• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 10, 2007
7.4

1. tomk.
    Jul 4, 2007
    As a surfer living in Imperial Beach, where series is filmed, it captures much of the culture here. Bunch of burned out folks that still respect the ocean and all it gives. No, I have not seen John yet, but I am watching for him our at the pier.
  2. ArthurF.
    Jul 5, 2007
    Brilliant quirky touching
  3. JoanG
    Jul 5, 2007
    Very enjoyable. Quirky, mystical, thought-provoking, Good writing. I look forward to future episodes.
  4. TedJ
    Aug 10, 2007
    Lots of mysterious fun. The cast is hilarious! I was a huge Deadwood fan, and love JFC as well--I don't know what other Deadwood fans are complaining about--it's a *different* show; get it?
  5. MichaelM.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Great show
  6. JessicaJ.
    Aug 6, 2007
    It started off with such promise but never seems to get going. Too contrived after a while. Still, it's addicting.
  7. John
    Aug 9, 2007
    Insane, witty, and vulgar. I have never loved a show more when I have no clue of what's happening.
  8. GA.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Hbo is killing me with the canceling of my favotite shows. This show rocked. You never knew what was coming & I loved it for that reason. Who wants some cookie cutter script with all the answers given 2 you @ the end?
  9. mitchl
    Jun 11, 2007
    this show as awesome finally something to set the tivo to. smart tv
  10. JohnW
    Jun 10, 2007
    We got this instead of extending dead wood? Go f@#$ yourself.
  11. BobP
    Jun 11, 2007
    wacky, offbeat, right up my alley so far!
  12. MichelleC
    Jun 11, 2007
    very confusing - boring - and tuned out after 10 inutes.
  13. halb
    Jun 12, 2007
    An interesting premier. The show has definite potential. The character of John reminds me a bit of Peter Sellers' "Chancy" in the film "Being There". Or perhaps Woody Allen's "Zelig"...?
  14. BillR
    Jun 13, 2007
    Pretty uneven plot. So far, the show doen't seem to know what it wants to be. However, it has potential.
  15. JM
    Jun 13, 2007
    Left DEADWOOD for this? Shameful.
  16. QuispL
    I f@*#'n loved it!
  17. WillH
    Jun 13, 2007
    I thought it was really funny. I wasn't expecting that.
  18. LINDAH
    Jun 14, 2007
    Thie show was differant from anything I had ever seen before. Just how many times did they use the F word.? After watching the show I want to visit/or move to Imperial Beach.
  19. biffk
    Jun 14, 2007
    HBO's new "edgy" drama is a wipe out. Don't go near it without lots of pain medication nearby.
  20. SteveD
    Jun 14, 2007
    Obviously a show like this can't be judged properly on one ep. But it had a pleasantly distant, distracted atmosphere and characters I want to learn more about. Maybe it'll turn out to meander pointlessly in an endlessly pretentious manner but Milch being a genius an' all, I'd bet he'll bring along the ideas to back up the vague mysticism this episode hinted at.
  21. GaryM.
    Jun 15, 2007
    This is an unconventional TV show, which is most definitely a good thing. I'm bound to follow it till its end, whether it be the series finale in the far away future (hopefully) or the show's cancellation which happened much too soon. Let's hope people who will watch it will give it a chance.
  22. LouisS
    Jun 15, 2007
    Very interesting characters, but some actors are not yet fully grounded (pun intended). Similar to Milch's other work, a large cast character driven drama, but with a background that seems less interesting than the old west or the NYPD. Worth watching for a few weeks though, to see where it goes.
  23. ValA
    Jun 16, 2007
    this series is going to continue to build like a game 7 of a world series, goodbye sopranos , Hello John. A home run.
    Jun 16, 2007
    Loved the soundtrack to this show
  25. AdamG
    Jun 17, 2007
    I don't really know what to make of this, but there were funny bits that were worthwhile. It's quite off-putting in a lot of ways, but I really want to know more about John and so will be tuning in tonight for episode 2.
  26. jonathanle
    Jun 17, 2007
    Some deadwood dialogue awesomness in a modern surfer town setting with an interesting character reminescent of David Lynch's typical players. Hard show to pin down but great sof ar.
