6.7

1. Nov 14, 2012
    The fact that this show can get such high reviews is a sad indication of the bleak landscape that is television comedy today. The only reason I haven't given this show a zero, is because the second season seems to have balanced the black comedy cliches with the blatant white pandering to a more tolerable level. Anyone who believes it is "racist" to compare this show with Chapelle's Show is simply naive. Comedy Central has been trying to recapture the success of Chapelle's Show since Chapelle left, and this is simply the most successful yet. Most were such failures that you were never even aware they existed. David Allen Greer, enough said. While the sketches are convoluted, and giggle inducing at best, the real weakness in this show are the awkward and forced "comedy" bits in between. The hosts seem a bit more natural in delivery during the second season, but the material is still far from original or funny. One of the reasons Chapelle found such success was his attitude. He made sketches because he liked them and thought they were funny, the show was just an outlet. The same with Tosh.0, Comedy Centrals only other original success in recent history. Everything Key and Peele do seems forced and the sketches are marketed to the lowest common denominator, using race related material as a crutch rather than a tool of innovation.
    Unfortunately, I don't see this show going anywhere in the near future. If one day a sketch comedy can show half as much potential as Chapelle's show, this will be seen for the mediocre culture parody it is and will finally be rendered obsolete by actual competition. We can only hope.
  2. Mar 20, 2012
    I don't see what people see in this show. I gave it a chance and watched three episodes, but I didn't laugh or smirk a single time. I would put this into the same category as all of Tyler Perry's productions - that is, incredibly stupid black comedy.
  3. Mar 13, 2012
    I agree that it's not as provocative as Chapelle's show but just on the quality of the writing alone I would rate this show even higher. The Obama reverse psychology skit was one of the funniest things I've seen on television in years. Not all of their sketches rate as homeruns but I would give them a higher batting average that say... SNL.
  4. Feb 29, 2012
    Maybe it's unfair for me to compare Key and Peele to Chappelle's Show, but it's only natural when you consider it is a sketch comedy show. The show has it's funny moments here and there. I love the one where they're complaining about their wives, and are so paranoid that their wives will hear them when they say, "biiiiiiitttttttt*******". Sadly, the show is very inconsistent, and none of the jokes feel all that original. At times they seem to be trying way too hard to get a laugh. I may be a little harsh on my score, but it's only because I am getting tired of the fact that it's been a long time since Comedy Central has had a truly funny show. Like so many other Comedy Central shows in the past, Key and Peele falls short. Expand
  5. Mar 9, 2012
    don't hate on this show, compare it to chapelle show that's racist, because there both black comedian hosted shows, there is other sketch comedies, MAD TV hello,anyone who doesn't rate this a ten you know what i say to you?, I say,..........................Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttcccc########, no outside beverages in the theatre..
  6. Sep 18, 2012
    They LOVE to make fun of white people. What a double standard! The type of "comedy" they're doing has been done a million times before and these two are walking cliches of a black comedian. Such a shame they can't be more original with their material.
  7. Jul 1, 2013
    this show sucks, idk who writes these skits, but its pretty tasteless. two black guy trying to be funny but cant seem to steer away from racist jokes. we get that you're black, just get past that and do some more original jokes. if white comedians focused on racism all the time it would be... racist! Bring Dave Chappelle back, we want to laugh again
  8. Feb 3, 2012
    Most of the bits are hilarious! I love the chief cooking-competition! It made me laugh so hard, but some of the bits aren't so funny. But this show is an overall watchable.
  9. Feb 15, 2012
    Key & Peele will go down in history as one of the best sketch shows of all time. After 3 episodes they have already changed the way sketch comedy is written, directed and performed. Reggie Watts on the opening song! This show rules school.
  10. Mar 6, 2012
    This show in fact is very entertaining. I didn't expect to watch this show ever in a million years but I was brought to watching it because it is on after Tosh.o and for the most part I enjoyed it. Some of the bits aren't that funny but most of them definitely are.
  11. Nov 14, 2012
  12. Mar 1, 2012
    Key and Peele know comedy. Some sketches have been dull, but most of them have been anywhere from funny to hilarious. It's the new chappelle show. I love it i have to watch the new episodes when they come on and i like watching the re-runs.
  13. Oct 24, 2012
    Key & Peele is a really good show that's getting even better in the new season. Usually with a comedy duo, there's one person who's just a whole lot funnier than the other, but both Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele are on equally high footing. They're also really smart - and not within the genre of shows by black comedians - but rather in the context of Comedy Central shows, which often trend on the dumb side (Brickleberry, South Park). In addition to being actually rather funny, the sketches are almost always armed with plenty of subtext that make them worth a follow-up conversation (the civil war re-enactment gets crashed by slave re-enactors), and there's also just some silly material that's just comedically creative (the self-unaware racist country singer, the hula-hoop double-team). Despite the comparisons, it's actually less Chapelle's Show than it is Colbert Report, in that it's seething, complex and laugh-out-loud funny. The sketches are as unusual and the are unpredictable - ranging from two valets discussing their love of Liam Neeson films to Barack Obama's alleged years as college party-planner and stoner. And because themes involving race do appear regularly, it's not unreasonable for Comedy Central to think that they've at last replaced the cash-cow that was Chapelle's Show - but the truth is they kind of have something better on their hands with Key and Peele. Time has been a bit cruel on the former title, and looking back it's supporting cast had a lot to do with why that show was good; whereas Key & Peele are the main reason their show is consistently good. Also, Chapelle's Show was kind of counter-productive in ways that Key & Peele manages to pretty much avoid. The biggest surprise, however, comes in the dialogues between sketches... that actually prove to be as funny as the sketches themselves (as opposed to weak introductions). While they are almost certainly rehearsed, they feel really comfortably loose and contribute to the show's quality instead of just serving as filler that strings the sketches together. Actually, both SNL and MadTV's monologues are almost always terrible so Key & Peele is already entering the gate at an advantage. Expand
  14. Jan 31, 2013
    Easily the best skit show since Chappelle Show. However, I absolutely hate the awkward stand up comedy between skits. It's simply not funny. Aside from that and the occassional bad skit, It's a good show.
  15. Feb 15, 2012
    Key and Peele so far has been pretty stellar. The skits are funny and I personally like their styles. Best Obama impression on T.V. by far. But the stand up parts seem awkward. While I think they are decent-above average actors, they aren't stand up comedians. They can't do the stand up like Chappelle or Nick Swardson, who made their career out of it. Not to say their stand up topics are bad, it's just an awkward delivery. The one about Keegan giving a high five to Jordan got me laughing hard in Episode 3.

