How I Met Your Mother : Season 9

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2005
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
5.8

1. Jan 19, 2015
    To run nine seasons and remain relevant is nearly impossible with TV these days. How I Met Your Mother somehow continually kept its charm by never steering away from what made it special: the cast. Like Friends, HIMYM thrives on the characters in which we invested hours of our lives in (for those that stuck with it for all nine seasons). The ninth season is mostly great, focusing onTo run nine seasons and remain relevant is nearly impossible with TV these days. How I Met Your Mother somehow continually kept its charm by never steering away from what made it special: the cast. Like Friends, HIMYM thrives on the characters in which we invested hours of our lives in (for those that stuck with it for all nine seasons). The ninth season is mostly great, focusing on only a select few days instead of spanning a larger frame of time. Without any spoilers, I will say that the series' last episode really turns everything sideways a bit. It seems the writers wanted to make the previous eight seasons less of a buildup and more relevant to the events that close the story of Ted Mosby. I was a bit emotional over the closing minutes, knowing that this story is done and this goofy and somewhat cheesy cast of characters are over. But for every level of cheese and somewhat overdone joke, there's heart and enjoyment to counter. The final season of How I Met Your Mother may land as the best of the series. Not because it's 22 episodes are the best of the series, but because you know these are the last ones you'll be watching. I always loved the show and feel that this was the appropriate time wrap it up. Expand
  2. Mar 18, 2014
    I would like to say, that even thou the season started pretty poorly, it really picked up over the past few months. The writing improved and the acting improved!
    Thanks Carter Bay and Craig Thomas for an awesome show!
  3. Oct 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What can I say about a show I have been dedicate to and rewatched over and over for the last 9 years. How I met your Mother played very close to heart for me, as I am/was the same age as the characters on the show and going through similar issues. So I found this a highly relatable show.

So what did I think of it? I think the first 6 seasons hit off very well with lots of twists and cracks that worked pretty well. However as the show got older, the running gags started getting less and less funny and what worked before just was not doing it as well as before. Seasons 7 & 8 were a little broken and used ALLOT of recycled and stale material.

What I do give the show credit for is maturing the characters and letting them live with bad decisions and showing their long term consequences/rewards.

As for Season 9:
    WHAT THE F**K? First off the 24-esque format was cute but just did not it the flow of the previous seasons. A nice idea that could easily have been done another way.

It‘s funny how this WHOLE season was focused on Robin & Barney‘s wedding, yet for the finale they break up? I do see this as gutsy as this is an accurate reflection on real life. It does not matter how perfect people seem for each other, it still can fall apart and things rarely turn out the way we expect them to. What I do have a problem with is that Barney and Robin are still friends after that. After all that they can just move on, just like that? Don‘t really buy it, but it is a bit plausible.

I really did love how it took Barney having a daughter to truly turn him around. That I believe, but, WHERE THE F**K was that story and its build up? It would have made more sense to use that being the focal point of this season. *sigh* It feels like they seriously skipped over a great story arc there.

I really do wonder what the producers and writers were smoking when they thought it was a good idea to kill off „the Mom.“ Seriously?! WTF?!? After all that build up and then finally revealing her in the final season and they kill her off just so they could use some stock footage they shot 7 years earlier? It means they had more or less already decided right at the start that this was more or less how it was going to end (maybe not the death, but Ted winding up with Robin.) WTF? WTF? WTF? What a load of hoarses**t.

THANK GOODNESS for the alternate ending that is on the DVD box set. THAT, was how it should have ended! Why the f**k they did not use that ending in the first place is beyond me.

Overall:
    Aside from a bumpy end, I still love the show and I am grading it here on the show as a whole and not just Season 9. On it‘s own I would have scored season 9 as a 6. But the show as a whole gets an 8.

