• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 4, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
8.9

1. Jun 20, 2013
    Mikkelsen and Dancy work wonders together as Hannibal and Grant and their supporting cast is solid as well. I love the mind games that Hannibal has played with Grant through out the season and each episode is as sick and twisted (in a good way) as the next. I absolutely can not wait until season 2.
  2. Jun 24, 2014
    God I love this show and this show gets away so much being on NBC. Bryan Fuller does everything right with this disturbing and twisted show. Everything is so refined and amazing.
  3. May 3, 2013
    UPDATE: Started little slow, but now with episode 7, things are getting "real". One of the few shows, that makes me want to watch every week really bad!!! The actors are getting better with every episode (so they characters develop nicely). Wonderful!…
  4. Apr 6, 2013
    Hands down, the best new series of this year so far! Hannibal has that certain element that makes me want to keep watching it. The writing is brilliant, strong and compelling when handled by the characters. I was worried how Mads Mikkelsen would handle his character but now I must say that I'm completely satisfied because justice has been done. Another thing, maybe more important is HughHands down, the best new series of this year so far! Hannibal has that certain element that makes me want to keep watching it. The writing is brilliant, strong and compelling when handled by the characters. I was worried how Mads Mikkelsen would handle his character but now I must say that I'm completely satisfied because justice has been done. Another thing, maybe more important is Hugh Dancy and his character Will Graham. Dancy has carried it out extremely well, gives you that feeling of loneliness and anxiety he goes through. He's done quite a great job in the pilot episode and he was better than Mikkelsen. The entire cast is compelling and Bryan Fuller has made the right choice by selecting them. Hats off to Fuller for developing this series and many thanks to NBC for ordering a complete season. I can easily say that Hannibal is better and stronger than Fox's The Following and A&E's Bates Motel and I have only watched Hannibal's first episode yet. Expand
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    Hannibal, unlike other shows on television, isn't afraid to be different from everything else on free-to-air networks. It is impeccably executed, featuring some of the best, if not the best, cinematography on television - along with fantastic writing and a chilling and eerie soundtrack by Brian Reitzell. The series is also an incredibly moody one, with plenty of disturbing and grotesqueHannibal, unlike other shows on television, isn't afraid to be different from everything else on free-to-air networks. It is impeccably executed, featuring some of the best, if not the best, cinematography on television - along with fantastic writing and a chilling and eerie soundtrack by Brian Reitzell. The series is also an incredibly moody one, with plenty of disturbing and grotesque imagery that many television series nowadays try to avoid. The characters are fantastically written and they feel realistic - the acting also is brilliant, especially from the lead cast members, Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen, who convey realism and humanity to their characters - also the chemistry between them is fantastic. Season 1 overall is pure brilliance; an underrated gem that deserves more recognition and I certainly hope the series continues for a long time. Expand
  6. Jul 27, 2014
    For many fans of the Hannibal Lechter films, the jury is still out on the new TV show, Hannibal. While the ratings have been passable, when you ask people what they think of the show, most will tell you they haven't seen it yet. If NBC would put more money into advertising and let it stream on Netflix, I have little doubt that this will be a top ten show.

People are hesitant to watch a

People are hesitant to watch a Lechter story without the legendary Anthony Hopkins, however once you get into the story, you will see that this isn't a problem. The series takes place in between the events of Hannibal Rising and Red Dragon, featuring Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) in his prime, as the FBI's top profiler. As seen in the opening scene of Red Dragon, Graham got help solving his cases from the world renowned psychologist, Dr. Hannibal Lechter (Mads Mikkelsen). The series focuses on this relationship, with Graham, who of course is in the dark over who Lechter really is. Lechter serves as a calming element in the vary chaotic and troubled life of Graham, and also plays the intermediary between Graham and his boss, Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne). This dynamic allows the FBI to solve some of the most heinous serial crimes they've been faced with.

For those of you still hesitant about watching this series, a few things to keep in mind. The same writers, producers, and directors who worked on the four films are behind this series. There are frequent references to all the films, and points where they actually clear up plot holes from the films. That alone should be enough to get people interested, but what really brings the story to the same level as the film series is Hugh Dancy as Will Graham.

