• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
8.2

1. Oct 2, 2011
    I'll admit, I wasn't planning to watch "Homeland" at all. Since 9/11, few television shows have treated the subject of national security with subtlety, insight, or the slightest hint of moral complexity, preferring a lobotomized patriotism that flattens characters into stick figures, stories into lessons, and ideas into platitudes. Given that Showtime's new offering didn't strain veryI'll admit, I wasn't planning to watch "Homeland" at all. Since 9/11, few television shows have treated the subject of national security with subtlety, insight, or the slightest hint of moral complexity, preferring a lobotomized patriotism that flattens characters into stick figures, stories into lessons, and ideas into platitudes. Given that Showtime's new offering didn't strain very hard to distinguish its title from ABC's egregious "Homeland Security," I assumed it would offer more of the same, though with better production values. I ended up watching the pilot because of Damian Lewis, not just because he's talented but because he tends to choose challenging, interesting projects. And "Homeland" does indeed look as though it may stand comparison with "Life" and "Band of Brothers." At the center of the series is a profound and pressing question: is a rescued American POW the same man he was before? Or has he become a traitor of the deadliest sort, repudiating American values just as he becomes a national symbol of them? It's a question that is both ingenious as a plot device and profoundly important, affecting countries and communities such as the armed forces, as well as the soldier's friends, family, and the man himself. And, so far, it remains a real question, because, on "Homeland," no character's judgment is without problems that make it at least slightly untrustworthy, so no one who claims to know the truth actually does. Thrilling stuff! And the series does indeed have Showtime's customary polish, starting with excellent acting by principals and walk-ons alike. Lewis's depiction of surface calm and subterranean chaos is, as expected, mesmerizing; he can do more with a single cheek muscle than most actors can with an extended soliloquy. I was almost as pleased not to recognize Claire Danes as an unstable CIA expert, a smart, edgy performance that perfectly balances strength and weakness. My only quibble, so far, is with a few minor plot details that seem improbable--and, for all I know, these will turn out to be clever bits of misdirection intended to fool the likes of me. Otherwise, if the series maintains the energy and intelligence of the pilot, it should appeal to a large, enthusiastic audience. Expand
  2. Nov 6, 2011
    I don't want to write a review, but this show is so bad it should be on CBS. One only has to watch for fifteen minutes before complete frustration sets in. A viewer who has (a) served in the military or CIA (b) knows someone who has (c) has read at least a single book on the subject, or (d) is not a **** moron in general, will realize how idiotic this show treats such sensitive butI don't want to write a review, but this show is so bad it should be on CBS. One only has to watch for fifteen minutes before complete frustration sets in. A viewer who has (a) served in the military or CIA (b) knows someone who has (c) has read at least a single book on the subject, or (d) is not a **** moron in general, will realize how idiotic this show treats such sensitive but extremely serious and formal subject matter. I'd love to say more, but I don't feel like devoting my time to nonsense. I'm sorry that critics like this. Very disappointing. It just goes to show that even the experts can be wrong now and again. Expand
  3. Oct 6, 2011
    If you are able to suspend belief that a blonde girl can walk around Baghdad, sorry, a CIA intelligence blonde girl , in the midst of the insurgency, then, this is the movie for you. If you are a fan of Breaking Bad where each detail is intricately woven then you will be disappointed . This is an American show for an American audience.
  4. Oct 26, 2011
    Homeland is just bad.
    A CIA agent convinced that a man is a terrorist without any proof convinces another CIA agent with the most stupid thing ever seen. If you're a patriotic american that's your show. If you're a person looking for a good show then you'll dislike this.
  5. Oct 28, 2011
    I don't understand how the critics can give this show universal acclaim! It is dull and poorly scripted with lazy character development. The main female character is just a ball of cliches; wow, an agent with a drug problem who's promiscuous but great at her job who goes home and throws herself around her crummy apartment. Amazing, however did you come up with such an original andI don't understand how the critics can give this show universal acclaim! It is dull and poorly scripted with lazy character development. The main female character is just a ball of cliches; wow, an agent with a drug problem who's promiscuous but great at her job who goes home and throws herself around her crummy apartment. Amazing, however did you come up with such an original and compelling character? Expand
  6. Oct 2, 2011
    I watched the pilot for this show online, and I have never seen anything like it before. It is truly brilliant and Claire Danes is one of the greatest actresses alive.
  7. Mar 9, 2012
    Great, suspenseful, and realistic show.
  8. Oct 28, 2011
    All I can say is, I watched 3 or 4 episodes of this and I was hoping it would pick up a little more but no it didn't so I stopped watching it it's to obvious that everyone is acting it's just bad acting and boring stuff the only entertainment in this is the Anna form V lol who plays the wife of the turncoat anyway that's it .
  9. Dec 21, 2011
    After hearing both good and bad reviews about Homeland, I decided to give it a try. After watching the entire series thus far, I found that everything about this show was predictable and poorly done. While Claire Danes has been great in her role, her performance wasn't enough to make this show even tolerable.
  10. Oct 31, 2011
    This show has a good story and can be thrilling at some points I'll give it that, but I think that's as far as I'm willing to go. What bothers me most is the character Carrie Mathison, I refuse to believe that the CIA would ever hire her let a lone she is America's best chance. In each show she somehow finds the need to complain about something like my boss isn't giving me any support, orThis show has a good story and can be thrilling at some points I'll give it that, but I think that's as far as I'm willing to go. What bothers me most is the character Carrie Mathison, I refuse to believe that the CIA would ever hire her let a lone she is America's best chance. In each show she somehow finds the need to complain about something like my boss isn't giving me any support, or the government isn't giving me enough power, or I need drugs for my health which I keep secret, etc. I do want to see if Nick Brody has been turned, and I do want to see him caught if he has but I simply can't see Carrie Mathison being the person to save the day. That's my verdict. Expand
  11. Nov 21, 2011
    Completely unbelievable, the pilot offers a young, blond girl in Baghdad -- without her face covered -- that is so lame. The acting is subpar and there's too much English spoken which makes it more unrealistic that it needs to be. Has a cheap television look to it, probably shot on subpar digital equipment. If you expect something along the lines of the seminal 24, Homeland will leave youCompletely unbelievable, the pilot offers a young, blond girl in Baghdad -- without her face covered -- that is so lame. The acting is subpar and there's too much English spoken which makes it more unrealistic that it needs to be. Has a cheap television look to it, probably shot on subpar digital equipment. If you expect something along the lines of the seminal 24, Homeland will leave you very, very disappointed. Expand
  12. Jan 5, 2012
    Oh my gosh, why did I let myself get sucked into this program! I agree that it's not as "24" as one might expect from the title or commercials, but that's only because NOTHING EVER HAPPENS! It's not because this show is realistic or anything. There are still seriously preposterous plot lines going on here, they just travel in circles and dead ends with no payout for the viewer. This is notOh my gosh, why did I let myself get sucked into this program! I agree that it's not as "24" as one might expect from the title or commercials, but that's only because NOTHING EVER HAPPENS! It's not because this show is realistic or anything. There are still seriously preposterous plot lines going on here, they just travel in circles and dead ends with no payout for the viewer. This is not high art - you aren't going to learn anything about human existence from this show. It's just a series of dramatic episodes with a whole lot of climax and no resolution. The season finale was the biggest disappointment of all. That said, Claire Danes is a fantastic actress. It's worth watching an episode just to see that quality of acting on television, but don't let yourself get sucked into the plot, hoping for any conclusion. Expand
  13. Dec 24, 2011
    Flawed premise. This show is based on a flawed premise. The type of situations that take place in Homeland would have you believe that highly organized Muslim terrorists are sneaking around every corner of the country. The episodes are well acted with some nice moments as far as character goes. The characters are interesting. The main problem with the show is the plot. It'sFlawed premise. This show is based on a flawed premise. The type of situations that take place in Homeland would have you believe that highly organized Muslim terrorists are sneaking around every corner of the country. The episodes are well acted with some nice moments as far as character goes. The characters are interesting. The main problem with the show is the plot. It's incredibly frustrating to have a show operate on such an obvious and silly premise. It's almost as if Homeland was penned by Homeland Security to make you look under your bed for terrorists. It does nothing to dispel stereotypes but only adds to them and uses them to influence the audience's suspicion of one of the main characters.

