you tuned into a World War Two movie/show, you should expect to see some awful violence.

More of the criticisms that (to me) seem reactionary and not well examined are those unsatisfied with how the shows compare to the critics' preconceptions of fantasy. Some deride the show for not having enough "proper" fantasy elements, while others feel it is indistinguishable from other fantasy. Interestingly, much of this is based on the first episode. Perhaps both groups might wait before summarily dismissing the project as unsatisfactory?

Fans of the books will probably be satisfied. People who haven't read the source material will probably discover (over time) that this series plumbs depths usually unseen in the genre. Thus far, I see much to like and a little to quibble with.
  14. May 16, 2011
    I've never cared much for fantasy, In fact I'll go as far to say that a lot of the time, I giggle at fantasy geeks, and their fantasy gibberish (oooh, a fancy gold ring that needs to be tossed into a volcano; oooh, a magical world with... dragons?) Granted, I have next to no knowledge when it comes to fantasy, but I love this show. The characters are so polished, and the worlds are soI've never cared much for fantasy, In fact I'll go as far to say that a lot of the time, I giggle at fantasy geeks, and their fantasy gibberish (oooh, a fancy gold ring that needs to be tossed into a volcano; oooh, a magical world with... dragons?) Granted, I have next to no knowledge when it comes to fantasy, but I love this show. The characters are so polished, and the worlds are so intensely immersing, that believing in a world of make believe becomes effortless. Almost as believable of major news networks, maybe even more so... *clears throat*. So bring on the dragons and the magic, I'm so heavily invested in the story that I'll believe it still even if at some point aliens are introduced. Okay, maybe not, so lets keep Mr. Spielberg away from this. Expand
  15. May 19, 2011
    Started with a bang and follows through perfectly. HBO has done the books a great justice. Not too over the top with adult subjects but just enough to pull you into it. The vast amount of background and lead-up knowledge the books provide isn't as much needed as you straight away get an idea of what characters are like. In a make-or-break genre this has come out roaring. We want more!
  16. May 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic Series! The story is simply gripping and it it doesn't separate in good and bad characters, The acting is better with every passing episode. HBO delivers quality yet again! Expand
  17. May 23, 2011
    A great series with fine actors. Depends less on sorcery and special effects and more on the many faults and frailty of human nature. Not afraid to kill off main characters makes it more realistic than most fairy tale, scifi-fantasy shows in TV and Movies. If you want the good guys to win and live happily ever after, this is not the series for you, go watch Twilight or Harry Potter.A great series with fine actors. Depends less on sorcery and special effects and more on the many faults and frailty of human nature. Not afraid to kill off main characters makes it more realistic than most fairy tale, scifi-fantasy shows in TV and Movies. If you want the good guys to win and live happily ever after, this is not the series for you, go watch Twilight or Harry Potter. Makes HBO's. Much better than that high school level crap in True Blood. Hopefully HBO will keep this series and do away with that vampire rubbish. Expand
  18. May 24, 2011
    This series is really something special. Whether or not you enjoy "fantasy" is irrelevant, if you enjoy a great story, outstanding acting, incredible writing, and very high production values......you will love "Game Of Thrones". Watch a couple of episodes.....I DARE you quit watching!
  19. Jun 16, 2011
    Personally i think this is the best TV series i have ever seen. Although it is based on a series of fantasy books it has a certain realism and such a great medieval-like setting that you dont even see on big budget movies. If you haven't read the books like myself, there will be a few references that you may not understand at the beginning. Nothing major though. As the episodes go by youPersonally i think this is the best TV series i have ever seen. Although it is based on a series of fantasy books it has a certain realism and such a great medieval-like setting that you dont even see on big budget movies. If you haven't read the books like myself, there will be a few references that you may not understand at the beginning. Nothing major though. As the episodes go by you get the hang of everything. Till you reach episode 4 you get into the plot and see how things work. On top of everything, there is some top notch acting in it. I recommend it to everyone. Expand
  20. May 24, 2011
    I have not read the books but I find this series to be very entertaining so far and not a Lord of the rings copy that many will probably write it off as when they first hear/see about it. Several things that make this show stand out for me: believable characters with depth and strong acting, a medieval fantasy world with realism (i.e not riddled with magic and trolls being thrown in yourI have not read the books but I find this series to be very entertaining so far and not a Lord of the rings copy that many will probably write it off as when they first hear/see about it. Several things that make this show stand out for me: believable characters with depth and strong acting, a medieval fantasy world with realism (i.e not riddled with magic and trolls being thrown in your face every second), incredible sets and costumes that doesn't completely rely on CGI (how much money did they spend on this show?!), appropriate use of the HBO trifecta (sex, swearing and blood), engaging dialogue that really develops the plot-line and background lore without feeling overwhelmed by detail. I was expecting a show whose entertainment would mostly come from violent sword clashes instead this is simply added in to help drive a politically intertwined fantasy world filled with complex characters. If you have read this far you should have already stopped and started watching this show already. Expand
  21. NKM
    May 27, 2011
    Great job! Characters are great, actors are fantastic. Especially kids and Peter Dinklage. Sean Bean is amazing as always. This series is A MUST. Do not miss it.
  22. May 25, 2011
    So this show is the best show ive ever seen.... The only bad part about it is the fact that i have to wait a week to see the next one :( !!! Looking forward to season two!!
  23. May 25, 2011
    Great show so far, but very in-depth, and kind of tricky to follow with all the families and angles. Have not read the books yet, but do recommend watching the show
  24. May 26, 2011
    I'm a very big fan of the novels. I find it impossible to do better than what HBO did with ASOIAF on TV. Even if the pace is a buit high compared to the books.

