Modern Family : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
8.7

1. May 3, 2013
    I love the show, it makes me laugh. The cast is great. The only problem is that the show is becoming worse and worse by the episode. They really need a huge jump to get my rating back at 10
  2. Aug 15, 2013
    The most delightful show on TV. A great cast, great lines, great stories in every episode. You just want more and more and more. I actually feel saddened when a season comes to an end, and I look forward to hearing about the next seasons!
  3. KMT
    Oct 3, 2010
    I love this show! I think it is so funny! The characters have such unique personalities. I think the funniest is the larger gay guy. He always cracks me up!
  4. Oct 17, 2010
    I enjoy this show every week with its hilarious characters to the exaggerated portrayal of a gay family. I find it funny that the critics providing a negative review here all sound identically the same by providing comments that have no substance. Are you anti-gay ? Thats too bad because a majority of these critics have that much more fun in life. If this show sucked how come they receivedI enjoy this show every week with its hilarious characters to the exaggerated portrayal of a gay family. I find it funny that the critics providing a negative review here all sound identically the same by providing comments that have no substance. Are you anti-gay ? Thats too bad because a majority of these critics have that much more fun in life. If this show sucked how come they received a award? Expand
  5. Jul 19, 2011
    Funny show, but not the greatest. I do LOVE all of characters. The comedy is refreshing and Cam and Phil are my favorites. I hate characters limits. I hate characters limits. I hate characters limits.
  6. Jan 4, 2014
    An intelligent and fresh comedy with an excellent cast. The way each episode unfolds will keep you bound wit itsmultilinear stories with rich structure and dialogues.
  7. Jan 14, 2011
    This is really funny. Me and my family love it!
  8. Feb 19, 2014
    best comedy Tv show ever. Every character are very strong. it is very funny but there is lot to learn about life. i like the style of story telling. A well written story.
  9. SaraH
    Oct 15, 2009
    Love it love it love!! It makes me laugh each episode. I still can't believe someone other than HBO could create something so creative and funny! Perhaps this is a sign that networks are finally paying attention to something other than reality tv again!
  10. MoseS.
    Sep 24, 2009
    Absolutely hilarious!
  11. Dec 10, 2010
    Phenomenal cast. Clever writing. This is the perfect storm when it comes to sitcoms. They won the Emmy for a reason. If you're not watching this show then you are missing out.
  12. May 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shot in the now popular ‘mockumentary’ style Modern Family focuses on the lives of an extended family and has been sweeping the boards at the Emmys since this very first season. Until I recently I hadn’t got around to watching the show as I wasn’t totally sure it’s ‘mainstream’ humour would appeal to me but, having now seen all twenty-four episodes, I can see why it has proven so popular with critics and viewers alike.

I still haven’t quite got past the fact that the ‘Office’ style talking to the camera doesn’t actually make any sense in this scenario but the most important thing, as it always is with a comedy show, is that it is funny. Aside from the two daughters of Phil and Claire, who for me often came across as petty and spiteful for no reason, each of the characters is likeable and well rounded and brought to life superbly by an excellent cast. The writing is sharp and heartfelt, without ever becoming too sentimental, making for a sit-com that the whole family can enjoy.
  13. Mar 23, 2016
    My first attempt at this series ended quickly as I didn't get the right feel. Then I stumbled upon a few episodes in the TV and decided to give it another spin. One of my best decisions.

The casting is superb (well apart from Lily and Luke, in some ways), dialogues and situations hilarious. Especially when you look at them from your own family's perspective. The show is consistent in

The show is consistent in quality throughtout it's 7 seasons and it's hard to find really poor episodes. It's easier to find pure gold here and there. Most of those situations could happen to you or me. It's just we wouldn't find a way out of them in such a funny or creative way.

What I got from this show is that I'd love to have a little bit more of Phil's enthusiasm in me, Claire's down-to-earth view, Gloria's confidence, Jay's ways of conveying lifetime's wisdom to his family. And I can see tiny bits of myself in them as well. Both when they make good and bad decisions.