Will Graham is a much deeper character than we came to know in Red Dragon. He is extremely complicated and as it turns out, not all that different from Lechter. Hugh Dancy, a veteran of a lot of bad movies, stars and is tremendous. Award shows are notorious for ignoring performances in series that feature gore and violence, but if anyone deserves an Emmy for best actor it his him. Dancy regularly gives a performance that is the best I've seen in a TV show since Breaking Bad. He really is that good.

Mads Mikkelsen is also terrific as Dr. Lechter. I wasn't sure how a French guy known for B-movies would do taking on the epic character of Hannibal Lechter, but he has shown all the class, humor, and madness of the legendary character. Finally, Laurence Fishburne rounds out the cast as the only big name involved in the project. He plays the boss, Jack Crawford, and is very important as the man who brought Graham and Lechter together. In my opinion, Fishburne is the perfect choice as he's cold, emotionless, and deeply focused on on thing, getting the job done.

You don't know most of the actors, but you know the characters. The cast of Hannibal is outstanding and will give you the chance to see your favorite characters in a whole other light. I love the Lechter films and was hesitant about watching this show myself. I didn't want to tarnish my view of the characters or the films, but this series is the missing companion piece that fills in the holes and gives you an all new appreciation for Lechter.
  7. Apr 26, 2013
    I would have rated this show a 7 after the first two episodes but it has grown just a bit creepier now that the characters are more developed. There are some 'horror' type scenes but it is the stuff that you don't see, that is implied, that really sells it. Very good show, I'd say unique as well.
  8. Apr 4, 2013
    And I thought The Following was graphic! Man the stuff they can get away with now days on television is incredible. No complaints from this guy. Beautifully brutal. Hugh Dancy gives a great performance in the pilot. Superb acting all around.
  9. May 7, 2013
    I have to confess I tuned into this show only for Mads Mikkelsen. I saw the first episode and felt it was okay but I am slowly getting into it especially with the end of episode 6. Well, that's when thing started getting really interesting. My Mads is straight up sick in the head and I'm loving it truly loving it. The madness, the graphic nature of the crimes, the deception and subterfugeI have to confess I tuned into this show only for Mads Mikkelsen. I saw the first episode and felt it was okay but I am slowly getting into it especially with the end of episode 6. Well, that's when thing started getting really interesting. My Mads is straight up sick in the head and I'm loving it truly loving it. The madness, the graphic nature of the crimes, the deception and subterfuge with Hannibal is just brilliant. I am really excited to see where this show takes us because I will be front and center--wide eyed and all wanting and anticipating the next sick and twisted turn. Oh yeah the other characters are good too especially the profiler (Hugh Dancy). He brings such a raw and graphic intensity especially when he explores the mind of each killer. He is definitely an interesting and most vulnerable of all the characters because of his own frailty/fragility. Expand
  10. May 24, 2013
    First off, this television program is marginally better than the films which preceded it. Hannibal (2001), Red Dragon (2002) and the god-awful Hannibal Rising (2006) don't come close to this series when it comes to intelligence, charisma and charm. This series follows Will Graham (played masterfully by Hugh Dancy here) as he is brought back into the FBI for a series of cases by JackFirst off, this television program is marginally better than the films which preceded it. Hannibal (2001), Red Dragon (2002) and the god-awful Hannibal Rising (2006) don't come close to this series when it comes to intelligence, charisma and charm. This series follows Will Graham (played masterfully by Hugh Dancy here) as he is brought back into the FBI for a series of cases by Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne). Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen) assists him in these cases and also acts as his unofficial psychiatrist.
    Laurence Fishburne plays his part brilliantly, and is the best Crawford we have seen thus far. Mads Mikkelsen provides an astonishing performance as the charming and sophisticated cannibalistic serial killer Hannibal Lecter. However, the stand-out performance of the lot is that of Hugh Dancy as Will Graham. Dancy seems to be playing to his strengths here, and fulfills the role perfectly, turning the character into his own. While the Graham in previous incarnations was simply haunted by his past in the FBI, Dancy turns the character into a sort of autistic savant.
