• Network: PBS , ITV
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 6, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.0

1. Jun 3, 2013
    I have never been more passionate about how much I dislike an actor's performance until I saw Piven as Selfridge. To mention this show in the same breath as Downton Abbey leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    I really wanted to like this. I love period pieces, and enjoyed both Downton and Call the midwife from PbS. This one was really disappointing. Piven's acting was not good, but he wasn't the only one to blame. There's a lot of subpar dialogue and some shockingly bad video editing at times. I couldn't make it through the 4th episode without dropping this; too many good shows to seeI really wanted to like this. I love period pieces, and enjoyed both Downton and Call the midwife from PbS. This one was really disappointing. Piven's acting was not good, but he wasn't the only one to blame. There's a lot of subpar dialogue and some shockingly bad video editing at times. I couldn't make it through the 4th episode without dropping this; too many good shows to see without wasting my time on this one!

saw this was picked up for a second season, and if I see really good reviews of that then who knows, maybe I will try to power through to catch back up. Otherwise I would say to avoid this.
  3. May 5, 2013
    Promising follow-on to Downton given the period, setting and production quality. The sets and costumes are sumptuous and the multiple story lines interesting, but we still tuned out after the first two episodes. Jeremy Piven ruined it: overacted, out-of-step, and a far too modern persona for ~1910's England. Instead, suggest using an empty refrigerator box to stage your own period drama.
  4. Feb 6, 2014
    What on earth are 1940-1950s style hairdos doing in a series set in 1909? No self respecting woman would have had shoulder length hair even if it meant getting a wig or hairpiece. Rather, it would have been very long hair piled up on the head. What a load of ridiculous rubbish!
  5. Mar 31, 2013
    I found this show almost unwatchable when it aired in the UK over the past couple of months. Piven's overacting and the tedious script ruined a story that has huge potential. I'd avoid if I were you
  6. Mar 5, 2014
    After watching only one episode, I can tell you it's one of the worst acted and directed programs I've seen in a very long time. The characters are wooden, Piven is abominable - a caricature of an American. If it doesn't improve, I won't be watching. It was truly a painful experience.

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Apr 1, 2013
    The sets and costuming are top-notch. The musical score is brash, if redundant. The personal dramas range from silly to
diverting.
  2. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Apr 1, 2013
    Mr. Selfridge really gets rolling in its third and fourth episodes, when its interlocking stories and Piven’s outsize performance settle into place.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Apr 1, 2013
    As drama, it's uneven, often cliched, even silly, but, like the store in which it's set--and whose ground floor, mezzanine and facade have been splendidly re-created--so variously stocked that you will likely find something here to take home.