Modern Family : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.7

1. Apr 2, 2016
    Modern Family is one the best comedy series ever, its documentary type sit-com is just hilarious. Especially when they look at the camera, recent seasons are not as good as first seasons but it's very hard to keep up being fresh so it's normal. Almost every episode made me laugh and feel like I'm watching a real family at the same time.
  2. Mar 23, 2016
    My first attempt at this series ended quickly as I didn't get the right feel. Then I stumbled upon a few episodes in the TV and decided to give it another spin. One of my best decisions.

The casting is superb (well apart from Lily and Luke, in some ways), dialogues and situations hilarious. Especially when you look at them from your own family's perspective. The show is consistent in

The show is consistent in quality throughtout it's 7 seasons and it's hard to find really poor episodes. It's easier to find pure gold here and there. Most of those situations could happen to you or me. It's just we wouldn't find a way out of them in such a funny or creative way.

What I got from this show is that I'd love to have a little bit more of Phil's enthusiasm in me, Claire's down-to-earth view, Gloria's confidence, Jay's ways of conveying lifetime's wisdom to his family. And I can see tiny bits of myself in them as well. Both when they make good and bad decisions.

At that's what makes this show great.
  3. Nov 10, 2015
    My only criticism of this show is that the actor who plays Cam overplays the ‘gay role’ too much. What is ironic is that in real life he’s straight while his TV partner is gay.

Besides that most of the cast is great. “Phil” is a cross between Ozzie Nelson and Ozzie Osborne. “Jay” is Al Bundy, but older. “Gloria” just isn’t a teenage boy’s wet dream but has her comedic moments, especially when she gets mad. “Claire” is tolerable and does have her comedic moments.

At the bottom of the pile when it comes to entertainment value for the show are Gloria’s son (Manny) and the Dunphy kids.
  4. Sep 13, 2015
    one of the best comedy show on TV .. there is so much fun , hilarious situations and modern beautiful family . Especially i love Dunphy's family .. everyone should to take a cue from characters
  5. Jun 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Episode 14 of Season 1 is probably one of their best. Great Phil & Claire moments. Gloria, Mitch and Manny have a great C storyline in which Mitch and Manny cautiously confront Gloria about her reckless driving. Claire struggles back and forth with her old colleague's successes (played by Minnie Driver) eventually taking her back to show off her family life, the best compilation of disasters ensues. And in the A-story Jay and Cam play racket-ball and end up touching butts in the locker room. Probably one of the best team-ups of the series. If I was showing this show to someone and had limited time, I'd show them this episode 3rd. Expand
  6. Mar 16, 2015
    Fresh and uniquely funny. I love how every person in the family is so true to his or her character, that they always bring something new to the table. I enjoyed every episode, and looking forward to some in the future! I've not been laughing like this for a while now... and you gotta love Mr Phil! Easily the funniest character in any comedy series' history!
  7. Feb 16, 2015
    I love this show at first it was very hilarious and now its not as funny, but they always surprise me with that. I love Luke and Haley I love Phil and Claire's family dysfunctional, but well entertaining. And Alex.
  8. Sep 25, 2014
    Modern Family is one of the most highly acclaimed comedy series today, and for good reason. Based upon a multicultural, gay and straight family, each episode sees a new family value being learnt - and in a warm, comedic way too. The acting is amazing, the characters are likeable and the dilemmas the family face are very relatable. A great comedy, very unique and worth the watch.
  9. Sep 12, 2014
    Definitely one of the best comedy shows - ever! It has hilarious jokes but it also a great story. The writing just keeps you waiting and the acting is truly remarkable. One of the best part is that it's a comedy that the whole family can watch, and nowadays that sort of comedy is hard to find. If you make a list of comedies you have to see before you die, Modern Family would be in the topDefinitely one of the best comedy shows - ever! It has hilarious jokes but it also a great story. The writing just keeps you waiting and the acting is truly remarkable. One of the best part is that it's a comedy that the whole family can watch, and nowadays that sort of comedy is hard to find. If you make a list of comedies you have to see before you die, Modern Family would be in the top 10, right next to Seinfeld and 30 Rock. Expand
  10. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Modern Family is one of the most funniest television shows I've ever seen. Besides being funny, it's still a very good show and every episode has a creative plot.
  11. Jul 10, 2014
    I found this show very enetetainment. I like how the has a variety of different characters and the families are different and the actkrs are outstanding. The episodes are each very interesting and hilarious therefore well written
  12. May 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shot in the now popular ‘mockumentary’ style Modern Family focuses on the lives of an extended family and has been sweeping the boards at the Emmys since this very first season. Until I recently I hadn’t got around to watching the show as I wasn’t totally sure it’s ‘mainstream’ humour would appeal to me but, having now seen all twenty-four episodes, I can see why it has proven so popular with critics and viewers alike.

