• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 4, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
8.8

1. Aug 27, 2014
    This is a show you simply cannot miss. Expect great acting from almost every cast member, spectacular visuals, and memorable dialogue. That being said, be prepared for a painfully formulaic first half of the first season. It's not bad or boring; the episode structure is just very evident pretty soon. But if you can get past that, the second half shows more promise with an interesting plot arc. Then get ready for some of the finest television around with the Season 2, because that's where it's all at! Expand
  2. Jul 30, 2014
    From the first show, I became addicted. Amazing story, great actors, suspense and most of all... psychiatry and the power of the mind. Unique, suspenseful, addicting, stunning show.
  3. Jul 27, 2014
    For many fans of the Hannibal Lechter films, the jury is still out on the new TV show, Hannibal. While the ratings have been passable, when you ask people what they think of the show, most will tell you they haven't seen it yet. If NBC would put more money into advertising and let it stream on Netflix, I have little doubt that this will be a top ten show.

People are hesitant to watch a
    Lechter story without the legendary Anthony Hopkins, however once you get into the story, you will see that this isn't a problem. The series takes place in between the events of Hannibal Rising and Red Dragon, featuring Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) in his prime, as the FBI's top profiler. As seen in the opening scene of Red Dragon, Graham got help solving his cases from the world renowned psychologist, Dr. Hannibal Lechter (Mads Mikkelsen). The series focuses on this relationship, with Graham, who of course is in the dark over who Lechter really is. Lechter serves as a calming element in the vary chaotic and troubled life of Graham, and also plays the intermediary between Graham and his boss, Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne). This dynamic allows the FBI to solve some of the most heinous serial crimes they've been faced with.

For those of you still hesitant about watching this series, a few things to keep in mind. The same writers, producers, and directors who worked on the four films are behind this series. There are frequent references to all the films, and points where they actually clear up plot holes from the films. That alone should be enough to get people interested, but what really brings the story to the same level as the film series is Hugh Dancy as Will Graham.

Will Graham is a much deeper character than we came to know in Red Dragon. He is extremely complicated and as it turns out, not all that different from Lechter. Hugh Dancy, a veteran of a lot of bad movies, stars and is tremendous. Award shows are notorious for ignoring performances in series that feature gore and violence, but if anyone deserves an Emmy for best actor it his him. Dancy regularly gives a performance that is the best I've seen in a TV show since Breaking Bad. He really is that good.

Mads Mikkelsen is also terrific as Dr. Lechter. I wasn't sure how a French guy known for B-movies would do taking on the epic character of Hannibal Lechter, but he has shown all the class, humor, and madness of the legendary character. Finally, Laurence Fishburne rounds out the cast as the only big name involved in the project. He plays the boss, Jack Crawford, and is very important as the man who brought Graham and Lechter together. In my opinion, Fishburne is the perfect choice as he's cold, emotionless, and deeply focused on on thing, getting the job done.

You don't know most of the actors, but you know the characters. The cast of Hannibal is outstanding and will give you the chance to see your favorite characters in a whole other light. I love the Lechter films and was hesitant about watching this show myself. I didn't want to tarnish my view of the characters or the films, but this series is the missing companion piece that fills in the holes and gives you an all new appreciation for Lechter.
  4. Jul 10, 2014
    A large part of the population knows about the movie Hannibal, a brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer. He was first time introduced to us in 2001 with Anthony Hopkins as the main actor. Hannibal Lecter is actually a fictional character in a series of suspense novels by Thomas Harris. Hopkins won the award as the best movie villain (Hannibal Lecter) by the American Film Institute in June 2010th. Therefore, it was hard to go to watch a series, with such good reviews on movie, when I first heard about the series, I just shook my head … nahh not worth, another trash .. it was a BIG mistake. After I ran out of other series, i began to watch it and I couldn't stop until the end of the season.

Firstly, I'm not a fan of horror and puzzles, mostly because I know the outcome and the actions are predictable. But just because of that i remained intrigued, the cast is excellent. Hannibal character is played by Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen and presents great acting, his face was emotionless he was predator, a joker, a puppeteer, morbid killer who is always one step ahead of everyone. Actually played a quiet but much more lethal than the figure presented by Hopkins. The only person who can keep track of him is Will Graham (Hugh Dancy), he is highly intelligent but often Conflicted man, tormented by his own imagination and has yet to live it each day for the greater good. FBI Inspector Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne) calls Graham to be criminal profiler for his ability to empathize with serial killers and there begins a game of cat and mouse.
    The second season continues after Graham went to jail and awaiting trial for murders. For those who have not watched the first season I'll just briefly say that the with various intrigues Will was declared for Hannibal and he is awaiting trial. In total mess of his mind, hi is trying to get to the truth of how he ended up in this place. As series goes on a part of his memories are returning, and he realizes that the sessions, which he had with Hannibal, where used to abuse his mind. The first time we come to the controversial part when Will tries to convince a brutal serial killer to kill Hannibal, killer fails and end up killed, and second time when he presents himself as killer to Hannibal.

The second season, from my impression, is no worse than the first one, moreover, it complements and adds even more twists, strange cases, with more transparency in the relationship between Will and Lectora. Will Graham catch Lectora or will he falter over this monster, remains to be seen in the remaining three episodes that follow.
  5. Jul 5, 2014
    One of the best shows out at the moment. Casting, direction, and photography are all expertly crafted. The atmosphere is dark and the concept intriguing, especially for an already big fan of silence of the lambs. Kudos to the writers for putting together such a wonderful show when it could have easily fallen into the realm of fan service
  6. Jun 24, 2014
    God I love this show and this show gets away so much being on NBC. Bryan Fuller does everything right with this disturbing and twisted show. Everything is so refined and amazing.
  7. Jun 17, 2014
    Well at first i wanna say that i watched all films with Anthony Hopkins. These films are pretty good, but not so catchy and haunting as series are. By the way, interest to this specific movie genre came into my sight after watching Dexter series. And i've tried to watch a lot of films and series about psychopaths. But in most cases it wasn't interesting. What people seek in such kind of pictures? A gloat over another's insanity, or an approvement of their own normality? Or maybe they looking for skills - how to diagnose psychopaths? Well i don't think so. In most cases people just wanna see some bloody action or intriguing breathtaking storyline. I, among other things, was interested in the story that reveals social aspects of the origin of madness and also touches philosophical questions about the boundaries of normality. Anyways you'll find all these things in the Hannibal series.
    P.S. already waiting for season 3.
  8. Jun 12, 2014
    This is a television show that I could not get into. After seeing The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal (the movie), and Red Dragon, watching this show does no justice to the story line of the films.
    Hannibal (t.v. show) takes place pre-Silence of the Lambs and pre-Red Dragon. The actors that are playing in this show do not fit well in comparison to the actors in the Hannibal Lecter movie
    triology. This is, of course, my opinion. It's worth checking it out. Expand
  9. May 27, 2014
    Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy are a true dream team in this nightmarish re-imagining of Thomas Harris's cult classic Red Dragon. Besides the excellent acting (not forgetting Laurence Fishburne) NBC's new drama has a plot that is (forgive me) to die for. Be warned: there is a fair bit of gore in the series. But don't let that fact turn you away from it! The show provides a great look at the pathology of a true monster, and the crisis' that may develop in those who attempt to delve into it. The only real reason not to watch this show is if the plot is to intelligent for you to follow, in which case you would be better of watching CSI, where every move is explained to you. Sit back, enjoy, and don't forget the popcorn. Expand
  10. May 25, 2014
    Television critics often see themselves as society's moral guardians, to some degree. So, a film that is full of violence, no matter how artistically crafted, will garner their disapproval. I think that is one explanation for the 20 point difference between critics and fans here.