  27. Andre
    Jun 18, 2007
    The worst show on TV. I can't believe HBO got rid of Deadwood for this.... So Very Sad
  28. kittyO
    Jun 18, 2007
    I loved this series (so far). Yes, it is challenging; and no, I don't understand everything (yet). But I am totally fascinated by the David Lynch (but more modern) style of film. I can't wait for the next episode. I would like to have both Deadwood and John playing...but I really like this new addition.
  29. TonyE
    Jun 18, 2007
    This show is, at least based on the premiere, one of the most ridiculous, unwatchably pretentious TV shows ever produced. I give it a 2 only because it's good to see Ed O'Neill, the one member of the cast I didn't want to choke through the screen.
  30. JohnB
    Jun 20, 2007
    Outstanding. Fine acting and fascinating plot - never dull with Milch.
  31. danh
    Jun 24, 2007
    Those that dont get it, probably dont get a whole lot! My girlfriend and I are completely hooked
  32. JoannieS
    Jun 25, 2007
    Insult to a thinking person's intelligence. No redeeming qualities. Worst show I've watched in years.
  33. StephenR
    Jun 25, 2007
    No plot, characters that are imposible to sympathize with, let alone identify with or even relate to; self-important scenes with pretentious, awkward dialogue, total lack of believability and ultimatelys disconnected from mianstream America as the Bush administration. Someone's got too much money to take the time to shop at a supermarket.
  34. Sonya
    Jun 26, 2007
    The dialogue is brilliant as usual. The show pulls you in - you want to see what happens next. I'll keep watching
  35. jamess.
    Jun 28, 2007
    I find it interesting how negative so many respones have been to john from cincinnati.Often times such visceral reactions are just that....reactions.A chord is being struck that makes the viewer uncomfortable.Personally I feel the show is revelatory,brave and cutting edge story telling. I care about these people already.My feeling is that people are uncomfortable with the esoteric quasi I find it interesting how negative so many respones have been to john from cincinnati.Often times such visceral reactions are just that....reactions.A chord is being struck that makes the viewer uncomfortable.Personally I feel the show is revelatory,brave and cutting edge story telling. I care about these people already.My feeling is that people are uncomfortable with the esoteric quasi spiritual themes that are suggeste but not elucidated.There is a powerful river of hope surging under the floorboards of the dsfunctional yost household. Milch seems to be intimating a larger more compasionate world that is avalable somewhere in the detritus of syringes on the beach and burned out misfits from forgotten eras.All this told through an hilarious lens of contemporary shakespearean characters.This show moves me,it feels brave and right and true so far.Milch has set the bar very high in my eyes,high enough to risk looking foolish or sentimental,that effort alone is worth a serious look at this story. Expand
  36. JeffG.
    Jun 28, 2007
    This is a thinking man's show. Like any truly seminal work, it often takes time for the palette to adjust. Ignore the hyperbole of the under-educated; if you like to think, question your beliefs, and be challenged by your entertainment this is for you. If you like plot lines to be resolved every 30 minutes, or think the only good Sopranos episodes have killing in them, you may want to pass.
  37. CurtisW.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Early in the game but I'm along for the ride.
  38. TylerS
    Jun 9, 2007
    I had the [dis]pleasure of vieing the first three episodes in advance. Trust me, 20 minutes in, this one will have you racing towards you telephone to cancel your post-Soprano HBO subscription. I am literally appalled that they dropped the masterpiece that was Deadwood for this steaming piece of poo!
  39. AaronW.
    Jul 10, 2007
    Very strange but definitely intriguing. While the character development is great, I wish the plot would move forward a little more quickly so we can find out what the shows really is about.
  40. C.B.
    Jul 11, 2007
    I was really interested through the first 4 episodes... now I'm just pissed
  41. BobW
    Jul 10, 2007
    Just terrible. I keep watching because I simply cannot believe that the people at HBO could do something so pathetic, in fruitless anticipation of improvement.For this Deadwood was canceled? For this I would not cancel a beer commercial.
  42. stevek.
    Jul 1, 2007
    I really think the critics missed the mark on this one! This is some of the most unique television I have ever seen! I cant wait to see what's next... extremely smart dialog! It seems to me its a natural progression from deadwood and that maybe Milch's work is evolving... WELL DONE!