    Dancy's character is sort of fun to watch. Sleepwalking, channeling his nightmares and feelings about the criminals he has to deal with through the ownership of an absurd number of dogs, and his diminishing mental state as the show progresses. His relationship with Lecter, and that with Abigail Hobbs, the daughter of serial killer Garret Jacob Hobbs, who Graham killed, make the character come to life. Most of the habits of Dancy's character come straight from the writings of Thomas Harris, such as his love of dogs, but otherwise it is all Dancy's intuition and his transforming of the character into his own creation.
    Let's not limit this to Dancy's performance, however. All of them were astonishing, from Laurence Fishburne's portrayal of Jack Crawford, to Mads Mikkelsen's performance as Hannibal Lecter. This has to be one of the best Lecter performances, only behind that of Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. Mikkelsen lends himself perfectly to the role, and he doesn't disappoint. The characters, and indeed the actors, all fulfill their roles perfectly, and the casting is magnificent.
    Some, mainly those who don't enjoy horror or splatter films, will probably be put off by this film and it's level of horrific violence. You will see people impaled on antlers, with the flesh cut from their backs and spread out, and having their limbs removed while they are alive. In the event that you feel put off by this sort of thing, you should probably abandon the show immediately. However, all shows are aimed at a certain kind of audience. I don't like True Blood because of the fact that it plays out more like a soap opera than an actual TV show, but some people love it for the same reasons. I love Game of Thrones, but some would be put off by it's graphic scenes of sex and violence. Same here.
    All in all, this show is magnificent. All of the acting is done brilliantly and to it's full effect, and it's as enjoyable as ever. Though it cannot appeal to everyone, nothing can, and it thrives on what it does do, so I do believe this show should continue for another season. I hope the ratings agree with me.
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    Brilliantly shot, creepy, refined, dark, good ending to season one. A little bit out there, and slightly hard to follow, high hopes for seasons going forward.
  12. Apr 19, 2013
    Most certainly the best show this year. Extremely well thought out, great performances, what else do you need? Watch out for this one it's bound to attract a wider audience very quickly.
  13. Jan 16, 2014
    Although it is understandable that some people may be thrown off by the violence in this series, it is very easy to miss the great dialogue (emotionally engaging and intellectually stimulating) and the beautiful artwork. This is a much see TV series. My only objection is that the lead, Huge Dancy, tends to overplay his role a little. Mikkelsen is outstanding.
  14. Apr 8, 2013
    This show has gotten off to a great start. Well written story and is captivating to you as to where you can't wait for more. Hugh Dancy as Will Graham is very good. He plays the mentally tormented detective quite well. Mads Mikkelsen does a good job playing Hannibal Lector. While maybe not quite as good as Anthony
    Hopkins, he does a fine job. First episode is very promising and this
    Hopkins, he does a fine job. First episode is very promising and this series is worth checking out.
  15. Apr 16, 2014
    The BEST series i've seen so far! Amazingly well written and directed, acting is magnificent, graphics and effects are WOWW!! What's best is the art of killing involved, aws each episode is presented with a delicate murder served with a side of some fine body parts. You'll fall in love with it, guaranteed.
  16. Jan 5, 2015
    Very good tv series, Mads Mikleson really does an amazing interpretation on our beloved psychopath hannibal, he is very charming and puts a new spin on Hannibal which is hard to describe. Another key character is Will graham, a man with a troubled mind, who throughout most of the first season is unsure whether hannibal is friend or foe. The only reason this show didn't receive a 10, wasVery good tv series, Mads Mikleson really does an amazing interpretation on our beloved psychopath hannibal, he is very charming and puts a new spin on Hannibal which is hard to describe. Another key character is Will graham, a man with a troubled mind, who throughout most of the first season is unsure whether hannibal is friend or foe. The only reason this show didn't receive a 10, was down to the fact that season 1 gets a little bit repetitive, however this is rectified in season 2. Expand