For my money, this is right up there with the best of the best, in this amazing age of excellent television.
    The season 2 finale exceeded all my expectations, and was definitely among the most artistic, beautiful, and compelling hours to watch ever created, even if that beauty is couched in suspense and violence. Expand
  11. May 8, 2014
    Hannibal is trivial. The makers are trying desperately to pin serial murder aesthetically. Weak attempt. The character of Hannibal brings it only to the charm of a drunken head waiter from the provincial station restaurant. The psychological problems that are representing the most unbearable in the long term. The cadaveric however, are beautifully decorated, if one likes such images. But that alone does not a good series. Expand
  12. May 5, 2014
    Surprising to see such a graphic show on NBC. The acting is brilliant, and the directing and writing are excellent. I can't imagine a better Lecter than Mikkelsen. One of my favorite TV shows.
  13. Apr 28, 2014
    Hannibal is a TV show that offers stark contrasts. In the end, while it provides a vivid and highly-detailed vision, that vision is too sanitized and too focused. It lacks any of the intermediate shades between light/dark, good/evil, pure/tainted, or clear/blurry. Instead it can only present sharp distinction, or at best offer capitulation of one over the other. Unlike Silence of the Lambs, there is no transformation and no imagination, only characters locked in an endless and uninspired waltz.

I will point out the good parts of the show (and some parts are EXCELLENT). Hugh Dancy's performance is incredible: he somehow channels the impressive performance given by William Peterson when he played this same character in the 1986 film "Manhunter," yet incorporates those idiosyncracies seemlessly into his own, more damaged, vulnerable and bitter version of Will Graham. The result is a character that shows hints of the more traditional hero hidden beneath a fragile exterior, a promise always on the verge of materializing but always in danger of shattering completely.

The direction and photography also show signs of genius. The use of dream sequence (if a bit over-used) is perfect for keeping the audience on their toes, and some of the visuals seem to indicate just the kind of world Hannibal might imagine for himself.

There are two major flaws in this show, and they magnify each other: the show's lack of variety, and its overstretched nature. In the introduction to this review, I talked about the overly-sanitized nature of the show and the lack of intermediate shading. This kind of world, especially with light and dark interacting but never mingling, is certainly a clear vision of Hannibal's mind, but without a dirty, down-to-earth reference point it just makes the entire WORLD look like a soap opera set. Will Graham's cabin, or shack, or house (depending on your social class) SHOULD offer us a contrast, but while its materials are cheaper and its decorations less ornate than Hannibal's home, it is nevertheless clean and sterile and perfectly, maddeningly ORDERED. This is supposed to be a character in the midst of a long nervous breakdown, we're told, yet there isn't a single misplaced item in the entire home, not one dirty dish or discarded jacket. Even when he has a fit of psychosis and demolishes his own chimney, there isn't a single cast-aside brick or even a speck of dust around the hole, they only manage to leave one of the left-in bricks SLIGHTLY ASKEW as if to say, "See, this brick is not perfectly aligned, is this character's world FALLING APART or what?!?!" Unconvincing.

Then we have the overstretched quality. Here I refer to the plotholes and the show's length and the resulting sense of shallowness, altogether. We're only a good way through the second season and already I feel like the show is retreading and making desperate leaps BOTH. How on earth do you manage to be wrong in both directions in only 2 seasons? This show's plotholes and complete implausibility give even Dexter a run for its money. The sad thing is, much of this paragraph's whining would be inapplicable if only the series were shorter, say a film or single season mini-series. But because we are forced to rehash the same plot over again and stretch the story at the same time, nothing makes sense anymore. The FBI refuses to investigate. The instructor refuses to learn. And the villain refuses to be frightening in any real way. If anything the only character capable of frightening us in this show is Will Graham, because the performance is nuanced enough to make the character itself unpredictable, and because his is the only character moving between the light and dark (again, if ONLY there were anything interesting in between) over and over and over again. Even the most delicious dish, no matter how well presented, needs variety.
  14. Apr 24, 2014
    I Almost just made this account to tell the writers and people about this incredible rare and unique series broadcast on Nbc, Axn. The Hannibal series is terribly underestimated and underapreaciated, this will cause the series to fall. Please support hannibal series and bring them up, i just hate silly series beeing broadcasted in tv like pawn stars pawn this pawn that too many comic series, please stop! .. Bring up the good series, good police series. Start watching good shows or we will find ourselves with **** series like pawn stars and even if you know its stupid it has a lot more views than hannibal, how is that even possible!! , this is a masterpiece, you are making tv look stupid!, yes you! , the consumers dont support art and support crappy tv shows. I hope somebody hear me. Im sorry for my english im from Argentina. Cheers! Expand
  15. Apr 16, 2014
    I must have missed this or misinterpreted an episode, my question: what is the significance of the Bull Elk that keeps appearing??? It seems to only appear when Will is in the "zone", I obviously missed something early on...
  16. Apr 16, 2014
    The BEST series i've seen so far! Amazingly well written and directed, acting is magnificent, graphics and effects are WOWW!! What's best is the art of killing involved, aws each episode is presented with a delicate murder served with a side of some fine body parts. You'll fall in love with it, guaranteed.
  17. Apr 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. absolutely great.I love the mind games that Hannibal has played with Grant through out the season and each episode is as sick and twisted (in a good way) as the next. Expand
  18. Apr 8, 2014
    Brilliant tv show with twist and turns that have you at the edge of your seats. I absolutely love this show and highly recommend it. Its nothing like the common mundane and cliche shows out on tv.
  19. Apr 8, 2014
    I find that Hannibal has been a phenomenal TV series thus far. Not only is it highly creative, it also supplements it's shady tone with mouth-watering suspense. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good TV Drama/Thriller.
  20. Apr 4, 2014
    Hugh Dancy, and Mad Mikkelsen put on the performance of their lives in the new thriller Hannibal. With the second season just starting it is a perfect time to catch up on a different look a Hannibal Lecter. Loosely based off the book Red Dragon, Will Graham investigates serial killers, as a FBI profiler, because he has a unique understanding of them. He is then observed by Dr. Hannibal Lecter to make sure that he is okay. Bringing a lot of suspense into the show, it is great for all of the thriller fans out there.

Bloody and Delicious, don’t try to eat while watching this show. It may be one of the goriest television shows on at the moment. With this gore it keeps you in a perfect mindset to watch this twisted and disturbing (in the best way possible) show. Also while watching you begin to understand what drives people to kill. This leads to sympathetic attachment to Will Graham as he can understand and feel what the serial killer thinks.

