• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 19, 2007
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
8.5

1. Oct 15, 2010
    Love the show, especially the stuff set in the business world vs the home-life stuff. One question though-- do the writers have some sort of competition on going for how unlikable they can make Betty?
  2. Sep 17, 2010
    There is not a hair out of place on these actors nor a prop mis-acquired. The era is represented prefectly. As a woman, watching this can be quite shocking, it does help me put myself in my mother's shoes and understand her life.
  3. BKM
    Sep 23, 2011
    I gravely misjudged this series when I first viewed it. I mistakenly assumed that it was an exercise in style over substance. But the truth is that Mad Men is a series that moves at a deliberately slow pace as it peels away layer after layer of the facades that its characters have created to protect themselves from their own emotions and from the radical social changes that are beginning to forever change the cultural landscape. It rewards patience and loyalty with large emotional dividends. Expand
  4. Aug 16, 2010
    Boring..season 4 shows that the writers are losing interest and certainly we feel the same. I watched this show from day one and always looked forward to to the next one. It is hard enough to keep up since there are only 13 shows a year but the writers are flying through the 60's missing many opportunities for good stories. This season is nothing more than Don sleeping with everyone and drinking. Alright already, we got that in the first season. Betty's marriage was not written about at all...I wondered if I had missed a show...This season is tedious to watch. I was a huge fan this past 3 years. This season I am sorry I spent $20 on Itunes to get the show at a better time than 10 pm sunday nights...Bcoooooo MadMen Expand
  5. Oct 15, 2010
    Mad Men is an impressive new show and the brilliance doesn't stop at how decadent and accurate it is. The show boasts an remarkable cast of characters, in particular the cunning and striking Don Draper played by Jon Hamm in a remarkable iconic performance, the co-head of the company Roger Sterling who portrayed by John Slattery is brilliant in the episode "Long Weekend" and January Jones as Don's beautiful housewife Betty Draper who just brings both a beautiful charm and a hidden agenda to her portrayal. This show will go on to be remembered for the ages, the problem is that the show won't be as appealing to some audiences. Expand
  6. Sep 30, 2011
    I seriously doubted that this season would be any good, to be honest. The first few episodes were, to say the worst, a bit boring. But as the show went on, I grew more and more involved with the story, characters and everything. Pretty damn good, though
  7. Oct 8, 2010
    Mad Men is poorly written, it spews continually lackluster dialogue, and it struggles with one boring plot line after another. The show boasts quite the cast, but this only underscores how poorly the writers have done in utilizing the talent at their disposal. When it first came out I was intrigued, and subsequently watched several episodes, but it didn't take long to come to the realization that there is simply no "there" there. Short of the somewhat unique premise of the series, there is absolutely nothing about this show that warrants the attention it is getting. Are people really so shallow that they fall for this sophomoric, gimmicky drivel? When I heard that it was actually winning awards I couldn't even believe by ears. Mad Men is every bit as trite and pathetic as our modern movies and music. Style over substance, nothing more. Expand
  8. Jun 18, 2011
    Mad Men is along with Breaking Bad the best show on TV. If you have not seen the show you are missing out. This is a show you have to watch from the beginning. The show is so subtle and nuanced. I can't even begin to describe how much I love this show. WATCH IT.
  9. Nov 24, 2010
    finally a show that makes you THINK! there is time to figure out what is going on for yourself, they don't spell it all out. characters are complex, unclear, frustrating, loveable--just like real people. great show!!!
  10. Dec 13, 2010
    overrated. just started watching the show. the first season was average. i should stop here. but since its "the best show on tv" i'm guessing it gets better in the second season.
  11. Jan 20, 2011
    Just started watching this show. Extremely entertaining. This show is not supposed to be life changing, it's just entertainment. I would like to ask the individuals that have rated this show below a score of "5" what they consider to be a "10" score this season. Please feel free to respond.
  12. Feb 8, 2011
    Mad Men shows great depths to the Characters, but is unfortunately lax with their story lines. I think the former makes up for the latter, and besides slack pacing, there really isn't a lot to complain about. One of the strong points of the whole series is how it says things without words, like the beautiful final shots of Don Draper that leave us wondering how one character can feel so much misery ,or eloquence, depending on the mood. Expand
  13. Apr 2, 2013
    Mad Men is certainly not a show that instantly grabs your attention like "24" or "Lost" but the subtle, yet well written, script and fantastic performances will slowly draw most viewers in over the course of this first season.