Congratulations guys!
  25. May 27, 2011
    This is most definitely the best fantasy show of late. When looking at the user Score of 9.0 it is clear that the show is receiving fantastic feedback from a wide verity of viewers. I for one agree with the positive feedback i have seen here. Well done. TV show quality reaching better and better highs. Congratulations in order for producers & such :)
  26. May 28, 2011
    This show is great. Compare the user rating to the critic rating. Look at the date the critics rated the show. Their ratings are all based off one or maybe two episodes. How can you rate the show off one episode? It's an epic tale with so many parts to it, that one or two shows could never do it justice. The show does stay very true to the books though the way it starts out, I wasThis show is great. Compare the user rating to the critic rating. Look at the date the critics rated the show. Their ratings are all based off one or maybe two episodes. How can you rate the show off one episode? It's an epic tale with so many parts to it, that one or two shows could never do it justice. The show does stay very true to the books though the way it starts out, I was impressed. Just realize this series is not for the faint of heart. Expand
  27. May 28, 2011
    I am a fan of the genre, but I started watching as a skeptic. I was not at all convinced that HBO could create a compelling fantasy property. Boy was I wrong. This series is absolutely blowing me away. The acting is brilliant, the story lines are engaging and sophisticated, and HBO has clearly given everyone involved the creative license to challenge us, appall us, and delight us. If youI am a fan of the genre, but I started watching as a skeptic. I was not at all convinced that HBO could create a compelling fantasy property. Boy was I wrong. This series is absolutely blowing me away. The acting is brilliant, the story lines are engaging and sophisticated, and HBO has clearly given everyone involved the creative license to challenge us, appall us, and delight us. If you are not watching Game of Thrones you are missing the best show on TV bar none. Expand
  28. May 29, 2011
    Watched the first 4 episodes and so far, so excellent. Gripping stuff and great characters. Will be interesting to see how things develop. Impressive that each episode, even more storyline threads are woven in without it becoming confusing or overwhelming. Recommended.
  29. May 30, 2011
    A spectacular presentation of a spectacular fantasy series. The production values are outstanding, the characters richly drawn, and the caste, though largely no names, is terrific.
  30. Jun 1, 2011
    This show blows my mind with each episode. There is a lot going on, plot threads and character development, but it is perfectly put together. Great cast, excellent direction. Not sure I can wait a year for season 2 once season 1 finishes, sadly I have no choice. This series shows that treating the audience as intelligence adults can produce a thought provoking and entertaining program.
  31. Jun 1, 2011
    I love this show, it is intriguing, provocative, entertaining, and enjoyable. It's production is on a massive scale that one has to appreciate. It's also just fun to watch. The story has many subplots that tie into one another that most people should want to watch through to the end.
  32. Jun 6, 2011
    Excellent. The characters are rich, the plot twists and turns nicely. It's good to see something with the political intrigue and sophistication of some of the weightier HBO stuff nicely mixed in with some sword fighting and battles.... One of it's key strengths is building character and giving it all a palpable sense of danger. Plus, all the decent northerners speak with proper northernExcellent. The characters are rich, the plot twists and turns nicely. It's good to see something with the political intrigue and sophistication of some of the weightier HBO stuff nicely mixed in with some sword fighting and battles.... One of it's key strengths is building character and giving it all a palpable sense of danger. Plus, all the decent northerners speak with proper northern England accents like me! A BD purchase too I reckon... Expand
  33. Jun 6, 2011
    An epic achievement!! HBO's game of thrones is transitioned flawlessly straight from Martin's books. Game of Thrones is an excellent Drama existing in a historically rich, gritty world with 3 dimensional characters who live and die in shades of gray.
  34. Jun 9, 2011
    I'm completely hooked on this show. The first few episodes were dense with new character introduction and a touch slow which may throw a few people off early on, but now that its into full swing I'm chomping at the bit every week to watch it.

The acting is great across the board, but the real standout of the show is Peter Dinklage. He does a brilliant job of creating a genuinely complex and real character that you can't help but like.

I recommend it to anyone who likes a real meaty bite of episodic television.
  35. Jun 9, 2011
    I hate to be one of those pretentious people who points out that the original source material is better than the show. In this case, I actually don't have to say that because the writers of the show have tried to stay as faithful as possible while taking some minor creative liberties to occasionally flesh out a character. Where the books do a great job of explaining what a POV character isI hate to be one of those pretentious people who points out that the original source material is better than the show. In this case, I actually don't have to say that because the writers of the show have tried to stay as faithful as possible while taking some minor creative liberties to occasionally flesh out a character. Where the books do a great job of explaining what a POV character is thinking, or what drives them to behave the way they do, the show does lose that because we can't tell what a character is thinking on the show beyond the words that come out of their mouth, and the occasional nuances noted in the faces of the excellent cast. Where was I going with this? I forget... Oh right, the show. It's great. In fact, anyone who doesn't like the show will fall into one (or more) of these categories:

(1) You don't like any semblance of fantasy story telling and you're trying to tear the show a new one by pointing out the fallacies associated with the world of Westeros.
    (2) You are an idiot, who cannot read, write, spell, and you have the attention span of a Michael Bay fanatic, and the lack of explosions and slow motion is making you antsy.
    (3) You are expecting things to move more quickly, which is really surprising if you like any show on HBO. Has anybody here seen the Wire? Talk about slow development, but talk about rewarding. I feel the same is true for Game of Thrones.
    (4) You just are impossible to please. Period.

The casting is exemplar and the acting chops of some of them are downright brilliant. Tyrion? Easily one of my favorite characters. Some of the characters have been made a little older, but that's fine. Certain characters, you love to hate (Cersei, Joffrey), while others you hope will turn out to be less douchey than they initially seem (Renly, Varys). Of course if you have read the books, you know what's coming so you do lose that surprise aspect... Regardless, this is a great show that will reward its viewers (through the excellent story as created by Martin). If you don't have the patience for it though, grab that Transformers 2 DVD and save us all the annoyance of having to read your whining.
  36. Jun 21, 2011
    As a long fan of the books, I had a clear vision of Ned Stark. Obviously, Sean Bean who usually plays a morally weak character shattered that image. I think I gave him a fair chance to fill Ned's shoes yet I have to sadly admit (against the grain it seems) he was so miscast being quite unfamiliar with the landscape of a fully fleshed character carrying Ned Stark's demeanor (lookingAs a long fan of the books, I had a clear vision of Ned Stark. Obviously, Sean Bean who usually plays a morally weak character shattered that image. I think I gave him a fair chance to fill Ned's shoes yet I have to sadly admit (against the grain it seems) he was so miscast being quite unfamiliar with the landscape of a fully fleshed character carrying Ned Stark's demeanor (looking downcast throughout the season and mumbling often does not do Lord Stark justice), and for the fact that he aging badly (you call it hitting the wall). I realize Sean Bean was a vehicle for the show's ratings and for that many if not all benefit. It was an unfortunate necessary sacrifice of the main character of the first season. Expand
  37. Jun 13, 2011
    This is a great show and that is all one really needs to write about it. One could go down into 101 little things that one might not like, but why? Itâ
  38. Jun 14, 2011
    Finally a good book adaption that is very well done. Sean Bean is amazing in his adaption of Eddard Stark, although Peter Dinklage, playing Tyrion Lannister, deserves even the same acknowledgement.
  39. Jun 14, 2011
    I read the book a while ago and didn't really remember all aspects of the story. I re-read it after the first episode on HBO and was amazed at how true the adaptation was to the book! Great scripting, awesome production and amazing acting lead to excellent execution of creating a tv series for the ages. Keep it up HBO! Thanks for having the guts to stick to the book's storyline andI read the book a while ago and didn't really remember all aspects of the story. I re-read it after the first episode on HBO and was amazed at how true the adaptation was to the book! Great scripting, awesome production and amazing acting lead to excellent execution of creating a tv series for the ages. Keep it up HBO! Thanks for having the guts to stick to the book's storyline and capturing the essence of Martin's writing. Expand
  40. Jun 21, 2011
    People who haven't read the books will probably find this show average, maybe even watchable. To fans, however this show is an appalling mess of the worst parts of the book, missed plot points, bad character development, bad acting and forced action. To sum up the eventual train wreck of a plot, the very first episode commits a number of fatal mistakes which brings down GRRM's storyPeople who haven't read the books will probably find this show average, maybe even watchable. To fans, however this show is an appalling mess of the worst parts of the book, missed plot points, bad character development, bad acting and forced action. To sum up the eventual train wreck of a plot, the very first episode commits a number of fatal mistakes which brings down GRRM's story tumbling down like a pack of cards. I wanted to see everything i'd imagined from the books in technicolor glory, but so far it's been disappointing. This show is a dispicable representation of its source material. I guess I had too high expectations for the series. I know they had to omit stuff which is acceptable, but they changed things also. Expand
  41. Jun 21, 2011
  42. Jun 15, 2011
    Great show based on even greater books. By no means is it perfect, but it is quite faithful to the books while still taking liberty to introduce some great new scenes. I have high hopes for the second season to be a great success, and hopefully they will introduce more main characters to kill off in the process.
  43. Jun 15, 2011
    First off I have not read the books. After watching A Game of Thrones I will most definatly will be buying the entire series, what has been released, and will be marking off the calender so I can read through them as fast as I can. Personally this the only TV show that I enjoy watching. If HBO cancels the season, like so many of my favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy seasons have been, they will beFirst off I have not read the books. After watching A Game of Thrones I will most definatly will be buying the entire series, what has been released, and will be marking off the calender so I can read through them as fast as I can. Personally this the only TV show that I enjoy watching. If HBO cancels the season, like so many of my favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy seasons have been, they will be going on my black list, like the scify channel and fox. I see that a lot of users are complaining about the production and plot progression. Just saying that for myself it is entertaining and that is what it all boils down to. Are you entertained? Expand
  44. Jun 20, 2011
    I haven't read the books and maybe that's good. I enjoyed this show and it had very interesting characters and a great storyline. It didn't feel like something epic, however and it never gave me an orgasm, so to speak, it just always came close but never delivered.
  45. Jun 21, 2011
    After two or three episodes of jolting twists and betrayals, the first season of HBO's Game of Thrones came to a (mostly) subdued close last night with dozens of plot threads still left hanging. But you can't really fault the show for that; the season ended almost exactly as the first novel did, covering almost exactly what the novel covered. It is in fact such a faithful adaptation of theAfter two or three episodes of jolting twists and betrayals, the first season of HBO's Game of Thrones came to a (mostly) subdued close last night with dozens of plot threads still left hanging. But you can't really fault the show for that; the season ended almost exactly as the first novel did, covering almost exactly what the novel covered. It is in fact such a faithful adaptation of the books, that long-time fans of George R.R. Martin's series will always know exactly what's going to happen next. For those who haven't read the novels, however, Game of Thrones serves as an excellent introduction to this compelling historical fantasy.