These episodes will keep you on the edge of your seat. Your mind will be heavily into the show as you try to comprehend everything that is going on. My only complaint is that at some points it seems to go a little slow, but this only adds to the suspense and thrill. The real talent is the acting by Hugh Dancy and Mad Mikkelsen as they play off from each other well. As Hannibal (Mad Mikkelsen) continually toys between being a good friend to Will (Hugh Dancy) and his deep dark secret.
  21. Apr 3, 2014
    I'm home on a Friday night and willing to spend my time with Hannibal. Some associations are being made with the great "True Detective", but I think Hannibal better. Each episode is well written, and the visuals warrant 1080p viewing. The best part is re-watching the episodes for all the cues and innuendos I missed. Try it out... You won't be disappointed.
  22. Apr 2, 2014
    Dark, smart and compelling, Hannibal is the best show on television that no one is watching. Original yet respectful of the source material, the writing, acting, and overall production value continue to astound. I wouldn't recommend marathoning it not because of the quality of the product but because of what it could do to your psyche. Hannibal pushes the limits of what a major network can show on air and you will love it all the more for that. Expand
  23. Mar 27, 2014
    This So called show "Hannibal" is the most brilliant piece of art, in the work of films, that i have managed to watch for my entire life. The parts in "Hannibal" where bodies is laying all over, can maybe become a little overwhelming, for some people at least, but for the most people, i think, this could be a nice and good attachment to their history in films.
  24. Mar 14, 2014
    The first season of Hannibal is a lot like a roller coaster ride, and I don't mean that in the usual sense of it being a thrill ride (although the show is certainly that), but rather in the way it plays out. There is a bit of a slow, measured beginning, one where you are carried to a place where you can look ahead of you and see what lies in store before the plunge. We the audience can tell early on where this season is taking us as it stares us in the face for the first few episodes. And then the coaster drops. As Hannibal takes us on this spectacular ride we find ourselves thrilled and oftentimes a bit sickened, still much like a roller coaster, by the images and violent murder depictions that hit us in each episode. They are spectacularly shot and horrifying to behold, though thankfully the sense of realism is extremely heightened as not to utterly repulse us. These aren't traditional serial killers we are watching the characters go after, they are artists expressing themselves through horrifying means, and Hannibal Lecter and Will Graham are like the critic and the appraiser. Hannibal is also an artist himself, both in his butchery of man and in the way he serves up their flesh to guests and to himself. Yes, even when he eats alone there is a performance in his consumption of his victims.
    Season 1 of Hannibal is the best first season of a show I have seen since the first season of Lost (I would love to say Breaking Bad, but its first season was, although awesome, very short). The great thing going for Hannibal, a thing which perhaps a show like Lost could've benefitted from, is that there is a clear plan in place for the characters and what is to come for them. It also benefits from outstanding performances from all of its players, particularly Hugh Dancy as Will Graham and Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal Lecter, with the latter bringing us an interpretation that rivals the great Sir Anthony Hopkins's legendary performance. Yes, it's that good.
    Hannibal is a wonderful ride from the first episode to the last of season 1 and it only promises to get even better. It is admittedly not for the squeamish, but if you can handle the show's violence then you are in for a real treat. Hannibal is truly outstanding television.
  25. Mar 14, 2014
    slow slow slow... flashbacks are redundant with little connection to story...we know hannibal is the it killer, but are dragged through the trial of will graham.......getting really tired of the persecution of will graham...
  26. Mar 14, 2014
    Hannibal, unlike other shows on television, isn't afraid to be different from everything else on free-to-air networks. It is impeccably executed, featuring some of the best, if not the best, cinematography on television - along with fantastic writing and a chilling and eerie soundtrack by Brian Reitzell. The series is also an incredibly moody one, with plenty of disturbing and grotesque imagery that many television series nowadays try to avoid. The characters are fantastically written and they feel realistic - the acting also is brilliant, especially from the lead cast members, Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen, who convey realism and humanity to their characters - also the chemistry between them is fantastic. Season 1 overall is pure brilliance; an underrated gem that deserves more recognition and I certainly hope the series continues for a long time. Expand
  27. Mar 13, 2014
    Great show, I love the cast and the characters, they are very interesting! Mads Mikkelsen is the best Hannibal that I' ve never seen. The adaptations of the Harris' books is ingenious!
  28. Mar 10, 2014
    I give this series such a high rating because I enjoy watching Hannibal Lector as a character his elegance and morale stand in what he does makes him just a brilliant character to watch I could not imagine trying to act as Dr Lector hat goes off too Mads (can't not remember his second name) and any actor who had attempted to tap the mind of the Hannibal Lector, Anthony Hopkins is still the standard an actor has to reach to become Hannibal, Mads does it so well. Expand
  29. Feb 27, 2014
    No need to mention what the series is about, mostly self explanatory, except to say there's a need to quell any qualms about the actors playing these characters as awful because they're not, unfortunately its the most solid thing in this show. Mildly "entertaining" as many of these shows are, but many users and critics seem to miss the point when it comes to the shows that are on networks such as NBC, CBS, etc..... there's almost no point in reviewing them in any traditional sense since the whole point of them is to create advertising revenue, almost makes it pointless going to work if your employed by one of the programs. The sex scenes are completely censored, there no swearing at all, so except for a period piece where speech patterns are different this seems to be incredibly unrealistic, zero nudity, the violence is like a cartoon, and where there does seem to be a shred of integrity in the writing its completely undone by treating the audience like morons and repeating themselves over and over. This is my review for most shows on the these networks, and, in my opinion, unless its on FX, HBO, Netflix, Showtime, etc, there's almost no point in tuning in. That's not to say every single show on these providers are television gold but at least they have a creative head start no? I could go on all day about the lines that separate "entertainment" and "art" but in the end if you choose guilty pleasures over mental sustenance, or at least something healthy in-between, then there's little left to say. Expand
  30. Feb 27, 2014
    It is an interesting and ingenious series.Having Mikkelsen,Dancy and Fishburne in it,it makes it better.It's a great mix of horror,thriller,and the drama that the character Will Graham does with every day.
  31. Feb 17, 2014
    Stanley Kubrick would be proud. His influential is present in every scene. The cinematography of this series alone rivals that of a cable series and makes the horror look beautiful. Mikelsen's new take on Hannibal is fresh. We get a more sinister and evil Hannibal Lecter. It's like having the devil himself in the dining room with you. Highly recommended.
  32. Feb 6, 2014
    Every single episode of this series is just excellent. The whole mood and balance of thrill and gore is superior and the visual style of the series is spot on. Mads Mikkelsen fits the role of Hannibal better than I ever could have expected. Even if you are a fan of Hopkins, you have to give a slightly different kind of Hannibal a chance since Mikkelsen does such a great job here that I might even prefer him over Anthony.. The overall feel and progression of this season is well balanced I just cannot wait for season 2. Highly recommend this series, its one of the best I have seen in years. Expand
  33. Jan 16, 2014
    Although it is understandable that some people may be thrown off by the violence in this series, it is very easy to miss the great dialogue (emotionally engaging and intellectually stimulating) and the beautiful artwork. This is a much see TV series. My only objection is that the lead, Huge Dancy, tends to overplay his role a little. Mikkelsen is outstanding.
  34. Dec 26, 2013
    I'm a huge Hannibal Lecter fan and at first I was so disappointed, but after few episodes I fell in love! This is the best tv show I've ever watched. Hope they don't cancel it after second season...
  35. Dec 25, 2013
    Mads Mikkelson and Hugh Dancy are jaw-dropping, David Slade is brilliant, the murders are gorgeous(ly gruesome, the cinematography is beautiful, and Hannibal Lecter is creepy as hell. Th mind games that Hannibal plays on Will are brilliant and keep you wanting more. Each death is art, it is something that takes time, focus, and imagination. When police are investigating a dead body, don't expect that the cause of death was from a car crash; expect he/she died from having his/her (mostly men) tongue pulled out through a cut in their throat. This shows main theme is insanity, and I've never seen a theme portrayed this well In my entire life. The acting, direction, and dialogue move the insane plot along so well that you won't find yourself looking down at your phone from bordome. The only issues that I noticed were some weird dialogue similes and the fact that (very minor spoiler incoming) that one person made a twenty-foot tall totem poll made of the corpses of human beings. The killers in this show are capable of many things that don't seem humanly possible. For the dialogue, throughout it is very good, but there are some weird phrases and similes, for example: "like a shadow being suspended on dust." You usually know what they mean by using context clues, but that's just sow thing they could do in season 2. I highly recommend this show who are tired of regular cop shows and want a change. Also to people who like smart television. Expand
  36. Dec 4, 2013
    Pretty much everything is wrong with this show, although I'd for me personally Hettienne Park and her character account for at least 20% of what's wrong here. She manages to establish herself as this show's Jennifer Carpenter within the first few seconds of her screentime.

