• Network: Netflix
  • Season #: 1 , 2
9.0

1. BKM
    Mar 15, 2013
    The term "game changer" is tossed around a bit too liberally these days, but this original series from Netflix is genuinely deserving of that label. Top notch talent is involved with this project which has made Netflix a legitimate player in the scripted series realm. At the same time the ability to make all thirteen episodes available at once is a stroke of genius that cable and the networks are going to have to respond to. And as for the product itself? House of Cards is a darkly humorous and wickedly entertaining look into the high stakes game of U.S. politics. It will be interesting to see if it gets any Emmy recognition especially for Kevin Spacey who hasn't been this good since American Beauty. Expand
  2. Mar 20, 2013
    Kevin Spacey is fantastic as a Georgia congressman that seeks revenge after being replaced for a Secretary of State job. He is so conniving and quite convincing as a real congressman. If you ever imagined how things are negotiated and manipulated in Congress to get what people what, this show definitely shows it. His wife, played by Robin Wright, is great as well. She too can manipulate with the best of them to get what she wants. If it were just them, it would be great, but it also includes a lot of other characters that are complex and relate-able. Great first season, looking forward to more. Expand
  3. Feb 3, 2013
    I was hesitant to watch an American remake of a British classic that defined cynical political satire, but this is a very well done series. I can't think of another American actor who can pull off dry sarcasm as well as Spacey, and I'm glad we didn't get an Aussie or a Brit doing "Yank." The dialogue is wonderfully witty and the plot, so far (episode 3) holds up with intelligence. Spacey takes center stage but Robin Wright manages a difficult role of being evil without hinting it in anything but her actions, and the other Mara girl is a knockout "wannabe famous" reporter who thinks she can handle Francis Underwood but is playing with fire. Expand
  4. Mar 8, 2013
    Absolutely love this show! This is the only political drama to ever suck me into the story. It's like a well orchestrated movie broken into several parts. The dialogue and acting are superb! Spacey is the the politician you love to hate. Can't wait for season 2!
  5. Feb 12, 2014
    The road to political triumph is paved with betrayal and selfish ambitions, which makes House of Cards dark and delicious. Kevin Spacey is absolutely excellent as a deviant senator who gets cast aside during what was meant to be the pinnacle of his career. If this type of show appeals to you, then you're in for a treat.
  6. Feb 8, 2013
    Entertaining, compelling, and addictive. Beautifully written, beautifully shot, beautifully acted. What more can you want? A real departure in tone from the British version and a good choice it is.
  7. Mar 5, 2014
    House of Cards deserves the attention it is getting simply for taking an unsentimental and somewhat realistic approach to politics in Sodom on the Potomac. If anything it is even worse in reality, with politicians generally being told what to do and say by unelected special interests and permanent, private bureaucracies like CIA, NSA and others, to such an extent they ought to have stickers on them like walking nascars announcing who bought them.
    Despite this it can be a difficult show to watch because virtually none of the characters have any redeeming features at all, or if they do these are completely drowned out by other immoral behavior. Every character is either a power mad psychopath, a careerist or a spineless suckup, so that all you can possibly feel for any of them is contempt. Most of them are also either promiscuous, perverts or both. Since this is the case psychopaths, careerists and suckups will immediately understand and sympathize with the character motivations, while everybody else will likely feel profoundly alienated and disgusted by the entire thing and perhaps not even understand what is happening. Personally I felt particularly repulsed not by Spacey`s character, the obvious villain in the show, but by his reptile wife. Every scene with her is the audio-visual equivalent of nails scraping across a board to me, and Robin Wright plays it perfectly.
    If you can survive this barrage of disgusting people though the show has many positive features, and above all its wild cynicism, which crescendos at the start of season 2 when basically everybody with a non criminal motivation is killed off, scandalized or sent to prison. It is a delightful slap in the face of any lingering optimism the audience may have managed to hang on to in season 1 and firmly determines evil psycopathy as omnipotent and unopposed in DC.
    The acting is excellent across the board, and as good as Spacey is the rest of the cast makes his job easy. The scenography, scripting and writing in general is good too. Having said that the writing can seem a little one dimensional at times, mainly because Spacey`s character is portrayed as being the architect of all the malicious backstabbing all by himself, where in reality he would be much more likely to be a representative of a clique of oligarchs and not as independent. Still evil and power mad but a puppet. This is particularly problematic when he conspires against the president, who in reality would have been appointed by the same oligarchs who appointed Spacey`s character, and therefore not be likely to be ousted by a vice president, no matter how malevolent he may be.
    It goes without saying that this series will not appeal to psychopaths, control freaks and other passengers on the DC gravy train, who have their unsavory conditions exposed in public like this, or for that matter their handlers on Wall Street, in CIA, NSA, AIPAC or any other illegitimate private power centers in America. It will also probably provoke anyone who have a naive view on politics due to the type of state propaganda traditionally prevalent in Hollywood, where the president is always heroic and flies fighter planes to save humanity. But anybody who has even a passing interest in US and imperial politics will know that House of Cards is one of the more accurate portrayals of real power politics available on TV. It should be worth watching for this reason alone.
  8. Feb 27, 2013
    I haven't seen a show this good in a while. House of cards is beautifully written and the cast does a stellar job acting. The show gets down to the gritty and realistic side of politics. Kevin Spacey's character has a lust for power and will do anything to get to the top often betraying his friends and bending the truth to come out ahead. This is one of those series that truly leaves you on the edge of your seat and wanting more. I am still waiting for them to green light a second season. This is one of the reasons you should get Netflix. Expand
  9. Feb 26, 2013
    A definite contender for best series of the year. Everything is executed brilliantly and the casting is perfect. Netflix has a bona fide hit on their hands.
  10. Mar 15, 2013
    A well thought out and deliciously twisted storyline that will have you blow through episodes as fast as you did in Breaking Bad Season 1. Stunning performances by Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright.
  11. Feb 2, 2013
    THE WEST WING TIMES A 100 WITH DARK HUMOR AND EXCELLENT DIALOGUE. This is a must to watch, DO NOT hesitate to see this amazing show. Spacey you are excellent, the charisma that he has with his wife and uniquely cunning portrayal of blackmailing Washington style jipper jabber. Will define the new generation of television.
  12. May 7, 2013
    After reading the so-so reviews, I was honestly somewhat disappointed that the show did not fare better because, let's face it, Metacritic scores nowadays make huge impacts on whether one will watch a show or not. I'm glad I kept Mr. Fincher's show on, though. Sure, it might have been a little too dark and noire-ish for some viewers' tastes--and the supporting cast tended to be a bit two-dimensional--but daaaang, Kevin Spacey. The cutthroat persona, the razor-sharp dialogue, the quick wit and actions--these characteristics consummate as Francis Underwood would make the most conniving kings and queens on Game of Thrones blush. I honestly believe that his performance is up there with his performance in "American Beauty." What a great show and great team in Fincher and Spacey. Collapse
  13. Feb 6, 2013
    House of Cards accomplishes a lot with it's relatively small cast. Staying focused on five or six characters at a time it manages to deliver the scope of a nation. You can feel the heaving of the sentiments of millions pushing and hurtling the plot lines forward. There's a shade of hopelessness hanging about the set (Washington and the Fed) that will certainly ring true with the show's intended audience mainly youngish tech savvy interneters (consequently disillusioned). For everyone else there is cable television and football. Expand
  14. Oct 21, 2013
    An excellent first season to the series. House of Cards shows the backdoor dealings of Washington DC with a deft touch. Get too technical and it's boring, but if you don't explain enough the show loses its focus. The show finds the perfect balance between these two, and is incredibly enjoyable because of it.