See my full review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-game-of-thrones-season-1.html
  46. Jun 21, 2011
  47. Jun 21, 2011
    I wanted to see everything i'd imagined from the books in technicolor glory, but so far it's been disappointing. This show is a dispicable representation of its source material. I guess I had too high expectations for the series. I know they had to omit stuff which is acceptable, but they changed things also. People who haven't read the books will probably find this show average, maybeI wanted to see everything i'd imagined from the books in technicolor glory, but so far it's been disappointing. This show is a dispicable representation of its source material. I guess I had too high expectations for the series. I know they had to omit stuff which is acceptable, but they changed things also. People who haven't read the books will probably find this show average, maybe even watchable. To fans, however this show is an appalling mess of the worst parts of the book, missed plot points, bad character development, bad acting and forced action. Expand
  48. Jun 15, 2011
    Quando saiu o filme SENHOR DOS ANEIS, a primeira coisa que me veio a cabeça qdo terminei de ver o filme no cinema foi: pq não fizeram uma serie ao invez de um filme? Com a GAME OF THRONES, a coisa começou no caminho certo! Mesmo que pareçam poucos epsódios para uma série, mas devemos lembrar que cadaQuando saiu o filme SENHOR DOS ANEIS, a primeira coisa que me veio a cabeça qdo terminei de ver o filme no cinema foi: pq não fizeram uma serie ao invez de um filme? Com a GAME OF THRONES, a coisa começou no caminho certo! Mesmo que pareçam poucos epsódios para uma série, mas devemos lembrar que cada epsódio tem aproximadamente 1 hora de duração. Está muito bem trabalhado, muito bem adaptado e a produção para essa primeira temporada, foi ótima. Espero que continue assim pra melhor, pois a proxima temporada irá exigir mais da produção. Expand
  49. Jun 21, 2011
  50. Jun 21, 2011
    There is something sinister going on here. HBO is using an existing story/book franchise with an established reputation as some kind of human shield. The culprit holding it at sword-point as they shuffle along for ten hours is a t*ts & as* ratings-grabber. The opening scenes appear to be written by, directed, shot and edited by a completely different crew to the one responsible for theThere is something sinister going on here. HBO is using an existing story/book franchise with an established reputation as some kind of human shield. The culprit holding it at sword-point as they shuffle along for ten hours is a t*ts & as* ratings-grabber. The opening scenes appear to be written by, directed, shot and edited by a completely different crew to the one responsible for the rest of the first episode. Which is probably why I enjoyed the opening. It contained well-executed scenes and a promise of a story with intrigue and action to come. And there ended the budget. From then on, it becomes a domestic family feud soapie with bad dialogue and a story that leaves you drifting off and patting the cat. This costume test of a show is hacked up with laughably gratuitous sex scenes, and we all know what that really means in a program this immature - naked women scenes. Usually prostitutes. HBO loooves prostitutes in their shows - no time wasted introducing superfluous female characters there for one thing - instant boobs and bum shots, and [only] occasional full frontals. Let's not cheapen it. Some of the main actresses tend to pull down the show with the weight of their carefully casted boobs, too. But not very far - it's at no great height to begin with. But at least these actresses get three lines of dialogue and storyline invested in them before it's tops off. And that's just sad. If a show reeeaally is designed to be a camp, sexy ratings vehicle, at least be equal opportunistic. Clearly this is yet another old-fashioned fuddy-duddy-made show with double standards, where only women are portrayed gratuitously and there is a glaringly obvious disorder of sexynudemanphobia. I'll give the creators a tip here - perhaps that's why the sex scenes don't work? You need both/all parties to appear remotely sexy? Let's face it, how many juvenile homophobic males who don't understand that aspects of a show might not be aimed at them can there be? Maybe one day, these shows will grow some balls [pardon the pun], or even better - grow some story and action and lose the crotch altogether. I mean, crutch. Oh I know I've rambled on mostly about the gratuitous sex [naked female] scenes. But really - what else is there to this show? Promotion from an existing book? It's like a bad ad - if the audience can see they're being manipulated, it just doesn't sell. Expand
  51. Jun 17, 2011
    Hands down one the best television shows I have ever seen. Everything from the casting, to the acting, to the directing is of the highest caliber. Although I had never read the books or even heard about them before watching this series, I must say that the author r.r. Martin has woven an epic myth that shines a light on the many facets of the human condition. A modern masterpiece. TheHands down one the best television shows I have ever seen. Everything from the casting, to the acting, to the directing is of the highest caliber. Although I had never read the books or even heard about them before watching this series, I must say that the author r.r. Martin has woven an epic myth that shines a light on the many facets of the human condition. A modern masterpiece. The only thing I don't like about the show is that I am now going to have to wait many month for the next season to begin. Truly brilliant! Expand
  52. Jun 18, 2011
    One of the top fantasy series ever made. The small amount of actual "fantasy" used in the plot should make it easy for non fantasy viewers to get hooked as well.