At that's what makes this show great.
  14. Mar 16, 2015
    Fresh and uniquely funny. I love how every person in the family is so true to his or her character, that they always bring something new to the table. I enjoyed every episode, and looking forward to some in the future! I've not been laughing like this for a while now... and you gotta love Mr Phil! Easily the funniest character in any comedy series' history!
  15. May 26, 2012
    one of the funniest comedy shows i have seen since FRIENDS; which still remains my favorite. Modern Family is the best right now. I dont think there's been an episode where I havent laughed.
  16. Jul 10, 2014
    I found this show very enetetainment. I like how the has a variety of different characters and the families are different and the actkrs are outstanding. The episodes are each very interesting and hilarious therefore well written
  17. Apr 18, 2014
    How refreshing. In a land of gimmicky and uninspired television comedies, Modern Family remains one of the original, thoughtful and truly funny shows on television. The writing is surreal in it's smoothness and the combination of characters is just beautiful to watch. The sheer gayness of Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker is worth the price of admission. Smart, smart, smart humor hereHow refreshing. In a land of gimmicky and uninspired television comedies, Modern Family remains one of the original, thoughtful and truly funny shows on television. The writing is surreal in it's smoothness and the combination of characters is just beautiful to watch. The sheer gayness of Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker is worth the price of admission. Smart, smart, smart humor here with just the right amount of silliness. Quality without a doubt. Expand
  18. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Modern Family is one of the most funniest television shows I've ever seen. Besides being funny, it's still a very good show and every episode has a creative plot.
  19. Jun 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Episode 14 of Season 1 is probably one of their best. Great Phil & Claire moments. Gloria, Mitch and Manny have a great C storyline in which Mitch and Manny cautiously confront Gloria about her reckless driving. Claire struggles back and forth with her old colleague's successes (played by Minnie Driver) eventually taking her back to show off her family life, the best compilation of disasters ensues. And in the A-story Jay and Cam play racket-ball and end up touching butts in the locker room. Probably one of the best team-ups of the series. If I was showing this show to someone and had limited time, I'd show them this episode 3rd. Expand
  20. Feb 16, 2015
    I love this show at first it was very hilarious and now its not as funny, but they always surprise me with that. I love Luke and Haley I love Phil and Claire's family dysfunctional, but well entertaining. And Alex.
  21. Sep 13, 2015
    one of the best comedy show on TV .. there is so much fun , hilarious situations and modern beautiful family . Especially i love Dunphy's family .. everyone should to take a cue from characters
  22. Nov 10, 2015
    My only criticism of this show is that the actor who plays Cam overplays the ‘gay role’ too much. What is ironic is that in real life he’s straight while his TV partner is gay.

Besides that most of the cast is great. “Phil” is a cross between Ozzie Nelson and Ozzie Osborne. “Jay” is Al Bundy, but older. “Gloria” just isn’t a teenage boy’s wet dream but has her comedic moments, especially when she gets mad. “Claire” is tolerable and does have her comedic moments.

At the bottom of the pile when it comes to entertainment value for the show are Gloria’s son (Manny) and the Dunphy kids.
  23. Apr 2, 2016
    Modern Family is one the best comedy series ever, its documentary type sit-com is just hilarious. Especially when they look at the camera, recent seasons are not as good as first seasons but it's very hard to keep up being fresh so it's normal. Almost every episode made me laugh and feel like I'm watching a real family at the same time.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 15, 2010
    This remains far and away the best prime-time sitcom: crisp and farcical, but very kind. [25 Oct 2010, p.37]
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Modern Family is good. Better than good. Really good. O'Neil--dry and wonderful as ever--and Vergara (considerably less dry) are a winning combination.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Flitting among three storylines, it's smart, nimble and best of all, funny, while actually making a point about the evolving nature of what constitutes "family."