• Network: Netflix
  • Season #: 1 , 2
9.0

1. BKM
    Mar 15, 2013
    The term "game changer" is tossed around a bit too liberally these days, but this original series from Netflix is genuinely deserving of that label. Top notch talent is involved with this project which has made Netflix a legitimate player in the scripted series realm. At the same time the ability to make all thirteen episodes available at once is a stroke of genius that cable and the networks are going to have to respond to. And as for the product itself? House of Cards is a darkly humorous and wickedly entertaining look into the high stakes game of U.S. politics. It will be interesting to see if it gets any Emmy recognition especially for Kevin Spacey who hasn't been this good since American Beauty. Expand
  2. Mar 20, 2013
    Kevin Spacey is fantastic as a Georgia congressman that seeks revenge after being replaced for a Secretary of State job. He is so conniving and quite convincing as a real congressman. If you ever imagined how things are negotiated and manipulated in Congress to get what people what, this show definitely shows it. His wife, played by Robin Wright, is great as well. She too can manipulate with the best of them to get what she wants. If it were just them, it would be great, but it also includes a lot of other characters that are complex and relate-able. Great first season, looking forward to more. Expand
  3. Feb 3, 2013
    I was hesitant to watch an American remake of a British classic that defined cynical political satire, but this is a very well done series. I can't think of another American actor who can pull off dry sarcasm as well as Spacey, and I'm glad we didn't get an Aussie or a Brit doing "Yank." The dialogue is wonderfully witty and the plot, so far (episode 3) holds up with intelligence. Spacey takes center stage but Robin Wright manages a difficult role of being evil without hinting it in anything but her actions, and the other Mara girl is a knockout "wannabe famous" reporter who thinks she can handle Francis Underwood but is playing with fire. Expand
  4. Mar 8, 2013
    Absolutely love this show! This is the only political drama to ever suck me into the story. It's like a well orchestrated movie broken into several parts. The dialogue and acting are superb! Spacey is the the politician you love to hate. Can't wait for season 2!
  5. Feb 12, 2014
    The road to political triumph is paved with betrayal and selfish ambitions, which makes House of Cards dark and delicious. Kevin Spacey is absolutely excellent as a deviant senator who gets cast aside during what was meant to be the pinnacle of his career. If this type of show appeals to you, then you're in for a treat.
  6. Feb 8, 2013
    Entertaining, compelling, and addictive. Beautifully written, beautifully shot, beautifully acted. What more can you want? A real departure in tone from the British version and a good choice it is.
  7. Apr 16, 2014
    House of Cards deserves the attention it is getting simply for taking an unsentimental and somewhat realistic approach to politics in Sodom on the Potomac. If anything it is even worse in reality, with politicians generally being told what to do and say by unelected special interests and permanent, private bureaucracies like CIA, NSA and others, to such an extent they ought to have stickers on them like walking nascars announcing who bought them.
    Despite this it can be a difficult show to watch because virtually none of the characters have any redeeming features at all, or if they do these are completely drowned out by other immoral behavior. Every character is either a power mad psychopath, a careerist or a spineless suckup, so that all you can possibly feel for any of them is contempt. Most of them are also either promiscuous, perverts or both. Since this is the case psychopaths, careerists and suckups will immediately understand and sympathize with the character motivations, while everybody else will likely feel profoundly alienated and disgusted by the entire thing and perhaps not even understand what is happening. Personally I felt particularly repulsed not by Spacey`s character, the obvious villain in the show, but by his reptile wife. Every scene with her is the audio-visual equivalent of nails scraping across a board to me, and Robin Wright plays it perfectly.
    If you can survive this barrage of disgusting people though the show has many positive features, and above all its wild cynicism, which crescendos at the start of season 2 when basically everybody with a non criminal motivation is killed off, scandalized or sent to prison. It is a delightful slap in the face of any lingering optimism the audience may have managed to hang on to in season 1 and firmly determines evil psycopathy as omnipotent and unopposed in DC.
    The acting is excellent across the board, and as good as Spacey is the rest of the cast makes his job easy. The scenography, scripting and writing in general is good too. Having said that the writing can seem a little one dimensional at times, mainly because Spacey`s character is portrayed as being the architect of all the malicious backstabbing all by himself, where in reality he would be much more likely to be a representative of a clique of oligarchs and not as independent. Still evil and power mad but a puppet. This is particularly problematic when he conspires against the president, who in reality would have been appointed by the same oligarchs who appointed Spacey`s character, and therefore not be likely to be ousted by a vice president, no matter how malevolent he may be.
    It goes without saying that this series will not appeal to psychopaths, control freaks and other passengers on the DC gravy train, who have their unsavory conditions exposed in public like this, or for that matter their handlers on Wall Street, in CIA, NSA, AIPAC or any other illegitimate private power centers in America. It will also probably provoke anyone who has a naive view on politics due to the type of state propaganda traditionally prevalent in Hollywood, where the president is always heroic and flies fighter planes to save humanity. But anybody who has even a passing interest in US and imperial politics will know that House of Cards is one of the more accurate portrayals of real power politics available on TV. It should be worth watching for this reason alone.