All in all
    Homeland is a huge letdown
  14. Dec 1, 2011
    A show about a CIA agent trying to stop a terrorist attack? Not exactly original but the show does it very well. I was drawn to the show after seeing such good reviews, and decided to give it a chance since most of Showtimes series are very good.

And i was not disappointed. The pacing is excellent, closer to that of a movie than tv show. The first season isn't over, and more has been revealed than most shows do in multiple seasons.

The question I have is what will happen with subsequent seasons. At this pace, the main story of whether Brody is turned or not will be concluded by the end of season one, unless there is another twist, which is very possible. I just hope they do not change Brody into a "good guy" because then the show loses it's main source of momentum and will become very cliche.

If you are looking for a well-acted, fast paced, high quality series, look no further. After getting past the generic first half of the pilot, the true source of this show's intrigue is revealed, and it becomes hard to look away...
  15. Jan 31, 2012
    Completely unbelievable characters and plot twists. If a marine turns because of 60 civilian casualties there wouldn't be anybody left in the US Forces... Watch Generation Kill instead!
  16. Oct 18, 2011
    The show is good. My problem is with Metacritics deeply flawed system of rating entire seasons based on the reviews of only the the first episode. They need a per episode rating and then a cumulative rating based on all of the episodes after the season ends. For a site like this, you'd think it would be a no brainer.
  17. nom
    Dec 3, 2011
    Very disappointing. Some of the acting, many of the characters and most of the plot lack believability. Worst of all though, episode after episode goes by without much of import happening, and the shows end up committing the cardinal sin of being boring. Claire Danes and Damian Lewis do find their moments to shine though.
  18. Dec 29, 2011
    From my analysis the show is a decent premise with bad acting & not altogether the best casting and writing, but it does do well in managing to flesh out and use to their advantage American post 9/11 paranoia.
  19. Jan 15, 2012
    there is 1 true story for those who are unable to sleep. it is such a boring and slow moving story that you fall asleep almost after 10 minutes of the episode. not sure why such a slow slow movie...the plot is dull and the acting are bad. normally when i see the rating was set so high from the reviews, thought it was an exciting crime suspense thrilling show; to my utter disappointmentthere is 1 true story for those who are unable to sleep. it is such a boring and slow moving story that you fall asleep almost after 10 minutes of the episode. not sure why such a slow slow movie...the plot is dull and the acting are bad. normally when i see the rating was set so high from the reviews, thought it was an exciting crime suspense thrilling show; to my utter disappointment this show is so slow that they spell out every details of the spying of the naval sergeant that just came back etc Expand
  20. Oct 3, 2012
    Somewhat interesting, but the main character is not believable. An American prisoner of war turned terrorist and then back again, and then back again ... No thank you. Damian Lewis is great, though, Claire Dnaes not so much.
  21. Oct 4, 2012
    So, I hear that this little show is critically acclaimed--Wow, I think. It's won an Emmy AND a Golden Globe for best drama series, during it's FIRST season! So, I think--this show is a MUST see. Well, over the course of 4 days, I plow through all 12 episodes of the first season, and I NEVER want to revisit this show again. The storytelling was slow and sloppy to the point at which it neverSo, I hear that this little show is critically acclaimed--Wow, I think. It's won an Emmy AND a Golden Globe for best drama series, during it's FIRST season! So, I think--this show is a MUST see. Well, over the course of 4 days, I plow through all 12 episodes of the first season, and I NEVER want to revisit this show again. The storytelling was slow and sloppy to the point at which it never really hooked me--and I seriously look for these things in a TV show. There's no real plausibility in what happens throughout the show. I find it very difficult to believe that people love this show and would award it over what Breaking Bad did in the 4th season. I just don't get it. Expand
  22. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show has become completely unrealistic and absurd. You can't be a CIA agent and have bi-polar disorder, but if you do have it evidently you can go to the Middle East on the CIA's behalf to get intelligence for them from one of your former contacts. Revealing Carrie's disorder to her bosses killed the show after just one season. Also, what about the classified documents she had in her personal possession? She should be in prison for season 2. What a waste this show turned out to be. I watched the 1st season right after hearing about the Emmy wins. I thought if it can beat Breaking Bad, Mad Men, AND Boardwalk Empire it must be good, but I thought wrong. It WAS a very good show (not close to the 3 I just mentioned) but they turned it into the same unrealistic story 24 was. The writers & creators just play the audience for idiots while they count their money. How anyone could give this show a positive score is beyond me. I would give this show a negative score if I could. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time even getting started with it. Expand
  23. Nov 19, 2012
    I hate shows like this. Characters are well-acted, and it's an adequate portrayal of how messed up home lives can be, but the whole show makes me angry. The "good guys" are all bumbling idiots, who mess up every single thing they touch through lack of interdepartmental communication, secrets being held by those in power, and moles inside the agencies. The "bad guys," however, are perfectlyI hate shows like this. Characters are well-acted, and it's an adequate portrayal of how messed up home lives can be, but the whole show makes me angry. The "good guys" are all bumbling idiots, who mess up every single thing they touch through lack of interdepartmental communication, secrets being held by those in power, and moles inside the agencies. The "bad guys," however, are perfectly synchronized, all-powerful, and able to get away with everything. Claire Danes' character is seemingly sabotaged at every single turn by almost everyone (including herself). Every time she gets close, it gets taken away, over and over and over and over and over. It's the TV equivalent of that person you knew who used to drive their car 5 feet forward every time you reached for the door handle. The first few times can be forgiven, but enough is enough. This may be the perfect example of how government agencies really work, but it makes for insanely aggravating and frustrating television. I don't watch TV to be annoyed. I will not be tuning in for any further seasons. Expand
  24. Nov 11, 2011
    I didn't know Temple Grandin was in the CIA. Half a season in and I'm still waiting for this to go somewhere. Clare Danes is uncomfortable to watch in this role and for me, not believable.