  43. johns.
    Jul 14, 2007
    I love it, im tired of people comparing the Sopranos to it, the Sopranos is over...let it go already.
  44. JamieK.
    Jul 15, 2007
    I can't believe I have watched 5 episodes of this crap. I see from the comments already posted is that people either love it or hate it. It had the potential of being very interesting, yet it has take so long for something to take shape, I have lost interest. I can't really feel anything for any of these characters who are so screwed up. I wonder if enough people will watch for I can't believe I have watched 5 episodes of this crap. I see from the comments already posted is that people either love it or hate it. It had the potential of being very interesting, yet it has take so long for something to take shape, I have lost interest. I can't really feel anything for any of these characters who are so screwed up. I wonder if enough people will watch for it to be picked up again. Now Flight of the Conchords....that is a show! Expand
  45. MikeL
    Jul 15, 2007
    It's addicting like a rubix cube. I don't have any idea what's going on, but I want to figure it out so I'll keep watching it. The acting is terrible and so is the plot. As soon as you think the series is about one thing, they come out of left field with a superpower or something. However, I can't stop watching it... not to entertain me, just because I have to It's addicting like a rubix cube. I don't have any idea what's going on, but I want to figure it out so I'll keep watching it. The acting is terrible and so is the plot. As soon as you think the series is about one thing, they come out of left field with a superpower or something. However, I can't stop watching it... not to entertain me, just because I have to figure out what's going on. Expand
  46. KevinF
    Jul 16, 2007
    Great show! Very Original!
  47. josh
    Jul 18, 2007
    it is the best, and most clever show i've seen on TV.. i'm hooked.
  48. DonaldA
    Jul 19, 2007
    The show is fantastic! It's complex and effective; I think the NYT reviewer missed the point -- shocking.
  49. VeraB
    Jul 21, 2007
    I just was lucky enough to catch it the 1st show and I've watched everyone of them 3 or 4 times each. They are GREAT! The show itself is interestibg, addicting and ful of on-going questions.
  50. BobE.
    Jul 2, 2007
    My wife and I love it! I wonder if there is a connection between John - Jesus and Cincinnati - Christ? I can understand why some folks are so vehemently against the show. Thank you, HBO!
  51. THeresaL.
    Jul 2, 2007
    It is a thought provoking and interesting piece of television.
  52. MichaelP
    Jul 22, 2007
    A different breed of TV. Fantastic show. You gotta let it roll over you slowly. Not like other shows. Give it a try and only watch episodes in order.
  53. AprilT
    Jul 23, 2007
    Fabulous show, well written and very well acted. Great dialouge and plot.
  54. jeff
    Jul 24, 2007
    this show was interesting from the first episode. After the first show i was trying to figure out what was supposed to be going on, after the second i gave up and just kept watching. Now i can't stop. Every episode makes me look forward to the next. If you want to start watching know maybe you can get caught up through " on demand". I admit that there was a slow episode or two but it this show was interesting from the first episode. After the first show i was trying to figure out what was supposed to be going on, after the second i gave up and just kept watching. Now i can't stop. Every episode makes me look forward to the next. If you want to start watching know maybe you can get caught up through " on demand". I admit that there was a slow episode or two but it lust leads to the next show which ends up being great. Expand
  55. jebh
    Jul 25, 2007
    I love this show!!!
  56. MeredithK
    Jul 27, 2007
    I think the critics needed to give this a few more episodes. Many a good series started off unpopular but grew in popularity with time. Remember "Cheers," for example. The cast is brilliant, and the implications delicious. J from C = J.C. And I'll be damned if surfers don't appear to walk on water. MK
  57. PaulG
    Jul 28, 2007
    Compulsive viewing.
  58. DanC.
    Jul 4, 2007
    David Mitch and Kem Nunn have put together a truly unique and captivating show containing the action and tension of characters putting
  59. KeithR
    Jul 7, 2007
    Awesome Show
  60. LedZ.
    Jul 7, 2007
    Great TV. Mist be willing to wait for story line payoff but nothing else like it on TV and I mean that in a good way.