But to be fair, there's a lot more wrong with this show, a garden variety case of basic cable syndrome: Everything
    in this show is a sillier repetition of things that have been done before. It's all dulled and dumbed down to the least common denominator. The smug "jokes" are Burn Notice material; the "murder face" effect is repetitive and gets old during the first half of the pilot, unless you're Amish.

The source material might have made for a decent series on a premium cable network, although tons of things would have to be completely different, including all actors except Mads Mikkelsen.
  37. Nov 14, 2013
    The show is in general is a intense though for some slow moving uncensored look at the mind of a narcissistic brilliant sociopath. There is also an atmosphere of viscous madness which the show I think really does well at expressing subtly from episode to episode that is very unique and unseen in most television.

The actors range in their ability but the main cast is really delivering
    and very intense in their performances. The performances are also unique in their interpretations of the characters so the show really has its own take on Hannibal though many core elements remain the same.

The show is also difficult to predict given its design. It is not based on Hannibal alone, but a handful of characters orbiting each other including Hannibal working in the realm of serial killer crime and psychology. I like this aspect of the show since I have no idea where it is going given it is not driven completely by Hannibals choices alone.
  38. Nov 12, 2013
    Easily one of the most effective thrillers in Primetime television. The dark and sinister atmosphere just seeps from the screen onto into your room while watching. The writing elegantly concocts ghoulish imagery and fittingly devilish winks to its source material (the Novels by Thomas Harris). All of this is tied together by three powerhouse performances by Hugh Dancy, Laurence Fishburne, and Mads Mikkelson as the titular character. The standout here is Dancy, who effectively fills the shoes of a man whose mind is literally falling apart.
    This show was one of the most egregious snubs from this year's Emmy ceremony. The Writing, Dancy, Cinematography, and overall construction of this show falls together with such perfection it puts every other show in primetime to shame. The creative personality of the show is so compelling throughout the entire first season, ending with the perfect wink to Thomas Harris.
    Going with the food metaphors used as episode titles in the series, I'd compare the first season of Hannibal to a delicious 13 course meal, and like all great meals it leaves you wanting more. Highly recommend for anyone with a strong stomach who appreciates horror, psychology, thrillers, dark comedy, or just drama.
  39. Nov 11, 2013
    This is a superbly made TV series--great direction, art direction and sets, excellent acting (the leads and even the supporting roles are particularly well-cast for a TV series), artful digital cinematography, and exceptional music and sound effects. The story is a grisly, gory and extremely suspenseful one, however, the implausibilities start to accumulate and overwhelm the enjoyment (if you can call it that) of the story after a while. I will stay tuned for Season 2, but it's really no fun watching supposedly brilliant FBI agents get played and made to look dumb in episode after episode. Come on guys--when will ya finally put the dots together?! Expand
  40. Nov 3, 2013
    At first, I hated it. But then I understood its premise. It's a psychological horror thriller. It sets a mood. It's not logical. It's art made of gore.. and it's really well done.
    I am not a horror person so I didn't understand the genre. Not that I totally 'get it' now but I feel like I am coming to appreciate what I think he is trying to do with this show. Which is to a) make
    horror-fun of a society that overvalues "fine-anything" to extremes and b) creep the bejesus out of us while he, the director/creator is doing it. He succeeds! You are watching people being FED to other people.... AGGHHH!! that is horrific and revolting and yet, there you are watching it and almost, ALMOST celebrating Hannibal's deeply disgusting "justice". Hannibal is a monster, no doubt about it, but the way the show is done, you find yourself forgetting that fact, often. And that is super creepy on it's own! This show is very well done and even though I am not one to ever recommend horror, this is worth watching. Expand
  41. rsw
    Oct 28, 2013
    I fell in love in Hannibal right from its pilot episode. A perfect twisted horror with superb acting, suited music, and all the right feels. This may sound compromising but I can see that it is as good as The Silence of the Lambs and anyone who loved that film would love this.

