Mrs. Harris

• Series Premiere Date: Feb 25, 2006
8.2

1. TedM
    Mar 10, 2006
    How on earth has this movie managed to get such high ratings. It's one thing to have a movie that's consistently wacked out, like Clockwork Orange or Fear and Loathing in LV, but this movie is all over the place. Sedate one minute, hallucinatory the next, muted and legalistic after that, then Spike Lee-esque, then grindingly tedious, then gonzo. For such a simple story, Nagy How on earth has this movie managed to get such high ratings. It's one thing to have a movie that's consistently wacked out, like Clockwork Orange or Fear and Loathing in LV, but this movie is all over the place. Sedate one minute, hallucinatory the next, muted and legalistic after that, then Spike Lee-esque, then grindingly tedious, then gonzo. For such a simple story, Nagy makes it extremely convoluted -- in the hopes, I suppose, of making it seem more complex and psychological than the Diet Doc murder really was. The whole thing felt to me like an unpleasant feminist's rants, given while suffering from a bad acid trip. Expand
  2. JackC
    Mar 1, 2006
    Kudos to HBO for putting this very grown up movie on its station. It won't appeal to kids or to those who want to come and go while it's on, but for people who want to be challenged to think, it's the perfect thing. Very funny, very smart, heartbreaking.
  3. marcelaf
    Mar 12, 2006
    Would have liked knowing the grounds for clemancy.
  4. KathleenS
    Mar 4, 2006
    Loved it! Stylishly done with first-rate acting.
  5. Lori
    Aug 5, 2006
    Refreshingly complex. Brilliant performances. This film does not spell out the motivations and intentions of its characters: the viewer must think and wonder while watching. If only more films would assume that the viewer is up to that task!
  6. GiaS
    Feb 21, 2006
    I saw this film at the Toronto Festival, and I was so overwhelmed by its genius, I had trouble sleeping. Haunting, it's so diligently intimate, I felt as if I were part of this tragic, compelling story. The cast is utterly brilliant, but the director/writer is the genius here. The varieties of perspective, the artful angles and views, the whole film is just genius, and, in my I saw this film at the Toronto Festival, and I was so overwhelmed by its genius, I had trouble sleeping. Haunting, it's so diligently intimate, I felt as if I were part of this tragic, compelling story. The cast is utterly brilliant, but the director/writer is the genius here. The varieties of perspective, the artful angles and views, the whole film is just genius, and, in my opinion, far too big for the small screen, especially with this stellar cast. It really begs for a great big screen. A tour de force, in every way. Expand
  7. PeggyD
    Feb 25, 2006
    I read the book when it published, lived through the events and trial, and I have always been riveted by Harris's obsession and capacity for such profound denial. Sad to say there was no jmention of her quiet life in NH now or her contribution to women's programs in corrections.
  8. EllenK
    Feb 27, 2006
    Mesmerizing, should have been a contender!
  9. JackK
    Jan 19, 2007
    Excellent acting, writing, directing. Complicated, funny, asks difficult questions. Should have won all the tv movie awards this year.
  10. SterlingM
    Mar 11, 2006
    Truly unusual, thought provoking movie with great performances and excellent technical contributions

This kind of brittlely accurate performance is something to watch in the hands of an actress like Bening, who seems incapable --even during the film’s most blackly humorous moments -- of a false, Fatal Attraction–like note.
    Annette Bening is stunning in this smart biopic.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    The movie's fun to watch, but also rather hollow, reminding me of last season's HBO movie The Life and Death of Peter Sellers. Both are well acted but with such obvious stories to tell they soon grow tiresome.