• Network: TNT
  • Season #: 1
7.7

1. dch
    Mar 27, 2013
    Where was Dr. Buck last week for the gay marriage episode? On vacation or didn't want to broach the HIV issue with transplants? If you're going to explore a medical issue, you should fully explore it.
  2. Mar 24, 2013
    This is one of the best new doctor shows. The whole concept of the Monday Morning review of doctors and their surgeries is wonderful! The characters work well together the chemistry is fantastic. We love the Chinese doctor that keeps saying "Don't do dead"! The relationship between the head doctor and the Ving Raims is fantastic!
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    Beyond the character's needing some serious building in personality, a few in particular, after watching the first seven episodes I hope it continues. I liked it.
  4. Mar 13, 2013
    Monday Mornings is certainly watchable, but suffers several flaws. The M&M conferences might make for a nice gimmick to drive the show in theory, but in practice they are the show's weakest element. The show cannot keep pace with the precedent set in the pilot; as the episodes march onwards, the M&M conferences are less gritty, less tense, less interesting. They are a formality that is awkwardly shoehorned into every episode so that we can see a lot of dramatic close ups of the cast while Molina lectures them on the moral of the week. Watching Molina pour a glass of water in slow motion is not nearly as enthralling as Kelley imagines it to be. The patients every week consist of an awkward sideshow of pretentious, precocious nitwits who clumsily deliver the weekly moral without ever seeming authentic. The members of the cast do their best, to varying effect. Molina does his job expertly and Irving's performances, especially in the pilot, are enthralling. Bamber on the other hand never achieves credibility in his role, seeming more like a model from a shampoo AD who wandered confused onto a hospital set. The rest of the cast is certainly trying very hard to breathe life into their characters, and can't be held accountable for the poor writing that they have to work with. It isn't a terrible show, and the cast is worth watching, but the writing and pacing is not very impressive. Collapse
  5. Mar 9, 2013
    I didn't think I would, but I love this show. Another intelligent, quirky and informative show from David E. Kelley with Dr. Sanjay Gupta. I'm very glad I watched a few episodes before making a judgement, it's turned into a favorite. Give it a chance, you'll like it.
  6. Feb 21, 2013
    This show is bad for many reasons. The main reason is the premise of the show is completely unbelievable. Surgeons are not going to let themselves be grilled in a condescending way in front of their peers nor would legal allow it. Next, the writing is awful. The story lines are just cheesy and unbelievable while trying to be sappy and dramatic. My wife and I said to each other throughout the first two episodes, "This is just stupid." There is maybe one character I like but the rest are either too one dimensional and type cast or unrealistic like the Asian character that speaks in broken English like he's Yoda.

The only good would be that some of the filming is artistic, but I'm not sure why. Overall, it's just a bad show.
  7. Feb 20, 2013
    This show has 2 things going for it. 1. The writing, which is quite intelligent and sharp, and 2. Alfred Molina. It is a medical show with brilliant and arrogant surgeons, nothing new there, but they get dissected by Molina in a way that brings them down to earth.....briefly. Full of brilliant diagnoses (unlike the real world where it is rare) and deft hands, but with Molina and Ving Rhames I kid you not to do the levelling. My favorite character by far is the Chinese(?) surgeon with basic English skills and the bedside manner of Lurch. "What happens if I don't get this operation?" "Dead!" The show has a great sense of humor and is a great anti Grey's Anatomy, for those of us who are afflicted with nausea when our wives watches it. Expand
  8. Feb 13, 2013
    The only thing this show has got going for it is the beautiful cinematic way it was shot. Apart from that the plot is pretty dire and the characters are flat. There are some great actors but they cannot save this show. In my opinion nothing about this concept works as is and if they want to make it work they need to give us some characters we can care about.
  9. Feb 12, 2013
    While Monday Mornings is being billed as a "no-nonsense" sort of medical drama, it still has it's share of nonsense. It suffers from most of the things I typically dislike about medical dramas. This includes a cast chocked full of "pretty people" that look more like underwear models than brain surgeons. I won't name names (partly because I can't be bothered to actually google these people), but a few of the cast members possess acting styles that seem better suited for daytime soaps than a prime time drama. In addition, many of "dramatic" moments feel forced, and a tad silly. This includes the Monday morning morbidity and mortality conferences that is used as one of the show's primary gimmicks. And of course it wouldn't be a medical drama without at least one completely unnecessary romance (so far I count two). And despite all this, I still found myself entertained (for the most part) throughout both of the episodes I've now watched. Monday Mornings is, at it's core, a show about the difficult decisions that doctors have to make every day, and sometimes those decisions don't turn out well. The show offers a slightly more realistic, sometimes unpleasant, glimpse into the lives of surgeons. Medical dramas are at their best when they're interesting, and this is definitely the most interesting thing Monday Mornings has going for it.

While I am, at present, not entirely impressed by Monday Mornings, I do think it has the potential to be great. There are definitely problems; some of the characters need to be rounded out a bit. But there's enough substance to keep me coming back for at least the next handful of episodes.
  10. Feb 5, 2013
    Are you kidding me? This series is bland and dry. The attempts at writing funny comments completely fails. There is nothing here that we haven't seen in past medical dramas. The dreaded meetings in room 311 don't really make this medical drama stand out from the rest, because in the end it's just the same thing. On another note, the characters are no different from the traditional characters of a medical drama. Unlike House, where we got Dr. Gregory House, a brilliant mind with a deep character. The characters here are sloppily written and not interesting at all. Expand
  11. Feb 5, 2013
    The reviews are mixed but I enjoyed the first episode. Someone compared it to House but I think that is way off, more like the old ER. All veteran actors so I imagine if the writing is good it will be a good series.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Feb 8, 2013
    Most of Mornings is stock melodrama, and apart from Molina, not all that well acted. [18 Feb 2013, p.43]
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are few likable characters here, the centerpiece M&M meetings should be what sets the series apart but is actually bogging it down into nonsense.
    Not all the cases turn out badly, but enough do that the show takes on a rather grim formula.... That's a lot of talent to work with and the good news is that Monday Mornings shows signs of finding its voice by episode three.