Full of great actors and a writing team of true Martin fans make me sure this will be a long runner.
  53. Jun 18, 2011
    While not a perfect adaption of the books (Some bits that will be important in later seasons were skipped over for the sake of time) it's pretty damn close. HBOs hand is a bit ever-present with the addition of gratuities not really necessary to the story, but they serve well enough. Overall it's a fairly strong adaption of one of the best book series of all time, making it automaticallyWhile not a perfect adaption of the books (Some bits that will be important in later seasons were skipped over for the sake of time) it's pretty damn close. HBOs hand is a bit ever-present with the addition of gratuities not really necessary to the story, but they serve well enough. Overall it's a fairly strong adaption of one of the best book series of all time, making it automatically heads and shoulders above most things on TV. The biggest advantage this show has is also it's biggest problem for drawing in the viewers, however. It is merciless to it's characters. Whatever should happen in a situation does, no matter the consequences to characters the viewers/readers have come to appreciate. I think this is a strong mark of artistic integrity, but ultimately is largely responsible for a lot of the negative reviews you see, simply because some people are too thick to recognize the quality bucking of a trope that ultimately results in a work of pure genius. Expand
  54. Jun 19, 2011
    Recently, after repeatedly bullying and trolling the site winter is coming, the poster known as the smiling knight was banned from the site. As a retaliation, TSK decided to post here many reviews, and in all of them give the score 0. Check out his reviews. They are all written in the same tone, and all the user names he used have only that single review to them. He also takes care toRecently, after repeatedly bullying and trolling the site winter is coming, the poster known as the smiling knight was banned from the site. As a retaliation, TSK decided to post here many reviews, and in all of them give the score 0. Check out his reviews. They are all written in the same tone, and all the user names he used have only that single review to them. He also takes care to mention winter is coming, so the active members will understand that was an act of revenge. What a douche.

