• Network: ABC , CTV
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 3, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6
6.0

1. May 21, 2013
    Boring. The only other cops-and-robbers series that I can recall as having used this device of identifying the culprit from the git go was Columbo, and Motive is no Columbo. Once the audience knows who done it, the writers must come up with a lot more reasons to keep watching such a show than the trite banter that characterized the opening episode.
  2. Jul 12, 2013
    The show is called Motive. Enough said. Who wants to find out how a crime happened when we already know who the killer is? That already took the fun out of it for me. I care what the motive was but the could easily be a 5 minute show. Just ask the killer what the motive was and be done.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Lechevallier
    May 22, 2013
    Motive flounders chiefly, however, because it expends lasting suspense by providing the audience with all the hard facts they need up front, subsequently granting them an invitation to leave the party early.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    May 20, 2013
    Its nonlinear, whydunit approach makes the show stand out. The fractured loop-de-loop narrative creates not just surprise but suspense.
  3. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    May 20, 2013
    The characters don't feel any richer here than they do on CBS' various cop shows, and the series doesn't even commit to how much it wants to keep you guessing about why the crime occurred.