The asides that the show does takes a bit of getting used to, but they are
    pretty good after that. Give the first few episodes a shot and see if you like them. Definitely worth your time. Expand
  15. Sep 20, 2013
    Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright The ULTIMATE power couple. That I'm terrified of, but continually root for. Love that they wrote Robin's character as a successful individual in her own right separate from her husbands. This couple is ambitious, but they truly love and respect each other. They're driven and I'm excited to see how their drive translates into the second season.
  16. Feb 4, 2013
    Kevin Spacey and David Fincher on the television level, it's an absolute treat to watch them doing some marvelous work which can be easily compared to the HUGE series like Breaking Bad, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire. The series has brilliant writing supported by their proper execution and witty and charming screenplay, fabulous cast members all of whom give thrilling performances, the direction is outstanding, the entire premise of the show is a reason to watch the show. Kevin Spacey plays a political personality who is so manipulative that all cards play in his favor eventually. The best thing about it that we don't have to wait for an entire week to watch the new episode, the complete season is readily available. I have this feeling that House of Cards is going to get so much recognition in the upcoming period. Expand
  17. Aug 3, 2013
    Just watched the first episode and love this show enough to say that it's definitely one of the best TV shows on now. The acting is great, the writing is interesting, and the plot is most certainly interesting thus far. Riveting.
  18. Feb 6, 2013
    I think that if Netflix continues to deliver shows like these that I will be a lifelong fan of the network. What a fun, thought-provoking, addicting show. It reminds me of Scandal and Revenge but with a really dark undertone. Kevin Spacey is brilliant and Robin Wright just mesmerizes- though I think it's because I'm always afraid she's in danger. Anyway, check it out, it's worth it.
  19. Feb 5, 2013
    This show is really engaging, once I watched a few episodes it became impossible to stop. It was fun to see Kevin Spacey AKA Machiaveli blackmail, extort and sabotage his way through congress even with a bad southern accent.
  20. Mar 20, 2013
    I notice many comparisons to The West Wing. While they are two different entities, its not stupid to compare them. To me, this is an Alternate West Wing. It has the same fantasy as The West Wing. House of Cards has an extreme dark side. As shown right off the bat in the first 2 minutes of the Pilot. House Majority Whip Francis (Frank) Underwood played by the fantastic Kevin Spacey, is not afraid to get his hands dirty. Issues Frank Underwood encounter in Season 1, whether it be an Education Bill, Jobs Bill, or dealing with a Representative who has a drug and alcohol problem, Frank always his true goal in sight. And that goal is to be on top of the mountain in the world of Politics. The show, a Netflix Original Series, has so many strengths, that it pretty much cancels out the cons. And there are not many cons. Very little. For me the cons are very nit-picky as the quality and story telling of the show is very well done, by not only the actors and actresses, but by head-writer Beau Willimon who has an amazing sense of Political storytelling and who's research is most pivotal to the show's storytelling success. The show has been so successful as Netflix's first ever Original Series, a recent survey says that more than 10% of Netflix subscribers have streamed House of Cards, whether it be just the first episode, or through the entire 1st season. While Netflix won't give out the Viewership numbers, Netflix has confirmed that House of Cards is the DVD rental/Instant Streaming Mogul's most watched item for their Instant Streaming. 13 episodes clearly isn't enough. Netflix has ordered a second season, and well played, because fans are demanding it. So, while House of Cards may seem like a dark political drama on the surface, you must dig deeper to discover it is about power. The main theme of the show is power. How and what people will do to get what they ultimately achieve, whether it be famous journalist, or Secretary of State, Power is the ultimate motivator in this Political soaked drama. Expand
  21. Apr 2, 2014
    Francis Underwood has become one of my favorite characters, the series is spectacular and engaging.......
    . .
  22. Jul 26, 2013
    If you watch the first 10 minutes be for warned, you may have to watch all episodes. I watched the 1990 version set in England. It was good but this was great. Keven Spacy sinks his teeth into this part like only he can do. This is really good.
  23. Feb 2, 2013
    Terrific first episode to Netflix's first original series. Kevin Spacey's performance is incredible as expected and I'm sure the rest of the season will keep steam until the finale. The new season of Arrested Development will prove that television is just as important on streaming as it is during the weekdays on channels such as Fox and AMC. Hopefully Netflix will purchase the rights to Jericho and continue the story for that as well. Netflix has proved itself as a worthy competitor for the next Golden Globe Awards because this show is a winner. Expand
  24. Feb 5, 2013
    Fantastic series. Watched all of the episodes last weekend. Now I have to wait a year for Season 2. Not that carzy about the Kate Mara character. If you liked this series check out the BBC original.
  25. Feb 1, 2013
    Brilliantly written, brilliant acted, and David Fincher and his friends have created one of the most thrilling and addicting shows in a long time. I haven't seen a show so stylish and engaging since Breaking Bad premiered in 2008. You will instantly love this show.
  26. Feb 1, 2013
    The pilot was wonderful! The beginning was a bit eh, but it quickly rose from there. A wonderful show worth watching, it's a great thing that Netflix just released all of the episodes at once.
  27. Feb 1, 2013
    Absolutely amazing! Loved it, from the beginning to the end of the first 2 episodes I've watched. It has the David Fincher mood in it, Kevin Spacey's constant neutrality in every bit of the show in a really cold blooded character, and the fluidity in which the story unfolds. Seriously, great show, watch it if you can, or get 1 month free on Netflix just to watch this. Best premiere I've seen in a series for a LONG time, maybe the best since Breaking Bad. Expand
  28. Feb 1, 2013
    Terrific show; Incredible performances, sharp writing, and, of course, David effing Fincher at the helm. This show is destined to be a classic. Between this, and the return of Arrested Development, Netflix has outdone itself.
  29. Feb 1, 2013
