• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 16, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.6

1. Jan 8, 2014
    Raylan and Boyd are back, and I couldn't be happier. Justified has the best regular and recurring cast on TV, and this season they even add on old pros like Dave Foley, Will Sasso, and David Koechner. It's basically heaven for those of us who love great line-readings, perturbed looks, and anything Elmore Leonard related.
    Jere Burns is now a regular, and that's awesome...but once again, it
    seems like the show is going to have a hard time finding things to do for Rachel and Tim. But they have brought back Dewey Crowe, so I can forgive them for anything.
    Now that Breaking Bad is over and done with, Justified is the best show on television.
  2. Jan 7, 2014
    I LOVE THIS SHOW. By far one of the funner and more enjoyable shows coming back. I should recommend this show to anyone and i really love this show. Just Amazing
  3. Mar 20, 2014
    Season Five has been rather disappointing. The Florida Crowes aren't menacing or interesting. Darryl was miscast, Kendal and Wendy are a drag; Danny was the only one who really fit in and conveyed real psychopathy on screen.

Ava's story-line is just brutal and boring. Boyd is all over the map and Raylan looks like he wants to be anywhere else rather than acting out the substandard
    scripts. The writers went overboard with Art's anger and you can tell the budget has become an issue with the limited and restricted appearances by both Tim and Rachel who are popular with the fans.

At least we saw a lot of the hilarious Dewey Crowe and his dim-witted antics - even Dickie Bennet got a few minutes on screen....

By far the poorest season since #1 and a major step back from season four.
  4. Jan 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a huge fan of this show, and it is amazing to me that it seems to only get better every season. Obviously it is to early to tell how this season will stack up against the others as a whole, but if the first two episodes are any indication, it will be amazing as ever. Timothy Olyphant continues to be perfect in the role of Raylan Givens, and this is coming from an avid fan of Elmore Leonard's Raylan books. He has a sly charm, a great swagger and underneath his calm demeanor, a cold edge. The dialogue continues to be among the very best on TV, and is expertly showcased by Raylan Givens, Boyd Crowder (the amazing Walton Goggins), Art Mullen (Nick Searcy) and a personal favorite side character of mine, Wynn Duffy (Jere Burns).

I can tell everyone that if you enjoyed past seasons, season 5 continues to live up to that high standard. New additions to the cast have strong potential, and the guest star lineup this show manages to attract is in a league of its own. Early into season 5, we have appearances from Amy Smart, Xander Berkeley, David Koechner, Will Sasso, Dave Foley and many more great additions. Returning characters like Dewey Crowe and Wade Messer have expanded roles, which means plenty of delightful stupidity is sure to follow from each of them! The expanded Crowe family is introduced and seems like an interesting bunch to follow, especially the intriguing addition of Jean Baptiste, apparently a former member of the Haitian secret police who seems to specialize in making bodies disappear!

What else needs to be said? A great and varied cast of quirky characters that are sure to delight, some of the best if not THE best dialogue on TV, a wonderful back country atmosphere and setting, a great balance between light and humorous with darkness and violence, great writing, and wonderful plots that are always interesting and never convoluted or difficult to follow. Bottom line, Justified is an amazing show and if you have not yet seen it, be sure to give it a try. BTW, season one is very good, but it really hits its stride at the end of the first season and into season two, and it only gets better going forward!
  5. Mar 26, 2014
    Compared to the previous four seasons, the best way I can describe this season is with two words: TRAIN WRECK. Slow to build up and it's clear the writers are trying to juggle too many plot points at once. The story arcs are some of the weakest in the series and the writers keep getting sidetracked by minutia along the way.

The introduction of the Crowes, which had been built up in the
    pre-season leadup spots, has turned out to be a complete bust because they're simply not compelling characters, their story is flimsier than toilet paper, and they shift the focus away from the Boyd/Raylan storylines too much. Case-in-point: We wasted an ENTIRE episode dealing with Raylan and the runaway Kendal, which turned out to be all for naught a mere few episodes later. It's like the writers didn't even remember they had written that episode at all a few scripts later and then scrambled to throw in a line to connect the episodes later.