  25. Mar 29, 2012
    Really, no critic thought this was even a mediocre show? It shows how flawed an aggregate system like metacritic can be when this is the highest rated TV show. This is at best a middling network drama. At worst a pretty deplorable ensemble of unbelievable characters and ridiculous storylines. For some reason I watched the entire season, and not once did I even consider the whodunnitReally, no critic thought this was even a mediocre show? It shows how flawed an aggregate system like metacritic can be when this is the highest rated TV show. This is at best a middling network drama. At worst a pretty deplorable ensemble of unbelievable characters and ridiculous storylines. For some reason I watched the entire season, and not once did I even consider the whodunnit elements of the plot. I was totally uninterested. I'm a sucker for the cliche bi-polar hard drinking protagonist but even that wasn't enough for me to care about Claire Danes' character by the end. The whole soldier coming home dynamic also made no sense and was carried out so poorly. pretty awful show. Expand
  26. Dec 22, 2012
    The reason this show is bad is that it is completely unrealistically full of plot holes and giant unrealistic mistakes. Oh I'll just send a text message to a terrorist half way around the world from the room where they are running the operation to kill him, he'll get the text message 1 second before we pull the trigger, which is enough time for him to get into a vehicle and then we won'tThe reason this show is bad is that it is completely unrealistically full of plot holes and giant unrealistic mistakes. Oh I'll just send a text message to a terrorist half way around the world from the room where they are running the operation to kill him, he'll get the text message 1 second before we pull the trigger, which is enough time for him to get into a vehicle and then we won't be able to locate him. Yep, completely believable. The terrorists also have an assault team that can take down 7 armed agents in a small store except no one hears the gun fight or calls the police - totally unbelievable. I really have no idea how this show is getting such great reviews. They just throw in all sorts of other unlikely problems like the 2 kids running over a lady in their car, or an alcoholic disabled veteran who is figuring the entire secret terrorist plot out faster than the CIA. Your IQ must be below 70 if you find this show in anyway plausible or enjoyable. There are some interesting moments, but the improbability of the crap that they expect the viewer to buy into is too much. You just sit there the whole time thinking, "this would never happen." It might be ok, but they're trying to pass this show off as realistic. It is not. Expand
  27. Oct 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To put it simply, this is the best new fall show. Damien Lewis yet again proves that he was more than a one hit wonder as Major Winters. His portrayal of sgt. Brody has stirrings of iconic character etched into its potential slot.. Well written and even better preformed, the ticks of a man who's just been brought back from the dead are performed with such nuance that if Lewis keeps this up he'll be looking at emmy's in no time. Daines is just as fantastic, in her portrayal of a bipolar CIA agent. No massive fits, no absurd outbursts, just Daines portraying a woman who is fighting for her country while trying to keep it together. The pilot keeps the plot to simply setup. No radical and insane ideas that you would find in shows like 24. Instead it plays like what one would imagine a return from the afterlife would be like for a soldier who gave his all fro his country. The writing is tense without pushing to hard, emotional without being throwaway fluff, intelligent without losing its gravitas. If the rest of the season delivers on what the pilot has proposed, I will be glued to it from start to finish. Expand
  28. Dec 21, 2011
    Great 2011 final. Good balance in characters. Real suspense, exactly what we would have expected from the beginning. And special reward to Brody's daughter who brings the emotion. The way it was moving at the beginning, I wouldn't have though I would take that pleasure in the end.
  29. Jan 18, 2013
    So many unbelievable elements mostly revolving around Carrie Mathison's character (bi-polar CIA agent who leaves windows WIDE OPEN in her house with SURVEILLANCE monitors and documents photos in PLAIN VIEW from any would be passer by). She continually goes rogue, gets caught only to have superiors ultimately look the other way. As a protagonist, good luck feeling sympathetic for her!So many unbelievable elements mostly revolving around Carrie Mathison's character (bi-polar CIA agent who leaves windows WIDE OPEN in her house with SURVEILLANCE monitors and documents photos in PLAIN VIEW from any would be passer by). She continually goes rogue, gets caught only to have superiors ultimately look the other way. As a protagonist, good luck feeling sympathetic for her!

Too bad HBO doesn't have a Terrorism show!
  30. Nov 14, 2011
    You know, this is easily the best new show on. And perhaps the best thing that Showtime has ever aired. Maybe even including the movies. Because everything works out here. Last year the best new show was Boardwalk Empire on HBO. Now Showtime has tooken that delightful spot with Homeland. I am more than impressed.
  31. Feb 18, 2012
    An intriguing and engaging drama that is striking in its realism. The dilemma at the core of the story will no doubt keep many viewers hooked and the show does a good job of maintaining it throughout the season. The two leads are excellent, especially Claire Danes who plays an obsessive and tenacious CIA agent. The supporting cast are all given depth and contribute to the overall story.An intriguing and engaging drama that is striking in its realism. The dilemma at the core of the story will no doubt keep many viewers hooked and the show does a good job of maintaining it throughout the season. The two leads are excellent, especially Claire Danes who plays an obsessive and tenacious CIA agent. The supporting cast are all given depth and contribute to the overall story. Each episode is paced well so that the story seldom sags and holds viewer interest. However, I can't help but feel that Homeland is missing something that would take it from 'great TV show' to 'classic TV show'. I haven't been able to pinpoint just what this is but regardless, Homeland is still one of the best new series of 2011. Expand
  32. Jan 13, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant. One hour of my life that I am happy to be spend on TV. The entire cast is fantastic and Claire Danes is an amazing lead. This should be a hit at the Emmys.
  33. Dec 21, 2011
    Given the lack of any great shows on TV right now, Homeland does a good job of filling the void. It is not amazing, but it is a solid, good show. I likened it to 24 with less action and replacing Jack Bauer with an annoying Claire Danes. Saul is awesome, as are the Marines and the suspense of not knowing who is a good guy and who is a "terrorist". The show really gets into gear towards theGiven the lack of any great shows on TV right now, Homeland does a good job of filling the void. It is not amazing, but it is a solid, good show. I likened it to 24 with less action and replacing Jack Bauer with an annoying Claire Danes. Saul is awesome, as are the Marines and the suspense of not knowing who is a good guy and who is a "terrorist". The show really gets into gear towards the end. I was somewhat disappointed with the outcome of the season finale, but it certainly kept me in suspense the whole time. Most episodes are available on-demand or online to keep you entertained in-between Dexter episodes or until Game of Thrones and Spartacus return. Expand
  34. Oct 9, 2011
    I have been hooked on it since the first episode. Homeland is one to keep you on the edge of your seat, and I wish my Sunday nights would come sooner.
  35. Oct 7, 2011
    This is the one to watch for 2011-2012. Gripping story line, excellent actors and a perfectly matched soundtrack. Think Eyes Wide Shut plonking piano but miles better and utterly relevant. Am ready for the next episode and cant wait to see where this goes. V's Anna showing a bit of breast too, what would would Diana make of that!
  36. Oct 9, 2011
    Everyone has said enough I believe; I do not need to say much more than Homeland is high quality stuff, with some superb performances from some superb actors. Damien Lewis+Claire Danes+Mandy Pantinkin=Acting heaven. Even the kids are great.. Go watch it.