I can certainly see why some may complain that Mad Men is dull as the show certainly takes its time to introduce us to the characters and there motivations. Stick
    with it through the first half dozen episodes however and you will be rewarded with a show that continues to improve season upon season producing some of the most intelligent and interesting drama ever seen on television. Expand
  14. May 5, 2011
    This was the gem that got away (from HBO)...but gratefully, a show made all the more accessible to viewers on AMC. The music and strategic placement of the era songs, fashion and advertising campaigns make the ad family of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce (formerly Sterling Cooper) very alluring from a social-cultural perspective. That most of the cast are virtually new to many of us viewers (except those of us who fondly remember Robert Morse back in the day) compels us to keep our eye on the script and story driven developments. The stylish look, the visual and audio nuances and the political and cultural backdrop are enticements to keep us all watching from Season to Season. Many of us had hoped to see MAD MEN go off into the hemisphere....moving through the Camelot years of the 60s, through the roaring turbulence of the 70s....incorporating some of the Disco era....to the Morning in America, when our long national nightmare would really be over. Yet, negotiations appear to deprive us from this so there remains only 3 seasons left. What to do....what to do?? Expand
  15. Jun 8, 2011
    Season One: The Show is pretty good however the show lacks actual motive, structure and even plot but somehow the season is still entertaining which in itself is very impressive.
  16. Aug 20, 2011
    Just superb television. Works on so many different levels; like a lasagne. On the plus side watching this series has made me appreciate style and the joy of wearing a fine suit. On the downside it has made me want to start smoking again ;(
  17. Sep 5, 2011
    Let me preface with this statement: I wanted to like Madmen. I really really wanted to like it. I have been in a horrible lull in television. All of my staples are off air for a while and NetFlix has been making me question its loyalty to distracting me from being stuck in rural hell. I started Madmen because I religiously check Metacritic for show ideas and it just kept coming up on great shows lists.

Let's begin with what I do like. I constantly mental note the fashion. Jane is a bad ass **** Jon Hamm's acting skills aren't horrendous... thinking... thinking... grasping... I've got nothing. I can honestly think of nothing more. I couldn't even finish the available episodes because I simply can't give a **** about a single character or story line. Please allow me to go further.

I suppose Madmen writers and creators will say that the show is a bit of a satire. But it's satire like blackface is satire. It is... but you're a dick if you do it because you're not hitting your point. Shows in the 1950's/60's like Leave it to Beaver and I Love Lucy, flooded the airwaves with subservient domestic wives. The effects of this plus the push from lady's magazines caused an era of repressed, sad women that felt that their red lipstick and roasts were the only glue that kept their families together. Madmen does poke a little at this past sociological dark period, but at times I feel the glorification and glamorization of Mrs. Draper leans a little towards the promotion of the doormat wife. Madmen further punches women in the proverbial snatch by making Jon Hamm's incessant affairs so god damn acceptable all the while Mrs. Draper's perfectly reasonable reactions to her husband's affairs are portrayed in a way that make her seem difficult and nosy.

Yes, Madmen is a period piece. Yes, the period was one of psychological and sociological repression of women, but where the show takes a wrong turn is in a further promotion of the misogynistic attitudes that should not be apparent in the 21st century. Why does the show make Mrs. Draper so **** when she kicks her cheating husband out of the house? Why is Mr. Draper shown to be such a classy, evolved man, when his behavior is modeled after Hank Moody of Californication (or the real David Duchovny for that matter.)

I feel that in order for Madmen to pull the audience into the 1960's, they have lost integrity in their characters and their story. They have taken the fictional Leave it to Beaver Cleaver family as the reality for the 50's/60's family. When truly, by this time in American history nearly 40% of women and mothers were already in the workforce, most families were lower middle class, and many families adhered deeply to their cultural/ethnic heritage. Sociologist and TV aficionado Stephanie Coontz writes, "Contrary to popular opinion, Leave it to Beaver was not a documentary." Madmen missed that message.

to read more of my reviews go to: televisionhypnotism.blogspot.com
  18. Jul 12, 2013
    Most of the bad reviews on this website for this show don't understand one of two things:

1. This is an extremely accurate portrayal of the 60s. Everyone dressed like this, and many women acted like this.

2. As one reviewer said: Mad Men is a hamfisted portrayal of a some of the more obvious biases and blindnesses of the early 60s. As if every day dawned in 1960 in order to provide
    white men with opportunities to manifest their sexual and racial biases"

Not all white men were provide with "opportunities to manifest their sexual and racial biases," but the ad men on Madison Avenue were. They were notorious, but most men were relatively similar to today with maybe some sexism and racism mixed in.

