• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 28, 2010
6.7

1. Nov 16, 2010
    I've always been a sucker for shows about people with superpowers, so I was more than ready to love this show. The premise is fun and they could have done some cool stuff with the show, but they haven't. In fact, I find it almost impossible to believe that any of the writers of this show have written for Chuck and Smallville, which, granted, aren't Emmy-worthy shows, but are stillI've always been a sucker for shows about people with superpowers, so I was more than ready to love this show. The premise is fun and they could have done some cool stuff with the show, but they haven't. In fact, I find it almost impossible to believe that any of the writers of this show have written for Chuck and Smallville, which, granted, aren't Emmy-worthy shows, but are still entertaining. The writing, pacing, and direction of this show is painfully clunky and dull as can be. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a show that was meant for but rejected by even ABC-Family or the Disney channel, meaning, ridiculous plotlines, amateur dialogue, caricatured characters, and simplistic conflicts. This is the kind of show where you start feeling like your brain is starting to slow down and get more dull, by being exposed to something equally so. I am just so disappointed by this poorly imagined and executed show, that I just can't stand watching it anymore. And, seriously, my standards aren't that high. :-) Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2010
    I really wanted this show to work but it already feels like the wheels are falling off. It seemed as if the writers were playing the appropriate pacing game, keeping things slowed down, giving the characters plenty of face time to emote so viewers could empathize, but there just aren't enough details for a viewers to lose themselves in while we're waiting for things to heat up.
    This ones
    This ones skewing towards the younger kids (10-15), and giving us grown up kids too much time to get distracted.
    It's snoozin' and quickly losin'.
  3. Nov 8, 2010
    This family of (fantastic) four can be somewhat bland and whiny, they can annoy you with sanitized cursing ("goshes" and "hecks" abound) and teen/marital problems you have seen a thousand times (and done much better), but it can also be kind of fun in the superpower-exerting parts. At least it does not seem it will be utterly pointless and pay-off-free like "Heroes". This is a superheroThis family of (fantastic) four can be somewhat bland and whiny, they can annoy you with sanitized cursing ("goshes" and "hecks" abound) and teen/marital problems you have seen a thousand times (and done much better), but it can also be kind of fun in the superpower-exerting parts. At least it does not seem it will be utterly pointless and pay-off-free like "Heroes". This is a superhero show for the whole family and, as it is often the case, no member of the family will be terribly excited about it. But no-one will hate it either. So... Expand
  4. Jan 30, 2011
    Too much "family", and not enough "no ordinary". The production is ok, but the emphasis on the average suburb american family is naive and flat. Even the mediocre "Heroes" was more interesting...
  5. Feb 10, 2011
    I expected more from this show, all the advertisements for it portrayed it as more of Superhero show than what it really is; a slowpaced cop out about a family who gains powers and do next to nothing with them. Admittedly though, some parts of this show are enjoyable.
  6. Mar 8, 2011
    The idea is good, but the development is poor. The worst thing of the show is the teenage actors and the sidekicks. Chiklis and Benz try to save the show, but the dialogues are too poor to do something about it.
    There is a lack of plot and the fx are BAD!
  7. Mar 29, 2011
    I have a hard time watching No Ordinary Family because I had SUCH HIGH HOPES before it premiered. Ever since then every time I watch im just reminded of what kind of show it could (should) have been.
  8. Aug 11, 2013
    There has certainly been no shortage of superhero's on TV in recent years and, as a result, any new shows in the genre need to be truly great to stand out. Unfortunately No Ordinary Family can only be described as, well, ordinary.

The cast, that includes Micheal Chiklis and the gorgeous Julie Benz, is certainly very good but they are let down by an average script as well as the slow moving, and quite frankly rather dull, plot. To make matters worse this is very much a 'family drama' (complete with moody teenage kids) and so there is absolutely zero chance of anything particularly shocking happening to any of the main cast.

If you have young(ish) kids this might be something worth watching together but there are certainly much better drama series available.

1. Reviewed by: Kris King
    The pilot offers up the promising and the bland in about equal measure. With its accomplished adult cast, and writers from Chuck and Smallville, the show could go on to make for a pretty fun adventure series, but the looming threat of boring teenage gloom and the hints of a convoluted plot involving Stephanie Powell's sinister employer could sink whatever potential there is.
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Family is a trifle--part comic book, part kids' show--that is perfectly pleasant but without edge, bite or dramatic heft. With Chiklis aboard, it's like witnessing a concert pianist execute an elaborate version of "Chopsticks."
  3. The show's premise has enormous potential--it's essentially a live-action version of "The Incredibles," about a family that gains superpowers--but Tuesday's premiere disappoints with its slow-moving plot and whiny characters.