John from Cincinnati : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 10, 2007
7.4

1. EdT
    Jul 30, 2007
    TV does not get any better than this. Those giving a zero rating probably watch CSI 3 times a week!
  2. ArloP.
    Aug 13, 2007
    The best show on TV. It fills a very needed gap in the standard line up. I have watched each episode at least 6 times. Without ths show I would stop my HBO service.
  3. TD
    Aug 1, 2007
    I am hooked! It seems to me that the people who will not like this show are the ones who are not able to put the very small details together to form the story. You have to work to find the answers for the questions they raise, but that's what gets me hooked to a show. The writing is a 10. The character development is a 10. The environments are a 10. Just a great show once you get to I am hooked! It seems to me that the people who will not like this show are the ones who are not able to put the very small details together to form the story. You have to work to find the answers for the questions they raise, but that's what gets me hooked to a show. The writing is a 10. The character development is a 10. The environments are a 10. Just a great show once you get to the core of the story. Expand
  4. dirkR.
    Aug 6, 2007
    I love this existentialist crock pot. Convoluted plotlines, unnatural dialogue, the lot. The surfing ethos pervades this show, at points it builds to the sublime. Oh, and Johnny Appleseed (theme music) is a fantastic match for the show.
  5. KurtW
    Jul 30, 2007
    A fascinating show. I dare anyone to watch John's speech in the Motel Court Yard (Episode 6) and not be hooked. For those who are dismissive, check out the insightful fan discussion of the show at: http://www.thesnugharbormotel.com/index.php There are many fansites, but this one has the best and most active fan base interaction, all of which nly makes the viewing experience so much A fascinating show. I dare anyone to watch John's speech in the Motel Court Yard (Episode 6) and not be hooked. For those who are dismissive, check out the insightful fan discussion of the show at: http://www.thesnugharbormotel.com/index.php There are many fansites, but this one has the best and most active fan base interaction, all of which nly makes the viewing experience so much more addictive. Give JFC it's due...it is only hated because it has to fill the Sopranos' shoes and then after a crappy finale. That's a tough chore...give it a chance because the show is fabulous. Expand
  6. JulienC
    Jul 30, 2007
    It's interesting to read these comments. People either hate it or love it. Personally, I grew up in a beach town in Southern California so it rings a bell. I love this show. The plot and characters are captivating and raw. It's addictive.
  7. KN.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Simply the best show ive seen on HBO for a long while. You will only fully appreciate the show if you follow the series. The entire series sucks you into a world with vivid characters and a very powerful religious tie in. I am still trying to figure out johns statements and how they relate to the basic story involving the coming together of the cast. I do look forward to the second Simply the best show ive seen on HBO for a long while. You will only fully appreciate the show if you follow the series. The entire series sucks you into a world with vivid characters and a very powerful religious tie in. I am still trying to figure out johns statements and how they relate to the basic story involving the coming together of the cast. I do look forward to the second season! If you dont like to think this show isnt for you. Expand
  8. MaryD.
    Aug 13, 2007
    any show that can evoke so much emotion during a 1-hour time slot is genius. People who dont like it are afraid to stretch thier brains imaginations.
  9. SteveJ.
    Aug 14, 2007
    This show does exactly what it's supposed to do, leave me guessing and wanting more!
  10. EdwardP
    Aug 21, 2007
    Best show I've ever seen. love the story and characters and especially the mystery. I t doesn't treat the viewer like a moron having to explain what is happening. Probably ahead of it's time but hopefully it will stick around.
  11. lMC
    Aug 6, 2007
    Thought Provoking, classic milch elevated diction dialogue that makes me laugh or knit my brow. Yes infuriatingly confusing, but that's a nice change from who is going to get whacked this week.
  12. TimR
    Aug 7, 2007
    I find the show very entertaining and thought provoking. I look forward to it every week. Great job.
  13. ThomL
    Jul 26, 2007
    The more I watch the more I like it. I have a DVR so I have watched most episodes several times. I think if you like LOST you should be here too, but I notice that I'm the only one in my household who likes it.
  14. BobN
    Jul 31, 2007
    I was the biggest Sopranos fan and was very upset it was over, until I started watching JFC. This is the most creative, deep, but also very entertaining show I have ever watched on TV. Great job!
  15. GlennR
    Aug 13, 2007
    Great show. I only wish the critics were a bit more hip. Good shows like this don't seem to last very long in this country...most folks don't enjoy using their brians, especially while being entertained. I'll keep my fingers crossed for JFC.
  16. MikeB.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Are you people crazy this is the most innovative program ever. Who cares if we understand it . It leaves it open to everyone imagination. I will cancel my HBO if you cancel john. We are hooke please give iot one more season before you give up on it. Please Please Please.