  17. Jun 23, 2013
    Fantastic first season. Was impressed from the beginning at the quality of everything involved in this show. From the acting to writing, this is a gripping drama and I cannot wait until the next season.
  18. Jun 20, 2013
    Amazing new show. The acting is superb all around, especially Mads Mikkelsen in the titular role. This is honestly one of the creepiest shows I have ever seen. It's like some of the best episodes of the X-Files week after week, but with such a refined and modern visual style that it surpasses nearly everything else on television in terms of cinematography and art direction. I'd say it'sAmazing new show. The acting is superb all around, especially Mads Mikkelsen in the titular role. This is honestly one of the creepiest shows I have ever seen. It's like some of the best episodes of the X-Files week after week, but with such a refined and modern visual style that it surpasses nearly everything else on television in terms of cinematography and art direction. I'd say it's probably the best drama on network television, and comparable to the best shows on basic and premium cable. Expand
  19. Iar
    Apr 4, 2013
    The show is great, but unbearable for some persons. It's a mix of very hard horror and thriller. Those, who can't stand this splatter (mostly these persons are 45+ aged women should bypass this show.
  20. Sep 24, 2013
    Simply amazing show. The dark, eerie atmosphere is tangible and the acting is fantastic. This is a very different show from the average cop/serial killer drama. Very psychological, as you would expect from a story about Hannibal. But as others have mentioned, not for everyone! A little disturbing for some, I would think.
  21. Mar 14, 2014
    The first season of Hannibal is a lot like a roller coaster ride, and I don't mean that in the usual sense of it being a thrill ride (although the show is certainly that), but rather in the way it plays out. There is a bit of a slow, measured beginning, one where you are carried to a place where you can look ahead of you and see what lies in store before the plunge. We the audience canThe first season of Hannibal is a lot like a roller coaster ride, and I don't mean that in the usual sense of it being a thrill ride (although the show is certainly that), but rather in the way it plays out. There is a bit of a slow, measured beginning, one where you are carried to a place where you can look ahead of you and see what lies in store before the plunge. We the audience can tell early on where this season is taking us as it stares us in the face for the first few episodes. And then the coaster drops. As Hannibal takes us on this spectacular ride we find ourselves thrilled and oftentimes a bit sickened, still much like a roller coaster, by the images and violent murder depictions that hit us in each episode. They are spectacularly shot and horrifying to behold, though thankfully the sense of realism is extremely heightened as not to utterly repulse us. These aren't traditional serial killers we are watching the characters go after, they are artists expressing themselves through horrifying means, and Hannibal Lecter and Will Graham are like the critic and the appraiser. Hannibal is also an artist himself, both in his butchery of man and in the way he serves up their flesh to guests and to himself. Yes, even when he eats alone there is a performance in his consumption of his victims.
    Season 1 of Hannibal is the best first season of a show I have seen since the first season of Lost (I would love to say Breaking Bad, but its first season was, although awesome, very short). The great thing going for Hannibal, a thing which perhaps a show like Lost could've benefitted from, is that there is a clear plan in place for the characters and what is to come for them. It also benefits from outstanding performances from all of its players, particularly Hugh Dancy as Will Graham and Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal Lecter, with the latter bringing us an interpretation that rivals the great Sir Anthony Hopkins's legendary performance. Yes, it's that good.
    Hannibal is a wonderful ride from the first episode to the last of season 1 and it only promises to get even better. It is admittedly not for the squeamish, but if you can handle the show's violence then you are in for a real treat. Hannibal is truly outstanding television.
  22. Jul 11, 2013
    This show is the only show I have consistently watched every single episode, on-time, without fail. I moved appointments out of the way to watch this show.