  8. Feb 27, 2013
    I haven't seen a show this good in a while. House of cards is beautifully written and the cast does a stellar job acting. The show gets down to the gritty and realistic side of politics. Kevin Spacey's character has a lust for power and will do anything to get to the top often betraying his friends and bending the truth to come out ahead. This is one of those series that truly leaves you on the edge of your seat and wanting more. I am still waiting for them to green light a second season. This is one of the reasons you should get Netflix. Expand
  9. Feb 26, 2013
    A definite contender for best series of the year. Everything is executed brilliantly and the casting is perfect. Netflix has a bona fide hit on their hands.
  10. Mar 15, 2013
    A well thought out and deliciously twisted storyline that will have you blow through episodes as fast as you did in Breaking Bad Season 1. Stunning performances by Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright.
  11. Feb 2, 2013
    THE WEST WING TIMES A 100 WITH DARK HUMOR AND EXCELLENT DIALOGUE. This is a must to watch, DO NOT hesitate to see this amazing show. Spacey you are excellent, the charisma that he has with his wife and uniquely cunning portrayal of blackmailing Washington style jipper jabber. Will define the new generation of television.
  12. May 7, 2013
    After reading the so-so reviews, I was honestly somewhat disappointed that the show did not fare better because, let's face it, Metacritic scores nowadays make huge impacts on whether one will watch a show or not. I'm glad I kept Mr. Fincher's show on, though. Sure, it might have been a little too dark and noire-ish for some viewers' tastes--and the supporting cast tended to be a bit two-dimensional--but daaaang, Kevin Spacey. The cutthroat persona, the razor-sharp dialogue, the quick wit and actions--these characteristics consummate as Francis Underwood would make the most conniving kings and queens on Game of Thrones blush. I honestly believe that his performance is up there with his performance in "American Beauty." What a great show and great team in Fincher and Spacey. Expand
  13. Feb 6, 2013
    House of Cards accomplishes a lot with it's relatively small cast. Staying focused on five or six characters at a time it manages to deliver the scope of a nation. You can feel the heaving of the sentiments of millions pushing and hurtling the plot lines forward. There's a shade of hopelessness hanging about the set (Washington and the Fed) that will certainly ring true with the show's intended audience mainly youngish tech savvy interneters (consequently disillusioned). For everyone else there is cable television and football. Expand
  14. Oct 21, 2013
    An excellent first season to the series. House of Cards shows the backdoor dealings of Washington DC with a deft touch. Get too technical and it's boring, but if you don't explain enough the show loses its focus. The show finds the perfect balance between these two, and is incredibly enjoyable because of it.

The asides that the show does takes a bit of getting used to, but they are
    pretty good after that. Give the first few episodes a shot and see if you like them. Definitely worth your time. Expand
  15. Sep 20, 2013
    Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright The ULTIMATE power couple. That I'm terrified of, but continually root for. Love that they wrote Robin's character as a successful individual in her own right separate from her husbands. This couple is ambitious, but they truly love and respect each other. They're driven and I'm excited to see how their drive translates into the second season.
  16. Feb 4, 2013
    Kevin Spacey and David Fincher on the television level, it's an absolute treat to watch them doing some marvelous work which can be easily compared to the HUGE series like Breaking Bad, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire. The series has brilliant writing supported by their proper execution and witty and charming screenplay, fabulous cast members all of whom give thrilling performances, the direction is outstanding, the entire premise of the show is a reason to watch the show. Kevin Spacey plays a political personality who is so manipulative that all cards play in his favor eventually. The best thing about it that we don't have to wait for an entire week to watch the new episode, the complete season is readily available. I have this feeling that House of Cards is going to get so much recognition in the upcoming period. Expand
  17. Aug 3, 2013
    Just watched the first episode and love this show enough to say that it's definitely one of the best TV shows on now. The acting is great, the writing is interesting, and the plot is most certainly interesting thus far. Riveting.
  18. Feb 6, 2013
    I think that if Netflix continues to deliver shows like these that I will be a lifelong fan of the network. What a fun, thought-provoking, addicting show. It reminds me of Scandal and Revenge but with a really dark undertone. Kevin Spacey is brilliant and Robin Wright just mesmerizes- though I think it's because I'm always afraid she's in danger. Anyway, check it out, it's worth it.
  19. Feb 5, 2013
    This show is really engaging, once I watched a few episodes it became impossible to stop. It was fun to see Kevin Spacey AKA Machiaveli blackmail, extort and sabotage his way through congress even with a bad southern accent.