  17. richardg
    Aug 17, 2007
    love the show, know lots of others complain about the pace, but i actually like the meandering. the character interaction is fun, and the slow paced early revelations with the quicker revelations towards the end (though understandably tough for some to stomach) was worth the investment of my time.
  18. martinc.
    Aug 21, 2007
    revelatory and exeptional, and, of course, now cancelled.
  19. Teds.
    Aug 24, 2007
    the show is awesome,PERIOD. We need a little out of the norm in relief of the daily grind.
  20. AlexO
    Aug 7, 2007
    Aasuming the story sucks, this gets a 7 out of the gate for it's originality and courage.
  21. LisaB
    Sep 4, 2007
    I loved it and so did all my friends. It draws you to think which is uncomfortable for people who like things in a nice neat box.
  22. StefanV
    Jul 21, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant. This show will go over many heads. Many will say, "Huh?" But it is a metaphysical wonderland - full of interesting ideas. But the best is the box of chocolate characters. Strong. Quirky. Developing. Almost like Noah brought together his animials - and instead of an Arc - ended up at a motel parking lot. I am so looking forward to this show every week! Rock on dudes!
  23. MikeC
    Jul 22, 2007
    Best show ever on HBO! For those who prefer to think instead of being spoon fed, this show is fantastic!. Amazing! July 23, 2007
  24. RickB
    Jul 23, 2007
    JFC is unlike anything else on HBO, much less on network television. The characters are rich and the writing is mesmerizing. My appreciation with the work of Milch and company grows deeper each week. If you're looking for something formulaic with a linear plot line and stock characters, a la the much heralded 24, then look elsewhere. But if you're willing to spend the time and JFC is unlike anything else on HBO, much less on network television. The characters are rich and the writing is mesmerizing. My appreciation with the work of Milch and company grows deeper each week. If you're looking for something formulaic with a linear plot line and stock characters, a la the much heralded 24, then look elsewhere. But if you're willing to spend the time and attention this show demands, and you're willing to let the show wash over you with each repeated viewing yielding more depth of enjoyment, you will not be disappointed. If you're looking for a show about surfing, go watch Endless Summer. This is something else entirely. If you get lost, check out the posts on HBO.com. Much insight there. In summary, I love this show for how it makes me feel, and I'm hard pressed to tell you exactally why. Watch it. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy! Expand
  25. HIM
    Jul 31, 2007
    Intellectually challenging and quite a refreshing change from Pavlovic shows such as "Grey's Anatomy"
  26. jonh
    Aug 13, 2007
    best show on tv. if you are stupid, you won't like it.
  27. SharonR.
    Aug 14, 2007
    I love this show. I like the fact that they have not given up what is going on. every monday me and my 3 grown kids watch together, even my 4 year old grandson loves the surfing scenes. I love everything about the show, because i am not sure what going on my mind is thinking up all sorts of ideas. Please give me back John, and the whole rest of the gang. Please Please give another season.
  28. BrandyC.
    Aug 14, 2007
    absolutely wonderful show Im going to put this page as a myspace bulletin so everyone i know can vote for it as a 10
  29. BarryT
    Aug 26, 2007
    10++++ I LOVE thisshow! Quirky, strange, mesmerizing, with the richest cast of characters, wonderful subplots--and the big question. I couldn't wait until the next show, then the next season. I watched each episode on On Demand at least twice to pick up all the subtleties. Now I just found out HBO cancelled it. HBO, PLEASE reconsider! Please put John fro Cincinnati back on the air.