I would love to see this show continue, as I think it has great potential. I think something to build on is getting a constant and notable back up crew, aka Charlie Murphy for The Chappelle Show. Keegan and Jordan are usually the only two in the skit, which I feel hinders the long term potential.
  16. Jun 13, 2014
    This show is absolutely hilarious. Although some of the sketches get kind off stupid, the majority of the sketches are pretty good, and I think there getting better and better, gradually.
  17. Sep 20, 2013
    Chappelle's Show was a god send and we all wanted it to come back on air, Key and Peele replaces Chappele's Show amazingly (Racist remark? your choice) The point is, what we loved in Chappelle's Show is mastered in Key & Peele
  18. Oct 12, 2013
    I don't know what rock I've been under but just found this show today... Hilarious. Laughing, waking the whole house. Not usually a fan of Comedy Central but I will watch this.
  19. Dec 12, 2013
    This series is full of really solid sketches. And Jordan and Keegan-Michael elevate everything in performance. Also, the show looks great. Experienced execution all around.

1. Reviewed by: Roger Catlin
    Jan 31, 2012
    There's great energy and real laughs, and with any support at all from the network, this could mint as many new catchphrases as Chappelle.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Jan 31, 2012
    All told, it's a respectable niche addition but won't make anyone old enough to remember "In Living Color" apt to forget it.
  3. Reviewed by: Sarah Rodman
    Jan 31, 2012
    Like all comedy, whether the duo always sticks the landing will depend on the viewer.