Haven : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jul 9, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
7.6

1. Oct 8, 2010
    I like the sense of mystery this show had. I liked the "spooky" events tha took place. But I found ithard to focuss on the show sometimes and I'd catch myself zoning out and having to rewatch parts of it. The characters are okay (luckily thats not what you watch the show for). But I found it to be a good TV series, and the only decent TV series of the summer. I would recommed it forI like the sense of mystery this show had. I liked the "spooky" events tha took place. But I found ithard to focuss on the show sometimes and I'd catch myself zoning out and having to rewatch parts of it. The characters are okay (luckily thats not what you watch the show for). But I found it to be a good TV series, and the only decent TV series of the summer. I would recommed it for something to watch in bewtween television seasons. The plot is nicely done. Expand
  2. ksb
    Jul 27, 2011
    I really like the mystery element and trying to figure out the "who" and "why/how" of the situations they run into. I like the main characters. I can't believe the number of unanswered questions from Season 1 to Season 2. Still, that is one of the main reasons I watch too :)
  3. Aug 19, 2012
    This is one of my favorite sci-fi TV shows. The story centers around the strange events that occur in a fictional town in Maine. The town has a very puzzling and bizarre history and many of its inhabitants suffer from specific afflictions (called "The troubles") that often give them unwanted or dangerous powers. The protagonist of the series is an FBI agent, Audrey, who follows an escapedThis is one of my favorite sci-fi TV shows. The story centers around the strange events that occur in a fictional town in Maine. The town has a very puzzling and bizarre history and many of its inhabitants suffer from specific afflictions (called "The troubles") that often give them unwanted or dangerous powers. The protagonist of the series is an FBI agent, Audrey, who follows an escaped convict to the town and ends up staying after discovering that her past is somehow connected to the town. Haven has a unique story with a well-developed plot and great cliffhangers at the end of the 2nd season. The acting is terrific and the chemistry between the three main characters (Audrey, Nathan and Duke) is a big draw. I'm really surprised that it isn't on one of the major network stations in the USA. Expand
  4. Sep 21, 2010
    I enjoy this show, not for the characters but for the events that parallel the x-files with a sense of humor. I keep thinking that wanting to find the main characters mother is important, but there is not enough drama to get me there yet. The main characters are not driving the show for me, just the way events. Not even the way they solve the crime seems to be special.
  5. Oct 10, 2013
    I absolutely love this show. The production quality isn't as high as many of the bigger shows, but what they do with what they have is awesome. To many shows that have lead character as a female make is overly sexual. While the lead female is beautiful, she is smart and can rely on things other than her looks. It is a puzzle show that delves into the supernatural. Based somewhatI absolutely love this show. The production quality isn't as high as many of the bigger shows, but what they do with what they have is awesome. To many shows that have lead character as a female make is overly sexual. While the lead female is beautiful, she is smart and can rely on things other than her looks. It is a puzzle show that delves into the supernatural. Based somewhat loosely off of the Stephen King Novel "The Colorado Kid", it has just enough suspense and horror to not turn it into a slasher flick. Like usual the critics give one of my favorite shows mixed to negative reviews. I own all the seasons and will continue to buy them. Expand
  6. Dec 21, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The series finale of "Haven" was both well written and acted. At first I was leery when William Shatner was cast as the evil force behind the 'troubles' but Shatner pulled off the role well. Another surprise was the loss of some of the main characters: Dave and especially Duke Crocker. There were some tender moments when Dwight was reunited with his dead daughter while emotional ones as Audrey told Nathan she could never return after going into the void with her father and Vince. But we knew that nothing could separate those two as another "Parker" appears and the show ends up with both her and Nathan driving off to Haven. "Haven" had its 'run' and it was time to end the show. This viewer was pleased with the outcome. Expand
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    In 2010, the Syfy channel had an interesting idea, to take one of Stephen King's lesser known works, a rare dramatic mystery, The Colorado Kid, and turn it into a Science Fiction story. A lot of Syfy's original shows are way out there, but Haven is more grounded and has quickly amassed a cult following. While there are similarities to the book and other King works are referenced, the showIn 2010, the Syfy channel had an interesting idea, to take one of Stephen King's lesser known works, a rare dramatic mystery, The Colorado Kid, and turn it into a Science Fiction story. A lot of Syfy's original shows are way out there, but Haven is more grounded and has quickly amassed a cult following. While there are similarities to the book and other King works are referenced, the show is surprisingly original.

Audrey Parker (Emily Rose) is an FBI agent, who gets a tip that one of her fugitives has been spotted in the small town of Haven Maine. Parker is a terrific agent, because she knows nothing of who she is or where she came from. This beautiful, but introverted girl has put everything into her work and it has become her whole life. Once she gets to Haven, she realizes that something about this town isn't quite right, but she has no idea what she's in store for.

During her investigation, Parker meets two brothers who have run the towns newspaper for 40 years. These brother show Parker some old stories from a unsolved case 25 years earlier, the murder of the Colorado Kid. Why would Audry care about it you ask, well there is a photo in the paper, showing a woman at the crime scene who could pass for her twin.