While Mads Mikkelsen's performance doesn't even begin to broach into Anthony Hopkins territory, it is one of three things that make this shoe easily the best show last season. The other two are Fishburne's and Dancy's performances. They, as the main trio, absolutely destroy all other main character performances for a TV show that I've seen in a long time. I mean, this is film material they do here.

The hallucinations and time skips that Dancy experiences from the outset are terribly unnerving, and make the show from what could have been a tasteless gore fest into a gripping psychodrama where you really are trying to figure out what is real and what perspective you are looking at. Of course, there are those moments that would be too incomprehensible if the show didn't dial back and just show you what's going on, but those are few enough to keep the mystery of the events hidden and glued together.

This mystery is compounded by the complex foiling relationship between Hannibal and Graham. We all know how the story turns out, but we still feel as if the other options of how they get there are available, and their relationship and how it evolves is a suspenseful part of the story.

There are few things wrong with this show. The episodes about the totem-pole were absolutely boring. I remember once they found the guy I got so bored I just kind of walked away from the TV, and when I came back, the story still made sense. Although, that bit does come back at the end, so I still suggest you watch it.

The lack of strong female characters disappoints me. We do have Freddie Lounds, Crawford's wife, Abigail, and Alana Bloom, but they're portrayed in either a negative light or a neutral light at best, although some allege Bloom is a strong and interesting character. However, I don't think these depictions are necessarily misogynistic or anything- they're just sorely lacking an important viewpoint. A group of female characters to counter the main trio of men would be interesting.

But it's never distasteful or distracting enough to truly remove from the story. This psychothriller is possibly the best on TV in its genre, at least for the last two decades, and it is clearly approaching art territory. While the pallid color pallet meant to reflect stagnation and death, and the slow and sometimes even stale pacing may be off-putting, if you are looking for substance, this series has ten whole points of it.
  23. Jun 17, 2014
    Well at first i wanna say that i watched all films with Anthony Hopkins. These films are pretty good, but not so catchy and haunting as series are. By the way, interest to this specific movie genre came into my sight after watching Dexter series. And i've tried to watch a lot of films and series about psychopaths. But in most cases it wasn't interesting. What people seek in such kind ofWell at first i wanna say that i watched all films with Anthony Hopkins. These films are pretty good, but not so catchy and haunting as series are. By the way, interest to this specific movie genre came into my sight after watching Dexter series. And i've tried to watch a lot of films and series about psychopaths. But in most cases it wasn't interesting. What people seek in such kind of pictures? A gloat over another's insanity, or an approvement of their own normality? Or maybe they looking for skills - how to diagnose psychopaths? Well i don't think so. In most cases people just wanna see some bloody action or intriguing breathtaking storyline. I, among other things, was interested in the story that reveals social aspects of the origin of madness and also touches philosophical questions about the boundaries of normality. Anyways you'll find all these things in the Hannibal series.
    P.S. already waiting for season 3.
  24. May 25, 2014
    Television critics often see themselves as society's moral guardians, to some degree. So, a film that is full of violence, no matter how artistically crafted, will garner their disapproval. I think that is one explanation for the 20 point difference between critics and fans here.

For my money, this is right up there with the best of the best, in this amazing age of excellent television. The season 2 finale exceeded all my expectations, and was definitely among the most artistic, beautiful, and compelling hours to watch ever created, even if that beauty is couched in suspense and violence.
  25. Feb 17, 2014
    Stanley Kubrick would be proud. His influential is present in every scene. The cinematography of this series alone rivals that of a cable series and makes the horror look beautiful. Mikelsen's new take on Hannibal is fresh. We get a more sinister and evil Hannibal Lecter. It's like having the devil himself in the dining room with you. Highly recommended.
  26. May 27, 2014
    Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy are a true dream team in this nightmarish re-imagining of Thomas Harris's cult classic Red Dragon. Besides the excellent acting (not forgetting Laurence Fishburne) NBC's new drama has a plot that is (forgive me) to die for. Be warned: there is a fair bit of gore in the series. But don't let that fact turn you away from it! The show provides a great look at theMads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy are a true dream team in this nightmarish re-imagining of Thomas Harris's cult classic Red Dragon. Besides the excellent acting (not forgetting Laurence Fishburne) NBC's new drama has a plot that is (forgive me) to die for. Be warned: there is a fair bit of gore in the series. But don't let that fact turn you away from it! The show provides a great look at the pathology of a true monster, and the crisis' that may develop in those who attempt to delve into it. The only real reason not to watch this show is if the plot is to intelligent for you to follow, in which case you would be better of watching CSI, where every move is explained to you. Sit back, enjoy, and don't forget the popcorn. Expand
  27. Jul 10, 2014
    A large part of the population knows about the movie Hannibal, a brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer. He was first time introduced to us in 2001 with Anthony Hopkins as the main actor. Hannibal Lecter is actually a fictional character in a series of suspense novels by Thomas Harris. Hopkins won the award as the best movie villain (Hannibal Lecter) by the American FilmA large part of the population knows about the movie Hannibal, a brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer. He was first time introduced to us in 2001 with Anthony Hopkins as the main actor. Hannibal Lecter is actually a fictional character in a series of suspense novels by Thomas Harris. Hopkins won the award as the best movie villain (Hannibal Lecter) by the American Film Institute in June 2010th. Therefore, it was hard to go to watch a series, with such good reviews on movie, when I first heard about the series, I just shook my head … nahh not worth, another trash .. it was a BIG mistake. After I ran out of other series, i began to watch it and I couldn't stop until the end of the season.