    Exciting and creative show. Comparable to any HBO or Showtimes series. Acting, writing, camera work, directing..all are superb. Kevin Spacey always delivers and Robin Wright is excellent.
  30. Feb 1, 2013
    I loved it! Kevin Spacey does a great job. i liked the whole cast of actors. I wanted to immediately watch another episode! But seeing as it is after midnight.... Can't wait to see more. I think Netfix has got a hit.
  31. Feb 2, 2013
    I'd watch the whole series, but I need to sleep. I'm at chapter 5. Well done Netflix, cast, and crew. My subscription is starting to pay off. Not sure why it cost a $100M to make though.
  32. Feb 2, 2013
  33. Feb 2, 2013
    Aside from Breaking Bad, House of Cards is better than anything currently airing on TV. Acting, cinematography, music, and plot are as good or better than most big budget Hollywood movies. In fact, I think it's better to think of this as a movie divided into 13 parts instead of as a traditional TV show. House of Cards is the first step (leap) in making broadcast television irrelevant. I have no doubt that some critics have been told to keep that fact in mind. Expand
  34. Feb 2, 2013
    This is a winner! I found Lillyhammer disappointing and i doubted Netflix could turn out product to compete with HBO. But I was wrong. House of Cards production quality is top drawer, the acting is choice, the multiple plot lines intriguing, and the dialogue is smart, well crafted and original. This is NOT a rehash of tired memes the Oval Office, Watergate and the like. It has the quality that HBO USED to have in the days of Rome, Sopranos, Carnivale, Six Feet Under, and Deadwood. Move over HBO what you've been producing these days is mediocre and there's a new kid in town! Expand
  35. Feb 2, 2013
    Best political show with West Wing. Shows the underbelly of American politics with no apologies. Love the occasional aside from the main character to the viewer giving a little more in depth information about what is going on. I am hooked. Started the series today and could not stop watching it.Netflix produces better tv than any of the 4 networks could ever hope to. Love that the lead character is from my home state of SC but that part of the state does not like the dems very much lol. Expand
  36. Feb 3, 2013
    I must say that I had low expectations for this show, but boy cell was I wrong. The acting is phenomenal, the writing is excellent, and the entire show is very professionally made. HBO watch out, Netflix proved that it knows how to produce shows. My only warning about this show is that it is very difficult to only watch one episode in one sitting. Once you start watching it you won't want to stop. You've been warned. Expand
  37. Feb 3, 2013
    I enjoyed all 13 episodes; fun and well written. Robin Wright is excellent and she and Spacey together make for a formidable pair. This series, of course, is a remake of the House of Cards BBC series from the 1990s with Ian Richardson. If you enjoy political intrigue, machiavellianism, better than average writing, excellent acting, you'll love this updated 2013 version of House of Cards. Plus, to be able to watch this show on line was a plus for me. This is the future.... TV as we know it is changing. Expand
  38. Feb 3, 2013
    I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this show. Uncompromising, dark but not cartoonishly dark. The show is at its absolute best when its following the gritty mercenary style of Washington politics. I recommend it highly.
  39. Feb 3, 2013
    If you enjoy the quality of dramatic television that HBO offers, then you will certainly enjoy House of Cards. This is Fincher's masterpiece. It's also hard to see anyone standing in Kevin Spacey's way of at least getting nominated for major awards next award season. House of Cards catches you from the very first scene, and doesn't let the grip go until you have burned through all the episodes. Whether you watch them all in a 24 hour period as I did, or spread them out over more time, this is a safe bet for your entertainment enjoyment. Not since HBO's The Sopranos has such a show redefined the boundaries of what this form of entertainment can achieve. Expand
  40. Feb 4, 2013
    Leading up to the release of the first season of House of Cards I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely skeptical. Over the years Netflix hasn't done much to instill confidence in their leadership. However, I am glad to say that after viewing the first 8 episodes of this show my confidence in Netflix has been restored. "Wow", is all I have to say about House of Cards. What is now easily my new favorite show delivers on all fronts with a stellar cast and top notch production values. House of Cards misses the mark on very little and the flaws that do exist are easily overlooked in the grand scheme of things. It is clear Netflix spared no expense delivering what is sure to be one of the marquee dramas of the year. Masterful storytelling is enhanced though subtle techniques which help set this show apart from television presentation we have seen far too often. These little touches such as having text messages pop up on screen, and having Spacey directly speak to the audience add a unique touch that enhance the storytelling. House of Cards is the dark, cerebral tale of House Majority Whip Frank Underwood on his mission, through the corrupt underbelly of U.S. politics, to settle a personal vendetta against the presidential administration that revoked their promised appointment of him to be the next Secretary of State. Kevin Spacey hits it out of the park in this role. Underwood is simultaneously a despicable and likable anti-hero that you can't help but root for. Systematically picking off rivals, Frank proves himself to be the embodiment of every voters worst nightmare. Frank is accompanied on this journey by several equally ambitious, and equally flawed characters. Robin Wright portrays the role of Frank's cold and calculating, yet surprisingly human, wife Claire with admirable skill. Their relationship is that of a ruthless power couple who seem to genuinely love each other and who back each other up without question. I won't delve too deeply into the intricacies of their relationship for fear of spoiling the story, but their marriage is one that is both enviable yet troubled in that at times in that it almost resembles more of a business partnership than a marriage. Claire is perhaps the only character in the series that seems to be immune to Frank's constant manipulation and comes off to viewers as a strong willed, independent woman. On the other end of the spectrum is Pennsylvania Congressman Peter Russo, played by Corey Stoll. Russo is one big scandal waiting to happen. A troubled, weak man with an insatiable thirst for both narcotics and prostitutes. Russo seems to have the best intentions in both his work and personal relationships yet always seems to fall victim to the negative forces in his life. Finding himself in need of a