• Network: Syfy
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 9, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
7.6

1. Oct 10, 2013
    Haven is an original series loosely based of a Stephen King novel. It focuses on the town of Haven where people develop supernatural abilities they can't control referred to as, the troubles. Together with Nathan Warunos, a detective who can't feel pain, attractive lead and Ex FBI officer Audrey Parker attempt to prevent peoples troubles from destroying haven. Audrey has a unique abilityHaven is an original series loosely based of a Stephen King novel. It focuses on the town of Haven where people develop supernatural abilities they can't control referred to as, the troubles. Together with Nathan Warunos, a detective who can't feel pain, attractive lead and Ex FBI officer Audrey Parker attempt to prevent peoples troubles from destroying haven. Audrey has a unique ability that makes her immune to the troubles. This helps. A lot. It's a unique and fun show, with tons and tons of character development, witt, action, suspense and many super original supernatural abilities. A must watch for fans of super powers! Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2013
    In 2010, the Syfy channel had an interesting idea, to take one of Stephen King's lesser known works, a rare dramatic mystery, The Colorado Kid, and turn it into a Science Fiction story. A lot of Syfy's original shows are way out there, but Haven is more grounded and has quickly amassed a cult following. While there are similarities to the book and other King works are referenced, the showIn 2010, the Syfy channel had an interesting idea, to take one of Stephen King's lesser known works, a rare dramatic mystery, The Colorado Kid, and turn it into a Science Fiction story. A lot of Syfy's original shows are way out there, but Haven is more grounded and has quickly amassed a cult following. While there are similarities to the book and other King works are referenced, the show is surprisingly original.

Audrey Parker (Emily Rose) is an FBI agent, who gets a tip that one of her fugitives has been spotted in the small town of Haven Maine. Parker is a terrific agent, because she knows nothing of who she is or where she came from. This beautiful, but introverted girl has put everything into her work and it has become her whole life. Once she gets to Haven, she realizes that something about this town isn't quite right, but she has no idea what she's in store for.

During her investigation, Parker meets two brothers who have run the towns newspaper for 40 years. These brother show Parker some old stories from a unsolved case 25 years earlier, the murder of the Colorado Kid. Why would Audry care about it you ask, well there is a photo in the paper, showing a woman at the crime scene who could pass for her twin.

With the chance to discover who she is and where she came from Parker takes a leave of absence from the FBI and joins the Haven P.D. only to discover that the town and it's people are afflicted with something known as the troubles. These troubled people, for some unknown reason, have ailments that allow them to do the seemingly impossible, such as shape-shifting, destruction with a thought, murder by shadow, the ability to star fires, even an artist who control things simply by drawing them.

Parker is paired with the towns only Detective, Nathan Wuornos (Lucas Bryant) who himself is a troubled person. His affliction is that he can't feel anything, an adaptation of a real disease in which people can't feel pain, Wuornos can't feel a thing. Together Parker and Wuornos investigate these troubles, trying to find out what's causing them, while at the same time, Audry tries to solve the Colorado Kid case in the hopes that she might one day find out who she is and where she comes from.

This show is fantastic and it's not just about the Science Fiction mystery that I love so much. The troubles are a big part of it, but there is also a great mystery to the whole thing, that is really left to the audience to figure out along with Audrey. The show is further boosted by the small town element, as Haven is one of these quaint towns, where everyone knows everyone else. It makes for some fabulous recurring guests, side stories, and the occasional hilarious moment.

Emily Rose is out of this world! She has always had bit parts in TV series here and there, but she's never been a star before, but when it comes to Haven she is truly the perfect one to play Audrey Parker. She brings such a different personality to a sci-fi/cop show and the way the mystery and troubles follow her really draws the audience in.

Lucas Bryant is just as interesting as we try to figure out what draws this man into this work. Sure he's trouble, but his lack of feeling has left him emotionless. At times it seems like he's doing a job he doesn't want to do, but for some reason has to.

The only other regular cast member is Eric Balfour who at the ripe age of 37 is a Science Fiction veteran. Balfour has done a ton of Sci-Fi, but finds himself in a different role in Haven. Balfour plays Duke Crocker, a petty criminal and smuggler, with a terrific sense of humor, who always seems to get caught up in these troubles cases.