  61. RalphM.
    Aug 11, 2007
    Characters who, with few exceptions, suffer from minimal to serious brain damage and limited vocabulary, a plot that meanders, and a core mystery that is banal. Sad for the actors. "Shaun will be gone"? Best thing that could happen to him.
  62. JimW.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Every character is a gem. I can hardly wait until Sunday night!!
  63. GlenO.
    Aug 12, 2007
    Well the first season is over and if anyone has a clue what this series is about please post it! I'm a super fan of sci-fi and obscure philosophy and theology and just about anything outside the box. I first thought that this could be something like Heinlein's 'Stranger in a Strange Land' or something on that kind of grand scale. By the end of season one I want to Well the first season is over and if anyone has a clue what this series is about please post it! I'm a super fan of sci-fi and obscure philosophy and theology and just about anything outside the box. I first thought that this could be something like Heinlein's 'Stranger in a Strange Land' or something on that kind of grand scale. By the end of season one I want to throw the remote through my TV screen because I don't even know which character I care about less! HBO is going to screw us with this series just like they did with Carnivale when it failed in the ratings. We never got to see the ending for Carnivale! Lucky Louie was another great comedy for adults who can handle adult themes. We got screwed again with that cancellation. Since I now know less than ever about John from Cincinatti, my guess is we won't have to worry about this ridiculous series for much longer. Thank God for Entourage! Don't get too attached to JFC. Most HBO fans are very tolerant, but even us Cable heads need a plot to follow. Looks like Sundays evenings will be a NetFlix evening at my house. Expand
  64. JM.
    Aug 12, 2007
    This is a show worth investing in !!! How thrilling it is to not feel patronized by Mr. Milch and the other writers. I am so looking forward to more episodes. It's quite a ride- one we have really enjoyed dropping into.
  65. LAURIEB
    Aug 13, 2007
    Ive watched since day 1 and still have no idea what its about, but cant stop watching.
  66. JAmieM.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Love this show so mucho!!!
  67. StephanieK.
    Aug 17, 2007
    I love this show. Am completely addicted. It's a little out there but the ensemble is incredible, talk about worth the time. I am a busy executive with 2 kids and a hubby, I travel a lot and am completely spellbound by this show.
  68. ReedH
    Aug 19, 2007
    One of the best TV shows ever! Understood what it was all about from the first episode, and grew to love it after the mesmerizing and poetic Episode 6. Every character grows from self-absorbed and clueless at the beginning to caring and self-aware at the end, all thanks to John ,who is somehow beyond human; and the show was fun too. Sorry to see it go.
  69. barbarat.
    Aug 21, 2007
    Love it! nothing like guessing and watching the next episode to find out you're wrong!! Good show.....great cast!
  70. AmyM
    Aug 26, 2007
    The critics don't know what they're talking about. John from Cincinnati was addictive, and wonderful. Please bring it back, HBO!
  71. SKB
    Aug 6, 2007
    This show is raw and "in your face." I like that. It's a refreshing change from the usual mindless fair that doesn't challenge in any way. I hope HBO picks it up for another season, at least. Not being able to get to fully understand and know these characters, would be a real shame.
  72. annak.
    Aug 9, 2007
    Painful to watch.
  73. MarkW.
    Sep 18, 2007
    A rare gem that deserved another season (or three). JfC reveals more with each viewing, so it is not shocking that many critics were dismissive after a single viewing of the first episode. The show was very smart and complex. View the whole series once it is out on dvd and you will be richly rewarded. Ed O'Neill stands out in a talented and spot-on cast.
  74. stevel
    Aug 3, 2009
    The creators of John from Cincinnati did some things that automatically got it in trouble with some viewers -- not the least of which is that it appears that it might be about the second coming of Christ. I would have rated it lower for not being clever enough to handle the difficulties in the story in a more acceptable way -- but the acting was so good, I just couldn't compromise. The creators of John from Cincinnati did some things that automatically got it in trouble with some viewers -- not the least of which is that it appears that it might be about the second coming of Christ. I would have rated it lower for not being clever enough to handle the difficulties in the story in a more acceptable way -- but the acting was so good, I just couldn't compromise. gays, christians, jews, conservatives, liberals, etc will all find problems ahead of time with John, which is too bad because it is wonderful story telling. Expand
  75. bwwest
    Jun 11, 2007
    terrible-boring-uneventful-if they think cusing makes the show good they are fucked up.