Side Note:
    If I had never seen the original ending and just the alternate ending, I would have score the show a 9. But I can‘t unsee what I saw. (Feels like the Mass Effect 3 ending all over again.)
  4. Sep 23, 2013
    Impressive. lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
  5. Oct 3, 2013
    I put 7 based on the 1st 3 episodes, even if I feel like the show is going down for the last 2 years (crazy police girl, Barney and Patruce...) I jus found the concept of doing it like Jason Bourne, the entire season in a weekend a plaisant idea, and also this show is my little dirty morning pleasure! Go for Barney!
  6. Sep 17, 2013
    Finally! We're meeting the mom, I've to say that I'm going to miss HIMYM, its my favorite show but everything must end! I'm Thrilled! follow as @ruffus3000
  7. Aug 15, 2013
    If I don't find out who the mother is in the next few episodes... I'm giving up on this show. What started out as a really interesting story has turned into a drag and a bore at times.
  8. Apr 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How I Met Your Mother, overall, was one of the best shows on television in the 21st century. The series finale, contrary to what most fans were saying, was a success. Those who didn't understand why the mother was "so quick to go", lets put it, didn't understand the point of the show. It was about the journey, not the ending. The mother was just a pawn in a much bigger, more intricate picture where Ted ends up with Robin. How can you not be happy for him? From the first episode, it was made very clear that his feelings for her were strong and everlasting. And honestly, it was inevitable that the mother had to die. There was really no other way to end the series with a bang. And HIMYM definitely went out with a bang. Expand
  9. Nov 14, 2013
    After a lacklustre eighth season, HIMYM rebounds magnificently with this ninth season. Cristin Milloti as The Mother is perfectly cast, and adding her to the cast is a shake-up that the show desperately needed. Although she has been in very few episodes so far, her few appearances have been done very well, and I like the idea that she meets every cast member before Ted. Like most people, IAfter a lacklustre eighth season, HIMYM rebounds magnificently with this ninth season. Cristin Milloti as The Mother is perfectly cast, and adding her to the cast is a shake-up that the show desperately needed. Although she has been in very few episodes so far, her few appearances have been done very well, and I like the idea that she meets every cast member before Ted. Like most people, I was wary of the entire ninth season taking place over Barney and Robin's wedding weekend. But, Bays and Carter are quite adept at non-linear storytelling and the multiple flash backs and forwards are also fantastic, because it provides two main settings that the show can utilize. All in all, the first few episodes of this season have been shaping up to be some of the best the series has given us in recent memory. Expand
  10. Dec 4, 2013
    Over the last season the show has taken a turn for lame puns and jokes. While the final season of this show has its notable setbacks with episodes and weak character bits making no sense to the wedding weekend or to their future cause, but the show has managed to bring an elevated sense of gratification to fans by characterising the Mother in flashbacks and flash forwards which definesOver the last season the show has taken a turn for lame puns and jokes. While the final season of this show has its notable setbacks with episodes and weak character bits making no sense to the wedding weekend or to their future cause, but the show has managed to bring an elevated sense of gratification to fans by characterising the Mother in flashbacks and flash forwards which defines also the characters around them. The pace of this season is at a steady one, after all they are strectching the entire season for a wedding weekend. Finally, the most clever thing the writers have nailed this season is by bringing back characters and story arcs (the damn pineapple mystery) we all love from previous seasons and intricately placing them in episodes which fit the story arc. They didn't just throw them in messily as a final hoorah (although it is, but done rightly) The season is continually growing into better storylines as the climax and the crux of the story is yet to get better with many arcs still unfinished as we dawn ever closer to Ted's inevitable meet with his wonderful future wife. (In which we definitely want to know her name!) Expand
  11. Jan 2, 2014
    This is the thing with How I Met Your Mother, it never fails to disappoint you. No matter how ridiculous the storyline is, viewers can't deny the fact that it's enjoyable and truly one of the best comedy shows on TV. The season premiere and the winter finale proof that creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas really know how to end this twisted Teddy Westside story.
  12. Jan 29, 2014
    Maybe wrong in the beginning (not great idea start the season talking about only the days before the wedding) but now seems to go better and i suppose will be an happy and right ending.
  13. Mar 17, 2014
    How I met your mother is coming to an end and its sad. But even when its down to its few last final episodes it never fails to make me laugh and teach me a lesson about life and etc. I wish it will never end,
  14. Jul 19, 2015
    [For entire series] Very clever both story-wise and comedically not to mention cinematically innovative, especially for a sitcom, but it's again the very likable characters that come to be friends that really makes it. What unravels it is the prolonged resolution to the initial question posed and just too much geek for its own good at the end of the day.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Sep 24, 2013
    There are a number of annoying little things, and a few big ones, sprinkled throughout these two [opening] episodes, but they get the biggest thing of all absolutely right: the Mother.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd VanDerWerff
    Sep 23, 2013
    The series’ cast remains one of the better sitcom ensembles of the past decade.