Haven is amazing, it's just one of these addictive shows that draws you in right from the very first episode. The writing makes you feel like you're riding along in your hometown, trying to figure out the mystery along side the two detectives. Every episode is better than the one before it and it's just one of those shows you never want to stop watching. It is one of the best shows I have seen in ages and I really can't recommend it enough!
  3. Aug 19, 2012
    This is one of my favorite sci-fi TV shows. The story centers around the strange events that occur in a fictional town in Maine. The town has a very puzzling and bizarre history and many of its inhabitants suffer from specific afflictions (called "The troubles") that often give them unwanted or dangerous powers. The protagonist of the series is an FBI agent, Audrey, who follows an escapedThis is one of my favorite sci-fi TV shows. The story centers around the strange events that occur in a fictional town in Maine. The town has a very puzzling and bizarre history and many of its inhabitants suffer from specific afflictions (called "The troubles") that often give them unwanted or dangerous powers. The protagonist of the series is an FBI agent, Audrey, who follows an escaped convict to the town and ends up staying after discovering that her past is somehow connected to the town. Haven has a unique story with a well-developed plot and great cliffhangers at the end of the 2nd season. The acting is terrific and the chemistry between the three main characters (Audrey, Nathan and Duke) is a big draw. I'm really surprised that it isn't on one of the major network stations in the USA. Expand
  4. Sep 21, 2010
    http://tvtastic.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/haven-syfy-friday-1000-p-m/ As noted in the show description, SyFy's new show Haven is based on a Steven King 184 page novel titled The Colorado Kid. From what I read at iMDB before I saw the pilot, the title is one of the few things the show and the book actually share in common. The Colorado Kid was a departure from Stephen King's normal fare ofhttp://tvtastic.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/haven-syfy-friday-1000-p-m/ As noted in the show description, SyFy's new show Haven is based on a Steven King 184 page novel titled The Colorado Kid. From what I read at iMDB before I saw the pilot, the title is one of the few things the show and the book actually share in common. The Colorado Kid was a departure from Stephen King's normal fare of the supernatural and just a straight-up mystery/crime novel. Haven is exactly the opposite and apparently it was this way at the direction of King himself who wanted this television version of his story to have a science fiction premise to it. That's really all the interesting information I can provide about this show because there really is nothing more interesting about it except for the fact that for some reason, out of all of the Stephen King stories, SyFy chose to make a series out of the one that was universally panned by the critics. Haven is what I like to call a poor-man's attempt at The X-Files except for instead of the cases taking place all over the country, all of these cases take place in small, mythical town of Haven, Maine, which I guess is just one big X-File. Unlike other attempts to capture the spirit of The X-Files while still remaining unique (such as FOX's Fringe or even SyFy's Warehouse 13) Haven makes absolutely no attempt to be original whatsoever. I've now watched 1.75 episodes (I was so annoyed by the second episode I turned it off early ) and all I've seen is poorly recycled and predictable plots from old X-Files episodes, a bunch of supporting characters that don't do a thing for me and a "who's-who" of Canadian character actor casting (which is the only reason occasionally one of them sounds like they might actually be from Maine).

Our leads are Agent Audrey Parker (Emily Rose) and Officer (Detective?) Nathan Wournos (Lucas Bryant) and let's just put it this way: they're no Scully and Mulder. They have absolutely no on-screen chemistry and neither one of their parts is very well-written. By the time I got halfway through the second episode, Butterfly, I wanted to punch Supercop (and I mean that literally... the character doesn't feel pain) Nathan right in the face. I think it's safe to say that one of the benchmarks for good TV is that you shouldn't want to punch the protagonist in the face by the second episode, so you can kind of see where all of this is headed. The only redeeming factor of Butterfly was the absolutely stellar performance by one of my favorite character actors of all-time, Stephen McHattie, who is better known to Star Trek fans as Senator Vreenak from arguably the best Trek episode ever made, Deep Space Nine's In the Pale Moonlight. But even McHattie's brilliant performance is not enough to save this dud of a series. Yes, this series is so bad that I have to throw in a Star Trek reference just to bring some level of excitement to an otherwise awful review experience.