Just amazing amazing show and I can't wait for Season 2.
  42. Sep 24, 2013
    Simply amazing show. The dark, eerie atmosphere is tangible and the acting is fantastic. This is a very different show from the average cop/serial killer drama. Very psychological, as you would expect from a story about Hannibal. But as others have mentioned, not for everyone! A little disturbing for some, I would think.
  43. Sep 6, 2013
    No show I can think of has gone quite so far to not just romanticize serial killing, but to attempt to raise it to the level of an art form. This Hannibal barely resembles his namesake from the movie, but he is just as interesting.
  44. Sep 6, 2013
    This shows lives up to the first two films and is superior to the film of the same name. Mads Mikkelsen plays a very believable Hannibal. The only way you will not like it is if you are so tied to Anthony Hopkins that you can not see past that. Hugh Dancy is good as the police officer drafted by the FBI. The only problem with this shows is the muddled writing. Part of this was because the main FBI officer (Dancy) has mental issues, but it goes beyond that and this needs to be worked on before the second season. I would recommend more crisp writing somewhat like a meal that Hannibal prepares. Expand
  45. Sep 1, 2013
    Incredible first season show. An unexpected surprise by all accounts. The show is gorgeous, and has amazing visuals. The acting is very strong, and the plot is thick with intrigue and suspense. This is an extremely violent and gory show,and some of the images are so explicit i'm shocked it's able to be shown on Network TV. This is a great show, and it hooks you immediately. The character of Hannibal Lector is amazing as well. If you enjoy dark dramas with a hint of horror this is it. My rating: 8.0/10 Expand
  46. Aug 20, 2013
    This is the most interesting TV show I've ever seen. Mikkelsen showed me another different Hannibal. All actors are excellent!!! I can't not wait until season 2. Congratulations!!!!
  47. Aug 17, 2013
    Hannibal, a television re-imagining of the novel Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. The show which puts all other attempts at television psychological horror to shame. Hannibal stars Casino Royale star Mads Mikkelsen. Mikkelsen gives a strong performance bringing back to life the iconic role which Sir Anthony Hopkins played in the 1991 Silence of the Lambs. The show also stars Hugh Dancy as a psychological disturbed FBI agent, WIll Graham. The series remains constantly strong throughout the series, until the last episode where the ending seems like a little bit of a cop-out in comparison to the rest of the series. When watching the ending I couldn't help but feel cheated, I understand that the series has received a commission for a second series, which should be good but if they cop-out the ending of series 2 as well I can assure you I won't be watching the third. Expand
  48. Aug 15, 2013
    Best new show on television in my eyes. A+ acting almost all the way through the cast, especially Hannibal and Graham. If you have a brain in your head that you like to use for thinking, give this show a shot and watch at least 8 episodes, that's when it really hits it's stride.
  49. Aug 13, 2013
    Hannibal delivers on the gore, but after about the tenth episode I found myself almost laughing at the heaviness it was trying unsuccessfully to achieve. The actors are quite good, especially Fishburne, but they have little to work with; the writing doesn't make me care about them much. Unrelenting dark mood, good acting, effective gore, and heavy handed music that has so little to back it up that it becomes jokey (or grating, take your pick) do not a great show make. Hannibal is trying to be so heavy but it just isn't, and it is the worse for trying so hard and falling flat. This said, it has some appeal, and is not a total loss, mostly because of the acting. Hopefully the writers will study the definition of subtle and make the show better. As of now, the show is as subtle as a sledgehammer. Expand
  50. Jul 28, 2013
    Incredible show that surprised the heck out of me. Before watching it I was very skeptical and now I am not sure how it isn't more popular. Hard to believe it's on NBC.
  51. Jul 26, 2013
    Brilliantly shot, creepy, refined, dark, good ending to season one. A little bit out there, and slightly hard to follow, high hopes for seasons going forward.
  52. Jul 25, 2013
    The movie plot is interesting but sometimes lack of the thrill we would expected. The movie's idea is complex and rarely found in any other TV series before, and it's too soon to judge this movie, since there's so much more that can be offered.
    Extra credit to Mads Mikkaelsen "He perfectly brings a difference approach of Hannibal Lecter with almost the same level of charisma and
    characterization as Sr. Anthony Hopkins, which surprisingly nice and magnetic" Expand
  53. Jul 11, 2013
    This show is the only show I have consistently watched every single episode, on-time, without fail. I moved appointments out of the way to watch this show.

While Mads Mikkelsen's performance doesn't even begin to broach into Anthony Hopkins territory, it is one of three things that make this shoe easily the best show last season. The other two are Fishburne's and Dancy's performances.
    They, as the main trio, absolutely destroy all other main character performances for a TV show that I've seen in a long time. I mean, this is film material they do here.

The hallucinations and time skips that Dancy experiences from the outset are terribly unnerving, and make the show from what could have been a tasteless gore fest into a gripping psychodrama where you really are trying to figure out what is real and what perspective you are looking at. Of course, there are those moments that would be too incomprehensible if the show didn't dial back and just show you what's going on, but those are few enough to keep the mystery of the events hidden and glued together.

This mystery is compounded by the complex foiling relationship between Hannibal and Graham. We all know how the story turns out, but we still feel as if the other options of how they get there are available, and their relationship and how it evolves is a suspenseful part of the story.

There are few things wrong with this show. The episodes about the totem-pole were absolutely boring. I remember once they found the guy I got so bored I just kind of walked away from the TV, and when I came back, the story still made sense. Although, that bit does come back at the end, so I still suggest you watch it.

The lack of strong female characters disappoints me. We do have Freddie Lounds, Crawford's wife, Abigail, and Alana Bloom, but they're portrayed in either a negative light or a neutral light at best, although some allege Bloom is a strong and interesting character. However, I don't think these depictions are necessarily misogynistic or anything- they're just sorely lacking an important viewpoint. A group of female characters to counter the main trio of men would be interesting.

But it's never distasteful or distracting enough to truly remove from the story. This psychothriller is possibly the best on TV in its genre, at least for the last two decades, and it is clearly approaching art territory. While the pallid color pallet meant to reflect stagnation and death, and the slow and sometimes even stale pacing may be off-putting, if you are looking for substance, this series has ten whole points of it.
  54. Jul 2, 2013
    After watching the whole season, I can say without a doubt, this is the most intriguing, and best-executed new drama series of the year, if not in several years. Mikkelsen wipes away any lingering thoughts of Hopkins or Cox, and creates his own subtle character study in monstrosity. Dancy is often given more to work with as the series' nominal protagonist, and he handles his arc with feeling and passion. Laurence Fishburne for the first time in years feels as if he isn't just sailing by in a role; he portrays Crawford with gravitas and elevates the character's sometimes expository dialogue. The art direction and unique and disquieting aura of the series are what really distinguish, as well as the character interactions, which feel fresh and never contrived. NBC made the best decision it has in a long time by renewing this stellar series. Expand
  55. Jun 29, 2013
    All the movies after Silence of the Lambs made Hannibal Lecter like a theatrical super villain. Mads Mikkelsen managed to re-define Hannibal Lecter. He expresses everything with such minimal body language and flickers of expressions, and his Hannibal Lecter is brilliantly terrifying for that lack of reaction. The show is amazing for the surreal dark fantasy horror style and the endless psychological drama. I really enjoy watching Hannibal treats everyone like guinea pigs, or as the show says "wind him up, and watch him go". Expand
  56. Jun 28, 2013
    The mere content of the show alone would be enough to engage a decent portion of the populous. However, for people who enjoy thrillers, horrors and crime drama, the lack of suspense and lack of charisma in the lead characters detracts heavily from what should be a gripping show. I can only blame a poor choice of cast and heavy handed directed from spoiling what could have been a watchable series.
  57. Jun 25, 2013
    This is a dark psychological thriller of the highest caliber

When I first heard of this show I had high hopes but low expectations. After finishing the first season I have to say that my hope was rewarded and the overall quality reaching far, FAR beyond my expectations.

Not only is this a good show, but is a GREAT show, in ways I didn't imagine. It is a psychological thriller
    centering around the relationship between Hannibal Lecter and Will Graham, where Mads Mikkelsen (excellently) plays Lecter as a truly cold and calculating psychopath and Hugh Dancy (also really good) playing a profiler with a superb, but double-edged ability to empathize with serial killers. And it is here we find one of the show's greatest (and most surprising) strengths; Graham's gradual descent into mental instability caused by his superior profiling capabilities.

We're given a really dark and unpleasant view into someones crumbling mental state, and that's all enhanced by the show's dark visuals, graphic imagery and haunting auditory.