  30. Jan 25, 2012
    No description of this series makes it sound at all appealing. In fact, despite my enthusiasm for surfing, Zen, and Garrett Dillahunt, I didn't watch it until last year, not just because of the bad reviews, but because even the good ones made "John from Cincinnati" sound about as alluring as listening to Cyndi Lauper read the Manhattan Phone Directory through a bullhorn while Dick CheneyNo description of this series makes it sound at all appealing. In fact, despite my enthusiasm for surfing, Zen, and Garrett Dillahunt, I didn't watch it until last year, not just because of the bad reviews, but because even the good ones made "John from Cincinnati" sound about as alluring as listening to Cyndi Lauper read the Manhattan Phone Directory through a bullhorn while Dick Cheney cleaned my teeth with a hunting rifle. And I'm not the only viewer the series failed to attract. Recently, I read that less than a quarter of the audience who watched the finale of "The Sopranos" stuck around to check out "John." In other words, the show never had a chance. And that was a shame of the first order, because "John" turns out to be one of the most original, profound, and moving series I've ever seen. Not only is there nothing like it, there's nothing even close enough to allow a cautious, qualified comparison--a descriptive comparison, that is. Even a non-descriptive comparison is hard. I could think for hours and then finally stammer, "John from Cincinnati" is to "Deadwood" as "The Tempest" is to "1 Henry IV," but,despite struggling to find the most apt analogy possible, all I have done is tell you "It's really different" and "It's really good." So, though I normally condemn unsubstantiated value judgments, I think it's essential to make one here, because anything I could say is as likely to make you shun "John from Cincinnati" as to make you want to watch it. If you think I'm just being lazy, look at some of my other reviews; all I'm trying to avoid is turning another potential viewer OFF. I will qualify my approbation a bit, however. "John" is not a show for fools, nor for people who just want to power down their brains after work and settle into a stupor. I'm not saying that the series requires effort to watch--it doesn't--but it will stimulate brains that are not already dead, and the questions it will raise are exciting. So viewers who mind being stimulated, mentally, should probably choose another series. "John" is also not a show for rigid people. If, for you, rules and categories and formulae are ends in themselves (rather than means of achieving certain ends), you will not like this series, as it consistently breaks generic and other boundaries. If characters must adhere to familiar types; if, for you, mothers must be nurturing and children lovable and junkies loathsome and surfers moronic and avatars eloquent, then, no, you will not like this series. If, however, you have an open, active mind and your sympathies extend to people unlike yourself and you've occasionally asked a question or two about what it might mean to be human and, most importantly, you really enjoy seeing something you've never seen before, especially if it's beautiful, then check out "John from Cincinnati." I have a feeling that your great-great grandchildren will be proud to tell their friends that you were among the very few who realized way back in 2012 that this series was a classic. Expand
  31. GaryT
    Jul 18, 2007
    This show is a failure. It lacks the honesty of the characters of Deadwood or the captivating mystery with in the story line of Carnival. I'm losing patents with the very slow story line development. This show won't make it. The character of John might be the second coming but, this show isn't.
  32. chrisr
    Jul 23, 2007
    This show is a mess... I like strange shows, but this is just horrible. The acting is crap, the script is crap... What was HBO thinking?
  33. HaroldS.
    Sep 7, 2007
    A Milch mix with Nunn nuts, is a total waste of time. The Deadwood type talk is simply out of place; just so ostentatious I'm pleased that it was dropped from HBO.
  34. adam
    Jul 23, 2007
    I'm trying to hang in there...but "waiting for something to happen" is really starting to get old. The Deadwood speak is tiring and no longer interesting. I can't connect with anybody, because everything is too unrealistic. I was hoping for smoother zen-like transitions that explore life through surfing...Not so. They might as well wear period wigs and shoot in natural I'm trying to hang in there...but "waiting for something to happen" is really starting to get old. The Deadwood speak is tiring and no longer interesting. I can't connect with anybody, because everything is too unrealistic. I was hoping for smoother zen-like transitions that explore life through surfing...Not so. They might as well wear period wigs and shoot in natural light...very grey, very very grey. Expand
  35. DanielN
    Jul 26, 2007
    Worst show ever produced on HBO. HBO has given too much freedom to David Milch, who seems to think every word he touches turns to gold. I hope HBO quickly cancels this spectacle, or else they may lose too many viewers to afford it for a season two. David Milch is done in my book. He abandoned "Deadwood" for this BS. Wow, what an idiot!
  36. Renee
    Jul 26, 2007
    This show is horrible. It makes no sense, characters are stiff, the script is junk. Don't bother watching unless you want it to put you to sleep!
  37. helenee
    Jul 29, 2007
    Watching it is painful. It hurts my head. What the hell was the zombie green corpse that John brought out into the yard in that one episode? After that, the show lost it for me.
  38. TedB
    Aug 18, 2007
    How in the world can so many people give this show a 10? And half of you that rated it that high admit you don't have a clue as to what the damn thing is all about! Somehow I managed to force myself to watch this show until the very end out of a sense of devotion to HBO and David Milch, but, oh my god, what a waste of time! And that had to be one of the worst endings for a supposedly How in the world can so many people give this show a 10? And half of you that rated it that high admit you don't have a clue as to what the damn thing is all about! Somehow I managed to force myself to watch this show until the very end out of a sense of devotion to HBO and David Milch, but, oh my god, what a waste of time! And that had to be one of the worst endings for a supposedly edgy show ever. It smacked of "Let's Get This Over With." The only thing it was missing was a group hug while they were all floating above the ground singing Kumbaya. Yes, there was some solid acting and direction, but the writing was straight out of a 5 day meth-bender. What, did they think we would be duped into buying the phony metaphysical subtext? More like metafarcical. And please don't try and tell that was the point or I will barf all over my keyboard. They didn't have a point. This wasn't just style over substance, it was gibberish over nonsense. I guess this is what successful writers and producers do once they have enough money to get coked out of their minds. And people gave it a 10? I give it a 0 in the name of sanity. If I could have given it a -10, I would have. The just punishment for HBO, should they chose to renew this series, would be to force them to watch it over and over again without their bongs and stash of coke. Expand
  39. MarcP.
    Sep 10, 2007
    As satisfying as a Chinese crossword puzzle wish I had time to learn the language of Milchanese.
