New Amsterdam : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2
8.5

1. AdamG.
    Mar 6, 2008
    A great show with a lot of potential ! The lead has great presence.
  2. MichaelA.
    Mar 16, 2008
    The characters are generally likable and the writing is smart and funny. I was generally surprised that I would enjoy the show this much.
  3. MasJ.
    Mar 5, 2008
    Season premiere was surprisingly slow and the gimmick of older people recognizing the star as an acquaintance from long ago was already strained.
  4. KristinaJ.
    Apr 10, 2008
    This is the best show out there. It's original and the fact that its a combination between a crime series and sci fi makes it suspenseful.
  5. CodyB.
    Mar 10, 2008
    Its about time Fox comes out with a series different than the crap they usually release. I hope they get more into his past and spend a little more time doing it. It would be cool if they tie some of the murder mysteries in with his past.
  6. RichoTB
    Mar 7, 2008
    Wow. This show is absolutely horrendous. I don't have a clue why people are claiming its a paranormal drama... people are going on as if its got some unique plot device the likes of which Tru Calling, Supernatural or Moonlight contains. It doesn't. It really is just another generic, mundane, boring cop show, and the concept of an immortal protagonist sounds a lot more exciting Wow. This show is absolutely horrendous. I don't have a clue why people are claiming its a paranormal drama... people are going on as if its got some unique plot device the likes of which Tru Calling, Supernatural or Moonlight contains. It doesn't. It really is just another generic, mundane, boring cop show, and the concept of an immortal protagonist sounds a lot more exciting than how its executed in this series. Nothing worthwhile to say about it really. Sure, its not as bad as Women's Murder Club, but its still really awful. It does absolutely nothing interesting or entertaining to hold your attention. This show is the epitome of boring, just another murder-of-the-week police procedural with characters as dull as dishwater. Tired, uninspired, boring and pointless. Not worth bothering with. Expand
  7. BK.
    Apr 10, 2008
    I rarely get caught up in TV drama, much less police/detective shows. This one has me spell-bound. Good story line, great acting, fast-moving, humor, and underlying thoughtful issues about time and relationships. Wow!
  8. ScottP.
    Apr 14, 2008
    Love the show, and love the blending of history into the show. Some of the flashbacks are a bit to long.
  9. TaniaM.
    Apr 20, 2008
    Love this show.
  10. MelissaW.
    Mar 11, 2008
    The main character is a bit boring. I just can't get used to his son being 30 years older than him. I just couldn't get into the show. It moved at a really slow pace.
  11. AdriM.
    Mar 4, 2008
    Interesting since the begining. John Amsterdam is a very interesting character. Let's hope they don't waste it with just the police investigations plot.
  12. JimmyH.
    Apr 14, 2008
    Good writing, interesting premise, flashbacks put a new spin in every episode
  13. LindaK.
    Apr 14, 2008
    Love the show. Vaulted to our family's favorite show... over House and the CSI's. Totally unique concept. I find the history references refreshing. Please bring N.A. back next season!
  14. Håvard
    Apr 16, 2008
    Great show, easily my favorite show out there right now. Really like the historic perspectives, the main character and the fact that he has had/have kids. The Highlander series was also a nice idea, but it always lacked the emotional background of 1 person being the father of whole generations and seeing them evolve. Something the writers should be able to make some really nice episodes out of.
  15. MichaelM.
    Apr 26, 2008
    Make more episodes!! Please!
  16. DaveB.
    Mar 11, 2008
    Not that bad a show - not that good either, but about a hundred times more watchable than the dreadful Canterbury's Law.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Please keep this series going. It has us all glued to our seats.

1. New Amsterdam is smart and far more original than most of the new series this season, which warrants it becoming a Monday habit.
    The whole enterprise is very shoddy and predictable, and I can’t imagine that anyone involved did this for anything but a paycheck.
  3. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Marc Bernardin
    The debuting metaphysical cop drama comes on like a randy high schooler, dumping too much backstory too fast. [7 Mar 2008, p.88]