Full review: http://kenikkiscorner.blogspot.se/2013/06/series-review- hannibal-season-1.html#more
  58. Jun 25, 2013
    After reading lar's review that perhaps 45+ women should bypass the show I had to write. Being a 59 year old female I thoroughly enjoyed Hannibal. The writing and acting were superb, and Mads Mikkelsen can instill that creepy feeling you got from Dr. Lechter's loathsome yet polished persona. Perhaps not quite eerie as Anthony Hopkins, but then again this is network television. So I say bravo to all involved in this production. And Lars, "Dexter" is my favorite show! Expand
  59. Jun 23, 2013
    Fantastic first season. Was impressed from the beginning at the quality of everything involved in this show. From the acting to writing, this is a gripping drama and I cannot wait until the next season.
  60. Jun 22, 2013
    A stunning, haunting and darkly beautiful show, with captivating performances from its leads. Bryan Fuller's vision both reinvents the eponymous killer whilst staying true to his twisted roots, and Mads Mikkelsen is a wonder as Lecter, creating the sinister through a quiet calm and sense of realness. But its Hugh Dancy's performance as a man on the edge of sanity that truly drives this show above most others. This is thirteen episodes of tight, creative and well executed TV, and I wait with avid anticipation (and one or two nightmares) for the next thirteen. Expand
  61. Jun 20, 2013
    Mikkelsen and Dancy work wonders together as Hannibal and Grant and their supporting cast is solid as well. I love the mind games that Hannibal has played with Grant through out the season and each episode is as sick and twisted (in a good way) as the next. I absolutely can not wait until season 2.
  62. Jun 20, 2013
    Amazing new show. The acting is superb all around, especially Mads Mikkelsen in the titular role. This is honestly one of the creepiest shows I have ever seen. It's like some of the best episodes of the X-Files week after week, but with such a refined and modern visual style that it surpasses nearly everything else on television in terms of cinematography and art direction. I'd say it's probably the best drama on network television, and comparable to the best shows on basic and premium cable. Expand
  63. Jun 16, 2013
    Gorgeous, horrifying, totally engrossing. Excellent cast and writing, and just a beautiful show to watch. I like this Hannibal Lecter so much better than Anthony Hopkins' version of the character, and Laurence Fishburne is great.
  64. Jun 12, 2013
    Hannibal is the best show on TV! Great actor's, character's, writing, editing, score, directing, producing, and the whole look of the show is amazing!
  65. Jun 5, 2013
    What a well written and directed show.Also very stylish with great scenery.The first episode didn't grab me,too many flashbacks but fast forward 2,3 and 4 and i'm loving it.Mads Mikkelsen is his usual fantastic versatile self.All the characters are good.This show is a real breath of fresh air from CSI and the like.By the way Lar,i'm a woman and over the age of 45 and the more blood and guts the better.I love a good Gore Fest. Expand
  66. Jun 2, 2013
    solid 7.5, rounded up.

pretty far from perfect, but different and very stylised. it is both easy to follow and a piece obsessed with art and aspiring to be it. this show is at once accessible and also very interesting. it isnt hannibal the early years, as its concerned less with hannibal that with its protagonist, and is of a different style and tone than the films. it does work, and it
    is well worth watching. its production values are top notch and its an eerily curious piece. you will need to put your suspension of disbelief in a fridge, nestled amongst some choice cuts of carrion though. Expand
  67. Jun 1, 2013
    As a fan of The other films starring Will Graham (Re Dragon and Manhunter) the TV series was of interest to me. I love how they have created Will as a cop who can barely handle his thoughts as a killer, and how he can still do his best to solve the crimes at hand. Having Hugh Dancy is surprisingly welcome since he seems less likely to have a sick mind the same way Edward norton or William Peterson did, yet portrays it very well.
    Mads Mikkelsen makes for a much different Hannibal than that of the iconic Hopkins, and can show even subtle touches as to how the character is thinking, be it in his quarters or when viewing a crime scene.
    The crime scenes are downright disturbing and having Will bring the scene to life adds to the freakiness. The third episode in particular had gruesome imagery, as well as some pyschological scares in what happened to some of the victims of the first episodes killer. Its truly inventive and leaves a lasting impression to the viewer.
    I am looking forward to how the rest of the season turns out, but I am hooked and cannot wait to see where the series goes next.
  68. May 29, 2013
    While the first episode was quite slow, Hannibal has steadily become one of my favorite shows in a very long time. The level that the acting, writing, and production of each episode reaches is truly inspiring. The directing is reminiscent of Fincher and the writing is exceptional in a way that most network television writers only dream of. Without question this can't be missed.
  69. May 27, 2013
    Hannibal is a very well casted, well written, and well directed show. Aside from those three criteria, the show exceeds and also fails to meet other standards that many critics, such as myself, are looking for in a weeknight series. To start, the show seems to lack aim. This isn't necessarily bad, but can draw slightly more impatient viewers away from the audience. However, lacking aim also means that the show isn't constantly shocking and cheaply predictable; in comparison to other series, Hannibal would be a nicely-aged wine rather than a quick, inexpensive grape juice. But then again, this depends on the viewers' opinions; I, personally, would choose the wine because I believe good things take time and the slow start of the show is simply alluding to and leading up to reveal an exceptional plot. Secondly, the show is extremely refreshing in the way that comic relief is not only absent from the writing, but is also unnecessary. This, however, also depends on the viewer, and can be appreciated more by a more mature audience. For those who are looking for a constantly fast-paced show with humor mixed into the action, I suggest Fox's "Bones." Finally, the Hannibal challenges the viewer to think ahead, and empathize with the main characters, even the serial killers. This is not only a near-impossible feat for a writer and director, but a relatively new one. This is what makes the show so unique and delightfully ambitious. In short, Hannibal is a fantastic and thrilling show for a patient, mature, and intellectual audience that appreciates quality television at its best. Expand
  70. May 26, 2013
    Hannibal is by far the most beautiful show on television, despite Dr. Lector's appetite... After the third episode you're hooked. The show has the bet cinematography and set design I've ever seen on a tv show. The series is classy in the most ironic of ways. Definitely a very, very, very good show.
  71. May 24, 2013
    First off, this television program is marginally better than the films which preceded it. Hannibal (2001), Red Dragon (2002) and the god-awful Hannibal Rising (2006) don't come close to this series when it comes to intelligence, charisma and charm. This series follows Will Graham (played masterfully by Hugh Dancy here) as he is brought back into the FBI for a series of cases by Jack Crawford (Laurence Fishburne). Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen) assists him in these cases and also acts as his unofficial psychiatrist.
    Laurence Fishburne plays his part brilliantly, and is the best Crawford we have seen thus far. Mads Mikkelsen provides an astonishing performance as the charming and sophisticated cannibalistic serial killer Hannibal Lecter. However, the stand-out performance of the lot is that of Hugh Dancy as Will Graham. Dancy seems to be playing to his strengths here, and fulfills the role perfectly, turning the character into his own. While the Graham in previous incarnations was simply haunted by his past in the FBI, Dancy turns the character into a sort of autistic savant.
    Dancy's character is sort of fun to watch. Sleepwalking, channeling his nightmares and feelings about the criminals he has to deal with through the ownership of an absurd number of dogs, and his diminishing mental state as the show progresses. His relationship with Lecter, and that with Abigail Hobbs, the daughter of serial killer Garret Jacob Hobbs, who Graham killed, make the character come to life. Most of the habits of Dancy's character come straight from the writings of Thomas Harris, such as his love of dogs, but otherwise it is all Dancy's intuition and his transforming of the character into his own creation.
    Let's not limit this to Dancy's performance, however. All of them were astonishing, from Laurence Fishburne's portrayal of Jack Crawford, to Mads Mikkelsen's performance as Hannibal Lecter. This has to be one of the best Lecter performances, only behind that of Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. Mikkelsen lends himself perfectly to the role, and he doesn't disappoint. The characters, and indeed the actors, all fulfill their roles perfectly, and the casting is magnificent.
    Some, mainly those who don't enjoy horror or splatter films, will probably be put off by this film and it's level of horrific violence. You will see people impaled on antlers, with the flesh cut from their backs and spread out, and having their limbs removed while they are alive. In the event that you feel put off by this sort of thing, you should probably abandon the show immediately. However, all shows are aimed at a certain kind of audience. I don't like True Blood because of the fact that it plays out more like a soap opera than an actual TV show, but some people love it for the same reasons. I love Game of Thrones, but some would be put off by it's graphic scenes of sex and violence. Same here.
    All in all, this show is magnificent. All of the acting is done brilliantly and to it's full effect, and it's as enjoyable as ever. Though it cannot appeal to everyone, nothing can, and it thrives on what it does do, so I do believe this show should continue for another season. I hope the ratings agree with me.
  72. May 23, 2013
    I love this show...Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy awesome. Laurence Fishburn also great.
    @Lar I am over 45 and a woman and love the darkness of this show. I hope that this show is renewed..so different Cant wait to see the next episode a week is a long time to wait.This show is not for the faint hearted. Also loved Dexter.
    SO bored with medical shows that go on and on....cannot
    understand how they last for so long. Expand
  73. May 22, 2013
    Brilliant. The atmosphere created here is hypnotic. Sensationally filmed and acted.. visually its very appealing. gimme me more. On late but worth the wait!
  74. May 20, 2013
    I was reluctant to get into this; a friend convinced me to give it a try & I love it. It's based on the book, Red Dragon and is a bit different from the movie. Mads Mikkelsen plays a phenomenal Hannibal and Hugh Dancy plays an interesting Special Agent Will. I actually don't mind Laurence Fishburne as Jack Crawfor, like I thought I would (had to get over my CSI issues w/ him...). I also like the female version of Freddie Lounds- also brings great dynamic to the story.

