• Network: USA
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 29, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
5.8

1. Jul 9, 2011
    We have to be honest with ourselves here. Yes, we all love Callie Thorne (from Homcide, The Wire, Rescue Me), but the writing on this show is atrocious. And yes, I watch just about every other USA summer show, so I gave it 2 episodes before pulling the plug on this. It's really too bad. If you really need your therapist fix, go for HBO's In Treatment - start with Season 1. And if youWe have to be honest with ourselves here. Yes, we all love Callie Thorne (from Homcide, The Wire, Rescue Me), but the writing on this show is atrocious. And yes, I watch just about every other USA summer show, so I gave it 2 episodes before pulling the plug on this. It's really too bad. If you really need your therapist fix, go for HBO's In Treatment - start with Season 1. And if you want more light USA fare, try Covert Affairs, Suits, or Royals Pains. I know you're already watching Burn Notice, so there's no need to make that argument. Expand
  2. Sep 8, 2011
    I have watched almost every show on USA the past several years, but I could not watch Necessary Roughness. Quite simply the show is horribly written. The characters are shallow and contrived. The dialogue is atrocious. And, while Callie Thorne has been good in most everything else she is in, she is hardly convincing as a therapist. Of course, most of this can be blamed on the writers, whomI have watched almost every show on USA the past several years, but I could not watch Necessary Roughness. Quite simply the show is horribly written. The characters are shallow and contrived. The dialogue is atrocious. And, while Callie Thorne has been good in most everything else she is in, she is hardly convincing as a therapist. Of course, most of this can be blamed on the writers, whom I am not sure even understand what a therapist does! Expand
  3. Sep 27, 2011
    saw one episode and it was dumb....shameful how they misrepresent poker as all shows do. and ill tell you one more thing i want holyfield, i want holyfield.
  4. Jul 25, 2011
    I only watched the premiere. The characters were shallow. The acting seemed stiff. The dialogue sounded contrived. The acting was probably stiff because of the lousy writing. There is just so much you do do with a part. These folks have done much better on other shows. Unless the writing team is changed it is hard to imagine this getting better.

1. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    Aug 1, 2011
    Necessary Roughness hasn't scored a touchdown yet, but it's early in the game.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Jul 5, 2011
    Sins of fathers and mothers not only visit each of the characters, but infest them; the show shimmers with an inner core of volcanic anger that makes it far more interesting than your average family soap.
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Jun 30, 2011
    A fine summer show is launched, slick but with feeling, and all the orange-and-red football-season foliage on-screen contributes to a diverting brisk breeziness.