pawn to be controlled completely, Frank uses Russo’s skeletons (of which he has many) to coerce him into various tasks, at times, against his will. Perhaps the most intriguing and dynamic of these relationships is the partnership Congressman Underwood shares with the seemingly innocent, and resourceful, up-and-coming journalist Zoe Barnes (Kate Mara). Barnes is Underwood's secret mouth piece, used not only to put spin on events, but also to influence the political landscape itself. While she appears at first glance to be quiet and submissive, Zoe is a refreshingly self aware young woman who doesn’t indulge in the idealism that plagues many others of her age. She has dreams of fame and success as an acclaimed journalist in Washington, and has no scruples about blurring the line of morality in achieving her goals. Zoe exudes a subtle sexually that she isn’t afraid to use to her advantage. Her relationship with Frank is not one-sided in its benefits however. Though Zoe is nothing more than a tool, used by Frank to achieve various ends, she reaches levels of notoriety and success through her involvement with him that under normal circumstances would be impossible. Frank feeds Zoe highly privileged information and in return she presents the stories in the way Frank desires. This quid pro quo relationship is in my opinion the center piece of the series and one I look forward to watching develop further. There are many other significant relationships throughout the series but for the sake of brevity I shall end my review by emphasizing the main point I want to get across to all of you reading this. House of Cards, with all its moving parts working in conjunction, paints a beautifully disastrous picture of the modern political system with all its backdoor dealings, overzealous lobbyist, and self-serving politicians. The success of this show lies not only in the narrative itself but how the narrative is presented to the audience. Anyone with even an ounce of interest in politics and/or drama series should do themselves a huge favor and give this show a shot. Director David Fincher and team have set quite a high bar for all future forays into exclusive streaming content. Expand
  41. Feb 4, 2013
    This is a very excellent poltical drama, it not only takes you into the underbelly of the Washington D.C. poltical system but also shows great care for underlying themes like loyalty, duality and others. The breaking of the 4th wall by Spacey makes the show even more interesting and his character's duality is amazing
  42. Feb 4, 2013
    Without being beholden to time constraints, studios or networks begging you to tune in each week, Netflix strikes the first blow to what has been the slow, writhing death of television as we know it with House of Cards. What was The Sopranos for HBO, House of Cards could very well be for Netflix. If all of the Networks weren't already scared, they should be frantic now. House of Cards expects a lot from the audience. It takes time establishing the story and revealing the character motivations, affording for a much richer and engrossing experience for the more discerning viewer while possibly alienating the casual passerby. Spacey and Wright deliver superb performances, both would be wrongly snubbed by if they do not receive Emmy nominations for their work. In his foray into television with this dark and gritty political drama, David Fincher has swung for the fences. After marathoning House of Cards in two days, I say the ball has flown out of the park. Expand
  43. Feb 5, 2013
    House of Cards is truly a novel for television and for those who have criticized the show for not doing this or that after having watched only a few episodes missed the point. Like a good novel that takes it reader on a journey putting it down too soon is a big mistake hell season 1 isn't even the end of the Novel only the mid way point. I am signed on for the journey and bring my comfortable shoes because I know we have a way too go and some interesting things to see. Expand
  44. Feb 5, 2013
    Absolutely phenomenal. Fincher, Spacey, Wright, they've created a masterpiece. As a film student I'm completely impressed with what's being done outside of mainstream cable. In the field of Boardwalk Empire.
  45. Feb 5, 2013
    You can tell how out of touch "professional" critics are by the vast delta in ratings this show has gotten between pros and user reviews. Why do we listen to critics? That was a rhetorical question. The answer is we should NOT listen to them. It's obvious that the public loves this series and that's ALL that matters. So another rhetorical question....why are critics employed? They are useless!!! OK, this show is awesome,it had me the first few minutes of the first episode (you know what I'm talking about) and kept my undivided attention through all 13. The best series released in a LONG time. Go watch it! Expand
  46. Feb 6, 2013
    Great cast led by kevin Spacey who's manipulative powers and ultra-confident attitude are second only to Marty Kaan. A bit slow at times but also full of twists and turns
  47. Feb 8, 2013
    Let's be honest. This show was built around the ability of it's actors. Spacey and Wright are absolutely stunning. The music, direction, and writing are superb. Honestly, I think that this falls in the category of 'you like it, unless you don't understand it.'
  48. Feb 8, 2013
    This is Kevin Spacey's show, and you'll know it from the first ten minutes of episode one to the end of episode thirteen. His role here is the ineffable anti-hero, and he plays it to a T ever cold and calculating, barely showing through in the odd human moment. As much as Spacey makes the show, he doesn't do it alone. Corey Stoll and Kate Mara play convincing enough characters, but Robin Wright steals the show fairly frequently as Spacey's conflicted wife. Fans of the original BBC miniseries and novel will find it has much in common with the source material particularly the first episode. It quickly branches out into a unique and altogether different story, though. Fans of The West Wing and other more mainstream political shows shouldn't go into this expecting something similar, though: there's an immense darkness here that dominates the plot in the best way possible. Expand
  49. Feb 11, 2013
    We all knew that Spacey would be great, but who knew that Robin Wright would blow everybody away. Not to be missed. All of the supporting players are superb.
  50. Feb 11, 2013
    Compared to the original, this version offers a far greater character development and back story than I would have expected. As with the original however I found myself quickly caught up in the story, at times stunned as the story unfolded. Make no mistake, I knew how it might end. Spacey is brilliant. The introduction of an 11th hour 'super player' was not only a bold stroke, it was an improvement on the original story line something I didn't think was possible. BRAVO!

