Lilyhammer : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Feb 6, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.2

1. Nov 7, 2014
    Very different. Had to struggle to watch it at first but it has gotten better. Love the main character but I think it should have a few "wow I didn't see that coming" moments. So far I am not going to drop it but I have yet to feel excited about watching the next episode.
  2. Feb 28, 2012
    Being a Sopranos fan I had high hopes for Lilyhammer, but after watching a few episodes, not so much. First, the premise is flawed; I can't believe a NY gangster would willingly choose Lillehammer as the destination for a new life. The plot would have been better served if the FBI had forced him there, maybe a few wiseguys in the witness program had been whacked -an informer in the bureau-Being a Sopranos fan I had high hopes for Lilyhammer, but after watching a few episodes, not so much. First, the premise is flawed; I can't believe a NY gangster would willingly choose Lillehammer as the destination for a new life. The plot would have been better served if the FBI had forced him there, maybe a few wiseguys in the witness program had been whacked -an informer in the bureau- thus a last minute switch to Norway. Second, the Nordic town seems to be "Happy Days" revisited, where the inhabitants are all affable Cunningham's in dire need of the Fonz to either offer sreet-wise advice or a timely punch to the face to solve all problems. A little self-deprecation in a protagonist, especially a caricature, sometimes lends a little depth for an adult audience. Lastly, the thing that killed it for me was the all too easy and obvious treatment of the haughty Muslim man at the beginning of episode two. C'mon, writers, that was like throwing red meat into the cat cage, every low brow NY viewer and pissed-off Nord redneck wants to smack around the foreigner for his foreign habits, especially Muslims. Couldn't that have waited until things got so bad Fonzi had to jump the shark cage? I hope Netflix continues to produce shows, I'll keep trying them, and I'll keep trying to watch LH, but my hopes have certainly dimmed. Expand
  3. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first 5-ish episodes of Lilyhammer had me fairly riveted. It seemed I had found a new series to gladly binge upon. Steven Van Zandt (henceforth known as SVZ) proves that he has characteristics that qualify him as a lead man. I find the premise of the series quite fascinating as well. The far-right, take-no-prisoners Frank pitted against the bureaucratic and affable backdrop of Norway. The writing on this show can also be found to be very witty and inventive at times, along with the cinematography (the charming Scandinavian land and cityscapes don't hurt).

But for all it's quirks and innovation, Lilyhammer is not without its problems. First, the character of Frank is simply unlikable. Aside from the comedy of his goombah mannerisms and mouth, there's not much else that makes me want to root for, or even watch, Frank Tagliano. His strongly held beliefs are all despicable. Violence and threats are his solution to just about every single conflict that he encounters. I am 3/4 of the way through the first 2 seasons and Frank seems to have learned nothing from the townspeople in Lilehammer and experiences he's had there; he's just decided to carry on in his own blood-soaked and bullheaded ways and made no compromises. Simply put, his character has not grown or changed at all. You can include all kinds of trickery and allusions and metaphors in your writing, but if you can't get this one essential facet right it becomes all for naught.

There are other problems too. On his own, the character of Torgeir is very likable and interesting, but pair him up with Frank and often times the result is a forced attempt at producing chemistry between the two of them. The premises are often far-fetched. The two gangsters sent from New Jersey to eliminate Frank were completely unbelievable as mafiosi and (I understand that this show is a "comedy") were completely unbelievable as gangsters. All the references to old gangster movies included now as a matter of course in this show are clearly an attempt at hero-worship, but mostly come across as hackneyed. SVZ himself often comes across as wooden and even bored with the acting itself.

To summarize, the show is mostly watchable, funny and touching at times, and I basically want to see what happens. But the show can also be contrived and too zany even for a show that is attempting to incorporate so many genres into one meld.
  4. Feb 19, 2014
    Someone please tell NetFlix that a .38/.357 revolver does not have 11 shots, 6, or maybe 7 for a S&W 686. Got about 5 minutes through the first episode and Silvio Dante just was not cutting it.

1. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Feb 13, 2012
    Lilyhammer splits the difference between lightness and the dark. [17 Feb 2012, p.63]
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Feb 8, 2012
    Lilyhammer is an odd little series with potential.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Feb 8, 2012
    The Norwegians are the foreigners here, and Norway the foreign land. But that remoteness is part of the show's appeal.