  40. HenryN.
    Sep 8, 2007
    this show wasn't smart or complex, it was an embarrassing testament to how dumb the tv audience has gotten. Milch's politics and screwy beliefs in faith healing and miracles served up like some Universal Truth. Throw in a few magic tricks and some will mistake confusion for complexity. Only psychotics would think a show about some upcoming genocide and apocalypse is "uplifting." this show wasn't smart or complex, it was an embarrassing testament to how dumb the tv audience has gotten. Milch's politics and screwy beliefs in faith healing and miracles served up like some Universal Truth. Throw in a few magic tricks and some will mistake confusion for complexity. Only psychotics would think a show about some upcoming genocide and apocalypse is "uplifting." Think about THAT. Expand
  41. BillB
    Jul 23, 2007
    i have watched this show all 5 episodes, mainly out of the inertia of plopping my old butt on the sofa at 9PM on Sundays to watch HBO- sort of rigor mortis from Sopranos days..... J from C has the worst dialogue i've ever seen in a show- did Bruce Greenwood quit already? how do you take the lead guy in a brand new series and shelve him for 2 or 3 episodes? and leave the lead to i have watched this show all 5 episodes, mainly out of the inertia of plopping my old butt on the sofa at 9PM on Sundays to watch HBO- sort of rigor mortis from Sopranos days..... J from C has the worst dialogue i've ever seen in a show- did Bruce Greenwood quit already? how do you take the lead guy in a brand new series and shelve him for 2 or 3 episodes? and leave the lead to Rebecca D- who walks around looking dazed and confused with her cracking voice patterns. i've tried to like it, because the california beach town/ surfer theme is interesting, but this is really, really poorly executed. there are some HBO types who believed their own BS/ infallibility who will be looking for jobs soon Expand
  42. AllyN
    Jul 26, 2007
    If this show doesn't bring Milch back to reality (he is not the God of TV), then I don't know what will. I'm aggrivated at HBO for letting such crap take up time on their network. After all, HBO had produced such great series before, and I can't recall one that is as terrible as this one. My husband and I have watched the episodes in agony, waiting for something to If this show doesn't bring Milch back to reality (he is not the God of TV), then I don't know what will. I'm aggrivated at HBO for letting such crap take up time on their network. After all, HBO had produced such great series before, and I can't recall one that is as terrible as this one. My husband and I have watched the episodes in agony, waiting for something to make us look forward to next week's show. But we're done, not watching any more. A great show will hook you in an episode, a good show will hook you in two or three, but this piece of junk will make you want to watch Desperate Housewives and cancel HBO. Expand
  43. Brooke
    Jul 26, 2007
    Worst show on cable ever. HBO should be ashamed of this crap. Please put us out of our misery and cancel it now!
  44. TG
    Aug 13, 2007
    All the awful self-indulgence that Deadwood displayed, plus god-awful dialog, a dumb plot, and poor acting from talented actors.
  45. Bobv.
    Aug 13, 2007
    I just don't like the premise, the acting, or anything else. I did not really like deadwood either. This show has way to much drama for my taste and wacky(lame) surrealism.
  46. RS.
    Contrived and obtuse
  47. lesm
    Aug 15, 2007
    what a load of crap. I watched every episode hoping that it would make sense eventually. I watched it because it was by Milch I think he must be back on the sauce
  48. BrianS.
    Aug 17, 2007
    This show was a hot, steaming Turd - Milch was definitely off the wagon on this one. Not in the same category as Deadwood, The Soprnos or even Carnivale. Now when is Bill Maher back on?
  49. Mike
    Aug 20, 2007
    The premier was promising. That was the highlight of the series. David Milch thinks he's modern-day Shakespeare. If it's not bad enough he uses 960 words to express each sentence, it's written in such superfluous word-wasting nonsensical existential bullshit, I just don;t give a shit about a single character that opens his or her mouth, except for the parrots. Each week The premier was promising. That was the highlight of the series. David Milch thinks he's modern-day Shakespeare. If it's not bad enough he uses 960 words to express each sentence, it's written in such superfluous word-wasting nonsensical existential bullshit, I just don;t give a shit about a single character that opens his or her mouth, except for the parrots. Each week drags on and on slower and slower, with 10 times more questions than answers about who these people are and what the hell they are doing, and more importantly, WHY DO WE CARE ABOUT THEM? Most of the episodes have absolutely NO plot advancement or resolutions whatsoever. Characters sleepwalk through the show dribbling out 60 second meaningless sentences like a child pissing in his diapers running down his leg and on our shoes. I am so sick of every character's self-indulged vacant paralysis I can;t even stand to watch them, especially the perpetually hyper-angry Sissy who spews a river of shit on anyone and everyone for no reasopn whatsoever. She has one speed and one dimension: EXTREME BITCH. I wish they would all drown together, except the parrots. Expand