I personally think it is one of the best dramas, if not the best drama I have ever seen. It's not exciting so to speak, and not much really even happens in the first season, but it is an EXTREMELY accurate portrayal of people and their interactions with each other that I find fascinating and sometimes hilarious. I for one probably find the show much more comical than I'm supposed to, but sometimes the characters get angry/sad for the dumbest of reasons and I find that really funny because even though the reason is stupid, half the time the character is too and nothing is inaccurate.
  19. Dec 16, 2011
    We love this show! Not very many shows out there give an honest representation of the American family but, this show has hit a nerve. America can't be summed up with a inane joke and a laugh track. We need to delve into our wonderful history and embrace both the good and the bad!
  20. Dec 29, 2011
    Mad Men is intelligent and eclectic. A brilliant depiction of an ad firm back when capitalism was just growing into the propaganda monster it has now become. The show is rarely short of beautiful women as they seem to serve as short-term muses to Don Draper, the show's maddest man.
  21. Jul 4, 2013
    One of the best shows ever written for television. It's 4 Best Drama Emmy awards can attest to that bold claim. It was ripped off of a record setting 5th in a row but whatever. No show has sustained the level of excellence that Mad Men has for 6 seasons in a row. They are supposed to have one final season as the show will culminate in 1969. I've always said that I want the show to end before we see Don Draper in bell-bottom jeans. However, if anyone could pull off that look it would be Dandy Don. Expand
  22. Dec 30, 2011
    Without any doubt the best serie I've ever seen. It has a nice story, which is very realistic. The early 60's are protayed very well - by great actors such as Jon Hamm and Elisabeth Moss.

Also January Jones fits her character perfectly, I haven't seen one scene of her where she didn't act wonderfully.

I can't wait to see the next season.
  23. Jan 16, 2012
    Art of Seduction 101! Don Draper can make TV women drop their panties with swagger. The Pick Up Artist! The only TV series with class and clever dialogue. No show can match its wit or office politics. Power play!
  24. Mar 26, 2012
    Excellent. Was a bit skeptical at first; due to the subject of the show. It didn't really pique my interest at first. But, I gave the first episode a try, and was completely drawn in by all of it. The atmosphere and authenticity of the time period is nailed perfectly here; you really do feel like your watching real life in the '60s. From the offices and rooms of the advertising agency, to the musty bars and taverns -- everything feels spot on. The characters are well developed & interesting; there's a lot to enjoy just from the characters themselves. The character development in this show is very in-depth and well thought out. Characters don't just stay stagnant and stay the same, they change and grow over time (Peggy being the greatest example of that -- this season, at least) as the show progresses. The acting is top-notch as well; Hamm, Moss, & Slattery in particular.

There is no reason not to love this show. Give it a try before you knock it.
  25. Apr 22, 2012
    The hype around this show was killing me and I really wanted to watch it, so I did and i did not regret wasting my time on it. Mad Men is awesome the era in which the show takes place is awesome the events that occur during each episode are interesting, the Actors are great and the backstory is great nonetheless. Big fan of the series so far !!
  26. Sep 20, 2013
    So amazing. The character development is phenomenal. Although I wasn't born quite a bit AFTER the 50's, 60's and 70's, I love taking a look into that world, in those times, with these characters. My advice: Just. Watch. It.
  27. Nov 1, 2012
    Though it takes quite a bit of time and effort to really submit into the world of "Mad Men", after a few episodes it's worth the patience. Once you become submerged in the business world of the '60's, it's ruthless, realistic atmosphere is so interesting that it's impossible to not be convinced that the actors involved really exist in our time. The show is consistently well-written, and every performance, particularly by Jon Hamm and January Jones, give it a sense of power that most TV shows beg for. Expand
  28. Jan 16, 2013
    This is one of the few shows I really love and must see on TV. AMC does a good job with most. Seasons 1-2 were excellent. Season 3 was good, but things are beginning to run their course. Same thing happened with Breaking bad and Nip Tuck after 2 good seasons.

