Kitchen Nightmares : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.9

1. KevinG.
    Sep 20, 2007
    This rating is based on what I felt about the first episode. I have been watching the BBC version of this show for a while now and love it. I was concerned that when they brought it to America that FOX would feel the need to dumb down the show for US viewers, and force Gordon Ramsay to scream insults at people constantly like he does on Hell's Kitchen. Well, the good news is that he This rating is based on what I felt about the first episode. I have been watching the BBC version of this show for a while now and love it. I was concerned that when they brought it to America that FOX would feel the need to dumb down the show for US viewers, and force Gordon Ramsay to scream insults at people constantly like he does on Hell's Kitchen. Well, the good news is that he does a minimum amount of screaming. The bad news is that, yes, the first episode on FOX was a very DUMB version of the BBC show, and a much more contrived one as well. Peter, the loud & boisterous Italian restaurateur, was definitely hamming it up for the camera, and I have serious doubts about the coincidental arrival of the "bill collector" at the restaurant. The end of the episode is what annoyed me most, however. Peter was turned into an ultimate Mr. Scrooge character, who suddenly through the magical wisdom of Gordon Ramsay, becomes not only a good employee but patron saint of the whole neighborhood. This kind of miraculous happy ending would never have happened on the BBC. Yes, Gordon may help to settle differences and turn around a business, but he's not God. He can't spew an insult and suddenly change the personality of someone. What I hope is that in future episodes, Ramsay is occasionally allowed to FAIL in rescuing a restaurant. It happens on the BBC. It's realistic. To make Ramsay the magic Kitchen Fairy is an insult to the audience. Expand
  2. KW
    Oct 1, 2007
    BBC version was great. Showed a depth to Ramsay I didn't know. He showed that he really cared about the restaurant owners. Fox shows that they like their Brits obnoxious and nasty. Something tells me that Simon is probably nicer in the UK version of "Idol."

Leave it to Fox to take something the Brits did pretty well and muck it up.
  2. Kitchen Nightmares pushes all of the proper emotional buttons to draw we viewers in. But we're never for a moment able to suspend the notion that we, the audience, are being played.
  3. Reviewed by: Phil Gallo
    Kitchen Nightmares is shockingly good storytelling and hilarious. This may be the most compelling show of the new season