• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 27, 2012
  • Season #: 1
7.9

1. Sep 28, 2012
    So far, Last Resort looks like it has the potential to be the best TV since Lost. With a solid ensemble cast, a dramatic South Pacific locale and an intriguing premise, it has all the ingredients for a pretty compelling show. The first ep was fast-paced, tightly edited and action packed, so we lost no time meeting the core characters and getting straight into the story. The concept of a US sub with nuclear capabilities annexing a small tropical island to take a stand against dubious orders to attack Pakistan may stretch the limits of plausibility, but it was actually executed pretty persuasively in this premiere episode.

Andre Braugher makes a convincing captain, and Scott Speedman is a sympathetic and likeable second in command. There are a few too many tough, fast-talking, generically attractive twenty-something women in this show, although Daisy Betts stands out. She's believable in the role of Lieutenant Grace Shepard, and she seems complex and interesting. The only issue is that she's eminently better suited to married Lt. Commander Sam Kendal (Speedman) than his wife, played by Falling Skies' Jessy Schram, an ordinary weepy blonde, who seems too young for the role. I'm not sure how they're going to manage Speedman's character in future episodes. He's the most eligible and interesting potential love interest on the sub - he should be available. Camille De Pazzis makes a lame NATO communications officer, gushing over spooonfuls of Nutella and sobbing over Pakistan, and Autumn Reeser (whom I last saw in (The OC') is utterly unconvincing as a sexy weapons designer who flashes her lingerie in a completely gratuitous almost-sex-scene in the first 15 minutes. People called "Kylie" don't design high tech military devices for the US government. I hope we don't have to see too much of her. Dichen Lachman is potentially interesting as the exotic islander Tani Tumrejak, although in this episode she mostly stands around displaying a single emotion which is actually quite hard to read (Shock? Anger? Fear? Sadness?) until the end, when she soulfully embraces the creepy soldier who is storing a body in her freezer, has been slamming shots of scotch all afternoon and just threatened to execute 5 men in her bar. I hope they don't simply turn her into the submissive geisha-type who falls in love with the macho American GI.

These issues aside, the cast seems to gel together, and the dynamic in the sub is compelling. In fact, the action among this crew, both in the sub and on the island, is the most engrossing of the show - much more so than the stuff that happens in Washington. We've seen enough back-room DC politics in '24' and failed shows like 'FlashForward' and 'The Event' - it's hard to make it fresh and original. Among the crew, Robert Patrick is intriguing as a loose cannon, and the mysterious Navy SEALs have some interesting stories to tell that they're not telling yet.

All in all, this is the most promising new show of the season, and I was pretty much on the edge of my season for most of this impossibly jam packed first episode. I can't wait for the next.
  2. Sep 28, 2012
    By far this is one of the best shows to come out in years. An interesting plot, well written characters, and just enough action to keep people interested without being "overkill". My only real complaint about the show is that the premiere was only 1 hour, when it should have been a 2 or even 3 hour event. Hopefully we'll get a little more back story through flashbacks etc. in the coming episodes. 10/10! Expand
  3. Sep 27, 2012
    Epic show. If the first episode is any indication, Last Resort is going to be an amazing show. This was one of the best pilots I've ever seen, right up there with Lost's. This episode was action packed, suspenseful and dramatic. The characters were very likable and believable as well. Check this show out, it deserves viewers because it has a ton of potential .
  4. Oct 4, 2012
    Hate to say it, but poor writing will kill off a lot of new shows this year. This isn't one of them. Best new show of the year so far. Feels like a Lost/24 mash up with some actual intelligent writing. Loved the Pilot.
  5. Sep 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. This was the best new pilot of the season in my opinion. It had me hooked in the first fifteen minutes. The acting is great and the premise is certainly intriguing. Definitely looking forward to how well it maintains the suspense and the conflict with the inhabitants of their landing spot. Collapse
  6. Dec 21, 2012
    ok, episode 10 was so ridiculously awesome! i really hope they dont cancel they show. the best tv drama since lost. incredibly well written with good drama and great acting and tension you can knife. Truly deserves all the praise. haters gonna hate.
  7. Oct 11, 2012
    This is not like 'LOST'! The only reason people think that is it's now set on a tropical island. If you do need a comparison it's like the movie Crimson tide with the political intrigue of 24.
    Last Resort is very interesting for now and proved to be one of the best pilots for the year. If it keeps up the pace and writing of episode 1&2 then this is going to be amazing.
    As for the feel
    of the show.. It's just managed to rise above the lame "family" category by a few centimetres.
    Not much though! So I hope you don't expect 24 style of violence. The acting ranges from good to amateurish. There will be bits you can nit pick at but it's damn fun and hold so much potential. Watch it and make it popular so the people involved can take us to the next level.
  8. Oct 1, 2012
    About as well done as any new show out there. It appears that this is going to be another "Lost", but done better. I'm not much for serials, but the first episode was done so well that I'm going to give it a shot......if I have enough space on my DVR.
  9. Oct 12, 2012
    In my opinion, Last Resort is one of the best TV series that have debuted this season. Intense storyline. Outstanding direction. Brilliant performances. The good thing about the series is that it keeps getting bigger and better.
  10. Oct 1, 2012
    Very entertaining, every minute was informative and interesting. The characters are believable and fit the parts they're playing (to me anyway). I hope the writers can keep up the good work and don't get bogged
    down in simmering romances, love triangles, and other soap opera type plot lines. I really enjoyed this show. It has so much potential to be a must see program. I can't wait
    for Sunday
    to roll around.
  11. Oct 8, 2012
    This series left me wanting for more so badly after each episode that I wondered why. The show is a mix of an action movie and drama. I feel like the majority of the show is about the characters and their conflicts so far so it might not be the show to watch for action fans. What really excites me about the show is the plot. I'm really interested to find out what kind of conspiracy is going on and where the story is going. Btw, If you're all about realistic storylines then you won't like this show. The writing is solid imo but we've seen better on TV. I still want to give it 9 points because it is my favourite new show of this season.