  50. ElaineA.
    Aug 6, 2007
    This is farb from a replacement for Six Feet Under and Sopranos. The dialogue is strange and the story boring so far. The acting seems sub par. In the last episode I wanted to turn it off and watch State of Mind after 10 minutes but stayed tune. The deal with Cissy running around looking for Shawn was boringand pathetic. Get a stroy soon or you will lose everyone.
  51. MartinS
    Nov 28, 2007
    I realize David Milch has his own writing style but frankly I'm getting sick of his circuitous routes to the simplest of points.
  52. LReiman
    Jul 22, 2007
    Very bizarre mess. No cohesion. While I watched Deadwood it was not my favorite despite being well done but J from C is just plain convoluted. Too many style mixes--too many disjointed subplots. Good luck trying to make sense out of it. I give up. Deadwood was better even in my book.
  53. Ken
    Jul 23, 2007
    I tried to like this but who could. The characters are hateful, cheating, cursing unlikeable people who respond to situations that are so unreal. Hey I'm floating - grab a camera. Hey I'm not dead - I still just want to smoke and surf. Hey, there's this weird dude - let's invite him to follow us everywhere. Whatever, it's not a thinking person's series as I tried to like this but who could. The characters are hateful, cheating, cursing unlikeable people who respond to situations that are so unreal. Hey I'm floating - grab a camera. Hey I'm not dead - I still just want to smoke and surf. Hey, there's this weird dude - let's invite him to follow us everywhere. Whatever, it's not a thinking person's series as it's hateful people do stupid things. I'll be watching reruns of the Sopranos before watching more of this. Expand
  54. bat
    Jul 31, 2007
    shame on david milch!!!!!!
  55. lynnen.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Hate it - it drags on and on without making any sense - bring back Deadwood - but, if you want "Dead Wood" - that describes JFC.
  56. TimM
    Aug 13, 2007
    Tried to like this show and give it a chance, but its impossible - finally put the last nail in the coffin last night - just couldn't even get thru the whole show. Can't believe Deadwood was given up for this crap. And we're supposed to accept the Deadwood actors in this new series? All they did was take the hooker clothes off Trixie - her personality is exactly the same - Tried to like this show and give it a chance, but its impossible - finally put the last nail in the coffin last night - just couldn't even get thru the whole show. Can't believe Deadwood was given up for this crap. And we're supposed to accept the Deadwood actors in this new series? All they did was take the hooker clothes off Trixie - her personality is exactly the same - its insane! what the heck is up with HBO - why abandon such great shows like Carnivale, Deadwood, & Rome and feed us this junk - its about time to cancel my HBO - all the reasons to keep paying for it are gone. Shame on you HBO Expand
  57. ericg.
    Aug 13, 2007
    What the hell was that? Many of the great elements (including actors) of 'Deadwood', but without a coherent plot. While I saw every episode, at some point roughly a month ago, it dawned on me that the emperor's just not wearing any clothes.
  58. roycet.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Ugh. What exactly was that?
  59. DonnellW
    Aug 17, 2007
    How in the world can so many people give this show a 10? And half of you that rated it that high admit you don't have a clue as to what the damn thing is all about! Somehow I managed to force myself to watch this show until the very end out of a sense of devotion to HBO and David Milch, but, oh my god, what a waste of time! And that had to be one of the worst endings for a supposedly How in the world can so many people give this show a 10? And half of you that rated it that high admit you don't have a clue as to what the damn thing is all about! Somehow I managed to force myself to watch this show until the very end out of a sense of devotion to HBO and David Milch, but, oh my god, what a waste of time! And that had to be one of the worst endings for a supposedly edgy show ever. It smacked of "Let's Get This Over With." Yes, there was some solid acting and direction, but the writing was straight out of a 5 day meth-bender. What, did they think we would be duped into buying the phony metaphysical subtext? More like metafarcical. And please don't try and tell that was the point or I will barf all over my keyboard. I don't think they had a point. This wasn't just style over substance, it was gibberish over nonsense. I guess this is what successful writers and producers do once they have enough cash to get coked out of their minds. And people gave it a 10? I give it a 0 in the name of sanity. If I could have given it a -10, I would have. The just punishment for HBO, should they chose to renew this series, would be to force them to watch it over and over again without their bong and stash of coke. Expand