With the chance to discover who she is and where she came from Parker takes a leave of absence from the FBI and joins the Haven P.D. only to discover that the town and it's people are afflicted with something known as the troubles. These troubled people, for some unknown reason, have ailments that allow them to do the seemingly impossible, such as shape-shifting, destruction with a thought, murder by shadow, the ability to star fires, even an artist who control things simply by drawing them.

Parker is paired with the towns only Detective, Nathan Wuornos (Lucas Bryant) who himself is a troubled person. His affliction is that he can't feel anything, an adaptation of a real disease in which people can't feel pain, Wuornos can't feel a thing. Together Parker and Wuornos investigate these troubles, trying to find out what's causing them, while at the same time, Audry tries to solve the Colorado Kid case in the hopes that she might one day find out who she is and where she comes from.

This show is fantastic and it's not just about the Science Fiction mystery that I love so much. The troubles are a big part of it, but there is also a great mystery to the whole thing, that is really left to the audience to figure out along with Audrey. The show is further boosted by the small town element, as Haven is one of these quaint towns, where everyone knows everyone else. It makes for some fabulous recurring guests, side stories, and the occasional hilarious moment.

Emily Rose is out of this world! She has always had bit parts in TV series here and there, but she's never been a star before, but when it comes to Haven she is truly the perfect one to play Audrey Parker. She brings such a different personality to a sci-fi/cop show and the way the mystery and troubles follow her really draws the audience in.

Lucas Bryant is just as interesting as we try to figure out what draws this man into this work. Sure he's trouble, but his lack of feeling has left him emotionless. At times it seems like he's doing a job he doesn't want to do, but for some reason has to.

The only other regular cast member is Eric Balfour who at the ripe age of 37 is a Science Fiction veteran. Balfour has done a ton of Sci-Fi, but finds himself in a different role in Haven. Balfour plays Duke Crocker, a petty criminal and smuggler, with a terrific sense of humor, who always seems to get caught up in these troubles cases.

Haven is amazing, it's just one of these addictive shows that draws you in right from the very first episode. The writing makes you feel like you're riding along in your hometown, trying to figure out the mystery along side the two detectives. Every episode is better than the one before it and it's just one of those shows you never want to stop watching. It is one of the best shows I have seen in ages and I really can't recommend it enough!
  8. Nov 27, 2013
    The first season of Haven is a little bumpy. It loosely based and I do mean loosely based on the Stephen King book The Colorado Kid. There are aspects of X Files. If you are looking for a recreation of the book you will be disappointed, however if you are looking for a good syfy show you could do worse. The troubles are different and not X Files. Also, the entire town is in on it. SoThe first season of Haven is a little bumpy. It loosely based and I do mean loosely based on the Stephen King book The Colorado Kid. There are aspects of X Files. If you are looking for a recreation of the book you will be disappointed, however if you are looking for a good syfy show you could do worse. The troubles are different and not X Files. Also, the entire town is in on it. So we can skip the tin foil hat society that dragged the X files down. As the season progresses you get further away from the Stephen King version. That was a starting point to get viewers interested using his name as a hook. Expand
  9. Oct 10, 2013
    Haven is an original series loosely based of a Stephen King novel. It focuses on the town of Haven where people develop supernatural abilities they can't control referred to as, the troubles. Together with Nathan Warunos, a detective who can't feel pain, attractive lead and Ex FBI officer Audrey Parker attempt to prevent peoples troubles from destroying haven. Audrey has a unique abilityHaven is an original series loosely based of a Stephen King novel. It focuses on the town of Haven where people develop supernatural abilities they can't control referred to as, the troubles. Together with Nathan Warunos, a detective who can't feel pain, attractive lead and Ex FBI officer Audrey Parker attempt to prevent peoples troubles from destroying haven. Audrey has a unique ability that makes her immune to the troubles. This helps. A lot. It's a unique and fun show, with tons and tons of character development, witt, action, suspense and many super original supernatural abilities. A must watch for fans of super powers! Expand
  10. Sep 28, 2014
    Welcome to Haven! A supernatural town full of "The Troubles" that provoke peoples lives and cause a eerie mist in the air. Watch as Audrey, an FBI agent, comes to Haven to help the Troubles, and figure about her long-lost mother.
  11. Dec 7, 2014
    Absolutely love this show! This is the best season so far...and I love the plot twists and turns. That last episode show of 2014 was great. I'm looking forward to the next part of the 5th season. Please renew for a 6th season!

1. The pilot doesn't possess much Stephen King grit--in fact, it's more like Syfy whimsy. But give it time; if Haven can become darker and more complex, as Warehouse 13 has, it could become fun summer sci-? TV.
  2. The darker tone of Haven (including a haunting piano soundtrack) and reliance on paranormal, rather than technological, story elements form an ideal counterpoint to the wonkery of "Eureka."
    Sure, Haven is fun. But I get the feeling that I'm suffering from the same attack of "been there/done that" as the lithe and lovely agent.