Don't mind him. This show is one of the best thing you can watch on television nowadays.
  55. Jun 21, 2011
    Edit: score changed to 10. Coming from the perspective of someone who hasn't read George R. R. Martin's novels, but who is a massive fan of high-quality TV drama, I have to confess that, for me, Game of Thrones started in an underwhelming way. Not only that, it shows many worrying signs of being a bit of a stinker, in spite of the effort put into its undoubtedly fancy production design.
  56. Jun 19, 2011
    I've read the book and I can say the television stays true to the book. It is amazing how the producers were able to portray the geographical locations in the introduction, the myriad of unique and interesting characters, and combine the separate point of views of characters in a cohesive tapestry. The subtle details whether from facial expressions or the lifestyle of characters provide aI've read the book and I can say the television stays true to the book. It is amazing how the producers were able to portray the geographical locations in the introduction, the myriad of unique and interesting characters, and combine the separate point of views of characters in a cohesive tapestry. The subtle details whether from facial expressions or the lifestyle of characters provide a deeper understanding of George R.R's world. I give this a ten because I could not think of any better fantasy show with mature content and some ounce of realism Expand
  57. Jun 21, 2011
    I watched the entire season. I give it a 2 because there were 2 good episodes of out 10. My friends stopped watching around ep 7 which sucked since the last three episodes are finally 'not completely boring'. They are fans of the book and ubergeek board gamers. Please change score to 10 immediately.
  58. Jun 20, 2011
    Having just watched ep 10, I truly feel this series gets it just right. Acting, production values, plot, intrigue are all in line with the feel and tone of the books. It has been over a decade since I started reading them and watching the series brought all of the major plot points right back as if I had just laid the books down. While the 9th ep is the best of the season, the last oneHaving just watched ep 10, I truly feel this series gets it just right. Acting, production values, plot, intrigue are all in line with the feel and tone of the books. It has been over a decade since I started reading them and watching the series brought all of the major plot points right back as if I had just laid the books down. While the 9th ep is the best of the season, the last one has set up the second season well and I can't wait for next spring. I just hope they plan more than 10 episodes! Expand
  59. Jun 21, 2011
    Given how the book adaptations on screen rarely do justice to the books, and as a huge fan of the books, I must admit that this is possibly the first tv show made from books that is actually superb and does justice to the books (although it is impossible for it to be complete). I love the series, and it is enough to look at the cast to remember that those are the faces that we wereGiven how the book adaptations on screen rarely do justice to the books, and as a huge fan of the books, I must admit that this is possibly the first tv show made from books that is actually superb and does justice to the books (although it is impossible for it to be complete). I love the series, and it is enough to look at the cast to remember that those are the faces that we were picturing while we read the books. The creators and Mr. Martin went that far, yes. Awesome awesome series, maybe even the best and most realistic ever even though it is "fantasy". Expand
  60. Jun 21, 2011
    I have never read the books and I make no plan to read the books. That being said this is one of the best first seasons of a TV show I have ever seen. I considered the Walking Dead season 1 to be the best 1st season i'd ever seen until this show came out and I believe fans of that series will defiantly enjoy this show.
  61. Aug 10, 2011
    such a great show! the first couple of episodes are a little slow but it soon picks up.
    epic characters, great casting, amazing set design and the plot is to die for even though it can be a little confusing at times.
    watch watch watch.
  62. Jun 21, 2011
    As someone who is a fan of the series written by George R. R. Martin, I was worried if TV could really capture the tension and drama and politics of the books, and my goodness, was I amazed. HBO has perfectly created the fantasy world of "A Song of Fire and Ice". All the actors, sets, props, and locations are perfect and nothing is out of place. While actors like Sean Bean, Mark Addy, andAs someone who is a fan of the series written by George R. R. Martin, I was worried if TV could really capture the tension and drama and politics of the books, and my goodness, was I amazed. HBO has perfectly created the fantasy world of "A Song of Fire and Ice". All the actors, sets, props, and locations are perfect and nothing is out of place. While actors like Sean Bean, Mark Addy, and Michelle Fairley do a bang up job of their characters, the real show stealers are the child actors. Not only does Game of Thrones feature one or two child characters, but several, and all of them are fantastic. If I had one bad thing to say about the show, its probably a little difficult to follow if you haven't read the books at first, but doesn't leave anyone behind in the end. I highly recommend this show to anyone looking for action, adventure, drama, and magic. Expand
  63. Jun 22, 2011
    I haven't read the books and skimmed the show. That might be a good thing, or at least interesting to fans to know there are people who haven't read the books actually watched the show. I skimmed over it, all episodes. I mean I did get clues (spoilers) from the internet but only a few. And I have to say, that although I kinda knew what was going to happen, I was still alkmost shocked whenI haven't read the books and skimmed the show. That might be a good thing, or at least interesting to fans to know there are people who haven't read the books actually watched the show. I skimmed over it, all episodes. I mean I did get clues (spoilers) from the internet but only a few. And I have to say, that although I kinda knew what was going to happen, I was still alkmost shocked when I fast forwarded to the beheading scene (there are several). I truly seriously enjoyed this show and it had really very very interesting characters and a no-joke amazing, great, like 'wowzers' great, storyline. Having said that, it didn't feel like something that I could 'die watching', and it never made me jump in the air shouting hurray, per se, but it became so so so so sooooooo close that I got up from the couch and and I put my jumpin' shoes on and I did almost kill myself a few times whenever that actress played Dany spoke. But instead I went to get more pie and ice cream and cookies. Expand
  64. Jun 22, 2011
    EFFIN' WOW!! I couldn't get enough, CANNOT get enough. I can't wait to get blueray and all manners of shwag to promote the show!!!!! Buy everything, so that they can get better dragons next year!! This Game of Thrones is BARNONE the best original TV series pushing the limits of realism, grittycism, and imagery (nudes). The best, goriest, nakedest, most original series since Sporanos. InEFFIN' WOW!! I couldn't get enough, CANNOT get enough. I can't wait to get blueray and all manners of shwag to promote the show!!!!! Buy everything, so that they can get better dragons next year!! This Game of Thrones is BARNONE the best original TV series pushing the limits of realism, grittycism, and imagery (nudes). The best, goriest, nakedest, most original series since Sporanos. In fact, the best series to come along since maybe the Golden Age of Television. Game of Thrones is superb in every way, especially the superb finale which during every second was so incredibly sublime. The series started slowly, like a book going slowly and where there are many words you have to read. But then it sped up, faster and faster and faster to a ridiculous fast speed by the end, and the climactic ending was like fireworks green and red and explosions kaboom in the sky. Baboom! Without a shadow of a doubt the best new series to hit tv in the last decade. I daresay perhaps two decade. Effing wow, man. Expand
  65. Jun 22, 2011
    I was sceptical at first if a fantasy tv show would be the right thing to watch. I had seen many bad examples in my childhood, like xena,... . but soon after starting to watch, the show had my full attention. the show has everything from bloodbath to zombies to sex. can't wait to see the next season.
  66. Jun 24, 2011
    Game of Thrones is a fun fantasy adventure series. It is similar in tone and substance to HBO series like Deadwood, the Wire, and the Sopranos. There are good people, bad people, people who simply will take advantage of circumstances, and so on. In other words, you have the whole broad collection of personalities. The set design, costumes, and special effects are all excellent. TheGame of Thrones is a fun fantasy adventure series. It is similar in tone and substance to HBO series like Deadwood, the Wire, and the Sopranos. There are good people, bad people, people who simply will take advantage of circumstances, and so on. In other words, you have the whole broad collection of personalities. The set design, costumes, and special effects are all excellent. The story arc is not overly complex, but it also isn't overly simplistic. You have a competition and jockeying for power among various noble families. Like with Julius Caesar, or the Prince, you can't say any of the nobles is purely good. But, the morality of the good ones is more follows a code, whereas that of the bad ones follows their own ambition. This show is vastly superior to awful "Madmen", simply because people are more realistic. They are not all egoistic individualists out of some crazy book like "The Fountainhead", instead they display the complex human emotion familiar to us all. It also has roles for both old and very young actors, and a real decent role for a midget rather than simply using him as a prop. Like the Wire it appreciates the aspects of minor characters. The reward for the audience is a fully realized world, that is much more organic and authentic than you would think possible. Considering it is made up world that is quite an achievement. While it is escapist fantasy, like any good drama it takes elements from real life. For example, there is a huge environmental danger looming in the series, a kind of ice age like winter lasting for at least a decade. Global warming is bringing just such a danger to our door in the coming years. Expand
  67. Jun 26, 2011
    This is like the best show ever, but with swords, that is what Game of Thrones is. Like, everyone is so interesting and original. The music is extremely epic. And they did it so well what with the sword and all. I watched this show and everything, and it was like the best ever. Not just the best show ever made, but it is the best show ever made, of all time. You all seriously need to readThis is like the best show ever, but with swords, that is what Game of Thrones is. Like, everyone is so interesting and original. The music is extremely epic. And they did it so well what with the sword and all. I watched this show and everything, and it was like the best ever. Not just the best show ever made, but it is the best show ever made, of all time. You all seriously need to read the books, and the comics, especially if you are willing to invest this much and even more time in the show and websites, and books--you could also invest with money not just time. Buy the t-shirts. I don't understand many of the disappointments expressed, because they are meaningless to me, but I'm telling you all this is the best show ever. The show's just getting started. Anybody under 40 years old ever read "Dune"? If you take a look at the books, they are thousands of pages there! Game of Thrones has only showed the tip of the iceberg for this book. And the book shows the tip of the iceberg of the story. The show has been very faithful to the story, the story has been faithful to the imagined events. But you will find a better understanding of events if you buy miniatures. The books will make you appreciate the show less, but at least you will know more about the story. Expand
  68. Jun 27, 2011
    I have read the book and been a captive of the series since 1987, I'm pleased to see the the characters fleshed out before me on screen. My one complaint is that 1 hour doesn't seem long enough. Although the characters and some scenes are different then how I envisioned them GRRM involvement in the project alleviates any issues I may have. Bravo
  69. Jun 27, 2011
    I have read the books. This is an excellent adaptation. I have been dissapointed by adaptations of some of my favorite book series in the past (sword of truth, Eragon). This started a bit slow, but then so did the books, and there was a lot of explaining to do because Martins world is so complex. It is one reason I was looking forward to this show but did not expect it to do the booksI have read the books. This is an excellent adaptation. I have been dissapointed by adaptations of some of my favorite book series in the past (sword of truth, Eragon). This started a bit slow, but then so did the books, and there was a lot of explaining to do because Martins world is so complex. It is one reason I was looking forward to this show but did not expect it to do the books justice because he has so many vibrant characters. This show though, is very very good. None of my friends have the read the books, but I have watched it through with 9 different people in 3 different groups, they all love it. I am so glad they killed Ned Stark, he was pitch perfect but I was afraid they would wimp out and keep him alive, but the writers did the right thing and stayed true to the books. I am going to have trouble waiting for season two. Expand