  76. LacyR
    Jun 11, 2007
    Pretentious dribble. A far reach to try to encompass the intellectual crowd. The only people who could enjoy this series are those as mentally challenged as the characters featured on it. Bottom line, "it sucked Dude"
  77. DeeA
    Jun 12, 2007
    I'm hooked after seeing the first show. Quirky and funny with some great acting. The show is filmed in Imperial Beach which is close to where I live in San Diego. IB which us locals call it has always been a strange beach town sitting right on the border of Mexico. There is a run down end of the line feel to the place that has been that way for the 40 something years that I have I'm hooked after seeing the first show. Quirky and funny with some great acting. The show is filmed in Imperial Beach which is close to where I live in San Diego. IB which us locals call it has always been a strange beach town sitting right on the border of Mexico. There is a run down end of the line feel to the place that has been that way for the 40 something years that I have lived in San Diego. It is the perfect backdrop to the messed up charaters in the show. Can't wait to see more! Expand
  78. languidg
    Jun 14, 2007
    Ok, Deadwood, 6 feet under, and Sopranos were amazing. Rome pretty good. Big Love horrific. If your with me here, than I can't imagine how this strange, vague, weirdness wrapped up in surfing wouldn't be stimulating. I think people should lay off being overly judgmental until more episodes are digested as well.
  79. CathyO
    Jun 14, 2007
    After the extremely disappointing ending to the Soprano's, I found this series intriguing, humerous, and fun to watch. I TVO'd it so I could watch it a second time (granted, it is a little offbeat) and I liked it even more. Of course, I loved Carnival, Deadwood, and Six Feet under. The actors consist of a fantastic cast and being a California girl, I adored the surfing shots. After the extremely disappointing ending to the Soprano's, I found this series intriguing, humerous, and fun to watch. I TVO'd it so I could watch it a second time (granted, it is a little offbeat) and I liked it even more. Of course, I loved Carnival, Deadwood, and Six Feet under. The actors consist of a fantastic cast and being a California girl, I adored the surfing shots. Lighten up critics! Expand
  80. JimM
    Jun 14, 2007
    I somehow, against my better instincts, managed to watch the first episode. The entire time I kept trying to figure out how they could take Deadwood off the air for this 'Twin Peaks' wanna-be.
  81. RinaF
    Jun 15, 2007
    Quirky, bent, surreal. John From Cincinnati, it's definitely a ride and a rush. You don't know what to expect but you're hooked. I love it!! Totally different, a stand alone.
  82. KamakuraKid
    Jun 15, 2007
    Excellent show, give it a chance. I am tired of the types of shows where everything is spelled out in the first 20 minutes, this show is not an insult to those of us who enjoy quality TV.
  83. ts
    Jun 15, 2007
    Dull. It might have lofty ambitions, but fails miserably in execution. Making it "weird" is no substitute for making it engaging. An frankly it wasn't that weird. I like weird. It was just tedious.
  84. Philo
    Jun 16, 2007
    So far so good. The show has considerable room to grow with a solid cast. To those who think it is confusing... relax and catch a ride. The show is a lot like surfing, it's never predictable, simple but takes some effort, and enjoyable just watching it.
  85. MarieL
    Jun 17, 2007
    I loved the show and look forward to more of the same. I loved watching the surfers. It reminds me of the great Northern Exposure show and all the quirky characters that made that show so special. This has the potential to do the same. The "big mistake" HBO made was not only putting it on the same night as the Soprano's finale, but right after that show. Hence, all the detractors are I loved the show and look forward to more of the same. I loved watching the surfers. It reminds me of the great Northern Exposure show and all the quirky characters that made that show so special. This has the potential to do the same. The "big mistake" HBO made was not only putting it on the same night as the Soprano's finale, but right after that show. Hence, all the detractors are trying to compare it to the Sopranos and are all huffy because they think it's supposed to be a replacement and the Soprano fans are pissed off and vetting their anger at the way Chase ended the show. They are taking it out on this potential great little show. This was a big HBO mistake. I only hope they give the show a chance to catch on. Remember, no one liked Six Feet Under either !!!!! Expand
  86. frankc
    Jun 18, 2007
    unusual and thought provoking....not the average mindless dribble
  87. Alexa
    Jun 18, 2007
    Possibly the worst project Milch has ever undertaken. This show makes no sense. However it is about as good as NyQuil for putting you to sleep.