  37. Oct 13, 2011
    Sin dudas hasta lo que se puedo de la serie pinta para ser uno de los mejores (si no el mejor) estreno del año, muy buen guion, buenos diálogos, excelentes actuaciones, y como si esto fuera poco uno se regocija la vista viendo a Claire Danes, que mas se puede pedir?
  38. Oct 19, 2011
    I happen to turn to Showtime just as the pilot was airing so i figured i would give it a chance since there was a lot of hype about it and that Mandy Patinkin is in it. The acting is very well done and the storyline is not to complicated to understand. After i saw the second episode, i am now hooked. I love it so much i just created an account on here so i could tell you this. Homeland =I happen to turn to Showtime just as the pilot was airing so i figured i would give it a chance since there was a lot of hype about it and that Mandy Patinkin is in it. The acting is very well done and the storyline is not to complicated to understand. After i saw the second episode, i am now hooked. I love it so much i just created an account on here so i could tell you this. Homeland = 5 stars! Expand
  39. Mar 1, 2012
    First of all, i believe if a show gets on Showtime, It must be good, example A, Dexter. This is no exception. the premise is an American POW is found and freed. The CIA is noticing that threats are rising and an agent assumes its the POW. I dont want to get anymore in detail but the story is excellent and never really stops leaving you at the end of each episode wanting more. The onlyFirst of all, i believe if a show gets on Showtime, It must be good, example A, Dexter. This is no exception. the premise is an American POW is found and freed. The CIA is noticing that threats are rising and an agent assumes its the POW. I dont want to get anymore in detail but the story is excellent and never really stops leaving you at the end of each episode wanting more. The only other shows that had me this way are; Dexter, 24, The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad (I watch a lot of TV, don't judge me). This has become one of my favorite new shows and I say you must watch the first episode, after that you'll be hooked. Expand
  40. Jan 11, 2012
    Just finished watching the season finale and was blown away at how good this show was. Best show of the year for me so far (although I haven't got to Breaking Bad or Boardwalk Empire on my DVR yet). This definitely kept me squirming on my couch. I look forward to season 2.
  41. Jan 13, 2012
    Combines with Breaking Bad as the 2 best drama series on television.
  42. Jan 18, 2012
    Nothing like any other TV show we have ever seen. Suspense, Thrill, simply great Entertainment. The Characters slowly unveiling their motives and of course the big question: Is he the suspected one???
  43. Mar 26, 2012
    A really great show, spectacularly acted by Danes and Lewis, with the supporting cast nailing it all around them as well, and the writing is terrific as well. Character development is crucially made poignant for the two leads as they are pulled by forces they cannot control, and all these wonderful qualities lead to an excellent conclusion. My only complaint is that the road the finaleA really great show, spectacularly acted by Danes and Lewis, with the supporting cast nailing it all around them as well, and the writing is terrific as well. Character development is crucially made poignant for the two leads as they are pulled by forces they cannot control, and all these wonderful qualities lead to an excellent conclusion. My only complaint is that the road the finale took could easily lead to a pattern of maintaining the status quo, which is an unfortunate turn taken by its network-mate Dexter in its sixth season, but my hope is the writers won't let that happen. Expand
  44. Dec 20, 2012
    FLAWLESS! It was easily one of the best series of 2011. It had a very strong direction, over the top performances, great writing and brilliant twists and turns.
  45. Jun 19, 2013
    This was a great show and great season, Homeland Season 1. This, Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire are easliy the best shows on TV. Wondeful and a must watch. Keep you on th edge of your seat.
  46. Oct 5, 2012
    The Pros: Suspenseful, after some lenghts in the Pilot also fast paced writing, stellar performance by Claire Danes and very good performances by the rest of the cast.
    The Cons: Theres not much depth here if youre interested in the real inner workings of the CIA. On the contrary, the "unorthodox" way Danes' character is working and her relationship with the other main character demands quite some suspension-of-disbelief willingness from the viewer. Thats why i will stop watching it, cause realism is the one thing that cannot be absent from a show like this.
  47. Nov 9, 2012
    This is good stuff. Homeland is grounded, but knows how to throw in a twist. We also have some very good acting going on here.
  48. Jul 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a rollercoaster ride. This show reminds me (in a good way) of 24. Carrie does some things that defy belief. Of course the reason she is so good and so bad relates to her mental illness. Expand
  49. Jul 11, 2013
    I don't really like it. It's unrealistic and predictable. I don't find it addicting. This does not deserve the awards it has won, Claire Danes portrayal of a bi-polar person is very unpredictable, I have a brother who is bi-polar and he acts nothing like that
  50. Nov 28, 2012
    My dad got me into this show and its so good brody gets the babes and there are so many twists this season not gonna spoil it but ya watch this show its awesome
  51. Jul 26, 2013
    Holy terrible show, seriously, it's BAD, the story tries to be complex, but it's stupid. This show takes itself way too seriously, I'd rather watch 24, at least that show had a stupid plot, but it didn't take itself too seriously...
    I don't get this show, I really don't.....
  52. Jan 17, 2013
    I was apprehensive about Homeland before watching it as there are a lot of similar shows that try to tackle the 'Homeland Security' plot and fail miserably. However, after forcing myself to watch it didn't take long before I was hooked - Homeland does a very good job at building the suspense from a very early point and hasn't eased up since. The characters personal story lines are a bitI was apprehensive about Homeland before watching it as there are a lot of similar shows that try to tackle the 'Homeland Security' plot and fail miserably. However, after forcing myself to watch it didn't take long before I was hooked - Homeland does a very good job at building the suspense from a very early point and hasn't eased up since. The characters personal story lines are a bit disappointing to me, but the general originality and 'pressure cooker' atmosphere of the main plot more than make up. Expand
  53. Feb 6, 2013
    Love the fictional story line, however, I'd classify this as porn with the graphic bedroom scenes. Also, I guess the writer's are linguistically challenged in that the best descriptive word they seem to be able to come up with is the "F" word. Although I enjoyed the plot, I won't be purchasing season 2.
  54. Feb 15, 2013
    Horrible. Watched 8 episodes. This show is beyond boring. There's nothing that gets me coming back to it ever. The only good thing about it is all the hot women.
  55. Jul 20, 2013
    The show is slow and predictable. It relies too much on Claire Danes character unrealistic crazy moments. I have a relative with Bi-Polar disorder (which Claire Danes character has) and it is unbelievably over exaggerated. I was also in the military and the military part of the show is also VERY unrealistic. If you like quality television don't watch this.