  20. Mar 20, 2013
    I notice many comparisons to The West Wing. While they are two different entities, its not stupid to compare them. To me, this is an Alternate West Wing. It has the same fantasy as The West Wing. House of Cards has an extreme dark side. As shown right off the bat in the first 2 minutes of the Pilot. House Majority Whip Francis (Frank) Underwood played by the fantastic Kevin Spacey, is not afraid to get his hands dirty. Issues Frank Underwood encounter in Season 1, whether it be an Education Bill, Jobs Bill, or dealing with a Representative who has a drug and alcohol problem, Frank always his true goal in sight. And that goal is to be on top of the mountain in the world of Politics. The show, a Netflix Original Series, has so many strengths, that it pretty much cancels out the cons. And there are not many cons. Very little. For me the cons are very nit-picky as the quality and story telling of the show is very well done, by not only the actors and actresses, but by head-writer Beau Willimon who has an amazing sense of Political storytelling and who's research is most pivotal to the show's storytelling success. The show has been so successful as Netflix's first ever Original Series, a recent survey says that more than 10% of Netflix subscribers have streamed House of Cards, whether it be just the first episode, or through the entire 1st season. While Netflix won't give out the Viewership numbers, Netflix has confirmed that House of Cards is the DVD rental/Instant Streaming Mogul's most watched item for their Instant Streaming. 13 episodes clearly isn't enough. Netflix has ordered a second season, and well played, because fans are demanding it. So, while House of Cards may seem like a dark political drama on the surface, you must dig deeper to discover it is about power. The main theme of the show is power. How and what people will do to get what they ultimately achieve, whether it be famous journalist, or Secretary of State, Power is the ultimate motivator in this Political soaked drama. Expand
  21. Apr 2, 2014
    Francis Underwood has become one of my favorite characters, the series is spectacular and engaging.......
    . .
  22. Jul 26, 2013
    If you watch the first 10 minutes be for warned, you may have to watch all episodes. I watched the 1990 version set in England. It was good but this was great. Keven Spacy sinks his teeth into this part like only he can do. This is really good.
  23. Feb 2, 2013
    Terrific first episode to Netflix's first original series. Kevin Spacey's performance is incredible as expected and I'm sure the rest of the season will keep steam until the finale. The new season of Arrested Development will prove that television is just as important on streaming as it is during the weekdays on channels such as Fox and AMC. Hopefully Netflix will purchase the rights to Jericho and continue the story for that as well. Netflix has proved itself as a worthy competitor for the next Golden Globe Awards because this show is a winner. Collapse
  24. Feb 5, 2013
    Fantastic series. Watched all of the episodes last weekend. Now I have to wait a year for Season 2. Not that carzy about the Kate Mara character. If you liked this series check out the BBC original.
  25. Feb 1, 2013
    Brilliantly written, brilliant acted, and David Fincher and his friends have created one of the most thrilling and addicting shows in a long time. I haven't seen a show so stylish and engaging since Breaking Bad premiered in 2008. You will instantly love this show.
  26. Feb 1, 2013
    The pilot was wonderful! The beginning was a bit eh, but it quickly rose from there. A wonderful show worth watching, it's a great thing that Netflix just released all of the episodes at once.
  27. Feb 1, 2013
    Absolutely amazing! Loved it, from the beginning to the end of the first 2 episodes I've watched. It has the David Fincher mood in it, Kevin Spacey's constant neutrality in every bit of the show in a really cold blooded character, and the fluidity in which the story unfolds. Seriously, great show, watch it if you can, or get 1 month free on Netflix just to watch this. Best premiere I've seen in a series for a LONG time, maybe the best since Breaking Bad. Expand
  28. Feb 1, 2013
    Terrific show; Incredible performances, sharp writing, and, of course, David effing Fincher at the helm. This show is destined to be a classic. Between this, and the return of Arrested Development, Netflix has outdone itself.
  29. Feb 1, 2013
    Exciting and creative show. Comparable to any HBO or Showtimes series. Acting, writing, camera work, directing..all are superb. Kevin Spacey always delivers and Robin Wright is excellent.
  30. Feb 1, 2013
    I loved it! Kevin Spacey does a great job. i liked the whole cast of actors. I wanted to immediately watch another episode! But seeing as it is after midnight.... Can't wait to see more. I think Netfix has got a hit.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Feb 22, 2013
    I found the first two episodes handsome but sleazy, like a C.E.O. in a hotel bar. Yet by Episode 5 I was hypnotized by the show’s ensemble of two-faced sociopaths. Episode 8 was a thoughtful side trip into sympathy for Spacey’s devilish main character, but by then I was exhausted, and only my compulsive streak kept me going until the finale--at which point I was critically destabilized and looking forward to Season 2.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Feb 6, 2013
    Watch at whatever pace you'd like--immediately. Given its quality, I think you'll be drinking it all in sooner rather than later.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    Fincher's unemotional style comes through in the first two episodes, and the show could use more heat. But Spacey makes it worth watching.