For fans of the original the scream of Daddy! may have to wait for a second season
  51. Feb 14, 2013
    Smart, well-acted and fun to watch. Music and production design are top notch. Marketing genius: match any viewer preferences by making all 13 episodes available upon launch. Cannot wait until next season!
  52. Feb 18, 2013
    I have really enjoyed this series very much so. This show has successfully made a topic that many find boring and uninteresting setting, and make it incredibly fascinating and intriguing. I am very impressed. The cinematography is very well done, the script (especially the scenes with Frank's inner monologue) is incredibly well done, and the acting is superb.
  53. Feb 25, 2013
    My wife and I thought, "how good could a made for Netfliz show be?" Well-------------It is so good we didn't want to go to bed until we watched another episode, and then another, and another I hope this is the future of TV
  54. Mar 3, 2013
    This is not a show for idealists. There are no heroes, and at best the characters you meet are ambiguous or are victim to their lesser angels. But as a study in the pursuit of power the show excels. And though the plot starts slow and methodical, by the end the different story lines weave together powerfully. A few of the characters are underdeveloped (the President and Chief of Staff, both seem underwhelmingly small compared to the protagonists), but the cast overall is solid. Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood and Corey Stoll as Peter Russo are fantastic. The cinematography is dark and sophisticated and perfectly suited to the subject matter. There could be some stronger female characters: West Wing this show is not but where's C.J. Cregg? That aside, this show got so strong by the end and was a joy to watch. Can't wait till Season 2. Expand
  55. Mar 21, 2013
    Actor Kevin Spacey has proven time and time again that he is a master when playing evil manipulative characters in movies and television shows. Who better to play a modern day politician than him? House of Cards, the second all online series produced by Netflix, is a modern day political revenge show based on a BBC mini-series of the same name. The show is produced and directed by David Fincher (The Social Network, Se7en) and written by Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing). The series follows Democratic Congressman Francis “Frank” Underwood (Kevin Spacey) when he is betrayed by the president he helped elect. Like any self-respecting megalomaniac would do, he turns his considerable talents of manipulation against anyone even barely associated with the administration. Underwood is not a nice man and he reflects the worst attributes seen in political leaders over the last few decades.