  56. Sep 23, 2013
    First of all, I will admit that this show is great in many ways. In fact, it is great in most ways and for most of the first season I was obsessed with it. However, I absolutely refuse to support a show that essentially tricks me into thinking that it is, for the most part, non partisan. Soon enough I found that not only does the show lean to the left, it practically could not be anymoreFirst of all, I will admit that this show is great in many ways. In fact, it is great in most ways and for most of the first season I was obsessed with it. However, I absolutely refuse to support a show that essentially tricks me into thinking that it is, for the most part, non partisan. Soon enough I found that not only does the show lean to the left, it practically could not be anymore offensive than it currently is. The entire shows message is that radical Islamic terrorists are not truly villains and that the reason America is attacked is because of the "war-mongers" in political power. I am sure that this sort of thing does happen in reality, but the way "Homeland" portrays the whole scenario is inexplicably offensive. It is a vile tactic that makes the viewer want to sympathize with some of the worst scum on this planet. It truly is shameful that this show is even on television. I honestly wonder if the creators of this show actually are empathetic to the 9/11 bombers. One day, when your plane goes into a building or a bomb goes off on your bus, you aren't going to be pitying the poor suicide bomber. I could rant more about "Homeland" and its flaws but I think the message alone should be enough to deter most decent viewers. Expand
  57. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If it wasn't for the main character/protagonist, this show would be wonderful. Unfortunately, because half of the episode always focuses on her, I can't recommend this show in good conscience. The lead character ("Carrie Mathison") has actions that are so poorly thought out that she wouldn't last 5 seconds in an actual CIA environment, and I know this without even working in government.

You know it's a bad sign when you root for the main character to get machine-gunned.
  58. Nov 9, 2013
    The overacting is enough to have you rip your hair out. The fact that a CIA agent sobs like a baby at every scene, laughable. The best scene ever was Carrie screaming, "It's not him, its not the sandman, WE DON'T HAVE THE SANDMAN!" *bursts into tears* In saying this, I am still watching it as its the best laugh I have had in ages. The sad thing is, I use to think ol' Claire was aThe overacting is enough to have you rip your hair out. The fact that a CIA agent sobs like a baby at every scene, laughable. The best scene ever was Carrie screaming, "It's not him, its not the sandman, WE DON'T HAVE THE SANDMAN!" *bursts into tears* In saying this, I am still watching it as its the best laugh I have had in ages. The sad thing is, I use to think ol' Claire was a great actress, now.... not so much. Expand
  59. Dec 11, 2013
    Really lame show. The material in the show is so far off from the truth and shameful on how they depict certain situation instead of showing something close to being real. The shows story line is boring. I recommend watching a better show. There are so many amazing shows out there.
  60. Dec 19, 2011
    Arguably the most thrilling and ambitious series this year. Homeland comes packed with one surprise after the other, and with a tension that is constantly increasing as the season reaches the end. I'm uncertain where the writers will take the show going forward, but they have proven themselves as risk-takers and although some of the subplots were predictable, the overall story was far fromArguably the most thrilling and ambitious series this year. Homeland comes packed with one surprise after the other, and with a tension that is constantly increasing as the season reaches the end. I'm uncertain where the writers will take the show going forward, but they have proven themselves as risk-takers and although some of the subplots were predictable, the overall story was far from it. The series succeeds in acknowledging that there's always two sides to a story, and it never forgets to elaborate on the characters motivations. On the outside it is about the aftermath of the war in the middle east, but what it truly explores is the war of the main characters own struggles and goals, and how they interact with one another. Expand
  61. Jan 9, 2013
    Just finished the first season (Jan 2013) and can finally comment. It's a classy, engrossing, silly show. The fact that it's well scripted (even if the plot is ludicrous) and that the actors are great helps overcome the fact that this is a rehash of Condon's "Manchurian Candidate," a novel that had a great conspiratorial brainwashing plot that worked in the 50/60's but one that wouldn'tJust finished the first season (Jan 2013) and can finally comment. It's a classy, engrossing, silly show. The fact that it's well scripted (even if the plot is ludicrous) and that the actors are great helps overcome the fact that this is a rehash of Condon's "Manchurian Candidate," a novel that had a great conspiratorial brainwashing plot that worked in the 50/60's but one that wouldn't stand up today. Yet here we go again! I liked the twist of making Carrie lose her marbles just as she's uncovering the truth, and undergoing ECT at the end so that she has to (?) start from scratch next season (I know it's over and you guys know what I don't know), yet we all knew Brody was not going to be a suicide bomber so it was just a question of guessing why not, and we all know he can't phone Nazir without the NSA knowing and telling the FBI, and Brody is just to put together to have been a POW for so long, turned, taken on Arabic culture and show so little culture shock! Danes is great, and I love Brody's wife from "V." Yummy. Expand
  62. Mar 9, 2012
    Far more fascinating than I would have expected, the writing and acting here is really incredible and the show does a great job of building atmosphere in the small moments while also painting a fairly complicated big picture: we're constantly left in doubt as to whether Carrie's hunch about Damien is correct, even as an audience we (or at least I) tend to become less sure as the show goesFar more fascinating than I would have expected, the writing and acting here is really incredible and the show does a great job of building atmosphere in the small moments while also painting a fairly complicated big picture: we're constantly left in doubt as to whether Carrie's hunch about Damien is correct, even as an audience we (or at least I) tend to become less sure as the show goes on. And then further doubt is cast that we're correct in going in the "not terrorist" direction. Watching the penultimate episode now, I'm not unsure, and that's quite a feat for a show to pull off for so many episodes. He seems like a very decent guy, yet I could also imagine him blowing up Congress: how messed up is that? Expand
  63. Dec 26, 2011
    amazing, simply amazing. i must say, i was put off from watching this for a while, mainly because i didnt want to watch some "america is the greatest country on the planet who can police the world" and "all Muslims and terrorist and should all be sent to gitmo" tv show. but after hearing so many people praise it i finally gave in, and im glad i did. i dont want to get into too much detail,amazing, simply amazing. i must say, i was put off from watching this for a while, mainly because i didnt want to watch some "america is the greatest country on the planet who can police the world" and "all Muslims and terrorist and should all be sent to gitmo" tv show. but after hearing so many people praise it i finally gave in, and im glad i did. i dont want to get into too much detail, but the show is incredibly entertaining sure there are some parts that you just need to accept and it can be a little slow but other parts of the show will make your heart really pump. great acting, writing and directing. highly recommend it. Expand
  64. Apr 3, 2013
    I couldn't get into this show. Way too many cliches in the subplots. It would have made a great miniseries though. Once I saw the wife was sleeping with the best friend, the troubled daughter and the drug addicted agent I bailed after four episodes.
  65. Dec 13, 2012
    At first I was pretty skeptical to watch this series, I thought it was still a series that dealt with terrorism again, the American house superhero who will save the world against the evil Arabs, but I was surprised by the quality of the acting in particular Claire Daines & Damian Lewis and especially the originality of the script
  66. Dec 31, 2011
    Great show, That's all I can say about it, to me it is the best new show of the year, even though it faced strong competition, with the likes of Boss and The killing, among others. Claire Danes stands out as a very convincing schizophrenic ****
  67. Nov 24, 2011
    Best new show on television this year. Great spy thriller. Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin are both excellent. Kind of weird mixture of 24 and Nurse Jackie.
  68. Sep 17, 2012
    What started out as a very, very good thriller has morphed into a brilliant character study between the show's two leads. The most refreshing aspect is that it's not afraid to criticize where criticism is due with depth and complexity, and of course Claire Danes is just phenomenal. Certainly one of the best series on television today.