  70. Jun 28, 2011
    I have read the books and I have seen the show. I am here to report good news, that the show is good. The actors are good. The story is good. The sets are good. HMmm. Well, it's good, there you have it. It's not just a show for fantasy fans, also for normal people. I liked it and I am a girl. HBO is so great. I want to buy Game of Thrones on DVD and Blu-Ray. And T-Shirts. Also people whoI have read the books and I have seen the show. I am here to report good news, that the show is good. The actors are good. The story is good. The sets are good. HMmm. Well, it's good, there you have it. It's not just a show for fantasy fans, also for normal people. I liked it and I am a girl. HBO is so great. I want to buy Game of Thrones on DVD and Blu-Ray. And T-Shirts. Also people who didn't like it are trolls, you should ignore them. Expand
  71. Jun 30, 2011
    An enthralling new series from HBO that had me on the edge of my seat literally every episode. With betrayal, deception & violence running wild in Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, there's lots of characters to follow who are all interlinked and wish to seize the Iron Throne in their own unique way. I never read the books prior to watching the first season but on the basis of this fantastic newAn enthralling new series from HBO that had me on the edge of my seat literally every episode. With betrayal, deception & violence running wild in Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, there's lots of characters to follow who are all interlinked and wish to seize the Iron Throne in their own unique way. I never read the books prior to watching the first season but on the basis of this fantastic new show, I shall be purchasing them all to read ahead! Already one of HBO's finest works since the Sopranos. Expand
  72. Jun 30, 2011
    Game of Thrones has the optimal mix of suspense, drama, and action. Perfectly executed screen play and brilliant writing constantly leaves you begging for more.
  73. Jul 1, 2011
    While awake, I almost soiled my pants because of the show. The chase scenes were frankly the most telling. I drinked vodka everytime Sean Bean passed gas. The show is great and you might get depressed.
  74. Mae
    Jul 1, 2011
    I'm tired of people saying this is the best show since Sopranos. This show is so much better than Sopranos. Sopranos was super weak. Half of that show was talking to a shrink the other half was in a topless bar. Game of THrones is so much better than that. It has castles and dragons. There's this scene where the knight chops his own horse's head off with a sword!! Game of Thrones it drawsI'm tired of people saying this is the best show since Sopranos. This show is so much better than Sopranos. Sopranos was super weak. Half of that show was talking to a shrink the other half was in a topless bar. Game of THrones is so much better than that. It has castles and dragons. There's this scene where the knight chops his own horse's head off with a sword!! Game of Thrones it draws you in and then it makes you care about the people a lot. Except Sean Bean lollllll Expand
  75. Jul 3, 2011
    An admirable visual rendition of the books. It's about as good as it gets on a conversion to the tv screen. The characters retain their depth and the plot is well and alive in the show. It's not something that is not common place on television in the 21st century. The real attraction of the show comes in the fact that it actually draws you in, so that someone that knows nothing of theAn admirable visual rendition of the books. It's about as good as it gets on a conversion to the tv screen. The characters retain their depth and the plot is well and alive in the show. It's not something that is not common place on television in the 21st century. The real attraction of the show comes in the fact that it actually draws you in, so that someone that knows nothing of the original IP really wants to keep watching. The quality of the show is indicated in the ever increasing numbers Game of Thrones saw as it progressed. I hope that the show can be as good in the second season as it was in the first, and that it will progress through the excellent novels that George R. R. Martin tenders to us. Expand
  76. Jul 5, 2011
    I've read all the books of the "Songs of Ice and Fire" series, and it's one of those stories that you're reading and get to a point and yell and throw the book across the room, angry about what the author did. But that's part of it's charm as well. The series stuck very close to the book, and even explained some things that I could never understand from the novels. If you're looking forI've read all the books of the "Songs of Ice and Fire" series, and it's one of those stories that you're reading and get to a point and yell and throw the book across the room, angry about what the author did. But that's part of it's charm as well. The series stuck very close to the book, and even explained some things that I could never understand from the novels. If you're looking for a great story, with great characters and unexpected twists, you need to check out this show. Expand
  77. Jul 5, 2011
    This HBO show really did it for me. It filled a whole in my heart that was created there by another TV show that was cancelled. Now I am happy again, and I can keep my chin high. I look forward to the sun rising. I sleep better. And I have excellent health. Thank you HBO!
  78. Jul 8, 2011
    The pilot episode alone had me hooked on this series, and got me into reading the novels despite not having had time to read a good book for years. The TV show is quite true to the novels, changing some parts slightly and removing some arcs of the storyline in order to make it progress faster or to show more skin (it is HBO after all). While it is a shame that the overall length of theThe pilot episode alone had me hooked on this series, and got me into reading the novels despite not having had time to read a good book for years. The TV show is quite true to the novels, changing some parts slightly and removing some arcs of the storyline in order to make it progress faster or to show more skin (it is HBO after all). While it is a shame that the overall length of the first season is made shorter by the adaption, it certainly makes for better television. Of course, having a good script isn't everything; the acting is splendid and the outdoor shots are very well done. Expand
  79. Jul 11, 2011
    Speaking for myself I love the show buckets. I have not read the books and I love the show buckets. I have not read the books and I love the show buckets. The show is fantastic! I didn't know it was possible to make a tv show so good. It's incredible. I have died and gone to heaven. This show is so great, I watch it over and over again, reruns and all. I love this show buckets.
  80. Apr 19, 2012
    I love history, but most history book are boring to read. But this, this is what history should be, granted its a fantasy novel turned into a HBO show but wow, i wish all History Channels shows were like this. Awesome storyline, wonderful acting and just an overall nice looking piece of art! Go check it out if you haven't already and prepare to be hooked!!
  81. Jul 13, 2011
    I just watched the last episode. Two ending episodes was a roller-coaster of emotions. I was hooked from the first episode to the last, and now i am hungry for more. At the moment it feels too hard to wait the season 2. I truly can`t recommend this show enough. One of the best, all-time, for me! Great cast, awesome story, cruel game of thrones.
  82. May 28, 2012
    As a fan of the books, I can honestly say this is a great transition from book to screen. The acting is very, very good. The show might be a little slow at some points, but if you stick around, the show gets very exciting. The only complaint I have is that It doesnt seem as epic and grand of scale as it could, and the action seems very unnatural and coordinated.
  83. Jul 18, 2011
    One of the best TV dramas made in years. Excellent characters, great suspense, the only thing that pushes it from 10 to 9 is the obvious lack of a proper budget for the first season. Hopefully the second season will ride on the success of the first one and become truly great :)
  84. Aug 8, 2011
    Well I for once have not even looked at the books, heck I got to know about the books after I finished the first season and was hungry looking for more episodes. Sadly, the next episodes won't be coming anytime soon. Game of Thrones is a fascinating display of how power is distributed between rich houses, such as the Starks. In the series there will be drama, action, mystery, and I don'tWell I for once have not even looked at the books, heck I got to know about the books after I finished the first season and was hungry looking for more episodes. Sadly, the next episodes won't be coming anytime soon. Game of Thrones is a fascinating display of how power is distributed between rich houses, such as the Starks. In the series there will be drama, action, mystery, and I don't know what else. It has a touch of fiction of course, fantastic display of myths, creatures and original fantasy development. In short words, I like it. Expand
  85. Jul 22, 2011
    Definitely one of HBO best series. Incredible plot with terrific acting. A lot happens in each episode. The show has a lot of gore and has a complicated plot (if you haven't read the book), because there are so many different characters. Sometimes I had to read recaps to understand some of the details in the beginning, but this is a show worth sticking with.
  86. Jul 23, 2011
    Hadn't even heard of the books, but when I saw Sean Bean was in it I thought I'd give it a watch (Sky Atlantic HD is such a great channel). I was hooked from the start, great characters and storyline, I find it a little odd that all the characters sound like they could be my neighbours even though its an American programme, but I'll get over it, can't wait for the next series!
  87. Aug 30, 2011
    Best Show Ever! Such deep, round characters...each one with different allegiances and motivations, some caught in their circumstances, others rebellious of theirs. I often say about shows with kids in them, it can only be as good as the kids are(great ones modern family, married with children, etc). Game of Thrones has awesome kids, Anya and Sansa are brilliant. I dont wanna get intoBest Show Ever! Such deep, round characters...each one with different allegiances and motivations, some caught in their circumstances, others rebellious of theirs. I often say about shows with kids in them, it can only be as good as the kids are(great ones modern family, married with children, etc). Game of Thrones has awesome kids, Anya and Sansa are brilliant. I dont wanna get into too many spoilers, so I will say this, watch and pay attention(so you can follow all the relationships) and you will be rewarded by a deep, intelligent, suspenseful show. I want to single out some acting but it is literally all magnificent, beautifully shot too. i am going to rewatch again... Expand
  88. Jul 30, 2011
    I was slightly skeptical about this show's ability to realise anything as ambitious as Martin's vast fantasy world on a TV budget, however large. Yet here it is: every penny spent with wit and panache. The week of waiting between episodes became almost physically painful. Yes, there's quite a bit of nudity (I haven't heard so much prudish wailing in years) but sex sells and there's a greatI was slightly skeptical about this show's ability to realise anything as ambitious as Martin's vast fantasy world on a TV budget, however large. Yet here it is: every penny spent with wit and panache. The week of waiting between episodes became almost physically painful. Yes, there's quite a bit of nudity (I haven't heard so much prudish wailing in years) but sex sells and there's a great deal of exploitative and cruel sexuality in the books. The script is tight and gripping, the sets astonishing, the acting of the highest level (with every part filled by some RADA luminary like Julian Glover or Aiden Gillan). The children are to be singled out for praise; both Arya and Bran are wonderful, and Joffrey is possibly the most loathesome person under 18 ever to appear on film or TV (Draco Malfoy is an angel by comparison with this little serpent). And Peter Dinkage. Lovely Peter Dinkage as the louche, drawling, smirking, boozing, wenching, witty, shifty, ironic, scheming and fundamentally decent Tyrion Lannister. If everyone else wasn't so excellent, I'd miss him the moment he disappears from the screen. Thankfully, the show shares that amazing quality that the books have; every story thread is as gripping and enchanting as the next. BACK to King's Landing. BACK to the Wall. Back to Winterfell. BACK to Pentos. The reader and now the viewer just keeps gettign fed course after course of the swiftest, gutsiest political fantasy I've ever seen. The tital sequence alone is enough to give me gooseflesh now. In my opinion, TV just got better than the movies. Expand
  89. Aug 6, 2011
    Disclaimer: I've been a fan of the novels for years.