Firstly, I'm not a fan of horror and puzzles, mostly because I know the outcome and the actions are predictable. But just because of that i remained intrigued, the cast is excellent. Hannibal character is played by Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen and presents great acting, his face was emotionless he was predator, a joker, a puppeteer, morbid killer who is always one step ahead of everyone. Actually played a quiet but much more lethal than the figure presented by Hopkins. The only person who can keep track of him is Will Graham (Hugh Dancy), he is highly intelligent but often Conflicted man, tormented by his own imagination and has yet to live it each day for the greater good. FBI Inspector Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne) calls Graham to be criminal profiler for his ability to empathize with serial killers and there begins a game of cat and mouse.
    The second season continues after Graham went to jail and awaiting trial for murders. For those who have not watched the first season I'll just briefly say that the with various intrigues Will was declared for Hannibal and he is awaiting trial. In total mess of his mind, hi is trying to get to the truth of how he ended up in this place. As series goes on a part of his memories are returning, and he realizes that the sessions, which he had with Hannibal, where used to abuse his mind. The first time we come to the controversial part when Will tries to convince a brutal serial killer to kill Hannibal, killer fails and end up killed, and second time when he presents himself as killer to Hannibal.

The second season, from my impression, is no worse than the first one, moreover, it complements and adds even more twists, strange cases, with more transparency in the relationship between Will and Lectora. Will Graham catch Lectora or will he falter over this monster, remains to be seen in the remaining three episodes that follow.
  28. Jul 30, 2014
    From the first show, I became addicted. Amazing story, great actors, suspense and most of all... psychiatry and the power of the mind. Unique, suspenseful, addicting, stunning show.
  29. May 23, 2013
    I love this show...Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy awesome. Laurence Fishburn also great.
    @Lar I am over 45 and a woman and love the darkness of this show. I hope that this show is renewed..so different Cant wait to see the next episode a week is a long time to wait.This show is not for the faint hearted. Also loved Dexter.
    SO bored with medical shows that go on and on....cannot
    SO bored with medical shows that go on and on....cannot understand how they last for so long.
  30. Apr 8, 2013
    This is one of NBC's strongest premieres. The last time a show aired this well was last year with Awake which was unfortunately cut short. Hannibal's first episode was exciting, bloody, and fresh. The characters are great which is a good thing since it is filling the shoes of one of the biggest films to have ever been released but if it keeps this up it should be smooth sailing from hereThis is one of NBC's strongest premieres. The last time a show aired this well was last year with Awake which was unfortunately cut short. Hannibal's first episode was exciting, bloody, and fresh. The characters are great which is a good thing since it is filling the shoes of one of the biggest films to have ever been released but if it keeps this up it should be smooth sailing from here on in and we'll have one hell of a show on our hands. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Chuck Bowen
    Jun 18, 2013
    Hannibal is richer and more ambiguous than prior Harris adaptations; it's an exploration of social decay that's rife with literal and figurative cancers eating everyone alive from the ground up.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Apr 5, 2013
    By the end of the first hour, it has managed to make Dancy, Fishburne and Mikkelsen a formidable trio of characters, and each actor responds in kind with strong, engaging performances. Another sign of a good series is the fact that beyond the main three, the supporting cast is filled with solid actors and--more important--strong, vivid characters.
  3. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Apr 4, 2013
    It's anchored by several great performances, and it's among the more distinctive and gorgeously filmed shows on the air right now.... What did turn me off a bit in the first couple episodes of Hannibal was the victims were all young women.