  69. Apr 2, 2012
    Had I reviewed Homeland after an Episode or two, I might have rated Hoemland with a 10 out of the gate. I really thought it muddled along quite a bit at the midpoint and would likely have dropped to a 6, but having seen all but the finale to Season 1, I'll settle @ 8. In many ways Homeland is "24" with a brain, but at times it gets as loopy and unrealistic as "24" and as much as IHad I reviewed Homeland after an Episode or two, I might have rated Hoemland with a 10 out of the gate. I really thought it muddled along quite a bit at the midpoint and would likely have dropped to a 6, but having seen all but the finale to Season 1, I'll settle @ 8. In many ways Homeland is "24" with a brain, but at times it gets as loopy and unrealistic as "24" and as much as I ordinariliy enjoy Clare Danes, her character (or perhaps just her acting) was far too whiney and melodramatic. Good show, but I think the critics have been a tad too generous with their critiques. Expand
  70. Jan 21, 2012
    Awful and disappointing finale. Great idea became just another soap, with no balls to make things right in the end. Actors are great, despite over-hysterical agent.)
  71. Feb 12, 2012
    A dazzling debut for what was unquestionably the breakthrough show of 2011. Clare Danes is superb in a leading role as Carrie Mathison, a CIA operative who suspects that a returning american prisoner of war, portrayed by Damian Lewis, has been turned and is part of a plan to unleash a terrorist attack on America. Lewis is great but Danes is the star of the show. Mandy Patinkin is alsoA dazzling debut for what was unquestionably the breakthrough show of 2011. Clare Danes is superb in a leading role as Carrie Mathison, a CIA operative who suspects that a returning american prisoner of war, portrayed by Damian Lewis, has been turned and is part of a plan to unleash a terrorist attack on America. Lewis is great but Danes is the star of the show. Mandy Patinkin is also fantastic as Saul Berenson. The story was an interesting one to say the least and I wondered how this series would play out because the issue of National Security is one which has ranged from complex to perplexed! 24 challenged it head on and soared to almighty heights so it comes as no surprise that head-honcho Howard Gordon was part of the set-up of Homeland. The writing is tremendous and you can't under-estimate how much detail has gone into every little inch of the show. Each episode is a stand-alone however they all play crucial parts in unraveling the overall theme of the show. The acting is of the highest quality but Clare Danes steals the show entirely, she just oozed class! The pilot episode is exhilarating and will easily have you hooked, eagerly anticipating the next episode. Most episodes are excellent and executed perfectly particularly the Pilot, The Weekend, Crossfire and Marine One. These all lead to a spectacular season finale which brings this dynamite drama to a memorable close leaving things perfectly poised for the much anticipated second season. Expand
  72. May 26, 2012
    An excellent show which exemplifies suspense and thriller from real life problems and situations in our real world...................
  73. Dec 4, 2012
    A tense, dramatic and impressively acted first season of a wonderful series. The plot moves slow and yet you don't really care because Homeland manages to keep things interesting. There are some chapters, when Carrie and Brody "meet" that are a little bit weird (I find hard to see a relaxed, talkative Carrie something normal or natural), but the ending of the season is so good that youA tense, dramatic and impressively acted first season of a wonderful series. The plot moves slow and yet you don't really care because Homeland manages to keep things interesting. There are some chapters, when Carrie and Brody "meet" that are a little bit weird (I find hard to see a relaxed, talkative Carrie something normal or natural), but the ending of the season is so good that you forget about it. In both 1x11 and 1x12 Claire Danes gives a performance out of this world and Brody becomes more and more human. 1x12 is simply unbelievable. The best thing I've seen in a very long time. Expand
  74. Nov 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First couple of episodes, was not sold on it but I am a big Damian Lewis fan and the leading lady definitely intrigued me. I can safely say after six episodes into the series it is absolutely brilliant. Must watch for anyone who enjoys that sort of "24" conspiracy vibe, but also enjoys a slower pace, not all blown action, but instead very strong character development. Expand
  75. Jan 20, 2012
    Homeland has everything, great acting, writing, directing and interesting story telling. It's the first show I've seen in awhile that can hold a candle to the best shows currently on television: Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Justified. Claire Danes and Damian Lewis are brilliant, Homeland is brilliant.
  76. Jan 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, if one is looking for a show similar to 24 but with more dialogue, then this is the show. It is surely entertaining. But then again this stupid american-patriotism and completely unrealistic plots just makes this show suck. Common the guy is "brainwashed" for 8 years and convinced to do a "terrorist" attack, but chooses not to do it because of some stupid phone call by his daughter. o rly? Expand
  77. Feb 21, 2012
    The premise of the show may not appeal to everyone on paper, but it's hard not to get hooked after watching the first episode (regardless of your taste preference), which is exactly what happened to me. This is probably the best TV series I've watched since the first season of "Damages". The writing is absolutely brilliant, the plot moves at a fast pace and the cast is terrific (ClaireThe premise of the show may not appeal to everyone on paper, but it's hard not to get hooked after watching the first episode (regardless of your taste preference), which is exactly what happened to me. This is probably the best TV series I've watched since the first season of "Damages". The writing is absolutely brilliant, the plot moves at a fast pace and the cast is terrific (Claire Danes was the biggest surprise!). Most of the characters are flawed in some way. However, the writers tell the story from so many different perspective, that it's almost impossible to describe anyone as "good" or "bad". The actors really did an amazing job of depicting these very complex characters. I'm wondering how they'll ever be able to top the first season! Expand
  78. Dec 23, 2011
    Best new show of 2011. Season one of Homeland is the equivalent of an intensely engaging 12 hour movie (12 episodes), if that were even possible. The plot is superb, without becoming overly confusing or over the top. It stays true to its basis in reality and works in the most elegant way imaginable. You may think you have the characters figured out, and then out of nowhere, BAM, didn't seeBest new show of 2011. Season one of Homeland is the equivalent of an intensely engaging 12 hour movie (12 episodes), if that were even possible. The plot is superb, without becoming overly confusing or over the top. It stays true to its basis in reality and works in the most elegant way imaginable. You may think you have the characters figured out, and then out of nowhere, BAM, didn't see that coming at all. It basically makes you feel dumb for falling for the predictable outcome, but in the most rewarding way possible (if that makes any sense at all). Almost every detail, be it major or minor, in every episode is crucial to the advancement of the plot, and as a viewer you get rewarded for paying attention throughout the season (especially in the final 2 episodes). Speaking of, I was convinced that the creators of Homeland had backed themselves into a corner in terms of coming up with a way to transition into a Season 2, but god damn.... I couldn't have been any more pleased in how the last 2 episodes played out. S1's ending promises another fantastic season with S2. Homeland surprises me in the same way that the excellent Breaking Bad does with its unpredictability. Overall, amazing show. If you invest your time and attention into Homeland S1, as a viewer you will be rewarded in the final episodes and feel that you couldn't have spent 12 hours of your life any better with any other current TV show. Expand
  79. Sep 18, 2012
    Good show. Worth a watch. Good show. Worth a watch. Good show. Worth a watch. Good show. Worth a watch. Good show. Worth a watch. Good show. Worth a watch.