I am very disappointed in Haven. When I watched the pilot, I wasn't very impressed but I wanted to give it another chance because there was so much buzz about it and it was so eagerly anticipated by SyFy (and Sci Fi) fans. Unfortunately, though, it didn't just not improve from the pilot to the second episode, it actually got much worse. The writing is lackluster and flat and the audience simply cannot empathize with any of the characters and I have to say that even by SyFy's standards, these are some of the worst CGI effects I've ever seen. The only reason I even gave it a 3 is because of McHattie. I'm sorry, but I simply have no time for bad TV.
  5. Sep 21, 2010
    I enjoy this show, not for the characters but for the events that parallel the x-files with a sense of humor. I keep thinking that wanting to find the main characters mother is important, but there is not enough drama to get me there yet. The main characters are not driving the show for me, just the way events. Not even the way they solve the crime seems to be special.
  6. Nov 27, 2013
    The first season of Haven is a little bumpy. It loosely based and I do mean loosely based on the Stephen King book The Colorado Kid. There are aspects of X Files. If you are looking for a recreation of the book you will be disappointed, however if you are looking for a good syfy show you could do worse. The troubles are different and not X Files. Also, the entire town is in on it. SoThe first season of Haven is a little bumpy. It loosely based and I do mean loosely based on the Stephen King book The Colorado Kid. There are aspects of X Files. If you are looking for a recreation of the book you will be disappointed, however if you are looking for a good syfy show you could do worse. The troubles are different and not X Files. Also, the entire town is in on it. So we can skip the tin foil hat society that dragged the X files down. As the season progresses you get further away from the Stephen King version. That was a starting point to get viewers interested using his name as a hook. Expand
  7. Oct 8, 2010
    I like the sense of mystery this show had. I liked the "spooky" events tha took place. But I found ithard to focuss on the show sometimes and I'd catch myself zoning out and having to rewatch parts of it. The characters are okay (luckily thats not what you watch the show for). But I found it to be a good TV series, and the only decent TV series of the summer. I would recommed it forI like the sense of mystery this show had. I liked the "spooky" events tha took place. But I found ithard to focuss on the show sometimes and I'd catch myself zoning out and having to rewatch parts of it. The characters are okay (luckily thats not what you watch the show for). But I found it to be a good TV series, and the only decent TV series of the summer. I would recommed it for something to watch in bewtween television seasons. The plot is nicely done. Expand
  8. ksb
    Jul 27, 2011
    I really like the mystery element and trying to figure out the "who" and "why/how" of the situations they run into. I like the main characters. I can't believe the number of unanswered questions from Season 1 to Season 2. Still, that is one of the main reasons I watch too :)
  9. May 9, 2011
    Without having read the book on which the series is based, I find the plot quite interesting in the individual chapters, but the whole story is dark and misunderstanding. Besides, the Audrey character has no strenght, too much flat played, largely better played the male starring characters and, obviously much more better the secondary ones. Just for boring Sunday evenings.
  10. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I came to this show being a fan of Supernatural, Grimm, and the X-Files. I wasn't expecting a well written gem... just an entertaining sci-fi show. After watching the first episode, though, the writing stuck out... in a very, very bad way. The show begins with Audrey (could barely remember her name) driving to Haven to catch a criminal we don't know much about... by herself. She crashes on a bridge, and this is where things get really bad.

Half of her car is dangling off the cliff. She isn't the least bit paniced. She actually turns off the radio while her car is dangling there. I thought "maybe this show is supposed to be a comedy", but it isn't. But it gets worse... a guy comes and asks her if she needs help. While her car is sitting there about to fall off the cliff. She says no... this is not a time normal people joke around, yet they're doing it.

So he pulls her out anyways, and the car crashes. I didn't think it could get any worse. I was very wrong. He sees that she's wearing a gun on her belt and they draw on each other. What the He saves her life, then pulls a gun on her for no reason. They begin asking who the other one is. The terrible writing is so thick here that it's pathetic.

So later on in the episode, she gets thrown into the ocean unconscious after a power box explodes. She gets rescued by a smuggler... and when she wakes up, she's not the least bit disoriented. Her first question is "where are my clothes?".

Unfortunately the entire first season is like this. The characters treat life or death situations like they're some big joke, they do things that make no logical sense, and they jump to ridiculous conclusions. The only part of the movie where they show emotion is during the "romantic" scenes. And they're so overacted that it might as well "the bold and the beautiful 2.0". It's thicker than a soap opera.

This type of writing just bores you. The characters never really fear for their life, so why should you? I think a good way to describe this show is smallville meets ripoff of xfiles.
  11. Aug 16, 2010
    Fun to watch. Not boring at all. I like to see how the story line unfolds over the next few weeks. Steven King is one of America's movie icons. I don't think there are many like him. He is a master in his own category.
  12. Oct 10, 2013
    I absolutely love this show. The production quality isn't as high as many of the bigger shows, but what they do with what they have is awesome. To many shows that have lead character as a female make is overly sexual. While the lead female is beautiful, she is smart and can rely on things other than her looks. It is a puzzle show that delves into the supernatural. Based somewhatI absolutely love this show. The production quality isn't as high as many of the bigger shows, but what they do with what they have is awesome. To many shows that have lead character as a female make is overly sexual. While the lead female is beautiful, she is smart and can rely on things other than her looks. It is a puzzle show that delves into the supernatural. Based somewhat loosely off of the Stephen King Novel "The Colorado Kid", it has just enough suspense and horror to not turn it into a slasher flick. Like usual the critics give one of my favorite shows mixed to negative reviews. I own all the seasons and will continue to buy them. Expand
  13. Sep 28, 2014
    Welcome to Haven! A supernatural town full of "The Troubles" that provoke peoples lives and cause a eerie mist in the air. Watch as Audrey, an FBI agent, comes to Haven to help the Troubles, and figure about her long-lost mother.
  14. Dec 7, 2014
    Absolutely love this show! This is the best season so far...and I love the plot twists and turns. That last episode show of 2014 was great. I'm looking forward to the next part of the 5th season. Please renew for a 6th season!
  15. Oct 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Haven is a small town with a case of "The Troubles". Unfortunately the troubles don't originate within the town but within the writing. Even the phrase "The Troubles" is painful. It's like something a loathed aunt would say to you if you had a stomach ache. It is almost as bad as the term "werepanther" from True Blood. Almost.