House of Card’s Underwood is unique not only because of his clever abilities to manipulate the cast of characters he comes across, but also his ability to break the fourth wall and address the audience directly. Occasionally, Underwood will turn to the camera and addresses the audience in his thick yet very likable southern accent. He’ll explain what his opponents are thinking about, the inevitable outcome of the situation or state his plan of action before moving forward. Midway into a conversation with a political opponent he’ll raise an eyebrow at the camera and wink. It’s an effective tool to educate and charm the audience.

Spacey is supported by a very talented cast of equally flawed and somewhat deranged characters as well. Underwood’s better half, played brilliantly by actress Robin Wright, is his wife Claire. Ms. Underwood is beautiful and intelligent, but is just as cold and calculating as Frank. Unlike her husband however, she displays actual feelings of affection and remorse. Claire and Frank are devoted to each other in their own unique way, but Claire does display some bitterness towards her past decisions. Other characters include Zoe Barnes (Kate Mara), an ambitious young journalist receiving leaked information from Underwood; Doug Stamper (Michael Kelly), Underwood’s chief of staff who operates more like a gangster than a political assistant; and Peter Russo (Corey Stoll), a Congressman controlled by Underwood who suffers from severe alcoholism and drug abuse. You only need to watch one episode of House of Cards to know if you’ll like it. The show primarily focuses on Underwood’s schemes and the devolution of the characters he interacts with. Such dark material may not be appealing to all viewers. If anyone has an interest in watching the inner workings of Capitol Hill, or the inner workings of the mind of a sociopath, House Cards is the answer to both.
  56. Mar 25, 2013
    My husband and I are addicted. We just finished "Chapter 13" tonight. We devoured them. Please don't say it's over! Nooo... Kevin Spacey's breaking the fourth wall and his facial expressions are awesome. Don't become attached to anyone, anyone. Still, you will love hating almost all of them.
  57. Apr 6, 2013
    The stroies are intriguing and actors did excellent job including Kevin, Robin, and Corey. I can't wait for the second season to start. Netflix 's gamble is winning, and I stick to it.
  58. Apr 14, 2013
    Awesome start, loved it, finished it in less than 3 days. Kelvin was at his best. Always love politics, I loved the starting music and everything about it, waiting for the next one.
  59. May 7, 2013
    We’ve reached the new “Golden Age” of television drama, at least as proclaimed by some I’m rightfully assuming incalculably proficient and accomplished internet authors. As a incalculably proficient and accomplished internet author myself, I happen to ardently agree. You can’t argue that in recent years we have been witness to spikes in writing, acting, and overall production quality on many networks’ drama programming. Most impressive though, is the progression’s movement towards streaming. Companies such as Netflix and Hulu have begun to accumulate original programming that is apparently actually worth while.