  60. BrianF.
    Jul 11, 2007
    grows on you as you watch each new episode
  61. RachelC
    Jul 1, 2007
    This is my favorite new show of the season, perhaps of the year. It doesn't even occur to me that there is supposed bad acting or that some of the shows stars are surfers and not actors at all. Each person brings something special, and you begin to realize that this is a story about a rather large, extremely dysfunctional family. "John" brings comic relief to the show, but also This is my favorite new show of the season, perhaps of the year. It doesn't even occur to me that there is supposed bad acting or that some of the shows stars are surfers and not actors at all. Each person brings something special, and you begin to realize that this is a story about a rather large, extremely dysfunctional family. "John" brings comic relief to the show, but also offers the perfect amount of hope to the situations this family faces. Bottom line is, I'm captivated! That's all there is to say. Expand
  62. TenleyN.
    Jul 3, 2007
    It's about time for a "television" (it's not tv, it's HBO), to come up with something that makes us pay attention and use our noggins. Leave it to Milch to come up with a cast of indelible characters, poke fun at us and make us ponder something other than ourselves (which is just about all the character Mitch does!). Looking forward to more; every detail matters here, so It's about time for a "television" (it's not tv, it's HBO), to come up with something that makes us pay attention and use our noggins. Leave it to Milch to come up with a cast of indelible characters, poke fun at us and make us ponder something other than ourselves (which is just about all the character Mitch does!). Looking forward to more; every detail matters here, so pay attention. Collapse
  63. jimj.
    Jul 3, 2007
    Thanks again HBO for giving us another quality show! very few networks..with he exception of Showtime, HBO and FX give us television that makes you think. The show has lots of different angles and characters to be developed.. I love the show and how Milch and his team can tear apart and rebuild characters like few others...Keep up the Great work!
  64. Judy
    Aug 20, 2007
    I really hope this show continues. Despite the degenerate society portrayied there were some signs of the basic goddness of humanity shining forth. More please!
  65. JeffB
    Jun 10, 2007
    It is a very fun, interesting show. Nothing exactly happened in the first show, but it's already more original than half of what's out there.
  66. RickJ
    Jun 10, 2007
    Wonderful. Way to go Milch. Look forward to many more.
  67. jordon
    Jun 10, 2007
    Confounding but intriguing plotline. But most important, after one episode, I think I can grow to love these characters.
  68. glens
    Jun 13, 2007
    A lot of my high review comes from the large amount of faith I have in David Milch from his work on Deadwood. The dialog is just as fantastic as Deadwood, and the characters are compelling. The faith only plays a role in that it allows me to believe the series is going to go somewhere, and have some kind of message. Of course, so far I've only seen episode one, but I found it highly A lot of my high review comes from the large amount of faith I have in David Milch from his work on Deadwood. The dialog is just as fantastic as Deadwood, and the characters are compelling. The faith only plays a role in that it allows me to believe the series is going to go somewhere, and have some kind of message. Of course, so far I've only seen episode one, but I found it highly entertaining (watched it twice in fact), if a bit hard to follow at times. But it seems hard to follow only because of a certain depth and complexity, not because it lacks a plot or cohesion. Expand
  69. JohnF.
    Jun 27, 2007
    I love the series so far. Totally weird. Really dig the music too. Especially tha rare Muse track, the blues and Kava Kava 'Tic' when Shauni waits in the tent
  70. C.M.
    Jun 27, 2007
    I can not remember a show where the characters were more unlikeable and annoying than they are in this confusing mess of a show called "John From Cincinnati." After a frustrating three episodes, I am severely tempted to abandon the strain sitting through what amounts to a lot of hard to swallow wierdness and yelling. As I believe the story line has potential; however, I shall give it one I can not remember a show where the characters were more unlikeable and annoying than they are in this confusing mess of a show called "John From Cincinnati." After a frustrating three episodes, I am severely tempted to abandon the strain sitting through what amounts to a lot of hard to swallow wierdness and yelling. As I believe the story line has potential; however, I shall give it one more opportunity to charm and entice rather than fill me with distaste and bafflement. Expand
  71. Cheryl
    Jul 3, 2007
    I love this program. It's original and full of strange characters. I can't wait for Sundays so I can see a new episode.
  72. RachelV
    Jul 6, 2007
    I love it! I ordered HBO just for this show.
  73. barbarak.
    Aug 16, 2007
    Seeing HBO cancelled the best show on tv my comment is futile how dare they cancel John from cincinnati..read the reviews and not surprised the Boston Globe & the Christian Science Monator didn't GET John..they have no imagination in any of their writings.