HBO's "Game of Thrones" is a medium fantasy epic focused upon the interactions, relationships, and political intrigues of the upper echelons of the nobility of the kingdom of Westeros, particularly the Starks, Lannistesr, Baratheons, and Targaryens. Now, the the review itself. The show's greatest strength is the strong performances of
    Disclaimer: I've been a fan of the novels for years.

Now, the the review itself. The show's greatest strength is the strong performances of its leads. In particular, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister and Sean Bean as Eddard Stark both provide stellar performances every episode without fail. Also, Maisle Williams as Arya Stark gives a performance that is on par with Dakota Fanning's better moment. The characters all feel very real and human, with no pure angels or demons. Furthermore, it is probably the best adaptation of a fantasy series to date, staying closer to the spirit of the books while altering the presentation to fit the new medium than either the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter films. The costuming and make-up are top notch, and the action scenes are realistically choreographed and expertly filmed.

It is not perfect, though. Notably, the dense plot and world building fill the first few episodes with expository dialog. Several sex scenes are extraneous and distract from the plot. The external shots of the Dothraki don't feature enough extras and make the khalasar feel small. A few plot points were given foreshadowing that should have been much more subtle.

All said, if you enjoy complex tales of intrigue, revenge, sex, and war, you should give this show a try. Even if you don't normally like fantasy, the strong performances and terrific aesthetics will likely make you want to continue watching. One major caveat is that this is certainly not a show that is appropriate for children, the prudish, or the squeamish. For adults that desire entertainment with realistic characters, complex plots, and intellectually engaging themes, this is certainly a very strong contender.

Finally, some background on the setting and plot. The seasons of the world portrayed last for years. Years of spring and summer, filled with beautiful weather and bountiful harvests, followed by years of fall and winter, when famine reigns and the ground is shrouded in near constant darkness and buried beneath 40' of snow. The continent of Westeros (about the same size as South America) is bordered to the south and west by huge oceans, to the north by a 700'x30'x1000 mile wall of ice (called The Wall), and is separated from the eastern, Asia-sized continent of Essos by a narrow sea. Backstory: Westeros was once comprised of many independent kingdoms that were founded by the First Men, who worship nameless nature gods at huge white trees into which they carve faces. Subsequent migrations from the east saw the kingdoms of the First Men conquered by invaders, with the sole exception of the North. First came the Andals, who fled the expansion of the Rhoynar empire, and whose worship of the Seven bears strong resemblance to medieval Catholicism. Then the Rhoynar settled southern Westeros (Dorne) to escape the expansion of the Valyrian Freehold. Meanwhile, Valyria controlled dragons and used them to conquer Essos. Then Valyria collapsed in a cataclysm. The western regions of Essos were divided among 9 city-states (the Free Cities) that were former Valyrian colonies (think Renaissance Italy). The grasslands of central Essos became controlled by the Dothraki tribes (think Mongols). In the narrow sea between the two continent is the island of Dragonstone, which was a Valyrian colony lead by the Targaryens. After Valyria collapsed, they had the last three living dragons in the world, and use them to conquer Westeros.