A few months back (yes, yes, I know I’m months late it’s our staple to be late, get over it), Netflix launched it’s original program (actually a remake of a British miniseries), House of Cards, and after marathon-ing through the episodes, I can’t say enough good things about it. The series opens spectacularly; Kevin Spacey stares into the camera with cold eyes as he suffocates and injured dog, monologuing:

Read More: http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/house-of-cards/
  60. Oct 19, 2013
    Kevin Spacey at his best! He leads this show on through the incredible story and the heart of our nation's capital. This show is brilliant in every way and to see Spacey's character get darker and darker is a ride that you wont, no CANT miss.
  61. May 3, 2013
    Kevin Spacey is indeed fantastic as always. His wife, played by Robin Wright, is great as well; I just wish she would fill that deep hole in her neck or wear a necklace to cover it up as it tends to be distracting from her great performance. The rest of the cast is also terrific The cd's did a great job! I look forward to more episodes.
  62. May 14, 2013
    Excellent program. All the actors are superb and well cast. Can't wait for season 2! I enjoy Spacey's dialogues directly with the viewer which can help lay a foundation for his strategies---and they can be full of cheek. Robin Wright's "Claire" is a sophisticated character wife worthy of her marriage to the cold blooded Spacey. She humanizes him yet is every bit as opportunistic as he. Very interesting dynamic between these two and yet, one can believe theirs is not just a marriage of convenience for political climbing a-la Clinton's, but based on a messed up love and admiration of each other's committed role toward the other. Expand
  63. May 15, 2013
    I went into house of cards expecting a fairly mundane and diatribe on the horrible corrupt politicians and how terrible it is, and to an extent that's what I got but ultimately the acting was incredibly well done (Everyone is complaining about Zoe, but her monotone etc. was part of her character). The characters while not relate able were well done and believable. The filming, scripts, story etc. were all incredible, great show, glad I got to see it. Great job Netflix. Expand
  64. May 28, 2013
    Plot is thick and travels through episodes elegantly and with good pacing. Characters very interesting, and well developed from first episode and seem to morph into even richer, more nuanced expressions. The story line in each episode is given in unique fragments. For instance you'll see them drafting a bill bringing someone on, but you have no idea how this character or experience or subject matter blends with entire story line. Later on you'll see exactly how they fit in just right. The entire display keeps you thoroughly engaged. Expand
  65. Jun 4, 2013
    Absolutely love this show. Gripping from the outset, Spacey is particularly brilliant. I really enjoy the way you get to see into his mind and really understand how the characters ticks. He's the bad guy that you end up rooting for because it is presented so well! A must watch.
  66. Jul 14, 2013
    House of Cards has an absolutely phenomenal first season making the viewers crave for more. From the acting, to the story; everything is spot on. This show is worth watching for Kevin Spacey (playing politically corrupt Frank Underwood) alone. Not only does Mr. Spacey do an incredible job, but all the other actors are spot on as well. Most notably Robin Wright's portrayal of Frank's mostly loyal wife. The show requires you to suspend your belief at points, but it would not be as good of a drama if it were completely realistic. I would recommend everyone to watch this show. Expand
  67. Sep 1, 2013
    Absolutely amazing, Kevin Spacey at his finest and Robin Wright complementing him splendidly as well. Started the first episode for Spacey but ended up completing the entire First season in one go!!!!
  68. Jul 26, 2013
    Kevin Spacey at his finest, couldn't stop watching, ripped through a season in 2 days! Dark and mischievous, great acting from the supporters as well...highly recommended...
  69. Aug 3, 2013
    Ingeniously bold! Excellent performances from Kevin Spacey coupled with great intersecting plot lines. This show is even a hit among politicians in Washington
  70. Feb 11, 2014
    Congressman Francis Underwood (Kevin Spacey) is the smartest guy in Washington, but we meet him just as he suffers a devastating betrayal shifting his career into neutral, but this is only the beginning. We can tell by his acute composure and his stiff body language that even though he is extremely distraught, he is very far from defeated. He will never reveal his distress. That would be a sign of weakness. Underwood will even play his subservient role, for now, but eventually, his time will come, with the help of reporter Zoe Barnes (Kate Mara) Perfectly cast as here, Mara has a unique allure as an actress, and as with all her roles, she is unassumingly engulfing.

The congressman makes it loud and clear that he yearns for power. Using off-stage, to-audience-only recitations, he shares his real thoughts and objectives; it’s like getting inside the head of a sociopath, making an almost trite connection between pathology and politics, but Spacey is so convincing as an individual, he doesn’t speak for the masses, **** the masses, that the intended commentary on the sociopathic political mindset actually becomes more ingrained and powerful than trite. It works cleverly it all its glaring obviousness.

We observe characters alone, watch them move, interpret their body language. Especially Underwood’s lovely wife Claire (Robin Wright). A fog of loneliness wafts over the show even as characters embrace, make alliances, and settle debts. Everyone competes neck-in-neck for Washington’s top spots, of which there are few.

When Netflix, supposedly nothing more than your friendly neighbourhood video store, started making its own productions, the stakes were low. But Netflix has officially hit the ball outta the park. Way Out. Both of its debut series House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are blazing successes, and not just commercially, but as statements themselves: artistically, emotionally, and stylistically unique, they are really very good. Orange is the New Black especially has come up with some ultra-creative plots and characters that are a blast to watch.

How did a first time production company, that was observably not-at-all subtle in its blazing out of the gate with such pomp and circumstance over it new shows’ greatness, make such great debut shows? With very deep pockets, they hired the expert help. Not just movies stars like Kevin Spacey, but veteran film directors.

As the debut director for the series House of Card, David Fincher sets the tone of intrigue and shadows that shroud his dark thrillers. Post-HBO renaissance, Fincher achieves what any great director working in upscale TV does: he makes the episodes come across as mini-political thrillers, pieces of cinema unto themselves. The newsroom scenes are vaguely reminiscent of Zodiac. But as he directs the first episodes, it is his footsteps all others must follow.

With so many scenes, directors of this kind of TV work hard. Big shows need a surplus of directors. Breaking Bad had a different director for almost every episode. Most directors work in other capacities on other episodes as writers or producers. Compared to film, how much does the director of the cinematic TV show’s vision actually make it to the screen? The Sopranos had dozens of directors, but none really left a distinct imprint on the show. Do we remember their names? Not really. It was the show itself that had a style.

It seems like with shows like House of Cards, The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad that the momentum of the cast, combined with writers great scripts, makes the job of the director to step in and to channel this momentum, rather than drum it up from scratch as in film. But Fincher’s first two episodes of House of Cards are the force that starts the momentum. It is his footsteps that all others must follow in what continues over the season’s following eleven intriguing episodes.
  71. Aug 19, 2013
    House of Cards did not let me down, the show which delivered an incredible almost cinematic presence in my own home simply glowed. House of Cards follows US Representative Frank Underwood who after being refused a promotion he was promised moves forward to exact revenge on those who betrayed him.

As I said before the show itself presents itself in an almost cinematic persona. From its
    camera shots to its darker color scheme, the show has such a big onscreen presence that for all I knew I could have been in a cinema while watching this addictive thriller. The great thing about Netflix making an original drama is it gets rid of the weeks of waiting to find out what happens next, all I have to do is watch about 15 seconds of credits and it will jump straight to the next episode. It’s brilliant.

The show itself contains heart-stopping acting, I could actually see Kevin Spacey being Frank Underwood, there was no hint of who any of the actors where in real life, every single one of them put in such strong performances that I just had to see what they were going to do next. Not a single shody actor in the whole series.