  74. conorm
    Sep 5, 2007
    i thought this show was so incredible and it was one of the few shows out there where you just waited for the next episode.its an awesome show, bring it back!
  75. CraigT
    Jun 11, 2007
    i watched the first episode right after the sopranos, and i just came up with a big "meh." i think the fact that surfing's not nearly as cool as the mafia, grizzled fightin' cowboys in the old west, or a neurotic man running around LA getting into arguments with people will be the death knell of this show.
  76. Travis
    Jun 10, 2007
    Not just bad (the kid who plays Sean must be one of the worst actors I've seen), but incredibly boring. I tried so hard to get through the entire premiere episode but had to give up halfway through.
  77. PattiG
    Jun 14, 2007
    There is something that is so precious about this show that makes one smile, but it draws the line at being too sappy. Long live the new HBO series!!
  78. Julia
    Jun 22, 2007
    This is the type of show that you have to watch more than once to appreciate. I can see how that might turn some people off. TV has traditionally been instant gratification, no thought needed fare. If you are looking for something a little more hearty to sink your teeth inyo this summer, give JFC a chance. At the very least, you won't regret watching Greyson Fletcher (Shaun) surf.
  79. TomM
    Jun 26, 2007
    I can't quite explain why, but this damn show has captivated me somehow. I enjoyed The Sopranos, but if I missed an episode or two, it really didn't matter. But with JFC, I find myself waiting for the next show no sooner than the last one ended. It's got enough bizaare characters to fill an insane asylum, enough mystery to re-write Edgar Allan Poe, and an edge of mysticism I can't quite explain why, but this damn show has captivated me somehow. I enjoyed The Sopranos, but if I missed an episode or two, it really didn't matter. But with JFC, I find myself waiting for the next show no sooner than the last one ended. It's got enough bizaare characters to fill an insane asylum, enough mystery to re-write Edgar Allan Poe, and an edge of mysticism to top it all off. After three episodes I'm getting vibes that John is some sort of new age profit, and that Saun Yost is probably something like the second coming of Christ. I'm expecting to see hordes of devotees following Saun all over the coast of California seeking miracles and Truth before it's all done, but we shall see. Is it Sunday yet? Expand
  80. franckJ
    Jun 26, 2007
    This is a weird show but in a good way, there are a mix of drama, comedy,fiction.
  81. PynchonT.
    Jun 28, 2007
    Milch, it seems to me, is presenting a series about revelation - and,for this reason, "professional" critics cannot figure it out. He places this tale of revelation in the most secular of venues - the surfers and beachbums of SoCal. John, "of Cincinnati," like John the Baptist, is not the prophet himself but the presage of the prophet. The prophet is the youngest Yost surfer. After all, Milch, it seems to me, is presenting a series about revelation - and,for this reason, "professional" critics cannot figure it out. He places this tale of revelation in the most secular of venues - the surfers and beachbums of SoCal. John, "of Cincinnati," like John the Baptist, is not the prophet himself but the presage of the prophet. The prophet is the youngest Yost surfer. After all, EVERYONE else in the cast is increasingly dedicating their lives to protecting the boy. They don't talk about protecting him, they just do it. They don't know why, but they can't resist. Revelation. Moreover, ALL of the Yost males and even some of the protectors (including the once-drug-dealer) are experiencing "paranormal" phenomena, and the physician is already mystified. Expand
  82. JimG
    Jun 29, 2007
    I LOVE this show. It's quirky, keeps me guessing as what'll happen next, has memorable lines, good editing to keep all the plots in line... overall a great show, if you just let it flow through your head. John is a fascinating character that doesn't dominate the story, yet keeps you entertained whenever he appears in the show. Really hope it's not canceled because some I LOVE this show. It's quirky, keeps me guessing as what'll happen next, has memorable lines, good editing to keep all the plots in line... overall a great show, if you just let it flow through your head. John is a fascinating character that doesn't dominate the story, yet keeps you entertained whenever he appears in the show. Really hope it's not canceled because some folks don't like the new flavor of this type of show. It is my new favorite show & can hardly wait for Sunday nights... even if it means Monday morning is next. Expand
  83. JohnM.
    Jun 30, 2007
    "Somthings I know, somthings I don't" "The end is near" For those who have not spent the time, this show is not to be missed. JM
  84. ZigZigy
    Jun 30, 2007
    The most interesting show out there right now: it's got me totally roped inand hanging on to see what develops next. It is a wonderfully imaginative series with enagaging albeit flawed characters, visible to viewers warts and all, and you get a sense that things are going to get better for everyone involved.
  85. KimboS.
    Jul 11, 2007
    Most unique show I have seen in a long time. Characters seem really fresh and of course mysterious. You have never seen a show like this. I really hope the storyline develops and delivers. "I've got my eye on you"
  86. JasonB
    Jul 1, 2007
    Thank God for this show. It's so necessary, and overdue. For those who don't get it, you're better off sticking to Myth Busters. But then, to each their own. . .