I caught up on all the episodes via TV on Demand and I gotta say that I regret not having more faith in the series from the get-go. So far, the show has great writing, powerful imagery (great special effects and is really dark for the network), and I love the creative flashbacks or visuals for Graham's for imagining he's the killer or committing horrible acts of violence- they really nail that aspect.

Looking forward to the remaining episodes of the show and hoping, if there's a season 2, that the writing will remain strong and that we'll see a seamless story showing how Hannibal gets bested and yet remains a force to be reckoned with behind bars.
  75. May 19, 2013
    What a shocking surprise! This show has the caliber to be on Showtime or HBO, yet it's airing on network television.

What I love the most is how the writers and the cinematography combine in a way where the viewer is left to imagine how the majority of the vicious crimes are committed, unlike shows like Criminal Minds which demonstrate the heinous acts. This method makes this show a
    true Horror thrill ride unlike anything on network television in the past decade.

I am very excited to see the direction they take with the show and I feel Hannibal is a piece of art.
  76. May 17, 2013
    I was reading some of those "critic reviews" and wondered what they were watching. Hannibal is a very entertaining series: quite a refresher to the usual monotonous droll that usually airs. Compared to most other crime shows, the graphic imagery presented is mediocre. I actually prefer to see more of Hannibal's techniques, since the show is covering a period in his life when he is virtually unrestrained, and suspicions are elsewhere. Mads Mikkelsen is electrifying, revealing a certain verve that resounds cheerfully in us witnesses. This series is a must watch. Expand
  77. May 17, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic, my favourite new show this year! While undoubtably not "fun for the whole family" I would highly recommend this for fans of Dexter and similar shows. Mads Mikkelsen is a gripping Hannibal Lecter with solid performances from Dancy and Fishburne as well as the supporting cast. Aside from brilliant acting, the show really shines through its presentation contrasting Hannibal's immaculate feasts and some legitimately shocking murders. While drawing criticism the fact that the show doesn't hold back is the show's greatest strength separating it from a miasma of mediocre cop dramas that flood modern television. I must admit the show lacked direction in its early episodes but now each episode is compelling and drives the story forward, leaving me "hungering" for more Hannibal. Expand
  78. May 16, 2013
    Although I love Mads Mikkelsen to death, after seeing the pilot, I was not yet entirely convinced whether the show was really going to be as great as a TV series about Hannibal Lecter should be. But next episodes made me understood how stupid was it of me to ever doubt it. As soon as I got used to seing that much flashbacks, surreal stag moments, uberclassy interior design, and p l a i d in a TV show, I sold my soul to Hannibal. In my book, Mikkelsen IS the real Hannibal Lecter, and Dancy is the real Will Graham now. Not only because it is a TV series, and they get to show way more emotion than Hopkins (whom I love) and Norton, but also because they really BETTER. What is the best, Hannibal seems to be an ultimate fangirl magnet Brian Fuller makes it obvious that he truly understands how fandoms work, and that's worthy of notice on its own. And this particular fandom is VERY commited.
    To sum up wonderful writing, beautiful, beautiful colors, feels-inducing acting, ultrasexy cast, awesome food and murder scenes this single show is the only one I will ever really n e e d in my life.
  79. May 16, 2013
    The imagery and murders have been interesting but so far I haven't seen any of the episodes wrap up nicely. They always seem to need a leap in logic to catch the killer. Also, this rendition of Will Graham is a bit aggravating. It'd be nice if the entire world didn't seem to revolve around him. The actor playing Hannibal is pretty good though.
  80. May 16, 2013
    This is a truly incredible show and a breath of fresh air for main stream television. Every year the big networks chew something old up and spit it out with a new name and a couple new actors and call it 'fresh.'
    It's is great to see a show that plays like a movie. Some find it too slow, or boring. I call that character and plot development, and it used to be important in entertainment. I
    am honestly surprised a show of this quality isn't on HBO or Showtime. And sadly, it's general acceptance by the masses may cut short a true gem on the 'knob channels.'
    I hope I'm wrong.
  81. May 14, 2013
    Two episodes in and things are promising. Not sure how Hannibal and Graham's relationship will develop but, so far, at least, I am enthralled. Mikkelsen is very good as Hannibal
  82. May 13, 2013
    This is an amazing show that pulls together every possible element needed for a successful crime thriller. I worry for the show's future based on the viewer numbers, but if it succeeds in not being cancelled it will become a stellar NBC product. In fact, NBC can only blame themselves for not achieving the viewer numbers they expected. They need to position their prime time schedule on stronger ground, which would preferably give the ax to the saturation of reality shows it airs. Anyway, I love this show, and I hope it's around for many, many years! Expand
  83. May 12, 2013
    I forgot to mention the actual way this is filmed. The "moving backwards" that Graham does really prepares the viewer. The artistic was the crimes are shot, the film style muted colors and the decisions on how to film the actors is compelling. Thumbs up to the director and his crew.
  84. May 12, 2013
    This show is easily one of the best shows I have ever seen. Being a huge gore-fan, this is definitely the show for me, and I don't think I could ever stop watching it! The cast was absolutely perfect. It's one of the most stimulating shows I've ever watched, and this is coming from a die-hard Whovian, and I love Doctor Who, and I thought nothing could top it. I was wrong, Hannibal is literally the best thing I have ever seen. I couldn't have asked for a better show~

I mean, some gore might not be good for others, but people need to learn how to use a remote. It's not that hard.