I still haven’t quite got past the fact that the ‘Office’ style talking to the camera doesn’t actually make any sense in this scenario but the most important thing, as it always is with a comedy show, is that it is funny. Aside from the two daughters of Phil and Claire, who for me often came across as petty and spiteful for no reason, each of the characters is likeable and well rounded and brought to life superbly by an excellent cast. The writing is sharp and heartfelt, without ever becoming too sentimental, making for a sit-com that the whole family can enjoy.
  13. Apr 18, 2014
    How refreshing. In a land of gimmicky and uninspired television comedies, Modern Family remains one of the original, thoughtful and truly funny shows on television. The writing is surreal in it's smoothness and the combination of characters is just beautiful to watch. The sheer gayness of Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker is worth the price of admission. Smart, smart, smart humor hereHow refreshing. In a land of gimmicky and uninspired television comedies, Modern Family remains one of the original, thoughtful and truly funny shows on television. The writing is surreal in it's smoothness and the combination of characters is just beautiful to watch. The sheer gayness of Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker is worth the price of admission. Smart, smart, smart humor here with just the right amount of silliness. Quality without a doubt. Expand
  14. Feb 19, 2014
    best comedy Tv show ever. Every character are very strong. it is very funny but there is lot to learn about life. i like the style of story telling. A well written story.
  15. Jan 4, 2014
    An intelligent and fresh comedy with an excellent cast. The way each episode unfolds will keep you bound wit itsmultilinear stories with rich structure and dialogues.
  16. Oct 9, 2013
    A fresh, farcical comedy that came onto our screens in 2009. It has all our favorite family stereotypes but they are not portrayed in a negative way, rather they are full of character and comedy. A must see, if you haven't seen it.
  17. Aug 15, 2013
    The most delightful show on TV. A great cast, great lines, great stories in every episode. You just want more and more and more. I actually feel saddened when a season comes to an end, and I look forward to hearing about the next seasons!
  18. MHD
    May 6, 2013
    "Modern Family" is My Best TV SHOW The Performance Are All GREAT And PERFECT it Can't Be Better That Specially For Eric Stonstreet A Spectacular Performance Great Writing Directing And A Good Comedy And A Great Idea And Caracters
  19. May 3, 2013
    I love the show, it makes me laugh. The cast is great. The only problem is that the show is becoming worse and worse by the episode. They really need a huge jump to get my rating back at 10
  20. May 2, 2013
    Very funny with well established characters where you get to know each and every person, their name, personality and how they interact with the others. Unlike in some shows where you are left thinking, who is that again, whats his name, this show sets a new standard for establishing characters.

The mix of the different family groups, from the 2nd marriage of Jay, the gay couple and the traditional family of 5. Ed (Jay) really steals the show, his acting and believable is extraordinary, even you initially think of him as Al (Married with Children) that doesn't survive the first episode and he is now a very different person, a family guy, successful with time for the kids, almost the exact opposite of his role as Al.

A few other standouts for me, are my favorite characters. Gloria cracks me up with her loud intrusive ways, Luke has a certain way about him, Cameron is just a bundle of fun and you just have to see him run and lastly Lily who I thought was a bit of a nothing early on, sat there and barely moved, is now a clever little evil genius.

Hope it continues for many years.

PS: We love you too Phil.
  21. May 2, 2013
    love this show very funny and every character has their own thing gloria is a scream and the real star of the show I know as I am married to a colombian woman from the same city LOL
    all the kids are very good actors
  22. Jan 29, 2013
    Great show. I'm personally a massive fan of Gloria, who is absolutely hilarious. I wish this show had just a little more depth, but hey, it's a sitcom
  23. Dec 9, 2012
    Not bad not bad. I like this series. Its not like all the other comedy series (King Of Queens, 2 and a half men etc. ) There are no sounds of an audience and so you can laugh where you think its a nice funny scene. In KoQ and all other series its more a must because the audience laugh and you know immediately that you should laugh there. I like also that there are 3 families and each oneNot bad not bad. I like this series. Its not like all the other comedy series (King Of Queens, 2 and a half men etc. ) There are no sounds of an audience and so you can laugh where you think its a nice funny scene. In KoQ and all other series its more a must because the audience laugh and you know immediately that you should laugh there. I like also that there are 3 families and each one has another story to tell in each episode. Each charakter is different and funny on its own. Expand
  24. Oct 2, 2012
    This is a great show. The cast was virtually unknown to me when it started except Ed O'Neill. I quickly came to appreciate all of them. Everyone has contributes to the comedy and to the set backs they have to face as a family. The timing is great on the jokes and the way the cast plays off each other. I look forward to it every week.
  25. Sep 18, 2012
    One of the funniest shows ever, right up there with arrested development. One of the funniest shows ever, right up there with arrested development....
  26. Sep 17, 2012
    It's so refreshing to see a comedy that doesn't just treat it's homosexual characters as one-note gags, and as a complete package, Modern Family is a home-run. The actors are flawless, the writing is hilarious and the result is one of the best comedies on television.
  27. Aug 26, 2012
    I never watch TV show, like seriously, and I found this one from the post on tumblr and I thought, heck it won't do any harm just to check it out, I ended up falling in love with the show.
  28. May 26, 2012
    one of the funniest comedy shows i have seen since FRIENDS; which still remains my favorite. Modern Family is the best right now. I dont think there's been an episode where I havent laughed.
  29. Apr 18, 2012
    Funny, witty and just plain adorable. Both, writing and acting excel by the simple, but outstanding means of made. Sofia Vergara and Ty Burrell give astonishing performances of their thrilling comedic talent.
  30. Apr 2, 2012
    Excellent comedy. At first I did not like the new camera and i was not much into it but now i love it. Excellent writers and finally a comedy where there is less sex involved.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 15, 2010
    This remains far and away the best prime-time sitcom: crisp and farcical, but very kind. [25 Oct 2010, p.37]
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Modern Family is good. Better than good. Really good. O'Neil--dry and wonderful as ever--and Vergara (considerably less dry) are a winning combination.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Flitting among three storylines, it's smart, nimble and best of all, funny, while actually making a point about the evolving nature of what constitutes "family."