User "apaeth" hits the nail on the head regarding Timothy Olyphant's performance as Raylan. He doesn't even seem like he wants to be playing the part anymore. Maybe part of that is because he's been helping produce the show, or maybe he's just not into the writing anymore, who knows. Walton Goggins is still absolutely amazing as Boyd and he's one of the few characters this season who I still feel a connection with. Raylan feels like a caricature by comparison. The rest of the "Marshals" cast, when they're around, are just phoning it in this season. As previously mentioned, the Crowes are boring and evoke zero emotional response while many other compelling characters had brief early series cameos and then fell off the face of the earth.

This will be the first season where the end will leave me completely dissatisfied and I'm not even sure I care to wait a year to see how they tie up all the loose ends they can't seem to juggle this season.
  6. Apr 24, 2014
    A very solid season through out but sadly ended on a rather predictable season finale. Still, It was far better than the previous season and it definitely helps that the show went back to it's roots and what made it so good in the first place.
  7. Feb 13, 2014
    This series is about is extremely well written ,directed and acted its the BEST drama series, and this season is getting even better and I heard some of the best lines in the history of film-making specially by Walton Goggins.
  8. Jan 29, 2014
    This is by far the best free cable series on TV. The story is good, the characters are great, and most importantly it doesn't fell like a crappy Network action show. It's the opposite of the Blacklist or the Marvel show. They are forced crap action, with no real fell to them.
  9. Feb 3, 2014
    Very true to Elmor Leonards creation and he liked it. What is great a out his show is it blends what's best about serial originals and episodic originals so you can just watch an episode and get it with no home work to do. I think the production values are very high and really bring the world of Elmor Leonards creation to the TV which is hard because we did not to use local color or inflammatory language.

The one any only thing I don't like about the show is Raylan would have never carried a plastic police glock. Raylan was fire arms shooting instructor in the books and carried a revolver S&W model 25 I believe. And he did not wear a regular cowboy hat he wore a business man's cowboy hat with the small rimm.
  10. Apr 8, 2014
    As much as I would love to see Justified succeed, Season 5 feels like the show is heading towards a dead end... the plot has turned incredibly dull and drawn out compared to GOT or Sherlock Holmes... the main actors are looking wary on set, and it shows in their delivery... Ava Crowder women prison scenes had potential, but poorly developed and acted.... the introduction of Crowe family was a mistake, especially the casting of Darryl, whose already been typecast as a weak minded character (e.g. Higher Learning)... as is Mexican cartel boss Mr. Yoon (who previously played silly Japanese sidekick in Heros, another horrible casting decision... the scandal involving Deputy Chief Art was nothing short of confusing and redundant... unlike Breaking Bad, season 5 of Justified has been nothing but downhill. Expand
  11. Mar 18, 2014
    The characters,especially Boyd Crowder, are some of the most interesting and complex I have seen in a TV series and the plot lines keep me engaged and rarely veer off course. I love this show.
  12. Mar 26, 2014
    Remarkably literate Western that happens to take place in contemporary Kentucky. The best dialogue and characters in any current medium. Timothy Olyphant is a terrific, deeply troubled Gary Cooper for our times and Waylon Goggins has proven that he is the most watchable, unpredictable American actor alive.
    I dread it's passing, as it is genuinely unique and therefore irreplaceable.
  13. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm giving season 5 so far an 8, though the series as a whole is a 10. The dialogue may be the best on TV lately, and you can't beat Boyd as an anti-hero. I find myself laughing out loud often at his and/or Raylon's repartee. I'm not loving the Ava-in-prison thing so much, and I'm a tad tired of all the dang Crows, but I can get past that. Meanwhile, the cig-pack bomb a week ago was a fabulous unexpected twist, both plot-wise and visually. Although, another small strike -- Mary Steenburgen, good Lord, what did she do to her face? The crease that runs from the edges of her mouth out under each cheek, and the stilted way her face moves when she speaks, is distractingly disturbing. Please kill off Mrs. Hale ASAP. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Jensen
    Jan 15, 2014
    It all feels been-there, done-that. Slow-burn start? Maybe. Or maybe Justified's own pipeline has run dry.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Dawidziak
    Jan 10, 2014
    Still standing magnificently tall in its fifth season, Justified more than justifies its place as one of television's best dramas. That's a crowded field, of course, but, in this critic's opinion, it is not just one of the best. It is THE best.
  3. Reviewed by: Willa Paskin
    Jan 7, 2014
    Justified is slumming it: not nearly as sharp or rich as it has been or could be, but still much more clever and enjoyable than its procedural peers. It’s begging to be graded on a curve, when it should be setting it.