The story centers around 3 characters: An FBI agent, a local cop and a smuggler who investigate problems that arise in a port town of Maine. It sounds like a decent set up for television series but the characters are bland, they have no chemistry and the script is so nasty it continues to push you out of the story as you shake your head in shame and disbelief. At points in the series you can just see the anguish in the actor's faces as they have to work their way through scenes that make no sense within the story or their character.

The series feels like the writers have no one editing their work. No litmus test for realism or consistency. The characters swap love interests faster than a daytime drama, and that is no easy feat. By the end of the first episode Audrey is ready to leave the FBI behind to dive deep into Haven's mysteries. I could see it coming but it makes no sense. She has spent a lifetime becoming an FBI agent to throw it away on a photo a couple of news hacks show her. Who writes stuff like this? And every episode has gems like this.

After the third episode I actually decided to turn the show into a drinking game. Every time a character would say or do something stupid I would take a drink. There has yet to be an episode where I don't finish a beer.

I would say this show is a vision of the future when emotionless robots take over and write television dramas but that is an insult to robots since they must, by design, be logical and this show rarely achieves that.

Unless you are looking for a laugh, a drink or an example of writing gone horribly wrong skip this and tune into fringe or x-files reruns.
  16. Oct 13, 2013
    I've just finished watching Season 3 and would love to be able to rate it higher but for Mr. King's pervasive anti-Christian bigotry with which he once again taints an otherwise good storyline. If a character such as Reverend Driscoll ever existed anywhere but in the mind of Stephen King, they certainly were exposed & opposed by the majority of normal, decent, loving Christians whom Mr.I've just finished watching Season 3 and would love to be able to rate it higher but for Mr. King's pervasive anti-Christian bigotry with which he once again taints an otherwise good storyline. If a character such as Reverend Driscoll ever existed anywhere but in the mind of Stephen King, they certainly were exposed & opposed by the majority of normal, decent, loving Christians whom Mr. King NEVER portrays in any of his stories.
    Doesn't it seem strange, that in a town as big as Haven, there is only ONE church and minister representing Christianity?
    Such cowardly cheap-shot mischaracterizations would not to be tolerated if it were directed at Muslims of Jews. As every member of the media and entertainment industry knows: You never want to speak ill of Islam...even if it is true...or you'll get the Van Gogh treatement. As for disparaging Jews... Well you'd just be cutting yourself off at the financial knee-caps.
    No, Mr. King is no bold David taking on a malevolent juggernaut, but in fact a COWARD who has repeatedly chosen a "safe target he knows will not strike back in any fashion he needs to fear. So in short He is a Bully, and a bigoted one at that.
    If Christians really were the miscreants of violence and intolerance he portrays them to be, his career would have been a short one.

Every artist has their signature within their work: It seems you can always know it's a Stephen King work if it's filled with vile, bigoted, mischaracterizations of Christians.

I think more honest people need to call him out on this: Bigotry and intolerance in any form has no place among us, and should not be rewarded.

My ratings reflect the good work of the actors/actresses, and others who made this series enjoyable despite Mr. King's hatefulness. Thank you.
  17. Aug 8, 2014
    Best described as a nickel back concert on tv crossed with a scooby doo episode and a salem witch hunt. Every show starts and finishes about the same, Haven is the towns name 'the troubles' are happenings that scoobie and pals cant work out-frogs from the sky, blood in the rainwater, life sucked out of bodies blah blah blah.
    They show up every 27 years when Audrey comes back as someone
    They show up every 27 years when Audrey comes back as someone else.
    The actors just aren't interested, they are in it for the pay check.
    Audrey looks like she wishes she had taken up the porno offer instead. Although when she smiles she lights the room up.
    Duke and Nathan are there clearly because they have bills to pay.
    The only things that might help it is a sex scene and an alien invasion.
    No one knows who the colarado kid is and if you've seen a few episodes you'll see nobody cares.
    I have watched it all not to see what happens next, just to see if anything does happen.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    The pilot doesn't possess much Stephen King grit--in fact, it's more like Syfy whimsy. But give it time; if Haven can become darker and more complex, as Warehouse 13 has, it could become fun summer sci-? TV.
  2. The darker tone of Haven (including a haunting piano soundtrack) and reliance on paranormal, rather than technological, story elements form an ideal counterpoint to the wonkery of "Eureka."
    Sure, Haven is fun. But I get the feeling that I'm suffering from the same attack of "been there/done that" as the lithe and lovely agent.