The realms of Westeros and their lords, now vassals of House Targaryen from the Iron Throne in the city of King's Landing : The Northlands, lead by House Stark from Winterfell; The Riverlands, lead by House Tully from Riverrun; The Vale of Arryn, lead by House Arryn from the Eyrie; The Stormlands, lead by House Baratheon (founded by an illegitimate son of Aegon Targaryen) from Storm's End; The Reach, ruled by House Tyrell from Highgarden; The Iron Islands, ruled by House Greyjoy from Pike; and Dorne, ruled by House Martell of Sunspear. 15 years before the show, the Targaryens were deposed in a rebellion lead by Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark, and Jon Arryn. The two remaining Targaryens (both children) fled to the Free Cities. Robert was crowned king and married Cersei Lannister, Jon Arryn became Hand of the King (basically prime minister), and Eddard went back to Winterfell. The show begins just after Jon Arryn dies amid suspicious circumstances and King Robert is coming north with his family and entourage to ask Eddard to serve as his new Hand, amidst the plots and intrigues of the court. Meanwhile, Viserys and Daenerys Targaryen plot to retake the throne. And north of the wall is a dangerous supernatural threat that nobody is prepared to face.
  90. Oct 29, 2011
    A testament to the George R.R. Martin series of Books and keeps the viewer begging for more. With tantalizing plot twists and a fantasy background of a society not unlike our own will keep any fan of the books or just about any fan of fantasy glued to their seats. Well produced with regards to their small budget and overall a great cast. A must watch for any person who wishes to beA testament to the George R.R. Martin series of Books and keeps the viewer begging for more. With tantalizing plot twists and a fantasy background of a society not unlike our own will keep any fan of the books or just about any fan of fantasy glued to their seats. Well produced with regards to their small budget and overall a great cast. A must watch for any person who wishes to be enveloped by an increasing story and it's only the first season!!! Expand
  91. Aug 16, 2011
    I would say that the episodes gained speed towards the end of its first season. Since its HBO, there is enough brutality, blood and boobs for 'mature' audiences. But as a few say, the plot line is a bit tacky (although imaginative) and the characters can be a bit repetitive. The whole 'Fantasy' genre is maybe pushing this on a bit too much - seems more like your average middle-agedI would say that the episodes gained speed towards the end of its first season. Since its HBO, there is enough brutality, blood and boobs for 'mature' audiences. But as a few say, the plot line is a bit tacky (although imaginative) and the characters can be a bit repetitive. The whole 'Fantasy' genre is maybe pushing this on a bit too much - seems more like your average middle-aged people and freaks than a 'fantasy' cast as such. BUT, this is coming from only a TV viewer as I have not read any of the Series. I would imagine the books are much better than the TV as TV/Movies has a hard time breaking the believable Fantasy barrier except for maybe L.O.T.R. Everything else seems like a cheap knock-off sometimes. Ironic how this genre of books and TV has exploded since The Trilogy (not to say they weren't great before ... but it LOTR definitely helped get viewers). In general, good stuff and good entertainment. Expand
  92. Aug 16, 2011
    I think if you are going to evaluate this show, you should see the first entire season. This is because the long-term story arc is one of its strengths. Unlike a lot of other dramas these days (Mad Men, I'm looking at you), which often feel to me like the writers are making the story up as they go along, especially after the first episode, Game of Thrones feels as if there is a coherentI think if you are going to evaluate this show, you should see the first entire season. This is because the long-term story arc is one of its strengths. Unlike a lot of other dramas these days (Mad Men, I'm looking at you), which often feel to me like the writers are making the story up as they go along, especially after the first episode, Game of Thrones feels as if there is a coherent linear plot-progression from episode to episode. This may be because it is based on a series of books. Whatever the reason, I like that there is a consistency and logical continuity to the series, and the plot twists and turns are smart and clever, not random and insulting, and you will often be genuinely shocked at the surprises. Another strength of this show is the acting. Much has been said of the actor who plays The Imp, and he is indeed a highlight of the show. But all of the acting is quite good. I give it a 9 and not a 10 because there are a few things I don't like about the show, although they are minor and admittedly, might be peculiar to me and my tastes. One is that this is a VERY dark show. Now, I don't mind dark, but this is show will leave even the most jaded cynic a bit put off. Characters vary here from, at best, flawed, to, at worst, sociopathically black-hearted, with the latter outnumbering the former by a heavy margin. For this reason, the show can be a bit heavy if you are not in a particularly depressed mood that day. Also, again, I am no shrinking violet, but this show sets new benchmarks (high or low is a matter of taste) in violence and nudity. In this way, I may be showing my age, but I do lament the passing of the days when severed heads were just shown in silhouette, and sex could be suggested by a fade out during a kiss. Now, we have to see the bloody head held up, blood and dangling tendons and all. However, this is still an engrossing show that I am thoroughly addicted to. Expand
  93. Aug 19, 2011
    Honestly; I watched the first episode and had to pause every 2 minutes to search who was connected to who and then I said: I`ll read the book first. And this show justifies that book entirely, it has all the drama, comical notes, political games, backstabbing, jousting that George R.R. Martin so perfectly describes.
    The actors do an amazing job of developing their own characters and help
    The actors do an amazing job of developing their own characters and help evolve this magical world to something realistic on screen.

The only negative aspect I would name is that due to budget restraints they were unable to show the magnificent battles and only talked about them. This is however a minor point that shouldn`t stop you from watching this brilliant show.
  94. Aug 30, 2011
    This show is awesome. I am a big fan of the books and the adaptation is really perfect, actually better than i thought it could be. The cast is just perfect, The young actors are really good (Maisie Williams!), Peter Dinklage is perfect for his character, so are Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey... well the entire cast is. I have watched each episode twice and several friends of mine are now hugeThis show is awesome. I am a big fan of the books and the adaptation is really perfect, actually better than i thought it could be. The cast is just perfect, The young actors are really good (Maisie Williams!), Peter Dinklage is perfect for his character, so are Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey... well the entire cast is. I have watched each episode twice and several friends of mine are now huge fans of the show too. Expand
  95. Aug 28, 2011
    Well, its certainly not the most original story in terms of plot, thematics, or mythology, which will make people judge it far more harshly than it deserves. It has wonderful costumes, effects, and music. The "Wall" is my favorite visual spectacle in the whole show. Its fairly lusty, with frequent sex and nudity, though if anything it cuts out sex scenes from the books. The actors areWell, its certainly not the most original story in terms of plot, thematics, or mythology, which will make people judge it far more harshly than it deserves. It has wonderful costumes, effects, and music. The "Wall" is my favorite visual spectacle in the whole show. Its fairly lusty, with frequent sex and nudity, though if anything it cuts out sex scenes from the books. The actors are strong, and you may recognize them from other series. So if you're looking for something groundbreakingly new and different, you're not gonna find it, its a pretty standardly written fantasy novel. However, think about the 90% of fantasy novels and television shows that are unwatchable drivel. I assure you, this show is very watchable. Expand
  96. Sep 4, 2011
    I am not a big fantasy nor historical watcher, but Game of Thrones "got" me from the first show. I got the book after the season finale and liked it very much (boy, are these books long!). I have already read the second book and looking forward to book 3.
  97. Sep 27, 2011
    A smart, well acted show that offers the viewer just about everything that he/she could ever want. Captivating story, beautiful cinematography, loads of 3 dimensional characters makes for one of the best shows on tv.
  98. Oct 13, 2011
    Brilliant Photography, Brilliant Scenarios ( it's just mesmerizing). Brilliant Storyline & Storytelling . Brilliant Cast. Without starting to describe each and every detail of this 10 episode tv show, i can only say; THIS is how you make a successfull tv show. Congratulations HBO, you've done it again.
  99. May 22, 2012
    I had never read the books, but had heard people talking of this show. Once I started watching, I could not stop. Practically every character in this show is engaging and interesting, even if you don't like them (Cercei, Joffrey, etc.). Tyrion is a fascinating character as well as Arya. I found following each individual storyline quite easy, even when there is so many of them. The scriptI had never read the books, but had heard people talking of this show. Once I started watching, I could not stop. Practically every character in this show is engaging and interesting, even if you don't like them (Cercei, Joffrey, etc.). Tyrion is a fascinating character as well as Arya. I found following each individual storyline quite easy, even when there is so many of them. The script and acting appeal to me and I truly don't see any flaws in this show as of yet. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Apr 25, 2011
    The epic fantasy series is lavish, violent and often quite nasty. Most crucially, this adaptation of George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" book series is unnecessarily difficult to follow.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 18, 2011
    The gloriously bloody and depraved spirit of the novels is intact and even enhanced.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 18, 2011
    A grand soap opera of epic proportions, Game of Thrones can be a bit talky in some episodes, but the series draws a viewer in with well-defined characters and a multitude of simultaneous stories whose plot turns are generally unpredictable.