  88. JW
    Jun 18, 2007
    Through two episodes "John from Cincinatti" has the intrigue of Heroes (though it does not have the desperate need for a great conclusion, something Heroes failed miserably in) combined with the sharp wit and dialogue of Deadwood. While I am not sure where Milch plans to go with the supernatural edge the story brings if he has something even remotely decent in mind the show will be Through two episodes "John from Cincinatti" has the intrigue of Heroes (though it does not have the desperate need for a great conclusion, something Heroes failed miserably in) combined with the sharp wit and dialogue of Deadwood. While I am not sure where Milch plans to go with the supernatural edge the story brings if he has something even remotely decent in mind the show will be brilliant. Ultimately, it is the interactions between the characters, in particular, the way that everyone reacts with the title character that makes this show so enjoyable. The wit is undeniable, and the two Deadwood actors that we have been exposed to thus far, have been nothing short of brilliant. I just hope that they get Timothy Olyphant involved at some point. How he was not cast as Linc (Luke Perry's character), I will never know. Expand
  89. JohnS
    Jun 19, 2007
    Great show! John reminds me of the lead actor in 'Eraserhead' - love it!
  90. kristinl
    Jun 24, 2007
    I love the mix of character personalities and that I feel like I know them to an extreme certain extent. I have no idea where where its going but I will definitely be along for the ride
  91. RichardK
    Jun 25, 2007
    This show is just plain bad. After barely being able to finish watching the 3rd show, I've concluded that I don't care about any of these people, especially John. After Deadwood, I thought David Milch would have come up with something really great. What a major dissapointment.
  92. RobL
    Jun 28, 2007
    This show has no charm or pizazz. There is no actor/actress on the show that I find interesting.
  93. JayJ.
    Jul 13, 2007
    booooooooring
  94. NanetteB.
    Jul 15, 2007
    This is my husbands favorite show. He isn't a TV watcher unless it has something to do with Football, but he never misses this show.
  95. KristaL.
    Jul 16, 2007
    My husband and I love this show. Ed ONeil is hysterical and mysterious. His character has been wonderfully developed into a complex person who is enormously involved with the story. Cissy is a trip, she is one crazy mom. The last 2 episodes have shown how much of an impact her mental instability has on the whole entire family. This last episode from 7/15 revealed a great deal of back My husband and I love this show. Ed ONeil is hysterical and mysterious. His character has been wonderfully developed into a complex person who is enormously involved with the story. Cissy is a trip, she is one crazy mom. The last 2 episodes have shown how much of an impact her mental instability has on the whole entire family. This last episode from 7/15 revealed a great deal of back story which was needed, but at the same time brought about many more questions. It showed us a couple of reasons why Cissy is such a "ball-buster" as quoted by Butchie. It dives into the disturbing details of Butchie and Cissy's relationship and digs a hole into the darkness of Butchie's heroine addiction. Needless to say, I hope that this show sticks around to answer the all the questions that come with watching it every Sunday. Expand
  96. Joyce
    Jul 18, 2007
    We LOVE this show! Can't get enough and would love to read blogs, what do others think. Stranger than strange, remember Twin Peaks? Who and what is John?
  97. RichT.
    Aug 15, 2007
    Great Show. Boston Globe knucklehead cannot comprehend the gritty, almost unbathed feel of the show. But what do you expect, he works for the Globe.
  98. stevem.
    Aug 16, 2007
    great cast screwy plot just what television needs
  99. seanh
    Aug 17, 2007
    Fantastic show, great cast. I will miss it. Like Deadwood, it was rich in potential and possible story lines.
  100. LorrieS
    Aug 18, 2007
    very different and I love it.

It's only June,? but I can confidently state that you won’t see a weirder show than "John From Cincinnati" all year long.
  2. Intriguing but not entirely satisfying.
    Mesmerizing and entertainingly confounding.