I love this so much, I often have watched the encore presentation back to back
  29. Mar 4, 2013
    True to its time, and blatantly a goldmine for those whom fantasize of sophisticated dialogue, classy way of life, and superficiality in all its ostensible glory. I find myself deeply desiring more of Don Draper's business life, coinciding with his witticism and cliche-like presentations with clients, substantially more than his petty affairs. Perhaps such a hybrid not only exemplifies his character but also tends to market more to the feminine demographic. Expand
  30. Jan 4, 2014
    An intelligent, cool, refreshing and very enjoyable TV show. The representations of its time, place and people couldn't be more accurate nor interesting. Great, the beginning of a great series.
  31. Aug 19, 2013
    I wasn't sure about the score. Truth is, this show's somewhere in between seven and eight. I watched the whole thing, and it really has you connecting with some damn real characters and background. But there wasn't enough things going on for me. The events in season one were mostly, too expected.

I might give season two a shot, not sure yet.
  32. Aug 10, 2013
    Mad Men is a severely overrated drama containing hardly any drama, which is sort of critical to a drama. And with all of the sex, deceit, lies, secrets, infidelity, and shady motives, the lack of drama and intrigue is no less than shocking.
    The performances are monotonous with precisely two exceptions, the characters are monotonous with precisely two exceptions, the writing is monotonous
    providing only a superficial spectrum of the time period it's set in giving little to no historical insight, the long running story has almost no continuity as the actions and behaviors and the people these characters interact with hardly ever carry on or tie in later in the show, and there's never any kind of a perspective or a point given. Mad Men just kind of floats along with no objective, no motive, and no story, which is fine in some cases, like Pulp Fiction, but it at least Pulp Fiction is actually entertaining, and its characters have strong and likable personalities. Mad Men has no redemptive qualities other than its aesthetics. Yes, it looks and feels exactly like the 60s, but you can get about as much out of Mad Men as you can from google searching advertising campaigns from the 60s. Expand
  33. Aug 16, 2013
    Addictive and engaging yet subtle. Beautifully shot and acted with multi layered characters. The plot is always detailed and never obvious. Mad Men is unique and clever but always entertains.
  34. Oct 13, 2014
    I know a lot of people love this show and I respect that, but I honestly find it very boring. The plot is uninteresting to me and there is almost no action. To me mad men just seems like a well-written soap opera. If you think cinematography and writing matter more than simple enjoyment, this is definitely worth watching for you. If you just want a good show that doesn't make you ask yourself ''when is this going to be over?'' and a show that's not so slow and more exciting, than I'd highly recommend you skip it. Expand
  35. Jan 18, 2014
    The feminist in me had trouble getting into the show during the first episode. After hearing friends recommend it highly, I stuck with it and it's now one of my favorite shows. It's brilliantly done, expertly crafted characters with a story line that grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go. I love Betty (January Jones), she is compelling in a magnetic way. And Elisabeth Moss (Peggy) is the redeeming voice for women. For me, the show would've gotten a 10 if they had toned down the gratuitous nakedness. Overall, the psychology of the characters is fascinating, and the plot line addictive. Expand
  36. Mar 7, 2014
    I think that Mad Men is a great piece of TV/AMC history. I seriously think that Donald Draper is one of the best TV characters ( With Tony Soprano, Walter White, Frank Agnew, Harvey Spector AND Micheal Westin) But Madmen is a great piece of TV Histore it is for 14+ But I advise you.................... To watch this show
  37. May 15, 2014
    Mad men made this show alright. I don't know what kind of audience they are trying to target with Mad Men but I'm 20 and this show doesn't appeal to me at all, I guess they are going with the older crowd. This show has very poor dialog, very uninteresting plots nobody cares about, I like the idea of a show being set in the 1960s but couldn't they have picked anything more boring than an advertising agency?

I don't care about this show at all, it's completely boring and bad.
  38. May 26, 2014
    Mad Men is a great show; it really is an intriguing world that the writers have created and the acting is sublime. Although the decision to make a mid-season finale is dreadful as it was with Breaking Bad, I can't wait until I can finish this epic and I am curious to see if it all comes to a fantastic crescendo.
  39. Nov 15, 2014
    Requires a little patience, a few episodes from the second episode, but when you go watching, you goes enjoying it, trying to understand the ideas, the concepts of the time.

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Interestingly, a lot of nothing adds up to a big something.
  2. It's very filmic both in execution and ambition as it explores life before Betty Friedan and the Surgeon General's warnings on cigarette packs.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    What gives Mad Men its zing is that play is part of work, sexual banter isn't yet harassment, and America is free of self-doubt, guilt, and countercultural confusion.