I checked out the wikia and sadly saw the amount of viewers drop by half and got a tiny bit worried. But! I'm sure those of us who watch it now won't stop watching it~ I've gotten a lot of people into it, and they love it too!

If you haven't seen this show yet, go watch it, it's the best show ever.
  85. May 11, 2013
    Mads Mikkelsen serving human organs to classical music. Great!

watch the show; sadly it may not be renewed.. such an intelligent series...
  86. May 9, 2013
    Easily one of the best shows on TV right now and the best new series in a while. It's wonderfully acted with brilliant writing and interesting characters. The only gripe I have with the show is Hannibal can be a bit hard to hear at times. But it's so little it's easily overlooked.
  87. May 7, 2013
    I have to confess I tuned into this show only for Mads Mikkelsen. I saw the first episode and felt it was okay but I am slowly getting into it especially with the end of episode 6. Well, that's when thing started getting really interesting. My Mads is straight up sick in the head and I'm loving it truly loving it. The madness, the graphic nature of the crimes, the deception and subterfuge with Hannibal is just brilliant. I am really excited to see where this show takes us because I will be front and center--wide eyed and all wanting and anticipating the next sick and twisted turn. Oh yeah the other characters are good too especially the profiler (Hugh Dancy). He brings such a raw and graphic intensity especially when he explores the mind of each killer. He is definitely an interesting and most vulnerable of all the characters because of his own frailty/fragility. Expand
  88. May 6, 2013
    I love the Hannibal Lector series by Thomas Harris and I (mostly) loved the movies. When I saw previews for Hannibal the TV show I thought, 'oh no, there is no way NBC will be able to do this story justice." Holy crap was I wrong! I watched the first episode and was pleasantly surprised that this was not just the story of Hannibal Lector or an inadequate prequel series to the movies, this was a whole new kind of awesome. After the first episode I was not completely hooked. I am a big fan of Anthony Hopkins and I was not sold on Mads Mikkelsen in the role. Now, having watched 6 episodes (including the actual episode 4 which was not aired in the US-- download it from Amazon, it is worth the $1.99) I am completely sold on Mads (I think I realized I loved him after 3), he is an amazing actor and is a disturbingly good Hannibal Lector. Characters from the movies continue to be introduced and are sometimes surprising-Freddie Lounds a woman? that is just crazy talk-- its hard to think about Phillip Seymour Hoffman in the role. The show continues to keep me on the edge of my seat. Yes, sometimes it is gory, and most of the time it is quite disturbing, but all of it is so well done. It is not a gore-fest meant to shock and awe, it is all meant to further twist the viewers mind and see deeper into all of the characters--not only Hannibal. I really hope people tune in and give this show a good run, I have not loved a show like this in, well, ever. Expand
  89. May 5, 2013
    This show is not for the squeamish, that's for sure. However, I think this is easily the best new show this year, and is in my top three for favorite shows ever. The writing is really good, the characters are super loveable (in a sometimes strange way), the plot lines in each episode are exciting. I don't think anyone would try to deny Mads Mikkelsen's outstanding performance in this show. It's so spectacular he may be out-acting Hopkins (and that is no easy task). I would definitely recommend giving this show a chance, and I'm sure you won't regret it. Enjoy!!! Expand
  90. May 4, 2013
    Great show.the acting is amazing.not for children or young adults!i
    It plunges you in the depths of the human mind and its sick wanderings while making the subjects look fairly normal.
    I
  91. May 3, 2013
    UPDATE: Started little slow, but now with episode 7, things are getting "real". One of the few shows, that makes me want to watch every week really bad!!! The actors are getting better with every episode (so they characters develop nicely). Wonderful!…
  92. May 1, 2013
    Absolutely the best show on network television right now. Hannibal has no right to be as good as it is; I fully expected the show to be completely terrible and even avoided watching the first episode until a few days after it aired (on Hulu). When I finally did watch it, I was entranced; somehow the showrunner managed to avoid every possible pitfall of making a TV show based on an iconic film and literary character.

I cannot recommend this show highly enough.

I should point out that I have also watched every episode of the dramatically inferior The Following (which has been picked up for a second season) and cannot view it as anything other than sad attempt to create what Hannibal starts off possessing. If this show does not get picked up for a second season, I am done with network TV. I hope and pray that Hannibal will be picked up by some other network if NBC decides to kill it.
  93. Apr 30, 2013
    The pilot episode doesn't jump at you straight away, but give it a chance. By the third episode the writing and great acting hooks you and you can't stop watching.
  94. Apr 27, 2013
    I love a good horror movie as well as the next but this is just not good gru. This show lacks any sense of humor or empathy. The writing is putrid and the graphics are disturbing without any redemption. Having watched the third episode I cancelled my season pass and moved on. When they leave a serial killer's daughter alone in her house, even though, she may have been involved in the murders, I threw up my hands. A suspect left alone to kill another suspect and then gets recruited by Hannibal who has time to hide the body while a crap load of cops are outside...oh yeah somehow he gets a bump on the head.....dreadful dreck! The dialogue and acting is god-awful. Oh, and the constant "eerie" soundtrack to set the mood is mind-numbing. This show is NBC's version of "Monk" meets "Criminal Minds"...feh! Expand
  95. Apr 27, 2013
    The story is so full of BS that no actor can save this show. Written with complete disregard of probability, logic and common sense. A waste of great cast, characters and your time.
  96. Apr 26, 2013
    I would have rated this show a 7 after the first two episodes but it has grown just a bit creepier now that the characters are more developed. There are some 'horror' type scenes but it is the stuff that you don't see, that is implied, that really sells it. Very good show, I'd say unique as well.
  97. Apr 26, 2013
    I don't like that often the episodes are about about a "killer of the week" that will not be referred to again. I like the Abigale Hobbs story. The episode where she killed the boy had me spellbound. I don't like self contained episodes.
  98. Apr 19, 2013
    Most certainly the best show this year. Extremely well thought out, great performances, what else do you need? Watch out for this one it's bound to attract a wider audience very quickly.
  99. Apr 16, 2013
    It's a great show, but it's not for everyone just because of the gore. However, a little blood doesn't make it bad. Hannibal is the greatest new show of the year and it combines likeable characters into a brutal world of horror and mystery.
  100. Apr 14, 2013
    I really did not like the first episode. Too many flashbacks of Will Graham. I much prefer the Thomas Harris books and his first film, MANHUNTER. This tries too hard with blood and gore but needs a better plot.

1. Reviewed by: Chuck Bowen
    Jun 18, 2013
    Hannibal is richer and more ambiguous than prior Harris adaptations; it's an exploration of social decay that's rife with literal and figurative cancers eating everyone alive from the ground up.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Apr 5, 2013
    By the end of the first hour, it has managed to make Dancy, Fishburne and Mikkelsen a formidable trio of characters, and each actor responds in kind with strong, engaging performances. Another sign of a good series is the fact that beyond the main three, the supporting cast is filled with solid actors and--more important--strong, vivid characters.
  3. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Apr 4, 2013
    It's anchored by several great performances, and it's among the more distinctive and gorgeously filmed shows on the air right now.... What did turn me off a bit in the first couple episodes of Hannibal was the victims were all young women.