The show is written and directed to perfection. With the first two episodes directed by David Fincher they are just obviously sublime. Despite David Fincher not directing any of the other episodes there is no decline in quality, he might as well of directed them all. The show continues on the high standards it started on while continuously upping its anti in entertainment value.

With great twists and turns House of Cards will keep you on your seat and wondering is 15 seconds to long of a wait for the next episode?
  72. Sep 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The writing is nothing short of brilliant. SPOILER ALERT: STOP READING NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SERIES.

Spacey's asides draw us into his confidence, but we are slowly inclined to betray him as the series progresses--just as other characters do.

It's an amazing affect I've never experienced, and it's utterly absorbing.

This is not interactive tv, but it feels like it. And we are drawn into the action as we learn every characters' weaknesses and desires.

Little things matter, too: The subtle change in Claire's character when the homeless man fashioned the twenty dollar donation into a swan and flicked it at her. Genius. Moments like that make great drama.

winston Q summers
  73. Mar 24, 2014
    If I had the option I would give this about a 95 out of 100, but I am a round-down sort of fellow. This show grabs you by the balls and just keeps surprising you the entire way through. The level of selfish manipulation is shocking, and that's part of the charm.. It's honestly the first show I have really enjoyed that is based entirely on greed. The acting is impeccable (Whenever Kevin Spacey gives the camera one of his glances I chuckle). Robin Wright is fantastic as his 'just as manipulative' counterpart.
    I watched the entire series (2 Seasons) in the course of 4 or 5 days. each episode is about fifty minutes long, and there are thirteen episodes in a season. I think that in itself says something.
  74. Feb 9, 2014
    Binge-watching season one which is rehabilitating depraved regions of my primordial reptile brain and making them feel smarter and socially acceptable
  75. Mar 9, 2014
    Revolutionary Television!

House of Cards is a television drama produced by Netflix, a subscription service that allows its customers to stream shows and movies over the internet. Although Netflix is popular, the company’s ability to produce a series that has received several awards, nine Emmy nominations, and four Golden Globe nominations after only two seasons is impressive to many.
    Among the impressed include well-known internet review sites such as Metacritic.com, IMDB.com, and RottenTomatoes.com.
    House of Cards is a binge-worthy political drama which Netflix first premiered in 2013 and then released a second season in February of 2014. This show has absolutely set a new bar for the drama genre of television. Kevin Spacey plays a downright evil politician, Frank Underwood, who is working his way toward presidency of the United States by any means necessary. The lengths he goes to in order to hide his secrets, eliminate competition, and throw wrenches in others’ plans are baffling. Don’t get too attached to characters in this series. Much like George R.R. Martin, writer of Game of Thrones, House of Cards writer Beau Willimon keeps his audience on the edge of their seats, wondering who may be eliminated next by Underwood’s ruthless desire for power.

Orange is the New Black was another series produced by Netflix in 2013 which similarly pushed the boundaries of television drama, however House of Cards is even more captivating. As Americans, we can relate to the show’s scandals and dirty politics because what we witness in our own media is a mild version of similar events. This series simply takes that aspect of United States politics and stretches it to the edge of believability. The relationships, although definitely unordinary, are oddly relatable as well. The show is written in a way that feels as if the powerful characters, like Frank and his wife Claire, speak what we already expect them to be thinking. It removes boundaries we would expect to have in conversations we would be part of, allowing the audience to live vicariously through the characters’ brutal honesty. There are even moments in each episode where Underwood speaks into the camera as if he were speaking directly to the viewer. Kevin Spacey’s portrayal is chilling and cannot leave any viewer unintrigued.

This series is worth watching, although viewers should be forewarned that all twenty-six episodes, each at least fifty minutes in duration, are available to stream at your convenience. Be prepared to have no control over your ability to stop watching. House of Cards is the most beautifully, creatively, tenaciously written series I have seen.
  76. Mar 29, 2014
    I wholeheartedly suggest that before starting the first episode, you get munchies set up along side you and strap yourself in with a seat-belt for the ride of your life. Kevin Spacey was born to be Francis Underwood. I have not seen in my 65 years any political drama that is so engrossing. The characters are real to life, with everyday problems. When you are watching the story unfold, think about the present day politics........ Expand
  77. Apr 6, 2014
    Politics, suspense, intrigue, murders, lies, intimacy and affairs. A great mix of topics and incredibly well written. The depth of the characters is amazing. A great political thriller. It is creeping up on my personal list to become the best show ever, it certainly already made the top 5. Only downside: Kevin Spacey talking to the viewers which is a tool I never liked in any series but can forgive it for such an outstanding series. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 22, 2013
    I found the first two episodes handsome but sleazy, like a C.E.O. in a hotel bar. Yet by Episode 5 I was hypnotized by the show’s ensemble of two-faced sociopaths. Episode 8 was a thoughtful side trip into sympathy for Spacey’s devilish main character, but by then I was exhausted, and only my compulsive streak kept me going until the finale--at which point I was critically destabilized and looking forward to Season 2.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 6, 2013
    Watch at whatever pace you'd like--immediately. Given its quality, I think you'll be drinking it all in sooner rather than later.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    Fincher's unemotional style comes through in the first two episodes, and the show could use more heat. But Spacey makes it worth watching.