  80. Oct 15, 2011
    When I read the first descriptions of this series, my first thoughts were "Oh my god, no." and "How stupid could a plot become?". I was wrong, as far as I can say at this time. What I have seen so far is well written, well acted, well cast, mostly thrilling and sufficiently credible. The only problem is that my gut feeling suggests that from here on it can only go one of two ways withWhen I read the first descriptions of this series, my first thoughts were "Oh my god, no." and "How stupid could a plot become?". I was wrong, as far as I can say at this time. What I have seen so far is well written, well acted, well cast, mostly thrilling and sufficiently credible. The only problem is that my gut feeling suggests that from here on it can only go one of two ways with nothing in between: Excellence or disaster. The creators either manage to pull it off all the way and make it stick without big holes in it, or it will fall apart horribly and implode upon itself.
    Considering where the base for the series was taken from, this is no surprise, since it is an expectable result of any such storyline transplantation without regard for the cultural environment of the original source.
  81. Dec 14, 2011
    The worst part of Homeland was its pre-debut marketing. I had no interest or intention in watching this show based on the posters and bus ads I saw around town. But then I saw an actual preview and was suddenly pretty interested. Besides, Damian Lewis is fun to watch as well as the always professional Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin. In regards to the more negative reviews of theThe worst part of Homeland was its pre-debut marketing. I had no interest or intention in watching this show based on the posters and bus ads I saw around town. But then I saw an actual preview and was suddenly pretty interested. Besides, Damian Lewis is fun to watch as well as the always professional Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin. In regards to the more negative reviews of the series... come on, if you're going to nitpick over stuff like how realistic the military protocol is or whether or not a blonde CIA agent would actually be placed in Afghanistan then maybe television isn't for you. These things aren't going to ruin the show for you unless you literally are uncapable of a little suspension of disbelief. The story is no worse than the best seasons of 24 and as far as TV goes, Homeland is definitely better than most of what's out there in the National Security genre. Expand
  82. Dec 18, 2011
    Having just watched the entire first season, I must say that I am impressed. The show danced past the inevitable revelation of Brody's truth into truly surprising territory. The writing was consistently good, and Carrie had a rather tumultuous arc. Contrary to the insipid negative user reviews here, her flaw is not that she has a drug problem. This show has characters that exist, thatHaving just watched the entire first season, I must say that I am impressed. The show danced past the inevitable revelation of Brody's truth into truly surprising territory. The writing was consistently good, and Carrie had a rather tumultuous arc. Contrary to the insipid negative user reviews here, her flaw is not that she has a drug problem. This show has characters that exist, that feel, that make bold decisions. Do not trust the negative reviews, as these people probably didn't give the show a fair shake -- look at the reviews' submission dates. The acting is classy, so good in fact that I have no idea how the characters will enter season 2. I'm usually good at pegging that sort of stuff, but Homeland is so good that I really have no idea. If you haven't seen it, watch it now. Expand
  83. Oct 20, 2011
    Great acting, great directing, great suspense, great show without any patriotic **** very promising! Before watching the show I felt sorry for Claire Danes featuring in a TV show, but this might actually jump-start a comeback of her movie career.
  84. Dec 12, 2011
    I must agree with the fact that this show starts slow, and personally I started to watch it only because of Claire Danes, because I am a fan, and she is both beautiful and great actress. And as I say, the show starts slow until they found out that Brody is not a terrorist. After that, things starts to be very good, and I will definitely keep watching it until its very end.
  85. Oct 19, 2011
    Cast and plot are functional and highly likeable. Claire Danes continues to succeed every week to create a character that seems to be coherent and peculiar at the same time. Series has proven early to be both suspenseful and satisfying making it one of the best psychological dramas this fall.
  86. Nov 1, 2011
    A gripping drama that plays with the notions of reality and perceived reality in the setting of both post-9/11 counter-terrorism intelligence and mental illness.

What starts out as merely a skillfully constructed "is-he-or-isn't-he" plot-line, has - within the space of just a handful of episodes - evolved into a taut, psychological thriller with ever-growing levels of complexity. The characters in the show don't know the truth - or do they? You - the viewer - doesn't know either - or do you? Red herrings abound... or do they?

The show delves deep into themes of dedication and paranoia, with each often being simultaneously the catalyst for the advancement of the story. One of the great successes of 'Homeland' is that when action occurs the viewer is left wondering - beyond the obvious - what the results will be. This will disenfranchise those ADD-type viewers who lack patience.

Clearly, some reviewers here have missed one of the subtleties of the show... that covert 'intelligence' - like a good TV show - takes time to develop.
  87. Nov 6, 2011
    I was hooked after the first show. Really liked Damian Lewis in Band of Brothers and Life. He does a great job in Homeland as does Claire Danes. Great show, highly recommend!
  88. Nov 6, 2011
    Homeland plays at the pace of a well thought out plot, terrorism by numbers, reveiled to the viewer on a need to know basis. I too am a huge fan of Breaking Bad, but I believe Homeland is right on par with it's masterclass in storytelling.
  89. Nov 7, 2011
    Through thorough character development and truly piquing twists, Homeland has established itself as a very good--not excellent, but certainly fascinating--psychological thriller worth giving a shot. But if you don't enjoy the pilot, I'd suggest throwing in the towel: it's a terrific pilot which ably lays the foundation for the show, so if you don't like it, I'd suggest moving on to Hell onThrough thorough character development and truly piquing twists, Homeland has established itself as a very good--not excellent, but certainly fascinating--psychological thriller worth giving a shot. But if you don't enjoy the pilot, I'd suggest throwing in the towel: it's a terrific pilot which ably lays the foundation for the show, so if you don't like it, I'd suggest moving on to Hell on Wheels. While the whole cast shines, Claire Danes puts on an exhibition as to how one plays a functional and highly analytical eccentric. . Danes's character, however, is somewhat over-shadowed by her co-star, "Brody," the P.O.W. whom she suspects has joined al-Qaeada. For what it's worth, This Poli. Sci. grad student is particularly impressed with Homeland's ability to remain fascinating--I wouldn't miss an episode--without excessively pushing the envelope beyond the limits of credulity (cf: 24). Moreover, and in spite of formulaic overarching counterterrorism plot and short- to medium-term story arc, definite factors which could have been detrimental to its sustainability in general. However, in my opinion, the show's most genius aspect rests on the terrifically rich topic area and the wide latitude afforded to its terrific writers given the public's interest but absence of knowledge of the subject's clandestine ins and outs. Moreover, its short- to medium-term storyline may be about whether a P.O.W. has "fipped" and joined the 'dark side', the focus has been on Abu Nazir, the show's bin Laden, whose actions bolster Homeland's chance at remaining a top notch show. Despite myriad reasons as to why the show could have foundered, it's remained engrossing and the actors have continued to improve as the season progresses. Highly recommended, even if it's not comparable to a show like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or obviously the Wire. But no need to set the bar needlessly high: this is one of the best dramas on TV today. Expand
  90. Nov 8, 2011
    'Homeland' lacks pace sometimes. Well mostly, to be frank. But it makes up for that with the atmosphere and suspense.