While not being on the level of shows like Homeland or Breaking Bad it's still above average.
  12. Oct 13, 2012
    This is, by far, one of the best shows I've seen in years. Knew it would be pretty good with Shawn Ryan at the helm. Sooo different from anything else out there. Not a police drama. Not a medical drama. And, so current in its subject matter. Love Andre Brauer, Scott Speedman, and the rest of the cast. Not just military, but great relationship drama. Hope to God this one stays on the air. It's one of the few I'm watching. A+++ Expand
  13. Nov 27, 2012
    This is easily the best new show of the season. Great cast, amazing set location and effects, and a great story. Very slight spoilers ahead for those who haven't seen the first episode, but it's necessary to tell you about this show. A normal day on the USS Colorado, out in international waters near Europe when a group of Navy SEALS call for emergency pickup. The Colorado aids them with a pickup, and dives. Next, an order comes through a secondary channel, confirming a strike on Pakistan. The officers in charge question orders, and the world goes to hell. From soldiers of war, to the civilians caught in the crossfire; democracy to tyranny. This show has a lot of perspectives, and a lot going on. Give it a chance from episode one, and tell me you're not hooked.

10/10.
  14. Jan 30, 2013
    Due to the nature of United States (USA) citizen nowadays protesting heavily on the rigged and lobbied United States governments lead by Barrack Obama and the 1% of the elite class, ABC network reluctantly refused to let the series continued to Season 2.

After relentlessly being pressured from the United States MK Ultras(hidden government within it), the Chinese government that
    basically owned Hollywood and also the Pakistani government the network have decided to pull the plug on the series.

The series clearly shows how such false flag operations done illegally by the US could influenced the US foreign policy to invade or engage in war in other countries easily systematically.

This series have also woken up 99% of the ''sleeping'' American citizen and also the vast population of people around the globe of what the United States government is capable of doing under their nose.

From the Pearl Harbour incident to the Korean war ,the Gulf of Tonkin incident that triggered the Vietnam war, until recently the 9-11 the World Trade Centre implosion after the planes hit the tower and the ''pulling'' of Building 7 that triggered the war that is still ongoing in the Middle East,Pakistan and Afghanistan.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2012
    This new series is a bold military thriller. [8 Oct 2012, p.60]
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Sep 28, 2012
    The show has one of the most thrilling pilots of recent years, but there are a few growing pains in the subsequent two episodes as the show sorts out the weight it gives stories involving the sub's crew, the locals on the tropical island they commandeer and the people back home who have connections to the sub.
  3. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Sep 27, 2012
    Last Resort's premise alone promises a pretty good action thriller. But co-creator (with Karl Gajusek) and writer Shawn Ryan has produced something much bigger and better than an exercise in bang-bang.