  87. garya.
    Jul 16, 2007
    No more Deadwood.....No more Rome.....For THIS load of crap?!! Somebody tell me that this is a just a very bad dream!
  88. karen
    Jul 16, 2007
    While this show keeps you tuned for the most part, its more like watching a train wreck. The character could have potential if they could complete a sentence without screaming at each other. I think Sissy is one of the worst characters with the "you moron" phrase in just about every sentence. Milch need to give the characters more depth so we can relate or sympathize or bond with at least While this show keeps you tuned for the most part, its more like watching a train wreck. The character could have potential if they could complete a sentence without screaming at each other. I think Sissy is one of the worst characters with the "you moron" phrase in just about every sentence. Milch need to give the characters more depth so we can relate or sympathize or bond with at least one or more of them!!! Expand
  89. RyanB.
    Jul 17, 2007
    This show is amazing. It the best thing that HBO has done in a while.
  90. FrankS
    Jul 19, 2007
    I love querky. Is John an agel, devil, alien or an escaped experiement from a government lab. I don't know and really as long as they keep me feeling like I am exploring a new slightly out of reach parallel universe, I will watch. Want do you want Butchy? More JFC, of course.
  91. JimboFromJersey
    Completely unwatchable.
  92. ScottJ
    Jul 10, 2007
    "John from Cincinnati" is wonderful show. Ed O'Neill steals the show with a great performance as the lonely OCD Bill.
  93. IsaiahA.
    Jul 2, 2007
    Most of the people giving this show les han a seven re probably people who hate think when watch TV. They probably think TV is to make you mindless. Though JFC is a fresh of breath air to me! There is finally a show that dosn't show the veiwer everything and make the characters no nothing. We are just as clueless if not more clueless than chacters. You wonder who and what this person Most of the people giving this show les han a seven re probably people who hate think when watch TV. They probably think TV is to make you mindless. Though JFC is a fresh of breath air to me! There is finally a show that dosn't show the veiwer everything and make the characters no nothing. We are just as clueless if not more clueless than chacters. You wonder who and what this person John is what he wants and what else can you do besides making things popout his pockets and make people see visions of things. And if your one of those who love to think you probably ike to predict too. My guess is John is an Angel and the Yosts have a connection to god some how. Though I have my complaints the actors that portray Saun and Kye pay the role out. Though Suan racemay have a shyness problem or something. Kye has no excuse for bad acting. Expand
  94. KathyW.
    Jul 2, 2007
    The ONLY change I would make is to make the dialog clearer - easier to understand. The mumbling may be realistic acting but it doesn't help to understand what is going on in the episode. But even with this flaw, the story is provocitave and the multilayered characters are such a treat. Thanks HBO.
  95. Alex
    Jul 2, 2007
    This show is easily one of the most intelligent and forward thinking programs. Those who dont appreciate it fail to think outside the box. John From Cincinnati takes it to the next level!
  96. emilyb
    Jul 22, 2007
    Just keeps getting better and I still don't understand it.
  97. OnC.
    Jul 3, 2007
    "John From Cincinnati" I think is the strangest, most funny show ever produced for American TV. I'm really not into surfing either. This show has some great characters from all walks of life.
  98. KarenR.
    Jul 3, 2007
    Odd but very entertaining show...will definitely continue to watch.
  99. gloriac
    Jul 30, 2007
    Captivating and wonderful on every level...finally, something worth watching!
  100. AC.
    Jul 3, 2007
    For what this show lacks in exposition, it duly compensates with intrigue. Very well casted except the character "Shawnie" (the kid looks great but his acting is anemic). I give the show a strong 8 rating despite the fact that for all of the show's plucky dialogue and charming array of characters, each episode lacks enough payoff to the vague plot to capture the casual view. My guess For what this show lacks in exposition, it duly compensates with intrigue. Very well casted except the character "Shawnie" (the kid looks great but his acting is anemic). I give the show a strong 8 rating despite the fact that for all of the show's plucky dialogue and charming array of characters, each episode lacks enough payoff to the vague plot to capture the casual view. My guess is that if the writers don't start to reel components of this story in really soon and offer a couple of major twists to maintain a buzz, this show will be deader than Deadwood before the fall season. Still, I must admit I'm firmly captivated and I must know what eventually happens to Butchie, Mitch, Sissy, Kai, Bill, Link and John! Expand

It's only June,? but I can confidently state that you won’t see a weirder show than "John From Cincinnati" all year long.
  2. Intriguing but not entirely satisfying.
    Mesmerizing and entertainingly confounding.