    The acting is on the right side, the plot thickens with every episode and you sit before the TV just hoping for a break or solid evidence for Carrie. You can feel that this is coming to something big. What exactly is Brody's role in this is yet to be unfolded.
    Solid piece
    Solid piece of entertainment.
  91. Nov 8, 2011
    I watched out of convenience and kept watching because of substance. It plays a careful balancing act on suspense and misdirection. The character development is very good and you actually care for the characters despite some of their actions and/or perceived future actions.
    This is the first Homeland Security type show that I have enjoyed and seemed to have substance. That being said it does unravel much like a Tom Clancy book but that isn't entirely bad.
    I have never been a Claire Danes fan but I like her a lot in this role and I would not be surprised to see an Emmy nomination thrown her way.
  92. Nov 9, 2011
    This show is really good in terms of acting,plot and direction.Sergeant Brody(POW) is rescued by the CIA and receives a hero's welcome.But,Brody's homecoming raises the stakes for many people,his wife who has moved on with the sergeant's best friend,the Military 's PR sees a chance to use Brody's image,An ambitious CIA deputy director,A bipolar CIA agent who sees him as a National securityThis show is really good in terms of acting,plot and direction.Sergeant Brody(POW) is rescued by the CIA and receives a hero's welcome.But,Brody's homecoming raises the stakes for many people,his wife who has moved on with the sergeant's best friend,the Military 's PR sees a chance to use Brody's image,An ambitious CIA deputy director,A bipolar CIA agent who sees him as a National security threat.
    Is there a reason why Brody wasn't killed as a POW??..What is Brody planning for his homeland??..constitutes the rest of the plot.Homeland is an emotionally rewarding TV experience which is hard to come by.
  93. Dec 31, 2012
    The First Season of Homeland provided us a good dose of drama and political thriller. With and excellent performance of Claire Danes, who plays a CIA agent with bipolar problems, Homeland is the most interesting show of 2011. Although it may seem for moments very slow, it never lost its direction.
  94. Nov 25, 2011
    The theme was not that promising, i'm really surprised how amazing homeland is. 50 minutes? Looks 15! YES, that attractive. Love Claire Danes and her character.
  95. May 14, 2012
    I once heard somebody describe this program as "a televised serial of 'The Manchurian Candidate in present time". Provided they were referring to the first-rate 1962 film; not the awful 2004 remake, I would be inclined to agree with their assessment. To put it simply 'Homeland' is a thrill ride of a show and the places it takes you (the viewer) knows no bounds. It isn't perfect and I foundI once heard somebody describe this program as "a televised serial of 'The Manchurian Candidate in present time". Provided they were referring to the first-rate 1962 film; not the awful 2004 remake, I would be inclined to agree with their assessment. To put it simply 'Homeland' is a thrill ride of a show and the places it takes you (the viewer) knows no bounds. It isn't perfect and I found multiple plot holes throughout the first season but for the most part it delivers on its tag line and provides the thrills and spills of a decent espionage series. Expand
  96. Dec 3, 2011
    I started watching this show because they promoted the first episode for free through youtube. It was an interesting pilot episode, but didn't seem to have much hope as a series. I've been extremely impressed with the way the writers were able to take a seemingly dead end storyline and keep it alive without loose ends hanging everywhere. After about 5 or 6 episodes Homeland reallyI started watching this show because they promoted the first episode for free through youtube. It was an interesting pilot episode, but didn't seem to have much hope as a series. I've been extremely impressed with the way the writers were able to take a seemingly dead end storyline and keep it alive without loose ends hanging everywhere. After about 5 or 6 episodes Homeland really blossoms into the best show of its kind since 24. Expand
  97. Dec 20, 2011
    Interesting concept for a series that shows the other side of the war against terrorism. However, I feel this season's plot moved fairly quickly to the point that unless there is a huge twist, I can't see how much further this series can go before it starts to get redundant. Great acting though, and this season did have some very intense and dramatic scenes, which for a show like this IInteresting concept for a series that shows the other side of the war against terrorism. However, I feel this season's plot moved fairly quickly to the point that unless there is a huge twist, I can't see how much further this series can go before it starts to get redundant. Great acting though, and this season did have some very intense and dramatic scenes, which for a show like this I think is necessary to keep it entertaining and enticing to watch. I will definitely tune into next season and see where this show goes. Expand
  98. Nov 26, 2011
    Objectively speaking, Homeland is a good show - well acted and entertaining. But I cannot stand Claire Danes' character's ethical choices. Her self destructive behavior is painful to watch, so much so that I can't watch anymore. Granted some will see this as visceral portrayal of an extremely flawed character, a unique aspect of the show, and part of the reason Homeland isObjectively speaking, Homeland is a good show - well acted and entertaining. But I cannot stand Claire Danes' character's ethical choices. Her self destructive behavior is painful to watch, so much so that I can't watch anymore. Granted some will see this as visceral portrayal of an extremely flawed character, a unique aspect of the show, and part of the reason Homeland is compelling...but it's simply too much for me. In a way it's analogous to Steve Carell's character (Michael Scott) on The Office - very funny but also so painful to watch that it turns your stomach at the same time. Hopefully that makes sense... Expand
  99. Nov 28, 2011
    This is a wonderful new show. The writers do an excellent job creating complex, flawed and conflicted characters that you cannot help but to relate and fall in love with. The acting is excellent and I am sure will receive nods for best actor, actress and supporting actors with Mandy Patinkin a lock for best supporting actor. However, the story line is a little too fanciful and at timesThis is a wonderful new show. The writers do an excellent job creating complex, flawed and conflicted characters that you cannot help but to relate and fall in love with. The acting is excellent and I am sure will receive nods for best actor, actress and supporting actors with Mandy Patinkin a lock for best supporting actor. However, the story line is a little too fanciful and at times the writers have allowed their message, desire to create twists and agenda to outweigh a cohesive story line. For instance Brody returns home and struggles with the adjustment to normalcy after the prisoner of war lifestyle. However, we find out later Brody was befriended and turned over a 3 year period where no torture occurred. His regression before returning home is a large gap in reality. The show is riddled with these gaps which forces the watcher to disengaged from critical thinking and embrace the creative side of the brain. That being said we all watch this show to escape reality anyways so why not make it a little more fun! Expand
  100. Jan 23, 2012
    (This is based off the first two episodes)
    The show has an interesting plot. However the episodes take too long to really get interesting and when it does its usually at the end of the episode thus leading you hyped up for the next episode. The acting is great (as expected). I enjoyed the show and I cant wait to see what happens next.

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Oct 3, 2011
    What seems like a straightforward question--Is Nick a traitor to his country?--might be the most devilishly complicated thing to answer, and definitely worth pursuing in this complex show.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Oct 3, 2011
    Homeland is an absolutely riveting immersion in the paranoia and burnout of America after a decade of the war on terrorism.
  3. Reviewed by: Jonathan Storm
    Oct 3, 2011
    It's no lie to say you don't get this sort of stylish and challenging stuff very frequently on TV, adult subject matter treated maturely in a series that makes you squirm and think.